• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello and welcome to another development diary for our big upcoming game Sengoku. Our internal team here at Paradox is busy working hard on the game and we reached the alpha milestone earlier this week. This means that the game is now feature complete and we're just working on polishing, bug fixing and AI improvement for the rest of the project.

Today, let's sneak a peek at one of the aspects of Diplomacy that we didn't touch upon last week, namely War and Peace.

First off, all independent rulers have the opportunity to declare war on another ruler. Be wary though, about who they have as allies or if they are part of a stronger clan, since the lords of Japan take honoring their treaties very seriously. There is no casus belli concept in Sengoku, but you will lose honor when you declare a war. The amount of honor lost depends on your relation with the person you declare war upon, so declaring war on a trusted friend might not always be beneficial...

sengoku_devdiary_110513_declare_war.jpg

In Sengoku, the fighting and conquest all occurs within the same country and there are no formal negotiations about which clan controls which village or castle. With the breakdown of central authority, the right of control is settled on the battlefield.

There are five different types of peace that can be negotiated. First, there is the white peace, which means that you sign a peace keeping all control of the territory you hold at the time of the signing (and not as it was at the start of the war!) There is also the option of demanding or offering a hostage as a guarantee for a peace to be kept. Finally, there are the two options of either forcing your enemy to become your vassal, or you submitting to their overlordship.

sengoku_devdiary_110513_peace.jpg

Stay tuned for next week, when we'll speak of the internal management of your clan....

Oh, so white peace now means something different from all the other games? Neat concept, but wouldn't a new name be better (less confusing)?

Also, if I fully occupy my enemy and sign a white peace, will he be annexed? What happens to his family?

Last edited:
It's interesting that there aren't any CB anymore. I'm personally am fine with it - I'll still be using my imagination to justify my glorious conquests.

Will the loss of honor will scale depending on the honor of the the other belligerent? Like, some other lord with low honor would mean less of an honor hit (kinda of like how being dishonorable scum in other games makes it easier for others to punish you).

Oh, so white peace now means something different from all the other games? neat concept, but wouldn't a new name be better (less confusing)?

Also, if I fully occupy my enemy and sign a white peace, will he be annexed? What happens to his family?

As far as I understand it, there is no occupation: conquered province immediately becomes yours and if you conquer all of enemy provinces, I guess the war ends.

As far as I understand it, there is no occupation: conquered province immediately becomes yours and if you conquer all of enemy provinces, I guess the war ends.

Hm, in any case, the question of what happens to his family still remains :)

you lose honor if you declare war... makes no sense.. i think at certain circumstances it would be honorable to declare war... well but thats just my opinion. doesn't matter much :p

you lose honor if you declare war... makes no sense.. i think at certain circumstances it would be honorable to declare war... well but thats just my opinion. doesn't matter much :p

I think that unless the person you are declaring war on is universally hated throughout the land, it makes sense to lose at least some honour when you declare war.

Having a completely different peace settlement process than other games seems really cool also.

Keep it to comments pertaining the dev diary, please. No trolling.

Oh, so white peace now means something different from all the other games? Neat concept, but wouldn't a new name be better (less confusing)?

There are no demands nor offers so in that case its a white peace. Its just that you dont give back anything you've taken. The familly dissapears into the back benches of history (and from the game) except if they hold troops, then they roam the land looking to be hired as Ronin.

It's interesting that there aren't any CB anymore. I'm personally am fine with it - I'll still be using my imagination to justify my glorious conquests.

Will the loss of honor will scale depending on the honor of the the other belligerent? Like, some other lord with low honor would mean less of an honor hit (kinda of like how being dishonorable scum in other games makes it easier for others to punish you).

It scales on your relationship, its more expensive if you attack someone who is supposed to have a good relationship with you.

What happens when two of your allies declare war on each other?

Depends on what kind of an agreement you have. If you have just agreed to attack someone else in a secret agreement, you can just stab him in the back. If you exchange hostages however (which you can do without any other agreements), the hostage gets it.

So, I see in the menu: white peace; demand concede defeat; offer concede defeat; demand subjugation, offer subjugation. So, when defeat is conceded, a hostage is given?

And what does that hostage do? I'd guess if you DOW while they still have the hostage you lose more honour, but does the hostage only stay there for a certain amount of time?

Also, can hostages die of natural causes and what happens if that occurs?

Hmm, I give the new "white peace" a chance.

Maybe this is necessary to make sure that players can really expand and conquer Japan within the time and do not always lose the control of most occupied provinces in negotiations again and again.

So, I see in the menu: white peace; demand concede defeat; offer concede defeat; demand subjugation, offer subjugation. So, when defeat is conceded, a hostage is given?

yes

And what does that hostage do? I'd guess if you DOW while they still have the hostage you lose more honour, but does the hostage only stay there for a certain amount of time?

Also, can hostages die of natural causes and what happens if that occurs?

If you dow and they have a hostage the hostage dies. If the hostage dies of natural causes they dont have a hostage anymore.

Actually I like this new white peace method a lot more... Hey I have managed to kick your butt out of those provinces, if you believe you can take them back come get some! Else, sign the peace and go cry like a girl for what you couldn't hold like a samurai.

Honor is a resource that you are supposed to spend on most actions you take I think. It is supposed to be a balancing mechanic after all.