• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately it's been a very long time since I've seen any successful revolts (in fact right now I can't remember any) but I would be nearly certain only the cored provinces secede. If you release a country from the politics tab it receives only the provinces on which it has cores. .

Succesful non-nationalist rebels are, surprisingly, not that rare. There are a LOT of smaller nations sporting funky flags as the result of anarcho-liberal, communist, etc rebellions in my game.

Also I watched Ethiopia secede from Egypt... not a big accomplishment since the British still held the center of Ethopia, but hey, it's another conquest wargoal for me.

Last edited:
Succesful non-nationalist rebels are, surprisingly, not that rare. There are a LOT of smaller nations sporting funky flags as the result of anarcho-liberal, communist, etc rebellions in my game.

My bad, I meant that I couldn't remember the last time I saw a successful nationalist result (IE a country emerging) but I just wrote "revolts".

I've seen rather a lot of those with minor nations that can no longer recruit soldiers, both in 1.2 and 1.3. Particularly when their soldier POPs have been annihilated through multiple invasions.

Often those countries end up locked in a cycle of rebellions. IMO at the very least a successful revolt should retain at proportion of the brigades it has, converting them to soldier POPs or something. The idea that a communist revolution would succeed, then instantly disband all the Red Guards and allow Fascists to occupy the capital fails the blink test. The fascists might battle with the Red Guards and even win, but the idea that the new government would just stand aside...

I know there'd be a bit of a concern about a country ending up stronger than before, I think there was a HoI2 or 3 issue where rebellions could end up spawning more troops than a country had before the rebellion. But at least allowing the rebellion to retain, say, 20% of its brigades as irregulars, even with no underlying soldier POP so that they can't regenerate, would help kill the "failed states" of Victoria II.

Just decided in my latest game to take over UK (at 100% WS) and run it into the ground. Did I succeed? Nope. Over 10 years, no rebels were succesful.

Rebels seem to be missing huge amounts of tech, gas being not the least of them. I watched a 72k rebel stack battle one British brigade for months. Of course, 3 brigades held against an entire Canada revolting against them. And two of those brigades had rebel affiliations. The one thing I didn't do is move units - but I did everything else to incite rebellion that was readily available, like not paying soldiers or unemployment subsidies.

India was the saddest case of all - The British satellites (Hyderabad in particular) mopped up the rebels quite readily.

Over the ~15 years only Australian and Canadian national rebels rose, but they were drops in the bucket against the hordes and hordes of Ideological rebels of every stripe. But they could not get the job done, because, for instance, of those 3 brigades in Canada.

Unbelievable.

and how much troops they still had ? maybe also go for 100 war exhaustion.
Also it's not always happen, but rather often.

Just decided in my latest game to take over UK (at 100% WS) and run it into the ground. Did I succeed? Nope. Over 10 years, no rebels were succesful.

Rebels seem to be missing huge amounts of tech, gas being not the least of them. I watched a 72k rebel stack battle one British brigade for months. Of course, 3 brigades held against an entire Canada revolting against them. And two of those brigades had rebel affiliations. The one thing I didn't do is move units - but I did everything else to incite rebellion that was readily available, like not paying soldiers or unemployment subsidies.

India was the saddest case of all - The British satellites (Hyderabad in particular) mopped up the rebels quite readily.

Over the ~15 years only Australian and Canadian national rebels rose, but they were drops in the bucket against the hordes and hordes of Ideological rebels of every stripe. But they could not get the job done, because, for instance, of those 3 brigades in Canada.

Unbelievable.

Quote For Truth.

I've been a lone raving madman saying that rebels have been nerfed too much for a while now. It's good to have company.

Quote For Truth.

I've been a lone raving madman saying that rebels have been nerfed too much for a while now. It's good to have company.

I meant 100% WE in my previous post, not WS.

Against a half-competent force rebels are helpless. In a nation like Yemen or Egypt or etc, where they can't raise a regiment to save their lives (perhaps as a result of a CDTS), yes, rebels can be effective. Against a Dutch nation that can only field a brigade or two after the Germans have retreated, sure. But against a real power, no.

Also, rebels seem to be missing some (all?) of the benefits of tech. So against a backwards unciv, they are effective. Against a modern superpower, not so much.

It's not just irregulars that are inneffective; I saw plenty of regular infantry, and even a few cavalry mixed in. Still helpless.

There really needs to be a set of circumstances under which the British Empire could reasonably fall apart. Otherwise, why are sepoys in the game? But has anyone, EVER seen them succeed? Other than by playing as UK, and going out of your way to cultivate and nurture them (including keeping your satellites from interfering!) it seems impossible.

I meant 100% WE in my previous post, not WS.
... They are not allowed to have troops after peace deal ;) , so actually 100 warscore is needed or being sure they have 0, maximal 2 brigades ( for giant empires)

... They are not allowed to have troops after peace deal ;) , so actually 100 warscore is needed or being sure they have 0, maximal 2 brigades ( for giant empires)

That doesn't stop them from recruiting the day the war ends, or, worse, mobilizing.

I am doing what I can to cut down on British brigades, though, before I end the war "for real" I will wipe out as many huge Canadian and Australian stacks as I can - they are recruiting a lot of troops fast, though. They actually have 400 brigades even after I took all of Asia (India/China), most of Africa, and all of the British Isles including Ireland.

My point was that even 3 brigades can hold against a huge force, thanks to gas at a minimum. So I guess that means 2 maximum... I am not going to spend 50% on a CDTS though, because I am trying to get as many provinces as possible :D

I think nationalist rebels should be increased in size/power the larger your empire is, this would make expansion especially at a fast pace somewhat more perilous, also they should be more prevalent when you're in a large war (taking advantage of the situation)