• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wat........

If you are building new units to make up for the shortage of actual combat units in garrison, I would imagine building garrison units would be quicker than building an entirely new combat unit.

Not really. My milita practicals and tech has been neglected, so regular infantry units are more efficent to produce than garrison units, plus the fact that they will have a chance in frontline combat being so teched up.

You have no idea how badly I want to turn that European landing into a giant pocket. You have the men! But I understand that drawing it out benefits you most in the long run.

As a general rule, I let the AI do most of the fighting. What happened in Spain, Britain and America was the result of that. Not really the best outcomes, but keeps the AAR interesting!

I just found this AAR and I admire your dedication. The USSR is my favorite country to play as but when I win WW2 I always get to lazy to "finish the job" and take on the US.
Congrats for finding the patience to do it and for the quality of this AAR !

I just found this AAR and I admire your dedication. The USSR is my favorite country to play as but when I win WW2 I always get to lazy to "finish the job" and take on the US.
Congrats for finding the patience to do it and for the quality of this AAR !

Thanks for taking the time to read! Glad you think the quality matches my patience as well!

I understand fully your reluctance. There are times when I can't find some units, or forget why I'm building these ships, or generaly struggle to get through things. That said, having a AAR helps a great deal, as I think things are building up to a dramatic ending!

When do you think you'll be ready for a second invasion of the United States?

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to invade South America first and then work your way up northward through Central America and into Mexico?

Also, do you manually control your navy? And the immediate landings thereafter? I know you use the AI for main front line combat, but I was curious about that.

When do you think you'll be ready for a second invasion of the United States?

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to invade South America first and then work your way up northward through Central America and into Mexico?

Also, do you manually control your navy? And the immediate landings thereafter? I know you use the AI for main front line combat, but I was curious about that.

It really depends. I won't risk another major commitment of troops until the European theater is stable, then, we will see.

Central and South America is a problem. The simple fact is that this game has been through so many versions of HoI 3 it's a wonder it works at all. So far, nothing major has reared its head. Until now. I had a look at the Allied powers, and besides America, none of them have any sufficent land forces. The same goes for my allies, who had nothing besides a few ships built.

I'll look into a solution for this, but should none become apparent, I will limit any further landings to either areas geographicaly close to the US, or close enough to a US base for reinforcements to appear (basicly, Mexico to Colombia). I could land further south, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, but without any resistance, what would be the point, besides a gamey exploit to draw some 3000 American brigades into a huge supply trap?

I use the AI for just about everything on land. Air units are 50/50. Some I detail to AI control, and keep a few as a firebrigade to areas that might need extra help. My navy is also controled by me for the most part, though in backwater areas such as the Med or the Baltic I let the AI run the patrol ops.

FYI, I put the estimated American strength at about 8000 brigades. Thats meerly from looking at the hundred or so in Panama, and mousing over the screen-filling list in Washington DC.

It really depends. I won't risk another major commitment of troops until the European theater is stable, then, we will see.

Central and South America is a problem. The simple fact is that this game has been through so many versions of HoI 3 it's a wonder it works at all. So far, nothing major has reared its head. Until now. I had a look at the Allied powers, and besides America, none of them have any sufficent land forces. The same goes for my allies, who had nothing besides a few ships built.

I'll look into a solution for this, but should none become apparent, I will limit any further landings to either areas geographicaly close to the US, or close enough to a US base for reinforcements to appear (basicly, Mexico to Colombia). I could land further south, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, but without any resistance, what would be the point, besides a gamey exploit to draw some 3000 American brigades into a huge supply trap?

I use the AI for just about everything on land. Air units are 50/50. Some I detail to AI control, and keep a few as a firebrigade to areas that might need extra help. My navy is also controled by me for the most part, though in backwater areas such as the Med or the Baltic I let the AI run the patrol ops.

FYI, I put the estimated American strength at about 8000 brigades. Thats meerly from looking at the hundred or so in Panama, and mousing over the screen-filling list in Washington DC.

8000 Brigades... :eek:

How the hell can they build and supply that many? Are you sure?

Excellent job Comrade on feigning weakness and luring the American Imperialists into Europe. Soon they shall realise the have falling into a trap from which there is no escape! :laugh:

8000 Brigades... :eek:

How the hell can they build and supply that many? Are you sure?

Excellent job Comrade on feigning weakness and luring the American Imperialists into Europe. Soon they shall realise the have falling into a trap from which there is no escape! :laugh:

No idea. I even struggle with my troops in Spain, and that's just the vannila Soviet OOB with a army or two added! I've not got a exact count yet, but every IC province in America has at least a triangular division, there are megastacks in Washington, Boston and New York, as a whole load of well-armed men in Panama. Simple fact is, I'd rather face all those stacks in Europe where a proper war can be fought than slug it out trying to land again!

Mechanized Warfare

With the US forces in Europe firmly over-extended, the pressure was on STAVKA to commit to the counter-offensive to drive the American units out of mainland Europe. In a high level conference beneath the Kremlin, war weary generals were called back to consider various options. Despite the protest of a significant number of Soviet commanders (incidently, the majority happened to be officers too young to have been affected by Stalin's purges) over the lack of reserve formations to exploit any breakthrough, plans were developed, and designed to be put into motion by the end of March.

When the plans were put into motion, feilds in France and Spain were changed from a state of non-existant warfare to a landscape scarred by tanks and APC's and littered with war materials. The Soviet plan would exploit the fact that American units were spread too thin to react to more than one serious advance. As a result, there was a slow, broad front advance into Western France, while in Catalonia, the Soviet armoured and mechanized divisions were released to tear into the US supply lines. Despite chronic supply shortages of Soviet troops in Spain, such was the importance of the Spanish phase that for a month all non-essential supplies arriving in Spain were earmarked for the armoured attack.

1france.jpg

The broad advance across the French front suceeded in bogging down the American units in combat, leaving them unable to redeploy without risk of being over-run.
While the fighting in France was across the whole front, in Catalonia the advance was to be a stabbing thrust to drive a wedge between the US units in France and Spain, with the Pyrenees as the wedge.

At the appointed time, and after a breif but heavy bombardment by rocket and cannon fire, the Soviet mechanized advance started. American units, already dazed by the fall of shell and rocket were awe struck by the huge numbers of Soviet AFV's. Despite this, they fought hard. Dug in anti-tank groups had to be cleared out by dismounted infantry fighting from position to position. Eventualy overwhelmed by numbers, the American commander in Spain ordered a general retreat, and for units to reform and dig in behind the Ebro River. As they retreated across the river, every possible bridge was destroyed, with none being spared, not even the historic Puente de Piedra bridge in Zaragoza.

2northeastspain.jpg

The initial stages of the Spanish part of the counter-offensive began south for Zaragoza with a swift and heavy bombardment.

oth062_4.jpg

Soviet tank units moving through the French countryside. While not all of the area was suited to armoured warfare, the pace of the advance was kept high.

The crossing of the Ebro River would become standard reading as a part of Soviet officer training. Within two days of the offensive starting, Soviet armoured units had reached the river. Infantry in assault boats had already crossed into Zaragoza and continued the advance while engineer units constructed crossings for the armour. Another day after this, tanks were crossing the Ebro and the town was secure. A further three days after this Soviet units were deep in the American rear, and every commander involved was screaming for reinforcements to help consolodate the huge gains.

3overall.jpg

The downside to exceeding expectations was that STAVKA had not detailed enough units to defending the territory gained. By luck, this was limited by the American's lack of supply, pressing concerns in France and lack of units in reserve to be commited against the breakthrough.

By the start of April, the Americans were facing near total defeat in France and Spain. The front was broken in two and less supplies than ever were reaching the front line. There was talk of withdrawal or surrender, but that was drowned out by the calls for more; more troops, more supplies, more everything. There was debate in the US over the worth of this; many were concerned that the entire front was doomed, and that troops would be better off defending places like Panama, or assisting in the re-capture of Britain or landing in Ireland to throw out the Soviets for good. A compromise was reached, where three cutting edge divisions would be sent to stem the tide, with more to follow if results developed.

What happened next would extract a mixture of admiration and concern from Soviet commanders. Instead of being landed directly in Spain, the divisons were put ashore just north of Nantes in a stunning move. The Soviet Atlantic Fleet was based just up the coast. In a remarkable fluke so common in war, Soviet radar would mis-identify the unguarded transport boats as a Spanish destroyer squadron, and as a result go un-noticed until the very concerned party leader in Nantes phoned to report American tanks in the streets.

4supriselanding.jpg

The suprise landing was attributed to MacArthur, who's rashness was known to STAVKA. However, a landing troops with no air or naval cover was rash even for him, despite the fact that it threw the Soviet plans into chaos.

STAVKA had little to nothing around Nantes to contain the invasion. There was a Rifle division garrisoned in Brest, but it would be sore pressed to contain three American divisions. It left STAVKA with the odd sensation of hoping that the Nantes landing would not become problematic until the situation in Spain had cleared up.

A troubling sight in France when you consider just how many divisions the USA has to throw around.

Nice to see this AAR coming back!

Funny considering the US Army was only 80 divisions at the end of the war.

YES!!! An update!!! :)

Push the despicable capitalists into the sea and bring REVOLUTION to the entire earth!!! And pay a visit to Lenin's tomb in Red Square as he will give you spiritual guidance to crush the exploiters once and for all!!!

Good work in Spain. It would be best if you could get control of that situation before attempting another landing in the Western Hemisphere.

Also, have you given any thought to simply nuking the USA into oblivion and just taking a single VP later on once their national unity is at practically zero? I apologize if you have previously talked about this.

A troubling sight in France when you consider just how many divisions the USA has to throw around.

Nice to see this AAR coming back!

On the upside, they need to supply them!

evil allies be menaceful...

Tell me about it. I think it's all over in Western Europe and they land in France and Spain!

Funny considering the US Army was only 80 divisions at the end of the war.

Well, there are about 80 just in Spain alone!

YES!!! An update!!! :)

Push the despicable capitalists into the sea and bring REVOLUTION to the entire earth!!! And pay a visit to Lenin's tomb in Red Square as he will give you spiritual guidance to crush the exploiters once and for all!!!

Good work in Spain. It would be best if you could get control of that situation before attempting another landing in the Western Hemisphere.

Also, have you given any thought to simply nuking the USA into oblivion and just taking a single VP later on once their national unity is at practically zero? I apologize if you have previously talked about this.

Spot on - before I'm doing anything Spain needs to be secured, and after that mainland Britain. Once thats sorted then we can move forward again.

I'd like to fight it out with America - using nukes seems a easy way out, and seeing as due to the conversion issues that abound with this save, only America has any land units of note, so it looks like thw wars coming to America again.

I'm glad to see this AAR at the top of the thread page again.
I'm surprised France has nothing to deal with this, don't they have any troops ? Perhaps give them an allied objective to take back the shores, they might not succed but at least they will slow the US down.
You should consider sending militia expeditionary forces to your puppets to at least perform police duties :laugh:

I'm glad to see this AAR at the top of the thread page again.
I'm surprised France has nothing to deal with this, don't they have any troops ? Perhaps give them an allied objective to take back the shores, they might not succed but at least they will slow the US down.
You should consider sending militia expeditionary forces to your puppets to at least perform police duties :laugh:

Well, for pushing the HoI 3 engine waaaaay past its limit to the 1950's, having allied nations produce nothing seems a good trade off. However Exp forces seems a excellent idea. I might even produce a few corps of INF for France, the GDR, Norway and Spain.

Well, for pushing the HoI 3 engine waaaaay past its limit to the 1950's, having allied nations produce nothing seems a good trade off. However Exp forces seems a excellent idea. I might even produce a few corps of INF for France, the GDR, Norway and Spain.
Ah, did you edit the game to keep your allies from producing units in order to keep the game from slowing to a craw?

Ah, did you edit the game to keep your allies from producing units in order to keep the game from slowing to a craw?

No. This game has went through various conversions, and IIRC it was either one of the patches or switching to FtM that caused all non-American and non-Soviet units to disapear. It's made worse because the AI doesn't want to restart anything as it's past the '48 end date...

I only recently discovered this AAR, but my feelings can be summed up as: congratulations, it's now in the weekly AAR showcase! :)

Wow, this is fantastic! You've managed to make the absolute grind that is HOI post-ww2 into a really epic game!