• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can tell you why that's happening, you don't have Semper Fi.

EDIT: Also on the Russian Surprise Attack debate. I can contribute to this. I too think it's related to internal triggers. I noticed this when I was taking Paris. I got 3 messages in a row telling me Russia annexed Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. I was like wtf?I know it's historical but they weren't even at war, Russia just vacuumed them up in an instant. They must have used invisible troops! Damn that new Cloaking Technology. Anyways point is, I think Paris and London have significant impact on the Soviet Union declaring war on Nazi Germany. It goes like this: I take Paris. Stalin Gobbles up the Baltic Nations. Signs a truce with Finland. I take London, Stalin's Boys are in my backyard, and I don't think they're here for the Cake & Icecream.

I think Stalin take Baltic states is OK. By the Secret clauses of R-M pact, Baltic States were in the Sovietic sphere of influence, and Stalin in fact took them without fight.

While I agree with the general sentiment that players should have good leeway to play the game they want to, I also appreciate the idea of making things harder for Germany. While we will never know for sure if it would have worked this way, it is a fact that the Germans and the Russians did not trust each other. If Germany were gaining such total accendency as taking London would represent it is not implausible that Stalin would say "Better now than later!" and attack when Germany was unprepared. Paper pacts didn't stop Germany, no reason to think they would have stoped the Soviet Union.

If a Sealion Operation were made by Germany in 1940, an American intervention is more probable tham a Soviet one.
In 1940, Stalin was very happy to see German fighting with Ocidental powers, to intervene. Even if German took London, they will not defeat the British Empire, The Royal Navy and the Commonwealth.

Stalin was very afraid of the weaknessess of Soviet army, after the officers purge, and the fail in the Finland Winter War.
He started to build defenses against a German attack, which he think as probable only after 1942.

Stalin was very happy with the non agression pact, which gave him half Poland, the Baltic states and Bessarabia, without a single shot.
In 1941, he received sucessive alarms of German troops on his bordes and an preparation attack. These alarms were send by British embassy and sovietic intelligence forces.
He did not listen to them, saying that England was not trustable. He used to call "traitors" the ones who said that German will invade soon.
Stalin was very happy with the War, and send germany large supplies of oil, food, coal and metal. This commerce was more and more intense after the fall of France.

When Stalin finally was informed about the invasion, he fell in depression for two weeks in his "dacha".

Stracted from the book "Warlords", from Simon Berthon.

When Germany advances through west, the game could simulate Russian responde through a series of events in which the Soviets build fortresses, fullfill them with reserve troops in the rearguard, and transfer vital industries to the east, which, in fact, they did.

Last edited:
Soviet Union attacking is a bug, it should be something like 10% of attack and 90% sitting on the border waiting for the next year. It will be fixed in the next patch, no ETA yet. :)

If a Sealion Operation were made by Germany in 1940, an American intervention is more probable tham a Soviet one.
In 1940, Stalin was very happy to see German fighting with Ocidental powers, to intervene. Even if German took London, they will not defeat the British Empire, The Royal Navy and the Commonwealth.

Stalin was very afraid of the weaknessess of Soviet army, after the officers purge, and the fail in the Finland Winter War.
He started to build defenses against a German attack, which he think as probable only after 1942.

Stalin was very happy with the non agression pact, which gave him half Poland, the Baltic states and Bessarabia, without a single shot.
In 1941, he received sucessive alarms of German troops on his bordes and an preparation attack. These alarms were send by British embassy and sovietic intelligence forces.
He did not listen to them, saying that England was not trustable. He used to call "traitors" the ones who said that German will invade soon.
Stalin was very happy with the War, and send germany large supplies of oil, food, coal and metal. This commerce was more and more intense after the fall of France.

When Stalin finally was informed about the invasion, he fell in depression for two weeks in his "dacha".

Stracted from the book "Warlords", from Simon Berthon.

When Germany advances through west, the game could simulate Russian responde through a series of events in which the Soviets build fortresses, fullfill them with reserve troops in the rearguard, and transfer vital industries to the east, which, in fact, they did.

This last paragraph is very apt. I feel that shifting major parts of the russian industry machine east is vital, plus can make for a more exciting game. If you had to take these rather than just finishing in Moscow, there would be more of challange. This combined with mass milita defencing these areas should really be reflected in DIG. Otherwise we are missing some game play. Devildread what do you think?

I can tell you why that's happening, you don't have Semper Fi.

EDIT: Also on the Russian Surprise Attack debate. I can contribute to this. I too think it's related to internal triggers. I noticed this when I was taking Paris. I got 3 messages in a row telling me Russia annexed Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. I was like wtf?I know it's historical but they weren't even at war, Russia just vacuumed them up in an instant. They must have used invisible troops! Damn that new Cloaking Technology. Anyways point is, I think Paris and London have significant impact on the Soviet Union declaring war on Nazi Germany. It goes like this: I take Paris. Stalin Gobbles up the Baltic Nations. Signs a truce with Finland. I take London, Stalin's Boys are in my backyard, and I don't think they're here for the Cake & Icecream.

I hope you aware that Baltic States annexation has nothing to do with Paris. There were secret protocols in M-R which basically gave up Baltic States for annexation by USSR without any German opposition. USSR AI just enacted the decision as it became available. The Baltic countries couldn't really offer any resistance, there were so many Soviet troops incoming, it would have been a bloodbath and all the defenders would be slaughtered immediately. The decision is supposed to happen somewhere in the summer of 1940.

P.S Now I read it again and noticed your "historical" part, well you need to study history a bit more, because there was no war between the Baltic States and USSR when they were annexed, the Govrement was pressured into signing treaties and eventually when Soviets arrived with their troops - a coup was made and Baltic States were integrated into the USSR as Soviet republics. And taking Paris doesn't make the Soviets sign a truce, it's all about when USSR AI can enact decisions and how good it's going in its campaign againist Finland, rarely the Finnish manage to defend properly (Soviets just swarm them, logically).

One more sugestion for future versions:

I think it is very unfair, when Germans take London, they catch all the supplies of British Empire.

Churchill was not a fool.
In 1940, when a German invasion was a real threat, all gold reserves of the Bank of England were secretely transfered to Newfoundland, in Canada.

Could the game, in some way, reproduce this with an event?

DD,

Having the game of my life with lastest FtM/DIG. Wow! I finished off Poland Denmark, Benelux and France by 12 April 1940 had to invade UK as treaty with SU still in effect but SU declared war on me ~early June 1940, I think after I took London as been stated earlier in this post. Luckily I was planning on an early war with SU and had all my leg infantry on the border. I kept 3+ Korps to finish business in UK, raced armor to the East and swept all before me...until ~ Jan 1941. WTFO! Huge formations of Soviet infantry, supplies melting away, on the defensive sticking behind rivers, did managed to perform a fast encirclement netting at least 100-200,000 soviets but it did nothing but ticked them off! Not sure how this is going to end, I don't think well, but it's a blast! Thanks! Job well done!! - Rick

Quick question,

Is it a bad idea to copy the beta lua files from lothos into the DIG directory or will it have no bad effect? Seems like the beta LUA just changes build and research priorities,
However after I copied them into the DIG script folder everything is fine except that the fate of france event to make Vichy does not popup until way later like 1942 or something after France has fallen.

Hi I have the Steam version of the game. And it dose not work I also have the FTM DLC. when I try playing it I get File Exception in: Discfile.cpp ,line: 433.Description: Could not be open File: what do I do.

Quick question,

Is it a bad idea to copy the beta lua files from lothos into the DIG directory or will it have no bad effect? Seems like the beta LUA just changes build and research priorities,
However after I copied them into the DIG script folder everything is fine except that the fate of france event to make Vichy does not popup until way later like 1942 or something after France has fallen.

Since there are some changes in the DIG lua and you are overwriting them with Lothos ones, it may result in "bad" stuff indeed. But I mostly worked on build priorities and diplomacy, so you can play with it. The late Vichy event should be because of the french AI raising national unity, it has nothing to do with DIG so you can report to Lothos I think.

Oh god damnit. Trying to load up my '42 savegame where I have done Bitter Peace (all west of Urals) and puppet on USSR - it crashes after loading for like 20 seconds. Any ideas why? It worked all fine before USSR surrendered, now it's all screwed up. Maybe it's related to the fact that USSR is no longer in comitern now or something? USSR is now in Axis as my puppet, with USSR puppets apparently being in Comitern.

EDIT: Looks like I found the problem, all of the factions part in my savegame is somewhy completely deleted in the savegame after USSR surrender, what in the heavens...

EDIT2: After reloading autosave and winning USSR again it was all fixed, it seems like.

Last edited:
Anybody got any bright ideas on how to handle 7 USA Carriers with support with CAG off the coast of Norway as Germany?

I have Bismarck, Tirpitz and two 1940 everything BBs coming in a few months, plus loads of DDs.

Anybody got any bright ideas on how to handle 7 USA Carriers with support with CAG off the coast of Norway as Germany?

I have Bismarck, Tirpitz and two 1940 everything BBs coming in a few months, plus loads of DDs.

Depends. If your spotting techs are above theirs, you should be able to take them on, otherwise they'll be able to wipe you out before you can close in on them.

Hi I have the Steam version of the game. And it dose not work I also have the FTM DLC. when I try playing it I get File Exception in: Discfile.cpp ,line: 433.Description: Could not be open File: what do I do.

I have this same error. That makes at least 3 of us with RDRTrash.

I have the Steam version of HOI3 + SF + FTM + DIG.

Last edited:
I have this same error. That makes at least 3 of us with RDRTrash.

I have the Steam version of HOI3 + SF + FTM + DIG.

You need to patch up DIG, see second post of the thread.
Steam doesn't patch automatically when it comes to beta patches.

Hi,

I've come across a small problem in that I accidentally attached my Großdeutschland regiment to an HQ division, and now I can't seem to shift it back. I can call up the 'create new unit' screen, but the GD simply won't separate, regardless of whether I swap across other brigades etc.

Is there a way to fix this, like editing the savegame file, or am I stuck with an unusually well protected general?

(Running the latest FTM and DIG versions).

Try to unatach the leader from the division but most of the time it won't work, this is an unsolvable bug I am afraid.

The only way you can detach it is from the savegame, look for the division and detach the regiment from it.