+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Motherland Developer Diary 7 - Historical Elections and Foreign Ministers

Paradox Code Kitteh Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by PaxImperator View Post
    Podcat, in the screenshot I see that domestic spies can no longer raise national unity as well as the announced change of not being able to lower neutrality. Are there now different mechanics to influence national unity positively, and will the freed-up interface space be used to show more countries in the scroll menu?
    ah someone noticed :P Its temporary only as I removed it by mistake, but havent put it back in time for screenshot.
    Last edited by podcat; 11-05-2011 at 13:52.
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

I don't know if the flight path arrow is only on the map for decoration or if it is actually calculated by the engine, but if it is, then yes, it would be possible to use that to dish out some damage to the bombers on the fly. Now the only problem is how do you tell the AI (or even the player) where the planes will come?
    Sir NeoCore Slan, OLIR, beta of FtM, appointed judge of Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest, Fan of the Week (22-11-2011) and I also play HoItCG.
    The Historical Plausibility Project 1.0.4 for HoI3, 2.0 for HoI3 - Semper Fi and 2.7 for FtM

My latest work from my Ink Well (which is post #200 in the Ink Well thread):
    Hitler's gamble - An alternative German Strategy (Vanilla HoI3 - Semper Fi 2.03c) finished
    Ten Reasons why Europa Universalis III is the worst game EVER (Vanilla EU3 - Divine Wind) finished
    The New Adventures of the United Nations... in Space - A Space Empires V AAR canceled after Season I

"Always write things on the forums that you’d be happy for your mom to read." - Fredrik Wester

Paradox Code Kitteh Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I agree AA should be able to damage bombers on their way to targets, but currently the engine doesnt really support it, mostly because the planes do not actually enter the province because of speed and when combats are checked. The changes in the dev diary were only for making them stronger for local defense.
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by podcat View Post
    ah someone noticed :P Its temporary only as I removed it by mistake, but havent put it back in time for screenshot.
    I was covering for you, but you ruined it!
    Relentless madman.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourIron CrossLegioMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

I agree AA should be able to damage bombers on their way to targets, but currently the engine doesnt really support it, mostly because the planes do not actually enter the province because of speed and when combats are checked. The changes in the dev diary were only for making them stronger for local defense.
    That's too bad. I was really looking forward to this upgrade as it was so logical and used in HoI2 and it seemed silly to leave out something in a newer version of game.

I am at least happy that the changes will make AA a meaningful investment; I hope you can find some way to change it or at least implement in HoI4. Which I hope is inevitable
    AARs: From Sicily to Italy: A Tale of Re-Unification, Expansion and Empire:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=472240 (Cancelled)

Summa sedes non capit duos.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIStarvoidMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Would you mind telling us what your (possible mutiple) approaches to this problem is? Eg if you plan to give AA enough punch to really hurt bombers, or if you are going to eg add neighbour province AA to the calculation at the and of the skip or... AA in one province should not be able to criple a Strat wing, but in the game, it does cross mutiple provinces with AA and thus should suffer accordingly, both in strength and org.

In the state you described AA, one would still not only need to build a wall of AAs in length but also in depth. It is somewhat annoying that you have to assume that a considerable part of the stationary AA would probably never fire a shot because the aircraft are warping in between provines without ever crossing the provinces in between. Stationary AA would only be useful to protect really high value targets. This needs to be considered as well when balancing the new stationary AA :/

I definitely like the changes to the elections. Also love seeing the foreign ministers. I'm really itching to get my hands on FTM. I'm still concerned about how the changes to neutrality will affect minor countries but I'd like to see how that plays.
    Midnight Sun: Denmark AAR 1936 - In progress

Aut Vincer Aut Mori

Field Marshal
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Positive news.
    Will non-linear repairs be back? So repairing radar/AA from level 1to 3 takes dunno, 3 days, while repairing 9 to10 could take 3 weeks? Or "non-linear" is forbidden expression?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Traks View Post
    Positive news.
    Will non-linear repairs be back? So repairing radar/AA from level 1to 3 takes dunno, 3 days, while repairing 9 to10 could take 3 weeks? Or "non-linear" is forbidden expression?

If they take exponentially more time to build, they would also need to be exponentially be more effective and harder to hit.

AHOI-Mod Series Developer Demi Moderator Chromos's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Blog Entries

Smile

While I'm working on multi-threading improvements for For The Motherland I figured we'd share some of the small improvements we made lately. Stuff we have seen mentioned on the forums or didn’t feel were quite up to standard.

Last but not least, static anti-aircraft batteries have gotten a bit of an overhaul. They are now much more resistant to bombings (for modders this is a scriptable value per building type now) and much more powerful (before a destroyer was better than even a fully upgraded level 10 AA), they also get a twice as strong boost for each level of the Heavy AA Guns tech than before. Hopefully this should give them a bit more importance in the game.
    Hi!
    Maybe also add a scroll bar in the Statistics screen?
    So also "your" DLC's show the used units correctly?
    (Now that is not only a modder related stuff, but an official Paradox release since CWoWW2 and DIES IRE:G and SWoWW2 ?)

And I really like the current additions!

For the AA.
    Nearly 80% of Bombers get through over the war IIRC.
    So not sure how to modell that the best, and if later techs like early AA-rokets(Wasserfall) would make a big difference.
    But I already like the possibility to mod the buildings some more.

Maybe the damage from AA of just overflown provinces can be modelled by an attrition modifier?
    So lets say for bad navigation that brings you to near to another city?

I don't know if that is only my experience, but often if I intercept bombers they still get trough the fighter screen and bomb the tartget successfully. But maybe that is just a balance issue about Org?

Kind regards,
    Chromos
    Former Game Developer East vs. West: - Lua AI / Political -
    AHOI-Mod - A Hearts of Iron 3 "Treasure Chest": Soon: Play WW-I up to the Cold War
    First AAR by me! -> Victory Ahoy! (A Let's Play AAR with AHOI-Mod-"Treasure-Chest")
    AHOI-Mod - Widescreen Mods (For std HoI3 from SF to TFH): See more at a glance/usable from 1280*768 on
    AHOI-Mod - Widescreen Mods (For other HoI3 Mods): See more with your fav mod -usable from 1280*768 on
    AHOI-Mod - Dynamic AI (For std HoI3 FTM): Play with an ai that is adjustible wih decsions
    Check my profile: Find out more info about HoI-III, modding and the AHOI-Mods

Field Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Baltasar View Post
    If they take exponentially more time to build, they would also need to be exponentially be more effective and harder to hit.
    No no no. Build time should be normal, I was mentioning Repairs. Mostly for infrastructure, but also buildings.

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and Gold
    MagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband

Thanks for the update, elections are nice I guess, improved AAA was pretty much required (but moddable damage modifiers for buildings are awesome!) and beeing able to see ministers now is pretty cool

But seeing us fans are greedy bastards (or at least I am ):
    On intelligence - intelligence isn't really intelligent at the moment, as they constantly forget what they knew 5 mins ago if a spy dies or you lose LOS on something, would be cool if you "remembered" building levels and units their last known location (or at least the fact that the unit actually exists).

Frontage - Combat modifiers are nice and all, but it would make a lot of sense if a mountain province had much less combat_width available than a plains province. Beeing able to modify that would be pretty cool (same with rivers, attacking over a river should reduce combat width)

Traits - I've never seen the "surprise_chance" (trickster) effect do anything in land combat, might be me, but if its not, maybe change its effect to something usefull? :P (small increase in chance for combat events to fire maybe?). Also, more modifiers are always awesome.

Weather - If it would be possible for weather to increase attrition for a unit that be pretty nice

Experience - Fixing experience for leaders (it takes the same amount of exp to go from lvl 5-6 as to go from 1-6 (all generals should start with 50% exp to fix this) would be cool

Stockpile - beeing able to define max stockpile somewhere would be nice (and easy to add? )
    Last edited by Hakello; 11-05-2011 at 23:09.
    Why is the Eiffel Tower so high?
    So that the white flag is visible from further away

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2Naval War: Arctic CircleEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordV2 AHD BetaPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Short AAR but very important informations.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    I was covering for you, but you ruined it!
    Such a grave disappointment!

Anyway, I noticed just now that the foreign ministers in the screenshot are ordered very differently than your own country's in the politics screen. I hope you'll put the foreign cabinet in the proper order if you haven't already.

I've enjoyed this dev diary by the way. It isn't spectacular like the strategic resources one but the AA and variable elections are news to me (and good news at that), and it's satisfying to see the much-anticipated foreign ministers feature in action.
    Add over 400 authentic province pictures to Hearts of Iron 3: [PPIM] Province Picture Immersion Mod
    Play a Hearts of Iron 3 game that makes sense: [HPP] Historical Plausibility Project

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Something I would LOVE to see in this expansion, is to see each countries civilian/solder casualties and perhaps the number of solders the country has killed! :P
    The Great Northern War

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I know this is not really about HoI3 FTM, but will this feature with elections at different times will eventually be implemented in Victoria II? Since the party system is alike (about the ideologies) it would make sense, along with a better representation of the lower chamber.
    Mes AARs:
    CK: (mort à cause d'imageshack)
    EU3 NA IN: In nomine imperia(interrompu pour un temps indéfini)
    Commerce, guerre et colonies, l'Archiduché d'Autriche (1483-1540)
    CK2 : --à venir éventuellement--

« [...] Nous ne sommes pas les derniers colonisés de la terre, mais les premiers affranchis du vieux monde des États-nation. »
    « [...] We are not the last colonized of the Earth, but the first emancipated from the old world of nation-states.»
    -Pierre Elliott Trudeau, 20 mai 1980

Field Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Yazem View Post
    Something I would LOVE to see in this expansion, is to see each countries civilian/solder casualties and perhaps the number of solders the country has killed! :P
    Totally no. Please go reread forum rules on why.

Totally no. Please go reread forum rules on why.

How about have a statistics of that but the game brings it disabled and you have to enable it in options to see it.

Also, the ministers show up in an inverse fashion. The Head of State and all the ministers below it go on the left column while the Head of Government and the other ministers go on the right column.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Ah, I'm sorry! I usually don't read HOI forum, and therefor I forgot to read the rules. I apologize.
    edit: I have read them now!
    The Great Northern War

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    No no no. Build time should be normal, I was mentioning Repairs. Mostly for infrastructure, but also buildings.
    Same thing. More time for repairs would require adjustments as descriped above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast