+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sengoku - Development Diary #5 - War & Peace

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Sengoku - Development Diary #5 - War & Peace

Hello and welcome to another development diary for our big upcoming game Sengoku. Our internal team here at Paradox is busy working hard on the game and we reached the alpha milestone earlier this week. This means that the game is now feature complete and we're just working on polishing, bug fixing and AI improvement for the rest of the project.

Today, let's sneak a peek at one of the aspects of Diplomacy that we didn't touch upon last week, namely War and Peace.

First off, all independent rulers have the opportunity to declare war on another ruler. Be wary though, about who they have as allies or if they are part of a stronger clan, since the lords of Japan take honoring their treaties very seriously. There is no casus belli concept in Sengoku, but you will lose honor when you declare a war. The amount of honor lost depends on your relation with the person you declare war upon, so declaring war on a trusted friend might not always be beneficial...

Click image for larger version

Name:	sengoku_devdiary_110513_declare_war.jpg
Views:	4477
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	35794

In Sengoku, the fighting and conquest all occurs within the same country and there are no formal negotiations about which clan controls which village or castle. With the breakdown of central authority, the right of control is settled on the battlefield.

There are five different types of peace that can be negotiated. First, there is the white peace, which means that you sign a peace keeping all control of the territory you hold at the time of the signing (and not as it was at the start of the war!) There is also the option of demanding or offering a hostage as a guarantee for a peace to be kept. Finally, there are the two options of either forcing your enemy to become your vassal, or you submitting to their overlordship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sengoku_devdiary_110513_peace.jpg
Views:	3880
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	35795

Stay tuned for next week, when we'll speak of the internal management of your clan....

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Oh, so white peace now means something different from all the other games? Neat concept, but wouldn't a new name be better (less confusing)?

Also, if I fully occupy my enemy and sign a white peace, will he be annexed? What happens to his family?
    Last edited by safferli; 13-05-2011 at 14:34. Reason: blooming spelling mistakes...
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Pan Celticist Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Oh, so white peace now means something different from all the other games? neat concept, but wouldn't a new name be better (less confusing)?

Also, if I fully occupy my enemy and sign a white peace, will he be annexed? What happens to his family?
    Maybe just call it 'status quo'?

50 games registered

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

It's interesting that there aren't any CB anymore. I'm personally am fine with it - I'll still be using my imagination to justify my glorious conquests.

Will the loss of honor will scale depending on the honor of the the other belligerent? Like, some other lord with low honor would mean less of an honor hit (kinda of like how being dishonorable scum in other games makes it easier for others to punish you).

What happens when two of your allies declare war on each other?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Oh, so white peace now means something different from all the other games? neat concept, but wouldn't a new name be better (less confusing)?

As far as I understand it, there is no occupation: conquered province immediately becomes yours and if you conquer all of enemy provinces, I guess the war ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrael View Post
    As far as I understand it, there is no occupation: conquered province immediately becomes yours and if you conquer all of enemy provinces, I guess the war ends.
    Hm, in any case, the question of what happens to his family still remains
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneSengoku500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

you lose honor if you declare war... makes no sense.. i think at certain circumstances it would be honorable to declare war... well but thats just my opinion. doesn't matter much :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sandam View Post
    you lose honor if you declare war... makes no sense.. i think at certain circumstances it would be honorable to declare war... well but thats just my opinion. doesn't matter much :P
    I think that unless the person you are declaring war on is universally hated throughout the land, it makes sense to lose at least some honour when you declare war.

Having a completely different peace settlement process than other games seems really cool also.

Keep it to comments pertaining the dev diary, please. No trolling.

--

Mastermind Paradox Dev Team Birken's Avatar
    March of the EaglesPirates of Black Cove

Hm, in any case, the question of what happens to his family still remains
    They're killed or moved to other courts, survivors may take their armies and become wandering ronin.

Project Lead EU4 Paradox Dev Team Besuchov's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Oh, so white peace now means something different from all the other games? Neat concept, but wouldn't a new name be better (less confusing)?

There are no demands nor offers so in that case its a white peace. Its just that you dont give back anything you've taken. The familly dissapears into the back benches of history (and from the game) except if they hold troops, then they roam the land looking to be hired as Ronin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer00 View Post
    It's interesting that there aren't any CB anymore. I'm personally am fine with it - I'll still be using my imagination to justify my glorious conquests.

Will the loss of honor will scale depending on the honor of the the other belligerent? Like, some other lord with low honor would mean less of an honor hit (kinda of like how being dishonorable scum in other games makes it easier for others to punish you).
    It scales on your relationship, its more expensive if you attack someone who is supposed to have a good relationship with you.

Quote Originally Posted by arstal View Post
    What happens when two of your allies declare war on each other?
    Depends on what kind of an agreement you have. If you have just agreed to attack someone else in a secret agreement, you can just stab him in the back. If you exchange hostages however (which you can do without any other agreements), the hostage gets it.

So, I see in the menu: white peace; demand concede defeat; offer concede defeat; demand subjugation, offer subjugation. So, when defeat is conceded, a hostage is given?

And what does that hostage do? I'd guess if you DOW while they still have the hostage you lose more honour, but does the hostage only stay there for a certain amount of time?

Also, can hostages die of natural causes and what happens if that occurs?

Hmm, I give the new "white peace" a chance.

Maybe this is necessary to make sure that players can really expand and conquer Japan within the time and do not always lose the control of most occupied provinces in negotiations again and again.
    "Sometimes the typos are better than the original post."
    King

Project Lead EU4 Paradox Dev Team Besuchov's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    So, I see in the menu: white peace; demand concede defeat; offer concede defeat; demand subjugation, offer subjugation. So, when defeat is conceded, a hostage is given?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    And what does that hostage do? I'd guess if you DOW while they still have the hostage you lose more honour, but does the hostage only stay there for a certain amount of time?

Also, can hostages die of natural causes and what happens if that occurs?
    If you dow and they have a hostage the hostage dies. If the hostage dies of natural causes they dont have a hostage anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratege View Post
    Hmm, I give the new "white peace" a chance.
    I have no problem at all with the mechanic, I just think the name might be a bit confusing.

Actually I like this new white peace method a lot more... Hey I have managed to kick your butt out of those provinces, if you believe you can take them back come get some! Else, sign the peace and go cry like a girl for what you couldn't hold like a samurai.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Sandam View Post
    Honor is a resource that you are supposed to spend on most actions you take I think. It is supposed to be a balancing mechanic after all.

So, is that political mapmode in screenshot #1?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast