• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, is that political mapmode in screenshot #1?

Yes, that looks like the clan map. There are a few other political maps as well for things like demesne, kunis, etc.

Well, here's hoping there is some sort of honor blunting for situational modifiers. I'm not sure a young daimyo should lose honor for declaring war on the lord who assassinated his father, for example.

Is there any reason to care about the hostage?

Random generalising based on CK and Rome here: you often have a whole bunch of useless family members about whom you care very little and often are looking for creative ways to kill. these people often make up the bulk of your court/family. If the hostage is selected randomly its likely to be someone you have no emotional/rp/metagaming attachment to. If this is the case what is there to make you care about the hostage? Do you lose a lot of honour if the other side justifiably executes your hostage as you have abandoned your family member, that could be a convincing metagameing reason to care. :)

Secondly about losing honour for going to war, are there going to be situations when it is free? The above example of revenge for an assaination is a great example, declaring war because your overlord has been attacked, or the Shogun commands it would be another example of a 'CB situation'

Is there any reason to care about the hostage?

Random generalising based on CK and Rome here: you often have a whole bunch of useless family members about whom you care very little and often are looking for creative ways to kill. these people often make up the bulk of your court/family. If the hostage is selected randomly its likely to be someone you have no emotional/rp/metagaming attachment to. If this is the case what is there to make you care about the hostage? Do you lose a lot of honour if the other side justifiably executes your hostage as you have abandoned your family member, that could be a convincing metagameing reason to care. :)

I think the idea is that hostages are pretty high up in you line of succession, so the first hostage you give would be your son. Letting them kill your son just so you can take their castle may not be a good idea (I would assume)

Yep, I believe it goes down the line of succession, so it could be potentially very bad if he dies. On the other hand, you might not care if he dies. Heck, it could even be a good thing, depending on who is in your line of succession. I really like how the hostage system is be designed. Powerful enough to affect the game, but not overbearing.

Well, here's hoping there is some sort of honor blunting for situational modifiers. I'm not sure a young daimyo should lose honor for declaring war on the lord who assassinated his father, for example.

I expect the young one won't be particularly fond of his father's killer, so he won't lose much honor.

What I'm wondering is what about this wondering Ronin army? How does it behave? Can someone else hire them into their clan? Can I remain landless wonder around a bit and find a new clan?

What I'm wondering is what about this wondering Ronin army? How does it behave? Can someone else hire them into their clan?

Yes, you're able to hire them.

Given the mechanics featured in the Dev diary and what was said in another thread by Captain Gars, it looks to me like one of the basic premises of Sengoku is fundamentally different from the EU and Victoria franchises.

The game is basically an extended civil war (which makes sense given the historical circumstances), but since it is a civil war and not a game of external imperialism, certain kinds of foreign policy considerations are irrelevant or even counter-productive to gameplay.

There is no negotiation of treaties a la EU/Vicky because there are no considerations of balance of power or the concert of nations. This justifies, I think, the "I occupy the real estate, so its mine" mechanic Paradox has chosen here, even if it would not work in another franchise.

So, to me, this Dev Diary looks encouraging. Although I think I agree with others that the name of the peace function might need some modification. I suggest "Accept status Quo" since that is essentially what a treaty means in Sengoku.

So, to me, this Dev Diary looks encouraging. Although I think I agree with others that the name of the peace function might need some modification. I suggest "Accept status Quo" since that is essentially what a treaty means in Sengoku.

Personally, I'd go with accept truce... it's not called Warring States for no reason, right? :D

Personally, I'd go with accept truce... it's not called Warring States for no reason, right? :D

This I also like.

I am just wondering myself because in the Clan Video Trailer it was said that there will be somde differences between hatamoto families and respected characters and the lesser families and the related game characters. So I would like to know what would happen to my character if my liege lord a hatamoto would be defeated and I for myelf who commands some troops would be alandless Ronin...?? Would be this possible for me as an opportunity or would my career end if my overlord would be totally defeated...??

And can I for myself choose to become a landless Ronin or is this not planned anyway because it would "kill" the game concept...??

I hope for some answers from the Devs if possible. From my own knowledge of Japanese history it would be not alienating for no one to become a Ronin because in some terms of the old Japanes Honor (Bushido) concept it would be totally normal that a true follower of a hatamoto/samurai would become a Ronin because he often dislikes the victorious enemy and did not want to become those follower...

greetings

Mike

I am a bit concerned about the changes to white peace, but I suppose trying it won't hurt.

In particular, I often find myself capturing AI provinces to convince it that it isn't going to win the war, and it should just go away and leave me alone. If I'm forced to do this regularly in Sengoku, I'll probably end up with a lot of crap I don't want. So hopefully the change is done well and sensibly.

I am a bit concerned about the changes to white peace, but I suppose trying it won't hurt.

In particular, I often find myself capturing AI provinces to convince it that it isn't going to win the war, and it should just go away and leave me alone. If I'm forced to do this regularly in Sengoku, I'll probably end up with a lot of crap I don't want. So hopefully the change is done well and sensibly.
You'll likely be able to grant less valuable provinces to a vassal.

You'll want as many provinces as you can get.

To be picky, it wasn't called the Warring States period at all - that was China, and somewhat earlier, IIRC. "Accept Truce" works really well, though, for the sort of 'extended civil war' that Sengoku represents.

The game objective in Sengoku is to become Shogun of Japan, not just Shogun of the bits of Japan that you actually want. :p
:rofl: Beautifully put! This really highlights the difference between this game and the earlier P'dox titles, I think. You are not trying to carve out an empire in a sea of countries - the only goal is "world conquest" (as far as the game goes, i.e. the whole game map).