• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice! How far are you with your Venetian Ambition?

Well, it's early days yet; read on and find out! :p

Venice, Vidi, Vici - Part 2​

30576095.jpg

Venice, circa 1403

With a decent foothold in the Balkans, Venice is on the right track to meet its great ambitions. Italy is still a way off yet; with the northern states all being members of the HRE, expansion in to the richest parts of the peninsula will be difficult.

The Balkans, on the other hand, remain open to conquest. Unfortunatly, the quick grabbing of Achea and the unlawful vassalisation of Aquelia and Ragusa has resulted in an infamy score of 14; this is having terrible implications on our previously thriving trade, as well as harming our relationships with our allies and enemies alike. For this reason, the Balkans are also off limits until either infamy is reduced to a sustainable level, or a suitible casus beli gives us the opportunity to expand.

As mentioned at the end of the last update, the Castillians have convinced the Pope to launch a crusade against the Morroccans. With this, they took a valuable city on the North African coast. Not to allow a good opportunity go to waste, I decide to join in with this crusade for several reasons:

1) Grabbing a city on the edge of Europe this early will allow it to core with plenty of time to spare before the 16th century rolls around, giving us an edge in the colonial race to the Americas

2) A port at the mouth of the Mediterranean allows for a quick blockade should the likes of England or one of the Balkland nations be dragged in to a war with us

3) The Holy War casus beli against a weakened enemy should allow us to take high base tax provinces for a fraction of the infamy cost; avoiding infamy is of great importance to us at this stage, so this is a rare occasion in which land grabbing is acceptable

22200100.jpg

The latest targets of Venetian ambition

So, only a few months after our last war, we prepare once again to do battle; this time in the name of the heavans!

Come October, a new leader is elected to lead us through this war; an excellent candidate for fighting the enemy, however his low diplomacy score won't help with the infamy reduction...

30610819.jpg

On the 25th of December 1403, all preparations are completed. Let us hope that this war ends as swiftly as the last...

81926808.jpg

The plan this time is to divide our troops in a manner that forces the Morroccans to either split their forces in to manegable sizes, or launch an all out offensive with all of their men to allow us to regroup and overpower them. This is done by sending two large 4,000 man armies to the provinces of Toubkhal and Fez, while sending 1,000 men to the cities of Tangiers and Ceuta. No matter where the enemy attacks, they shall be forced to fight us against favourable terrain, with reinforcements just days away.

33090481.jpg

The plan works perfectly; the Morroccans are forced to fight us in the mountains with divided forces. Out manned and outmanouvered, the Morroccans are forced on to the retreat!

31132062.jpg

92160602.jpg

With that, we pursue, all the while sending small armies to secure our targets. The war, it would seem, should be over before 1405.

29733407.jpg

With all of our men in Morrocco, the navy is foolishly left to recover in Mellina. The crafty Morrocans seize the opportunity, sending their remaining forces straight to our capital! With only 2,000 men in Trevizo, seperated from the capital by a large crossing, we shall have to wait for our navy to return to eliminate thier transports and give our men free passage to stop them from ruining our plans! Should Venice fall, we shall be set back many years in our plans, and most likely be forced to surrender to the Morroccans; the race is on!

52337867.jpg

Just to make things worse, we also get a rather nasty event that sets our trade research back at least half a decade; this new event system can be a cruel mistress sometimes...

34046978.jpg

To compensate, we entact Stato de Mar; this should help us recover from the losses in trade technology. It's also worth noting that the French have established a foothold on the Italian peninsula; this could be a great hurdle later on if left unchecked.

40974505.jpg

Meanwhile, in Morrocco, the last of the enemy forces are eliminated, making way for a fast victory; let us hope that we can defeat them before they capture Venice!

22053634.jpg

On the 23rd of June, the African nation of Tripolli joins the fray. This will require us to deploy our newly built galleys, however no troops can be spared to go on the offensive. Again, note the French defeating our Italian brothers...

29657898.jpg

With another 1,000 cavalry recruited with money from the rapidly depleting treasury, we launch an attack to lift the siege on Venice; God speed, men!

12762819.jpg

The summer passes, and still no cities have been taken from the Morroccans. While our offensive to defeat the enemy in Venice was successful, we cannot afford to keep the war going for too much longer. To add insult to injury, the remanents of the Byzantine empire have the audacity to leave our trade league, along with the Serbs! Such insolence shall be punished later, but for now we shall leave them to their own demise...

44841368.jpg

Finally, in December, the enemy capital falls. This is just the beginning of the end for the Morroccans; the Argonese also declare war on the crippled foe, while our men prepare to launch offensives on the enemies remaing cities!

37192490.jpg

Finally, in April 1405, four months later than we expected, we caputre our targets. The Morroccans are more than happy to let us liberate the two cities in exchange for the withdrawral of our men.

42372053.jpg

With that, our empire spreads further; we now have land on both sides of the Mediterranean!

98916412.jpg

See what I mean by low aggressiveness doing wonders for borders?

Alas, this rapid expansion has come at a great unforseen cost. With 15 infamy, our trade suffers and our coffers begin to run dry. It seems that war shall have to be postponed for years to come until we get back on our feet. As well as this, it would appear that while the cities of Tangiers and Ceuta are high tax provinces, we shall not see a ducat of that income until we build two large ships to protect the sea lanes; another amature mistake that I shall not make again...

18444917.jpg

The following few years see us consolidate our winnings; revolt risk is high in the newly claimed territories, however a stretched budget makes military expenditure take a back seat. Rebellions become difficult to put down, but we manage all the same. In Italy, war rages as the Milanese fight for their lives as the last undefeated opponents of the French on the peninsula. We choose to leave the Milanese be, as we do not wish to weaken their resolve against these foreign invaders. We must also remain at peace until we reduce infamy; without a low infamy score, our trade suffers terribly, unable to compete with the penalties against compete chance. With the unlocking of our first idea, I choose the "shrewd commerce practice" NI, in order to counterbalance these losses. While the 10% bonus allows us to reclaim some lost merchants in Ligueria, it shall not be enough to support a struggling republic.

When 1407 rolls around, another elction is held. This time we opt for a leader with high diplomacy to help allieviate us of our terrible infamy problem. What new exploits shall this new leader seccure? What does the future hold for the most Serene Republic? Only time will tell...

52140492.jpg

Last edited:
Despite my best intentions to play as a trading nation in almost every game I end up abandoning that effort because conquest + infamy = no merchants in non-owned COT's. That may be realistic but it simply means I end up being a mercantilist who only trades in my own markets. If you're going to be doing much conquering - and there's a fair amount of infamy in all those small Italian states - then you're going to have to grab some COT's. Genoa would be nice, right :)

What government level do you need to build the embassy improvement? That helps a lot with reducing infamy.

I think its ridiculous that those are distant overseas.

Anything on another continent is distant overseas.

For example, playing as Spain, the Canarias are not distant overseas, while Tangiers, which is literally just across the channel is.

Kinda doesn't make sense.

Not bad at all! Did you get those large ships into production? (also, protip: Small ships help with sealane effectiveness as well, though I expect technology won't allow them for a while yet)

You've got a good Doge for this period, high admin and diplo is just what you need, while it will be at least another election or two before you need a military leader. :)

Despite my best intentions to play as a trading nation in almost every game I end up abandoning that effort because conquest + infamy = no merchants in non-owned COT's. That may be realistic but it simply means I end up being a mercantilist who only trades in my own markets. If you're going to be doing much conquering - and there's a fair amount of infamy in all those small Italian states - then you're going to have to grab some COT's. Genoa would be nice, right :)

What government level do you need to build the embassy improvement? That helps a lot with reducing infamy.

I'm not entirely sure; I'll be sure to say when I find out.

And yes, I can see now that owning a trade league can be problematic when you are interested in conquest; all that it means is that I shall have to go free trade at some point (as I am one of the few people who like the bonuses it acrues :p ) and that I'll have to be careful when making landgrabs. I suppose the "Keep the trade league" goal will be the bayonet in the back for the "No gamey tactics" rule, as well as keep my minor role-play element (as elaborated upon in the first post).

I think its ridiculous that those are distant overseas.

Anything on another continent is distant overseas.

For example, playing as Spain, the Canarias are not distant overseas, while Tangiers, which is literally just across the channel is.

Kinda doesn't make sense.

I agree, however I suppose that's just one of the limitations of the older engine.

Looking good, Venice.

Thank you, though with a goddamned flying golden lion on the flag, its pretty hard not to :D

Not bad at all! Did you get those large ships into production? (also, protip: Small ships help with sealane effectiveness as well, though I expect technology won't allow them for a while yet)

You've got a good Doge for this period, high admin and diplo is just what you need, while it will be at least another election or two before you need a military leader. :)

I find that republics almost always get a really good leader; not to mention that you can simply re-elect one later if he does't suit your needs. It's one of the best pluses of being a republic!

As for the ships, I'll elaborate in the update ;)

Last edited:
Venice, Vidi, Vici - Part 3

Following the Venetian-Morroccan war, things were looking pretty poor. Money was running short due to dwindling trade, rising military costs and a lack of funds to invest in a proper navy to assure our tarrifs return home safely. Trade was difficult in foreign markets because of high infamy and revolters siezed every opportuinty they could to oppose our ever stretched military; it would take drastic action to turn the tides before Venice found its self on an irreversible course to stagnation, or worse, desturction.

It is now the year 1409. The situation has reached boiling point; unable to expand and with increasingly expensive loans being taken due to a lack of funds (a total of 375 ducats), I decide that the demand for immediately available money is dire. Rather than take another loan, I take the risky move of investing all income in to minting. My hope is that we shall have raised enough funds before inflation reaches 3% to spend on merchants and generally keep us afloat for a few years.

79306180.jpg

I also use my slider movement to make the government more plutocratic; moving toward centralisation would inevitably cause a rebelion, one which would probably be difficult ot put down, however moving towards free trade would not reap us benefits abroad until we hit the 0 mark on the slider. Plutocracy reaps immediate benefit to our traders, as well as giving this nice little bonus:

78323602.jpg

We put the treasurer that we recieve to work in place of our naval reformer. This proves benefitial almost immediatly, giving us a 600 ducat bonus to trade investment, displacing the previous event that reduced our investment to zero.

64558883.jpg

1409 closes with a small, albeit fairly useless, core gained on Toubkhal; this could prove useful should I choose to engage in exploration earlier than I otherwise could, but for now it remains a nice potential bonus.

When 1410 rolls around, it is apparent that infamy is now going down at a far more manageable level. With our five star diplomat and high diplomacy ruler, we begin to shed infamy at a rate of 1.10 per year. We could well be on the way to war before the decade is done! Well, war on our own terms anyway; the Hungariens request our assistance in a war against various Germanic states. We choose to offer minimal assistance, deploying our men from Treviso to the Bavarian capital.

30896720.jpg

13227092.jpg

Unfortunatly, this results in Bavaria, a trade rich nation, withdrawing from our trade league. To compensate, we request that Aragon and her vassal join the trade league. Our high deplomacy doge pulls this off, bringing new wealth to Venice!

45245094.jpg

Soon, the Hungarians secure a peace with the Bavarians thanks to Venetian assistance. What a pointless little war that turned out to be. On the same day, we finally advance a trade tech level!

13758736.jpg

Of course, with every bit of good news seems to come equally poor news; a potentially deadly revolt in our Morroccan holdings forces us to negotiate with them, costing us money that we can't spare.

50514424.jpg

Another election is held, this time giving us another high deplomacy ruler. His administrative skills are somewhat lacking, but, for the time being at least, this is not too much of a problem.

44172174.jpg

By the 22nd of Febuary, 1411, we finally have the funds to construct our two carraks necissary for our trade lanes. This short term cost shall have to be recovered with our continued, relentless minting campaign. The benefits begin to be seen in 1413 upon their completion as tarrifs begin pouring in to our coffers! The two ships are placed in the port of Tangiers, though what use they shall be against a naval invasion is questionable at best.

35903619.jpg

52335269.jpg

For the next few years, all is quiet in the most Serene Republic. The minting campaign is stopped in 1415, as we finally re-establish our presence in foreign markets. With money coming in from the mouth of the Mediterrannean and infamy falling to a manageable 6.5, all seems to be well once again in Venice. The only occurance of note for a long time is in July 1415, when the Byzantine Empire annexs the last free coastal Balkan state.

62486984.jpg

Another year, another election, this time bringing a better balanced Doge. His adminastrative skill allows us to pass the Liquor act, bringing much needed revenue to our coffers!

66926186.jpg

Now that things are looking more stable, my thoughts turn to trade. Our trade league is doing well, though there is certainly room for improvement. One league that always proves an irritation is that of the Genoan League; for every nation that leaves our trade league, they're there to invite them to theirs.

39582841eb.jpg

The trade leagues of Europe, 1416

To try and shake things up in Ligueria, we look for an excuse to weaken them as a nation. While it will be impossible to dismantle their league through war, it will be possible to both cripple them economically and take on of their Black Sea holdings as our own. A province bordering a horde may be risky, but it would open the floodgates for opportunites to expand, as well as bring in another rich province to our Mediterranean trading empire.

With this in mind, I prepare for war. My only concern is that the pesky Bungerdian emporer will intervene. Fortunatly, our large allys should deter him; not to mention that he is currently caught up in his own war!

57963970.jpg

High diplomacy and careful alliance maneging pays off; I'd like to see you intervene now, Mr. Emporer!

90968572.jpg

Unexpectedly, we land our troops in Ligueria only to find the Milanese have beat us to it! All but one of the Genoan lands are occupied by Milanese forces. They sue for peace with minor monetary reparations a few months later, leaving the Genonese ability to make war... limited.

91966698.jpg

It looks as if this really will be a short war after all!

While we are occupying their defenceless lands, we get a very welcome event indeed!

85144683.jpg

With the money, we pay off one of our loans. The interest on the remaining loans is still proving costly; it shall be a while before we have the capital to repay them all. Unfortunatly, minting is out of the question as inflation has hit my self imposed 3% limit. As I learnt in my last AAR, inflation can kill a nation if left unchecked for too long...

64844315.jpg

In 1419, we sue for peace with a defeated Genoa, taking the city of Kaffa off their hands on the coast of the Black Sea. It looks as if we shall be at war with the Golden Horde soon; our new aim is to capture some more land on the Black Sea, however the Golden Hordes armies are vast, and their Russian advisaries have been temporarily silenced. This will either prove to be our most costly gamble yet, or be very profitable. We shall have to wait to see the results...

Italy remains a distant goal; with infamy now at 7, we cannot afford to wage mindless war with highly protected city states. The Balkans too look like they shall be difficult to crack; the Ottomans are our only advisary in the region that we have a CB against, but their large armies and navy will prove problematic.

Come June of 1419, the Argonese are excommunicated. Why is this significant? Well, the Argonese have small holdings in Italy! This could be our chance!

54245538.jpg

For now though, we revel in our recent victories and new opportunites. From the brink of disaster, Venice is back, richer and stronger than ever before!

_________________________________________________​

This AAR is three updates in, and it is apparant that while I have a lot of nice long term goals, I have no real short term ones; that is why I'm asking you guys to suggest some short term goals! I will hopefully be able to aim for these within the next few updates, which I feel would make things more intersting! The whole idea of this AAR, after all, is that I aim to achieve them!

Last edited:
Destroying Genoa is kinda a short term goal, it's not like they're France or anything too big.

I'd say keep going for Genoa as well. As for the GH that seems like it could be a pretty big distraction since unless they end up in major fights with the Eastern Europeans.

I recomend attacking Milan so you could eliminate the only serious threat to your goal of unifying Italy.Also,from personal experience,I do not recomend minting,wich you do pretty hard-core.Inflation can really screw you up :-?.

My short-term goal at this point would be to get Infamy to 0, prepare for the defense of Kaffa, work on improving relations with nations who might join your trade league, reduce inflation and pay off debts, and improve the navy and army to their limits (unsure how close you are at this point). That's a tall order, and while not the most exciting phase of Venice's history, will lead to greater victories in the years to come. Let's face it, the Golden Horde is bound to attack you soon, there's no reason to compromise the defense of Kaffa by over-extending yourself.

Kaffa could be a major pain to hold, in fact. I would seriously be considering whether it wouldn't be better to create a vassal or sell the province at this point, because let's face it, unless something highly unusual has happened in this first decade of the game, the Horde are going to be coming at you with many times the number of men you can muster, and your Western technology is no advantage yet. It's also worth noting that I haven't played EU3 with the newest patch, which might make the hordes weaker, I've been too into Warband :)

i like the idea of dismantling the GH

Perhaps not dismantle the Golden Horde; they are, after all, at least 100 times the size of Venice, andhave 5 times as many men as us. I Have added the vague goal "secure territory on the Black sea until the Golden Horde collapses", which is usually in the first 100 years. This ought to make the game more interesting in the short term.

Neighboring the horde...good luck keeping Kaffa. Of course, it could turn into a whale vs elephant standoff but I doubt it. Venice is simply weaker than the Horde and its your territory that is being fought over.

Weaker, yes; but then again, the Golden Horde is often easily distracted. Ill elaboratein todays update :)

Destroying Genoa is kinda a short term goal, it's not like they're France or anything too big.

Thats a good point; I have continued my efforts against the Genoan league, as you will see in the update!

Ally with the Byzantines.

Hmmm... that may be impossible at this stage. As an Orthadox nation, their relations have slowly soured with us over the past decade. Combined with my brief infamy binge, they really hate our guts now. Plus, that would go against our "conquer the Byzantine Empire" goal ;)

I'd say keep going for Genoa as well. As for the GH that seems like it could be a pretty big distraction since unless they end up in major fights with the Eastern Europeans.

When don't they get distracted? ;) As said earlier, the update elaborates.

I recomend attacking Milan so you could eliminate the only serious threat to your goal of unifying Italy.Also,from personal experience,I do not recomend minting,wich you do pretty hard-core.Inflation can really screw you up :-?.

Aye, inflation can be a real thorn in your side if left unchecked. However, I find that while it's risky going above 3% inflation, it is manageable at anywhere from 10-12%. Then again, in my last AAR I used that philosiphy, and let's just say that being an Islamic tribe with 20% inflation is NOT fun! As for Milan, that could well be a short term goal. It is riddled with complications though, as will be explained in the near future :)

My short-term goal at this point would be to get Infamy to 0, prepare for the defense of Kaffa, work on improving relations with nations who might join your trade league, reduce inflation and pay off debts, and improve the navy and army to their limits (unsure how close you are at this point). That's a tall order, and while not the most exciting phase of Venice's history, will lead to greater victories in the years to come. Let's face it, the Golden Horde is bound to attack you soon, there's no reason to compromise the defense of Kaffa by over-extending yourself.

Kaffa could be a major pain to hold, in fact. I would seriously be considering whether it wouldn't be better to create a vassal or sell the province at this point, because let's face it, unless something highly unusual has happened in this first decade of the game, the Horde are going to be coming at you with many times the number of men you can muster, and your Western technology is no advantage yet. It's also worth noting that I haven't played EU3 with the newest patch, which might make the hordes weaker, I've been too into Warband :)

Say no more; I too know how terribly addicting Warband can be :p

As for your goal, that is a tall order! I have wrestled with the horde, as the update will elaborate upon (I seem to be saying that alot in these responses ;) )!

Sorry guys, this update ended up being larger than I expected it would. As a result, I have split it in to two parts.

Venice, Vidi, Vici - Part 4, I/II

With the immediate finacial crisis over, things are looking bright for Venice. However, with Genoa crippled as a regional power through our last war, we have opened ourselves to an all new kind of threat: the Golden Horde.

It would appear that, while stealing Kaffa from the Genoans was an excellent way to boost income, it may have some long term catches that I did not foresee; some of witch could prove disastrous, and others that could well be highly profitable. With a horde of seemingly immeasurable size on our distant doorstep, we must now face war with a powerful advisary every 5 years. Fortunatly, these wars are often postponed for a short while; this gives us the chance to prepare!

Then again, it also gives us the chance to expand elsewhere. In Italy, foreign powers have begun taking chuncks of the peninsula, which obviously conflicts with our goals. One such nation is France, whom we do not want to mess with right now. The other nation is Aragon; a moderatly powerful nation with a navy to match ours and the men to back it up. A fair challenge, me thinks! Having been excommunicated by the pope some months prior, I make preparations to take this unlikely opportunity; hordes be damned!

Before declaring war, we get another slider movement. I again move towards Plutocracy.

29612055.jpg

We also have another election. Anticipating that this war may drag on for a while yet, I elect the Military candidate. This backfires, as I recieve a highly mediocer doge indeed.

30247859.jpg

With that out of the way, I declare war on Aragon, calling all of my allies once again. This fails to deter Aragons allies though, bringing Venice in to the largest war it has ever committed its self to!

32655031.jpg

One thing that is clear from the offset is that our navy, though a match for the Argonese fleet of gallies, stands no chance against the sizable Castillian fleet of Carraks. Our first naval engagement of the war ends in defeat. This is of great concern; the navy had been heading out to return the troops in Tangiers to the mainland, in order to aid with the conflict. They are now straded, just a few miles from Castillian shores with no means of returning home. One can only hope that the divided army will be able to hold against the threats it will inevitably face!

70464575.jpg

Just to make matters worse, the Golden Horde finally declares war on us. Fortunatly we have a small garrison of troops in Kaffa. The armies of the Golden Horde are nowhere to be seen; presumably they are tied up with the Ottomans in the south and the Russians in the north. We use this fortunate situation to cautiously advance in to the rich province of Crimea, in the hopes of securing the province before they have time to act.

65048116.jpg

Unfortunatly, our plan to sneak round the Golden Hordes forces fails; our army is assulted by an army twice the size of ours. Rather than face the destruction of our forces in Kaffa, we decide to meerley conceed defeat to the Golden Horde. At least we can sleep soundly in the knowladge that one front is seccured. This does not change the fact that our men are still going to be stranded in Kaffa at the hands of the Castillian fleet though.

19248955.jpg

48133685.jpg

By the 3rd of October, 1420, our forces finish besieging the two Argonese cities of Romagna and Abruzzi, while Naxon men sieze the island of Sardinia in our name. With that, we can afford to demand the city of Romagna, giving us access to a university and a rich province!

33268428.jpg

The Bungerdians in the north, whom had be dragged in to the war when I declared war on Aragon, we promptly over run by our Austrian allies. Rather that waste infamy seccuring our friends land for their hard earned victory, we instead decide to force Burgundy in to our trade league. Hey, what are friends for?

67997550.jpg

While two of our enemies lay defeated, one advisary remained a consistant pain. The Castillians, with total control of the Mediterrannean sea, besiege the city of Athens. Unable to send reinforcements, we can only sit and watch...

65168618.jpg

The first good news in months comes when we discover than, on the 21st of December 1421, our allies from Naxos have taken the city of Melilla; just how the got past the blockade is a mystery, but I'm not one to complain when a victory comes our way!

78174643.jpg

Meanwhile, our Aquellian vassal is having no such luck. Without us realising, the Brittonians(?) and Portugese manage to land men on our doorstep. We move quickly to reinforce our ally, though what use it will be is yet unkown.

48638422.jpg

At the same time, our attempts to put our men in Tangiers to good use fails misserably. In an attempt to build up some much needed warscore to sue for peace with the Castillians, we send our men through Algiers with military access, in an attempt to sneakily occupy some of our foes African cities. What we fail to notice is the sizeable enemy army in the region is stationed near by. They promptly intercept, forcing us back on the retreat.

62296512.jpg

In Greece, Athens falls to the Castillians. Our Naxon vassal once again proves her worth, sending some men to try and reclaim the province.

93225809.jpg

It is at this point that I decide enough is enough. Unfortunatly, the Castillians refuse both a white peace and a concession of defeat. We manage to settle on the terms theat we will releace Corcia from our sphere of influence.

We put them back in our influence 1 month later.

71675931.jpg

On the 3rd of January 1422, peace returns to the Mediterrannean.

Not wishing to make the same mistake twice, this time I land as many of our men that can be sparred in Kaffa, in anticipation of war with the Golden Horde.

29866403.jpg

We also get another election, once again prompting us to pick the diplomatic candidate. This results in us recieving our worst leader to date:

88110756.jpg

Our land tech also advances another level, giving us access to Men at Arms. This will be of great use in our upcoming war with the horde!

The following years are spent biting our nails, ferrying men back and forth between Kaffa and Romagna to put down revolts. Finally, in 1425, after years of silence, the Horde finally declares war once again. This time,we are more than prepared. We send our army in to Crimea, anticipating the enmy forces to come en masse.

12905006.jpg

The enemy never comes though; by December, we sieze the city of Crimea from the horde. In a gamble that may or may not pay off, we begin to colonise the province. Should we seccure it, it shall be a fine addition to our growing holdings in the region.

20610550.jpg

Last edited:
Venice, Vidi, Vici - Part 4, II/II

With a chunck of Horde territory in our hands, I decide to wait some time before asking for peace. In order to keep the land, we must establish settlements, eventually forcively removing Horde control of the province entirely. To cover this cost, I take out yet another costly loan.

89207686.jpg

By 1426, our first colonist arrives. I send another, having not yet seen a Golden Horde army of any noteable size.

84940194.jpg

This process continues until November that year, when the province defects to us. With that, I sue for peace with another concession of defeat. Another valuable province under our control!

69086552.jpg

23054951.jpg
Venice, circa 1426​

However, the province was not taken for free. The cost of the colonists and loans has forced our interest levels even higher, being a huge drain on our economy. For this reason, a small minting campaign is started. To counter the inevitable inflation gain, a master of mint is hired.

Then, as a COMPLETELY INTENTIONAL move, I take another loan out. I must stress that this is absolutely NOT because I wasn't paying attention to the amount of money in the treasury. Of course I would never be that stupid! :rolleyes:

By 1428, little happens. Tuscany annexed the newly formed nation of Pisa, creating a new, sizeable power on the peninusla. Other than that, very little occurs.

Finally, in May, Austria requests our assistance in a war against our ally Hungary. I decide to accept, on the basis that the Hungarians are Orthadox and that our relations cannot hold forever. We find, however, that Austrias request for help is somewhat unnecissary...

57098187.jpg

31186317.jpg

With not much happening, infamy being low and trade being fairly successful in various markets, I decide that the time is right to strike against our old trade rivals, Genoa. Genoa has been redued to a meer two provinces, Ligueria and Azow. Azow borders our province of Crimea, and would be a fine addition to our Black Sea territories. Ligueria too is of great worth, with a high base tax and a rich CoT. While taking this CoT would degrade our compete chances abroad, it would also draw the majority of Europes trade in to Venitian control!

We waste no time preparing for war. Our goal this time is not to weaken, but to utterly destroy the Genoan league once and for all!

79601803.jpg

The war begins poorly. We move the majority of our men in to Ligueria, and the remaining 2,000 in to Azow. Whil the latter proceeds unopposed, our men in Ligueria must face the combined forces of Genoa and Savoy. To our dismay we are overpowered, being forced back in to Milan, whith whom we have military access.

46482365.jpg

83491701.jpg

To our surprise, upon our retreat, the enemy withdraws from Ligueria into Savoy. I decide to try my luck, launching an attack once again on the province. The enemy do not move in to stop us; unable to co-ordinate an attack, the enemy can only send their forces in individually. Not to waste time, I besiege the province withhelp from my Corcian allies.

95350048.jpg

In the Black Sea theatre, Azow falls as quickly as we expected, freeing up another 2,000 men for the fight in Italy.

By 1429, our Austrian allies capture the city of Salzburg. Once again, we decide to screw our ally over in favour of personal gain. We settle for a minor fee of 16 ducats.

25540714.jpg

On the 20th of September, we get another slider move. We move again toward Plutocracy, however this results in a sizeable rebellion in Kaffa. We cannot spare men to deal with this revolt, so for now it must remain.

47460216.jpg

Finally, in October 1429, Ligueria falls to our forces. We settle for nothing less than full annexation! This comes at a high infamy cost, though to secure Ligueria it is well worth it. With that, we complete one of our goals! Huzzah! The first post has been updated appropriatly.

75721535.jpg

With Ligueria under our control, the vast majority of trade in the Medditteranean now passes through Venetian markets!

The war drags on with Savoy for a few more months, before I finally grow tired of fighting them and sue for peace for yet another concession of defeat. We all know who really won this war though...

The year is now 1430. Venice's fledgling empire spans from the Black sea to the mouth of Meditterranean. Money flows in to our coffers at an unprecidented rate. This rapid expansion, however, has come at a great cost. Over the years, many loans have built our interest rates up to a highly costly 7.2 ducts per month! To pay these loans off, it is imperrative that we once again begin minting. We expect to have enough funds to pay these loans off before we hit 8% inflation. To help things along, the AI God finally smiles upon me and sends another nice event!

18497451.jpg

Thus ends (rather abruptly) this lengthy update. I appologise for it being so long; I got a bit carried away in terms of gameplay, and didn't want to have a situation where the AAR was miles behind where I atually am in game :p

Last edited:
You are going to have to reward the Austrians sometimes.

He'll build the king a nice palace by the Black Sea :D

But you should lay low for a while, or else risk self-destruction via inflation and infamy.