I was in farplay with the Soviets and had signed MR.
I was in farplay with the Soviets and had signed MR.
Last edited by Savior2; 08-09-2011 at 04:02.
I tested this version for three days and found only one or two minor bugs. So they are perfect compatible.
The betta version is very trustable. I played more than 30 hours on it.
The problem, however, is in the game balance.
Since DIG is made for fans of German game, and For The Motherland is made for Sovietic Defense, some problems can happen.
I will list my "likes" and "dislikes".
What is good:
- Spanish Civil war is more balanced, and Republican Spain is not winning everytime. When the nationalists win, Legion Condor returns to Germany.
- Superheavy Battleships can be upgraded.
- The new event "Atlantic Wall".
- In the Norwegian campaign, England is sending an expedition to defend Norway after German invasion. This is making Norwegian campaign much more interesting.
- England is building more land units, and is able to defend better against Sealion invasion. This make the game more interesting.
- U boats pens event now have a fair price.
What is still lacking:
- In previous versions, Japan was conquering entire China easily. Now, the oposite has happened. Japan does not advance in Shanxi territory. In fact, Japan is in defense, and do not tries to make landings in China. In my opinion, some king of Stalemate, in which Japan conquer some parts of China, but not everything is the most desirable solution,
- There is much less resources now, specially rare materials and metal. In the Semper Fi, it was possible to import huge amounts of these materials build a greater industrial park and build even a fleet capable of fight England. Now this is not possible. For me this is the great lack of "For the motherland". I still prefer semper fi version because this.
Inf semper fi Germany is powerfull, but everybody can be powerfull, because the world is full of resources. Some people, specially the ones who love a hard game, may disagree.
- The "fractured government" modifier is impossible to be dealt with. This is really anoying because I do not now if my national unity is in red because English bombardment and attacks to my convoys or because the effect of fractured government. This adds more micromanaging, because i have to look in the modifier all the time.
- England learned how to defend against land invasion, but France did the oposite. They only build fleet, and are being very easy to defeat.
- England is not giving attention to north Africa, which remains poorly defended.
- The U boot Campaign is harder. The earlier happy times are, in fact, a time to cry for the losses of the U boats crew. Things can be better latter, after 1940´s technologies are researched, and france conquered. - Stay away from planes cover, and destroyer patrols.
- This time Stalin wont be catched by Barbarossa. He is attacking earlier, in may or june, 1940, before annexing Baltic States and Bessarabia. I think Russia must resist fiercely, but not to attack first.
- Russian territory must have many land fortresses as originaly planed. Artificial intelligence should retreat fast to these lines, and only german spearhead armored divisions, with engineers, could be faster.
Some events that could be created after France fall:
- Hitler visits Paris.
- Hitler proposes peace in the Reichstagg.
- England attacks France fleet in the Mediterrain.
- Battle of England Begins.
- "The Day of Eagle".
- "The fate of Bismarck".
- A "Plan Z" event could be created in early game, for German decide its geopolitical future: To build U Boats, or a surface Fleet?
- More special units could be created, like Rommel Phantom division, Eben Emael Engineer Paratroopers, Otto skorzeny Commandos, Gen. Student paratroopers, Gen. Dietl Artic Division, etc.
- England should use "commandos", attacking undefended places in the Atlantic litoral, but being rescued by Royal Navy, as soon as they meet German forces.
- A "Treaty of Rapallo" (later treaty of Berlin) event could be created, to garantee military cooperation between the nazis and the Soviets in early game. This does not happened historically, but one event could be created, in which German should decide if it will cooperate with The Soviets, The French, Italy, Sweden, etc.
- RakovniK is a Tcheck strategic center of automotive industry, but there is no factory in the province. Provinces with strategic effects, should receive more improvements, and their defence must be priority for artificial intelligence.
- Compatibility with others great mods.
I know that I´m asking too much, and some things are not technically possible.
But some may be.
For me, this patch is much better than the original game.
It is very fair that this is a payd mod.
Forgive me because my bad english, it is not my mother language.
Last edited by Savior2; 08-09-2011 at 06:01.
Soviet aggressiveness needs to be fixed via event for those who foolishly dont make a savegame in '40 and get stomped by surprise. Perhaps an appeasement event when you stick to the MR pact to guarantee they dont DOW until 41. Also the wargoal needs to be automatically set or at least a reminder made so that you dont end up with nothing but a few Finnish gains.
Japan needs buffing. Nationalist Spain is winning more often but Japan never does anything. Also they very often end up at war with Soviets which needs to be fixed. Perhaps can call them to war by event?
Yugoslavian minors release event from I.C.E. desperately need to be added. Along with the possibility of the British Union after Sea Lion.
I never saw any british expeditionarys to Norway, but event fired units appearing after GER chooses to invade would definitely spice things up as its currently a 2-3 division walk in the park
North Africa has been fine. Malta always gets taken early. UK generally wins if GER doesnt send troops (as they should), but once they win its left pretty weakly defended
As long as you keep 2 MR subs in production at all times to make up for losses (which is pretty cheap) I usually have 4 or 5 groups of 2 subs actively convoy hunting
I too playing 2.05 but reading the previous two threads I wonder whether I should be playing SF version, I.C.E. or just plain vanilla 3.05. Which is best?
Worried about being attacked by Soviets in May 1940 when heavily engaged in France, if this happens game is ruined?
Been playing since it came out and it's now end of 1941.
Great work DD!!!!!
I want it all - Freddie Mercury
Prey comes willingly to the spider who waits in his web - Jonas Simbacca
Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things - Robert Heinlein
Few other things I noticed in addition to finland enforcing sov and no bitter peace and UK enforcing vichy over and over:
Republican spain is winning war in all my games since 2.05, even with spanish civil war intervention -> yes.
Also like others have said Japan is in stalemate with Shanxi for 100% of game, Shanxi actually beating japan back a bit. Japan never makes any amphib landing in Nanking or anywhere in China.
Usually by time sov is beaten Japan is still in stalemate and USA has taken over Japan home islands
I still do not Know why Soviets attacked me in may 1940, but I invaded Denmark and Norway stil in 1939, soon after captured Poland.
France falls in january 1940.
I invaded England in march 1940.
I send supplies to Finland in Winter war.
Yes, I did wrong.
But in semper fi i did the same more than once and nothing happened....
The only thing agressive I did was send supplies to Finland in the winter war, but I can't see that that should be the reason. In that case it should be informed of when chosing that opion.
But more currently, is it possible to salvage my savegame? I really want to play more. Is it possible to write an event or modifier for the soviets so that they will not attack until 1941 at least? Hope someone can help.
Played 36-sep 42. Everything worked fine. The Jap invasion of China is a Sitzkrieg though.
I think the link to the latest FTM is broken. Does anyone have it mirrored?
Here (FTM 3.05, DI:G 2.05, normal difficulty)
=> Nationalist spain has won the civil war
=> Japan annexed Shanxi and communist China, and is invading Nationalist china
Still in November 39, so SOV has not attacked yet, but I will save before choosing to send something to Finland to check both cases ...
How long until, "...Danevang get back from his holidays" so we can get an update?
"Telling people "how it's done" is rather condescending, especially if you have no idea what their background is." - Had a dad
How to install and play Darkest Hour on a Macintosh computer!
Don't lose your cool. This is a great forum, and there is no point in getting worked up over something pointless. There are two sides to everything.
So im still running checksum HGFG but seem to be getting all the same bugs every1 else is getting with the right checksum. So i dunno...
But my uboats have been destroyed in the opening moments of the battle of atlantic. CAGS from france and british have sunk prince eugen, hipper, deutscheland, scharnhorts.. . Im not looking forward to norway with a already damaged fleet.
Im still only in Janurary 1940 so ill check back to see if i get more of the same errors. Republican Spain won.
What are the effects of the various The Rhineland War peace options?
I just had a very enjoyable game.
I was, frankly, rather gamy and held of answering the league of nations peace proposal until after I took Paris and enforced Vichy. This ended up resulting in a Axis French puppet in 1936, Poland ceding all German cores in a separate peace and, eventually victory over the Soviets in 1939 and Britain in 1940. Obviously I exploited game the mechanics quite badly in conquering France and then using the Rhineland War peace option to make peace with Britain afterwards. I had so much fun I’m thinking of trying another Rhineland War peace AAR where I accept peace at once the way I’m supposed to. Is there any reason not to take the French Reparations? Would not doing so make them less likely to declare war on my later? Ideally I would go against the Soviets in 1939, win there and then end my game with Germany having fulfilled her ambitions and peace restored to the world without any further conflicts with the allies. Would not taking reparations make this more likely?
Last edited by ulver; 10-09-2011 at 09:59.
Here (FTM 3.05, DI:G 2.05, normal difficulty)
It's early 1940.
Nat Spain victory. Oriental Sitzkrieg. No Soviet attack even though I supported the Finns and refused them Eastern Poland. In the west, France fell according to schedule.
I kept around 200 000 men on the eastern front as border guards.
The guys who get attacked from Soviet, do they keep a garrison in the east?????
BTW I managed to get Fransceco's counters to work with D.I.G. 2.05, but not sure whether I prefer these to the vanilla counters.