Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One-feature-a-day articles: #5 Coal and upkeep

Lightbulb One-feature-a-day articles: #5 Coal and upkeep

In Pride of Nations, you have to maintain your forces each turn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Railnetwork and supply filter.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	35738

This is called upkeep, and should you fail to pay your men or spend goods to keep your war materials in good shape, problems will start to appeas, like a loss of cohesion for example. Campaigning will also be costlier to your troops, so if you want to reduce this spending, there is always the option to garrison them (fortress units, a special type of unit that is almost immobile, except by train, is also the cheapest to maintain while powerful in defense).

But there are more resources to spend than just money, as if you needed more! Coal, one of the preeminent resources of the era, will have to be watched over with great care. Coal is used in the game for many things. First, there is the industrial usage. Few of your industries will be able to run without coal, and no industry, no place under the sun either! Then you need coal to move your ships. Not all, as many nations start in 1850 with a significant portion of their fleet powered by sail only. But developed nations were building more and more steam ships, powered by coal furnaces. Warships and merchant fleets will soon all use coal for power, and this will place an even bigger emphasis on the need to maintain a good source of this asset for your country. However, remember that ships that don’t move don’t use coal, so this is ‘intelligent upkeep’ here. We won’t make the game spend your coal for ships that stay in harbor…

This need for sources of coal will also make you build coaling stations around the world, should you have access to some lands free of any other western power. The need to build coaling stations for their ships was one of the motivations to grab colonies for European powers,. Rest assured though, you can also secure supply rights in other countries, so as to be able to use their facilities.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	35739

And last but not least, railways. Having a developed rail net is good for your economic power, because productivity will greatly benefit from it. But for each region with a railway, there will be a cost in coal to pay every turn, to represent civilian traffic. That’s not all though, as PON features many special orders for your troops, one being to move by rail. The rail pool you can use depends on the extent of your rail network, and troops moving by rail will also place an extra burden on your coal reserves. Choices will be difficult on how to use coal, but also very interesting to make!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Very nice. As everyday : better and better !

The second screenshot is puzzling : CHina was not supposed to be playable... Did that change or is it for screenshot purpose only ?

This is just for screenshot purpose, and also to show that it is easy to switch to another faction (and did not say it would be fun though!)

200k clubCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    Will trading be a future discussion, or have I missed the boat on that particular feature?
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.
    Phishing link to HOI4 site removed.

a lot of stuff to say on commerce yes... not published yet

On the subject of the day : in the first screenshot green zones seems to be "supplied zone". The thing is the played faction is Prussia but the supply zone seems to be Prussia + Austria... Does that means that countries can agree to share their supply routes and depots or something like that ?

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    Victoria 2

The game looks like a lot of intricate fun. I'll definitely be getting it.
    On the other hand, I do hope that eventually at least 8 more countries would be included in the playable pool, since Spain, Ottomans, are not included in the initial release.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Sounds good. I like the idea of having to procure coaling stations. I was hoping that would be in there.

Will the coal deposits be roughly equal for the "Great 8" or will some nations derive a significant advantage right off the bat by having a lot more readily accessible coal?

I'm not sure how that played out historically during this time period.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBanker View Post
    On the subject of the day : in the first screenshot green zones seems to be "supplied zone". The thing is the played faction is Prussia but the supply zone seems to be Prussia + Austria... Does that means that countries can agree to share their supply routes and depots or something like that ?
    That's right, you can sign a supply treaty, unilateral or mutual.

Quote Originally Posted by Thormodr View Post

Will the coal deposits be roughly equal for the "Great 8" or will some nations derive a significant advantage right off the bat by having a lot more readily accessible coal?
    I think that historical ressources will be represented which means (and please correct me if I am wrong) that pretty much every large nation will have (at least potential) coal mines.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBanker View Post
    I think that historical ressources will be represented which means (and please correct me if I am wrong) that pretty much every large nation will have (at least potential) coal mines.
    I kind of assumed that it would be historical. I was unsure if certain Great Powers had a lot more coal than others.

Mind you, I think I saw a book called Coal: A Human History in the bookstore. I may have to pick that up.

Ah...Wikipedia is my friend. Should have read that first. :P It appears that Italy kind of gets the "short end of the stick" coal wise. The other nations seem to have a fair amount of it. At least in 1905.

I guess they'll have to trade for it. Should make for some interesting diplomacy then.

Mind you, I believe coal was very cheap in those days so Italy shouldn't be handicapped much at all.

Coal Production of the World, around 1905[9]
    Country Year Short Tons
    Europe
    United Kingdom 1905 236,128,936
    Germany (coal) 121,298,167
    Germany (lignite) 52,498,507
    France 35,869,497
    Belgium 21,775,280
    Austria (coal) 12,585,263
    Austria (lignite) 22,692,076
    Hungary (coal) 1904 1,031,501
    Hungary (lignite) 5,447,283
    Spain 1905 3,202,911
    Russia 1904 19,318,000
    Netherlands 466,997
    Bosnia (lignite) 540,237
    Romania 110,000
    Serbia 1904 183,204
    Italy (coal and lignite) 1905 412,916
    Sweden 322,384
    Greece (lignite) 1904 466,997
    Asia
    India 1905 8,417,739
    Japan 1903 10,088,845
    Sumatra 1904 207,280
    Africa
    Transvaal 1904 2,409,033
    Natal 1905 1,129,407
    Cape Colony 1904 154,272
    America
    United States 1905 350,821,000
    Canada 1904 7,509,860
    Mexico 700,000
    Peru 1905 72,665
    Australasia
    New South Wales 1905 6,632,138
    Queensland 529,326
    Victoria 153,135
    Western Australia 127,364
    Tasmania 51,993
    New Zealand 1,585,756
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining
    Last edited by Thormodr; 12-05-2011 at 18:59.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Will coal upkeep for railroads depend on population of a province? If Russia builds a trans-siberian railway, will they pay insane coal cost for virtually non-existant civilian traffic or will they pay only for military and industrial use (if Far East is being developed). Will coal cost increase if Russia exports to or imports from China?
    If you have problems with getting into Personal Unions in EUIII, adopt "keep your %@#$ in your pants" policy with regards to Royal marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by Vara Del Rey View Post
    The game looks like a lot of intricate fun. I'll definitely be getting it.
    On the other hand, I do hope that eventually at least 8 more countries would be included in the playable pool, since Spain, Ottomans, are not included in the initial release.
    I can imagine that there is a trade-off between the number of playable countries and the quality of playing each country. That said, it would be nice if the game is sufficiently succesfull, there would be an expansion with another 8 playable powers.

Interesting article on Italy and coal roughly during the time period that Pride of Nations will follow.

Italy was more or less dependent on British coal during the time period of the game. They had coal mines in Sardinia but that was never enough to satisfy demand.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Coal/Hist...e-of-Coal.html

It's usually the mark of a good game for me when it gets me reading up on the subject prior to release. Getting excited about the game. Hee hee.

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2Semper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires. Argentina
    Well, yes, Sardinia (and later Italy) has a very low production of coal in comparison with the rest... so, they will depend on an exterior source for sure....
    AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!
    FACEBOOK: AGEOD - Pride of Nations
    Pride of Nations already available!! - AGEOD forum - Paradox forum
    -------
    Football Manager: La AAR chaquetera oficial FM 2007, FM 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Generalisimo View Post
    Well, yes, Sardinia (and later Italy) has a very low production of coal in comparison with the rest... so, they will depend on an exterior source for sure....
    Good to hear. Every nation should have their strong points and weak points.

Sounds like a good challenge for Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkTheTrick View Post
    Will coal upkeep for railroads depend on population of a province? If Russia builds a trans-siberian railway, will they pay insane coal cost for virtually non-existant civilian traffic or will they pay only for military and industrial use (if Far East is being developed). Will coal cost increase if Russia exports to or imports from China?
    This don't go that far (particularly the last sentence of your). But it is dependent of the development level of the region, which is an abstraction of various infrastructures there plus follows rather closely urbanization level. So there is a correlation between coal upkeep and population.

Quote Originally Posted by Thormodr View Post
    Good to hear. Every nation should have their strong points and weak points.
    I simply can't remember a single strongness for the Italian peninsula at that time, at least concerning to mineral resources

Probably Reign of Sardinia (latter Reign of Italy) will be the toughest country to manage in the game. Well, things haven't changed yet nowadays.

Wait a minute!
    Ottomans are not playable ?? ?:@

Quote Originally Posted by frozeNSw1fT View Post
    Wait a minute!
    Ottomans are not playable ?? ?:@
    No they aren't.
    If I remember correctly, playable countries are USA, France, United Kingdom, Prussia, Russia, Austria, Japan and Sardinia-Piedmont.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast