There's nothing quite like butchering Latin for the sake of a pun...
Venice; a small republic with masses of wealth and even greater amounts of potential. Sitting uncomfortably close to the Holy Roman Empire, and even closer to the relentless hordes and the powerful Ottomans, Venice always makes for an interesting game. What better a nation is there to start a gameplay AAR with?
This AAR will be quite simple. Unlike my last AAR, the focus shall not be on humor or verbose descriptions of every minor occurance, and shall instead be on gameplay. I am going to set myself a number of fairly abitrary goals, and shall strive to achieve these at all costs!
- Survive (An AAR is pretty uninteresting when you're, you know, dead)
- Unite Italy without forming Italy
- Establish a Colonial empire
- Own a province on each continent
- Conquer the Byzantine Empire [Chief Ragusa]
- Keep the Venetian Trading League alive until the end of the game [TonyJoe]
- Eliminate Genoa, through annexation or otherwise [King_Richard_XI] - [COMPLETE]
- Become Trade Leader in all possible goods [Thandros]
- Secure territory on the Black sea until the Golden Horde collapses [Boris ze Spider]
- No gamey tactics
- No over stepping the infamy limit [This rule may be abolished later if the game gets too stale, or I feel like spicing things up a bit]
Part 4 (I/II)
I'd like to thank everybody who has suggested a goal; if you want to see a goal added now that the AAR has started, feel free to say! I'm not guaranteeing that it will be added, but there's a good chance it will!
Explanation of the gameplay settings:
Most settings are on default, bar two. AI aggressiveness is set to low, as I (and many others) find that the AI is much less likely to make random land grabs, and is actually a lot tougher. This is because the AI gives its self time to recover after a war, and will not launch head first in to wars that will cripple it shortly afterwards. Lucky nations is set to random because, well, anything can happen when lucky nations could be anybody from France to Hamburg.
I'd like to mention that in order to keep the AAR interesting, a small amount of roleplaying shall be used. This doesn't mean that I shall attempt narrative or introduce characters of any sort; I will, however, keep in mind that historically Venice was a trading nation, that expanded only as she needed to (or if she thought it was profitable). Obviously I have to aim for the outlined goals, which mans a certain amount of land grabbing will be necessary, but I will not be blobbing up hugely on the continent unless it seems like it could be a fairly plausible historical situation.
I'd also like to add that at the best of times I'm critical of my own work, but don't be afraid to critisise it yourself! Any critisism, no matter how constructive, is better than none. I can only improve my AAR's if you do pass critisism, so don't be afraid to do so! Just don't go overboard