• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pantrax

Private
71 Badges
Aug 26, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
While I've tried Core before it's been ages since I last played it and that was on hoi2/arma. Playing beta 5 on 1.07 AoD as USSR on Normal/Normal there's atleast a few things that are causing concern. Namely that the Axis power seems weak. My guess would be their AI execution. In my game Germany never went for Belgium even though they were at war and Netherlands quickly fell. This resulted in a standoff at the maginot line where Germany had some attacks leading into France before they were cut of and died. By 1941 I was worried for Germany as nothing had really happened, the three countries mentioned all owned their "own" provinces.

I wasn't to worried for Italy at start since they seemed to be doing fine in Africa, but something big must have happened cause suddenly they were annexed by UK (late '42).

It's mid '44 now and Germany has retaken 3 provinces in northern Italy, nothing big and i suspect they will fall soon. If I had involved myself it would have been easy pickings for me, but at least they provide a distraction for the allies while i expand in Asia.

There's an ongoing problem in North Africa both in vanilla AOD and with a lot of mods, in that the Italian AI can't or wont adequately guard the beaches along there. - in HOI2 the AI was aneimic when it came to naval landings so it didn't matter, but now it's common for the Italians to be doing okay, then for British landings to occur in Tripoli for them to be cut off an surrounded because their own ports were taken. It's quite frustrating to watch.

The problem you see with Germany in Belgium occures about once in every four games for the version you are playing. This was something we worked on in the "high teens" of 0.50, i.e. somewhere between 0.50.15 and 0.50.19.

The latest version (0.50.24, currently existing only on my computer) has some additional tweaks to the German AI. I saw them pull out of such a hang-up within a week last night, so I am fairly optimistic.

Faction balancing is quite complex. Just two things that were instrumental in getting the Axis right as an example:

Japan was always steamrolling China. The solution was not to make Japan weaker or China stronger (at least not much), but to give Japan historical naval build preferences. This slowed them down in China, but gave them a decent navy for the Pacific war.

Germany broke into the Soviet Union practically each run. Again, the solution was not to make Germany weaker (we actually had to make it a lot stronger since it was not building the historical division numbers), but to give the SU a better AI.

Regarding Italy:
The Italian AI is extremely resistant to doing what you tell it to do. The recent versions very clearly spell out that it needs to put troops in Albania to attack Greece and it just ignores the order. Again, you have to be aware where we are coming from. A couple of versions ago, Italy was wandering off into the Sahara to conquer Chad, despite clear "ignore" instructions in the AI. 20 versions ago it was unable to conquer Ehtiopia....

Regarding Italy:
The Italian AI is extremely resistant to doing what you tell it to do. The recent versions very clearly spell out that it needs to put troops in Albania to attack Greece and it just ignores the order. Again, you have to be aware where we are coming from. A couple of versions ago, Italy was wandering off into the Sahara to conquer Chad, despite clear "ignore" instructions in the AI. 20 versions ago it was unable to conquer Ehtiopia....
>A couple of versions ago, Italy was wandering off into the Sahara to conquer Chad, despite clear "ignore" instructions in the AI.

Surely it's worth being blunt and just killing the province connections between Libya and Chad- they don't exist on the darkest hour map and certainly didn't really exist in history since no credible force could be supplied there (which AOD pretty much models, just that the AI doesn't understand).
It's probably crapping itself because it sees it as an undefended front.