The struggle for hegemony (1949) - A Darkest Hour Cold War Scenario

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mexbuild

Major
56 Badges
Apr 25, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado

Hello guys.
We all know that Darkest Hour is a great game with two great scenarios. The great war (1914) and The road to another war (1936). The only one what is missing is a cold war scenario. So I want to start a community project to build a 1949 scenario. I already worked on the map and on the international diplomacy. But know I need your help.

First of all. Why the 6th October 1949?

1. On this day the second of the two german states after the war was founded.
2. The chinese civil war was in the balance but the communists are getting stronger and stronger.
3. The Netherlands were on the verge of losing their colony Dutch-Indonesia
4. You have enough time to prepare for the Korean War and a possible third world war.
5. You can still influrence some political developments (Near East, Indochina, Africa)

What are the dimensions of this project?
My intention is only to create a playable scenario. This is not a cold war mod. I only build up a new scenario. If everything is done, we can start adding content such like events and techs.

Want to help?
You don't need any skills in editing or modifying. You only should collect and post informations for several countries.
I would like to see that you post the ministers and slider-settings and the current technologies of the countries for the 6th of October 1949. If ministers are already represented ingame you can post their ID's.

An expamle:

Will FRG still claim the 1919 German border, like they actually did untill 1990? I could help with the country info, especially with the Dutch one.

Its only a cold war scenario. There will be no changes in the techs or units.

@Dutshemperor
Germany will have the borders of 31st December 1937 as cores and the eastern borders of 1914 as claims.

Last edited:
Germany will have the borders of 31st December 1937 as cores and the eastern borders of 1914 as claims.
I'm not sure if the eastern provinces of the borders of 1937 can still be viewed as cores in 1949. By 1949 the relocation of the former German inhabitants of this region by the Soviets was almost finished. The remaining native German population can hardly justify a core to that region. Claims however existed until the 1992.
If however after/during a war these changes are reversed the cores could be added by event. Of course this would mean great efforts and costs for Germany, very difficult this shortly after the last and possible during the next war.

Nice idea! I am not so strong at creating country specifics (ministers, stockpile of resources and such) but I can help on possible events and background info of nations. First of all I like the set up 1949 indeed opens up new possibilities...Furthermore, the Soviet Union tests its first atomic bomb, so the nuclear arms race is on its way! And of course the space race and such.

What I also noticed is the flag of Italy, in 1949 Italy was already a republic so the flag with the crown and emblem should be removed and the ''plain'' Italian flag used...it would be nice for Italy to have in the elections the option to move towards the monarchy as well, with return of Umberto II etc.

Tim

it would be nice for Italy to have in the elections the option to move towards the monarchy as well, with return of Umberto II etc.
Italy had a referendum on June 2 1946 to choose between Monarchy and Republic, so that is not really an option. The Italian Monarchist National Party, founded in 1946 after the referendum, received a maximum of 6.9% vote in the 1953 elections.

Italy had a referendum on June 2 1946 to choose between Monarchy and Republic, so that is not really an option. The Italian Monarchist National Party, founded in 1946 after the referendum, received a maximum of 6.9% vote in the 1953 elections.

That is correct but the referendum was highly contested and only on a close call (54 for 46 against) the monarchy was abolished. Furthermore, although there was only a small monarchist party, a lot of Christian Democrats still believed in the monarchy etc. Especially in Southern Italy the support for the King was high, so therefore it could be interesting to implement some sort of rift in Italy with highly contested election results (a probable takeover etc.) but this is up to the mod developer.

Tannu Tuva was indeed annexed in 1944 by the USSR, and Austria was created only in 1955 (maybe event chain in which the 4 powers relinquish their lands -> maybe possible tension if USSR refuses...)

Are you going for a forced Indonesian independence (e.g. the Netherlands can't choose) or will you let the Dutch choose if they let them go, or fight over the colonies? (Depending on pressure from USA especially)

Tim

That is correct but the referendum was highly contested and only on a close call (54 for 46 against) the monarchy was abolished. Furthermore, although there was only a small monarchist party, a lot of Christian Democrats still believed in the monarchy etc. Especially in Southern Italy the support for the King was high, so therefore it could be interesting to implement some sort of rift in Italy with highly contested election results (a probable takeover etc.) but this is up to the mod developer.

Tannu Tuva was indeed annexed in 1944 by the USSR, and Austria was created only in 1955 (maybe event chain in which the 4 powers relinquish their lands -> maybe possible tension if USSR refuses...)

Are you going for a forced Indonesian independence (e.g. the Netherlands can't choose) or will you let the Dutch choose if they let them go, or fight over the colonies? (Depending on pressure from USA especially)

Tim

I would certainly recommend allowing the Dutch to fight for Indonesia as it was historical. Politionele Acties here I come!