• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

George @ BattleGoat

BattleGoat Studios
4 Badges
May 20, 2005
www.battlegoat.com
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • 500k Club
Dev Diary 5 - Theaters & Battlezones

If you are new to Supreme Ruler or BattleGoat Studios I'll take a moment to say that we we pride ourselves on creating our games with a 'no limits' approach, modelled in a realistic world setting. As such, when playing as one of the larger nations, a player may find themselves in command of literally thousands of military units. As you might imagine, that number can pose some playability challenges.

When we entered development of Supreme Ruler 2020 we noted requests from our players for improved unit management, less micromanagement and an overall push towards making the game more approachable for new players. This has continued to be one of our biggest design challenges, though we know that we can't please everyone. Some die hard players really wanted a true "military hierarchy system" but our real-time-strategy gameplay and wide-open maps became an obstacle to a formal command structure. Instead for SR2020 we incorporated an improved system of "Battle Groups" that provided an ability for players to create groups of units in excess of the traditional 1-10 'number groups' found in many strategy games. We also enhanced the keyboard commands available to provide orders to your Battle Groups. Players that had experienced both SR2010 and SR2020 appreciated the improvement with orders such as Formation Movement, same-speed travel, etc, but there was still a ways to go...

That brings us to Supreme Ruler: Cold War. One of the key design changes we've added to help players is the introduction of "Theaters" and "Battlezones". In addition to the traditional country borders within the game, we have divided the world into 21 Theaters and these are then divided into Battlezones. These divisions can span multiples countries and can be assigned priority and individualized rules that your State Department and Defense Ministers can then use to make decisions regarding Troop Deployment, Espionage, and Diplomacy. An example of this would be playing as the United States and making the South East Asia Theater a military priority. In that situation, unassigned military units within the US could be automatically deployed to positions within South East Asia. In this way, you do not have to review all your units, and manually give each an order to move to a specific area in the world. On-Map Notices (see Developer Diary #4) would then provide players with feedback on the events and status of each Theater making it easier to get a grasp on where the current hot spots in the world are and reacting to them.

Within a given Theater there are many subdivisions called Battlezones which further allow players to assign specific Rules to whatever military units might be stationed there. For instance, continuing with the example of playing as the United States, you could review the Central European Theater, and assign the Battlezones that fall on the borders between Western European and Warsaw Pact forces as High Priority Defensive areas. This would then tell all of the forces that are deployed in the area where your most important positions and front lines are, and direct units to be deployed there to provide good Defensive Strength.

Theaters can also automate other elements of the game. You can queue up unit fabrication in one area of the world, and then deploy the reserve units into a different theater. Larger lists such as country names in the State Department are also displayed by theater making navigation even easier.

Theaters and Battlezones are just another way that Supreme Ruler Cold War will allow players to focus more on their higher level goals, allow them to feel less like a local commander and more like a Supreme Ruler.

by Daxon Flynn / BattleGoat Studios

Dev-Diary-5---SS1.jpg
Dev-Diary-5---SS3.jpg
Dev-Diary-5---SS2.jpg

I feel pessimistic of creating battlezones/theaters in this game. May be it's because of extremely bad experience of HOI3 in this. It might be as useless as battlegroups in SR20.

Theaters can also automate other elements of the game. You can queue up unit fabrication in one area of the world, and then deploy the reserve units into a different theater.

No more transports needed if units can be magically deployed all over the world ... darn I hope my English is bad and I don't understand something!

You must have not read the Q&A thread.....

A: One thing we’ve done with Supreme Ruler Cold War is introduced a system of Theaters around the world and Battlezones within those theaters. Now players can designate that a theater is a high military priority and automatically their Military AI will deploy unassigned units to that theater. And similarly, units arriving in a theater will deploy to the battlezones that have been given greater importance.
Not only have we added theaters and battlezones, but we’ve also incorporated a Merchant Marine into the game. Essentially when units need to cross an ocean, they will travel to a port, automatically "load" into a merchant cargo ship, go to the destination port, and disembark back into the land unit. Obviously when at sea, these units will be virtually defenseless so you will need to take steps to adequately defend their shipping routes. This feature does not mean we’ve eliminated military naval transport ships. They still exist in the game and provide a little more defensive strength when getting units through dangerous waters. As well, the merchant marine requires a port for both embarking and disembarking, and you still might need landing ships if you’re planning a surprise invasion along undefended shores.

This is fantastic. Huge milestone if you ask me. One really cool thing about 2020 was right-clicking->"air transport" and a helicopter would promptly arrive, deliver the unit, and the helicopter returning to base.

What are those square things on the map? Rebel hot-spots (Only guess due to seeing one in Cyprus)?

how exactly USSR functions considering that republics are separated from USSR, When I play with the Soviet Union do I control states as a normal part of my country or otherwise

Yeah, I'm somewhat surprised to see Moldova as part of a different theater to the rest of the European USSR.

Nonetheless, I'm hugely relieved to see this DD. Frankly, I found it impossible to keep track of all the units in SR2020, this sounds as if it will make management much easier.

This is very good. Anything that makes managing global actions easier is good IMO. I do not necessarily want to bother myself with placement of 14501675 units in the Middle East and Vietnam, so it's a major step forward in reducing the unnecessary micromanagement. If someone likes it, then he/she can still do it, so it's a really good system.

I assume you are aware that the federal capital of Yugoslavia was Belgrade, but I am telling you that now just to be sure, for it would be quite an embarassing thing to display Zagreb as Yugoslavian capital in the release version of the game.

Last edited:
If USSR has borders of republics ( as it's has seen on the screens ) so USA must be split on The states as well. And if it's going to be possible for Soviet republics to be independent so the States of USA must have the same possibility. I'd love to do everything to make Texas independent so and Quebec.

I've noticed that too , but I just wanted to see if someone else would say something about it

There are always mistakes when BGs upload new images.

This is very good. Anything that makes managing global actions easier is good IMO. I do not necessarily want to bother myself with placement of 14501675 units in the Middle East and Vietnam, so it's a major step forward in reducing the unnecessary micromanagement.

they said they going to keep the game idea of having million units all around the world. And for now it seems that ocean is going to be overloaded with thousands of units as well since any unit can go from point A to the point B without problems ( even if the point B on another continent ).

You must have not read the Q&A thread.....
A: One thing we’ve done with Supreme Ruler Cold War is introduced a system of Theaters around the world and Battlezones within those theaters. Now players can designate that a theater is a high military priority and automatically their Military AI will deploy unassigned units to that theater. And similarly, units arriving in a theater will deploy to the battlezones that have been given greater importance.
Not only have we added theaters and battlezones, but we’ve also incorporated a Merchant Marine into the game. Essentially when units need to cross an ocean, they will travel to a port, automatically "load" into a merchant cargo ship, go to the destination port, and disembark back into the land unit. Obviously when at sea, these units will be virtually defenseless so you will need to take steps to adequately defend their shipping routes. This feature does not mean we’ve eliminated military naval transport ships. They still exist in the game and provide a little more defensive strength when getting units through dangerous waters. As well, the merchant marine requires a port for both embarking and disembarking, and you still might need landing ships if you’re planning a surprise invasion along undefended shores.

By the way, it's still doesn't answer on this:

Theaters can also automate other elements of the game. You can queue up unit fabrication in one area of the world, and then deploy the reserve units into a different theater.

... units can be magically deployed all over the world ...

@Samilou - I was cleaning up all the worlds capitals this past week, Dax took the screenshots the week before. It's been fixed along with a bunch of others.

@Verenti - The color in this case has no particular meaning, the theater divisions are more strategic/geographical than political. You are correct that the symbol over the region indicates "colony of". The system uses colony in a few different ways, I hope we'll be discussing that soon but won't give the details yet. Internally, the engine/data files do know the regions who are today separate from Yugoslavia.

Are some of you a little optimistic?? Do any of you remember the AI in the previous games? The fact that more utilization of AI is their answer to commanding thousands of battalions has me extremely sceptical and dissappointed. Instead of showing some flexibility, that doubled down on the old system; a system that was extremely flawed. Think of HOI3, a game on the same scale. Commanding a major nation's military forces is a daunting task at the division level, but SR:CW takes that multiplies it by 10. The game will once again be a mess of poor design decisions hampered by poor AI.

I really liked the concept of 2010 and 2020, but you simply cannot successfully combine the things they want to combine. Its neat that the different units have different ranges and capabilities and really makes battles fun to play. Yet, you cannot fight battalion level battles in a strategic scope. You end up with crazy consequences, such as thousands of units and a game that bogs down and plays very slowly. The slowness hasn't changed, I promise you.

I have SR 2010 and 2020 sitting on my shelf, and I have on occasion thought about playing SR 2020, but then I remember the huge micro-managment and poor AI and thats where it stays. For the same reasons I won't pick up SR 2020 are the same reasons I am not going to come within a mile of SR:CW. Bid me farewell and tell me not to let the door hit me where the lord split me, thats fine. There might be a few people that actually enjoy a massive micro-management fest with poor AI, but the rest of you will join me sooner or later, somewhat poorer.

I would suggest waiting until Paradox approaches the modern era with HOI3.

I have my ways to overcome some of the micromanagement as do most other stubborn players like me who find ways to enjoy a game with some unfortunate flaws. The fact that the AI of 2020 is poor if not terrible is not deniable (partially because the game design is not AI-friendly), but I am quite sure they are not making it worse in the new game. The real question is how great and in which aspects the improvements will happen.

Are some of you a little optimistic?? Do any of you remember the AI in the previous games? The fact that more utilization of AI is their answer to commanding thousands of battalions has me extremely sceptical and dissappointed. Instead of showing some flexibility, that doubled down on the old system; a system that was extremely flawed. Think of HOI3, a game on the same scale. Commanding a major nation's military forces is a daunting task at the division level, but SR:CW takes that multiplies it by 10. The game will once again be a mess of poor design decisions hampered by poor AI.

I really liked the concept of 2010 and 2020, but you simply cannot successfully combine the things they want to combine. Its neat that the different units have different ranges and capabilities and really makes battles fun to play. Yet, you cannot fight battalion level battles in a strategic scope. You end up with crazy consequences, such as thousands of units and a game that bogs down and plays very slowly. The slowness hasn't changed, I promise you.

I have SR 2010 and 2020 sitting on my shelf, and I have on occasion thought about playing SR 2020, but then I remember the huge micro-managment and poor AI and thats where it stays. For the same reasons I won't pick up SR 2020 are the same reasons I am not going to come within a mile of SR:CW. Bid me farewell and tell me not to let the door hit me where the lord split me, thats fine. There might be a few people that actually enjoy a massive micro-management fest with poor AI, but the rest of you will join me sooner or later, somewhat poorer.

I would suggest waiting until Paradox approaches the modern era with HOI3.

Look, I had my issues with SR2020, but let's give Battlegoat the benefit of the doubt here. The system described in the DD is clearly designed to address some people's concerns about micromanagement, so if ti does what it says on the tin that'll go a long long way towards making the game easier for the more casual gamer to manage.

Look, I had my issues with SR2020, but let's give Battlegoat the benefit of the doubt here. The system described in the DD is clearly designed to address some people's concerns about micromanagement, so if ti does what it says on the tin that'll go a long long way towards making the game easier for the more casual gamer to manage.

My main fear about the theater and battle zones system is that Hearts of Iron 3 tried to use a similar system and failed horribly. And that was for a game that merely took place on a divisional level while SR: Cold war will literally have countless units all over the map. There is a valid reason to feel skeptical.