For the Motherland Developer Diary 7 - Historical Elections and Foreign Ministers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Something I would LOVE to see in this expansion, is to see each countries civilian/solder casualties and perhaps the number of solders the country has killed! :p

This seems to be possible somehow. The battle statistics are shown in popup, hence they are logged somewhere. It should be possible to collect such numbers but you would not be able to discern specific operations or areas, just an accumulationo of raw numbers.

You guys should thank me for the change about the ministers. It seems the more I argue against PI doing something the higher the probability that they will eventually do it. :)

How is the US being deeply in debt pre-war going to be modeled? Large negative money stocks, or a -money/day decision? In this screenshot the US has $86... and a very low leadership. Ouch. A high NU also seems wrong, the US's NU should be very low (60, max) prior to Pearl Harbor.
Looks good though. Nice changes so far.

if "Hamburg" the province does not equal "Hamburg" the city, then fine, a level 10 AA only does, say, 65% of the damage if the bomber group only flies over it. If they decide to bomb the city/province of "Hamburg" itself, then they should get the full blast of the AA, depending on its level and your technology for AA.
I agree with your basic point, but 65% is way too high. 10% would be more like it, I think.

The fact is that bombers on a mission to attack Berlin are really not going to fly over the centre of Hamburg so all the AA stationed there can take a shot at them. Why would they? Their flight plan will go around the city and any other major flak concentrations en route. HoI3 provinces are large places, and a wing of aircraft moving through them is probably not going to be in range of the AA guns stationed around the city in the centre of the province. Even later in the war when the Germans positioned lines of AA guns all across their country, the damage they achieved was fairly insignificant. (In the first six months of 1943 German AA guns shot down a total of 319 Allied bombers by firing over 3,140,000 shells at them - an average of 10,000 shots per success. German fighters destroyed three time as many bombers.)

Bombers are vulnerable to flak when they're flying low and slow in a straight line over their target to make sure of hitting it: not when they're taking evasive action and flying high en route to the target. While it's probably reasonable to expect them to take some losses from overflying enemy territory - a mission to Berlin should be more dangerous than one to Hamburg - I'm happy enough with it being abstracted as org loss and attrition. It's not like aircraft in the game aren't already extremely fragile anyway...

Last but not least, static anti-aircraft batteries have gotten a bit of an overhaul. They are now much more resistant to bombings (for modders this is a scriptable value per building type now)..

Another Question:
Does this include, that we could raise/lower the resistance of buildings also via techs?
Or does it "just" means we could change it once in the buildings.txt?

Kind regards,
Chromos

I noticed in the toolbar there is a new part concerning Theatres! What is this new section?

secret :p

Another Question:
Does this include, that we could raise/lower the resistance of buildings also via techs?
Or does it "just" means we could change it once in the buildings.txt?

its just scriptable relative each other how resilient they are.

Love the fix for historical elections. Also, can we pretty please have a script effect to trigger new elections in a country via event? With sugar on top? Because right now you could do 'government = fascist_republic' to the USA, but all the democrats/etc. will stay in charge of the country. Unless there's already a different fix for that.

Secret? I can guess it has something to do with theatres, but how much of a new feature is it? Is it so you can arrange the command hierarchy and leaders in this tab?

Love the fix for historical elections. Also, can we pretty please have a script effect to trigger new elections in a country via event? With sugar on top? Because right now you could do 'government = fascist_republic' to the USA, but all the democrats/etc. will stay in charge of the country. Unless there's already a different fix for that.

That would be pretty awesome, along with the ability to set the ideology of a country in an event, not only check it :rolleyes:
There is a workaround (using a special government type), but it is rather bulky to say the least...

Ministers and custom elections are good news to hear of. It seems game development finally tends to inspire soul into it - a matter yet missing. Keep it up this direction and it might become able to fill the footsteps of it's predecessor.

Great news. Asto the AAA firezones and bomber fiy overs, either you can try to program the damage provence by provence which has already been shot down as difficult to implement, OR you can make the target city AAA more damaging and less subseptable to bomb damage as a reflection of the AAA in the city defensive belt and units encountered along the way to the target. Yes it is an abstraction (which would benefit by some kind of Distance Traveled modifier to damage delt) but it is an improvement over the existing situation and welcomed. Thanks for listening to the community comments about this issue.

Erm, what is the work around? *curious*

Create a government type with elections held every month (duration = 1) and set that one as the government type for the nation you want. The game calculates the next election based on the last one's date, so unless you do this within one month of game's start, you will get an Election on the next day. (Restoring the original government type is a bit trickier, because you need to store it somehow beforehand, but that's not too hard.)