• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wave

Rocker moth
61 Badges
Sep 12, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
It's time to sit back and enjoy the work I've made, I'll play a "test game" with my Blood, Steel, Furs & Attitude mod. Plans are to show it to people and test if there is any major problems.

I will be playing as a new nice pink trade tribe in Britain, Cantii.

Prologue
Birth of the nation

First let's take a look what we have to conquer:

5692562587_73269e6d7c_b.jpg

Well, at least I have some job to do in gallia and germania as I don't like this colorful maps..

Ah, excuse me, I forgot to introduce myself.. At least I'm civilized british businessman unlike my neighbours (note the British way of spelling..)

5692562533_1f36053093_b.jpg

Yes, I am Buite Duratid, high elder of Cantii. I'm good with swords, not as good in maths and other important stuff but around here bigger sword and more muscles matters more than intelligence or charisma.. And that's why I'm epic.

Yet I don't have anything special to say about my nation, I decided that organized recruitment would be cool, it grants us some extra trade routes, which means more money, and training men faster will never be a bad idea..

5692562441_f53c7d1844_b.jpg

Future looks bright, plans are to get a couple of unloyal allies who dishonour calls to arms and therefore will give me a chance to invade gallia. Of course I mean after I've conquered my neighbors, as long as I'm ruling Cantii this island is too small for four tribes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start playing forward now and hopefully I can post first (bloody) update this evening :)

Wow. This mod will make life much easier for Rome and Carthage. No more 50k Barbarians from Gaul and Iberia marching toward them.

Yeaps, that's one side of it, as long as nobody unites them and then has bigger empire than Rome and/or Carthage.

I'll start writing update, some quite interesting stuff happened and as usual when I write AAR, nothing goes like planned (Nor like a few short test games have shown...)

Part 1:
Just business, nothing personal

1st January 474 - 30th June 495

One bad side of this mod always pops up when you start a game as a tribe, you'll get more alliance messages spam than you could even think about. During January Nervii, Bellowaci and Parisii had allied me, it's fine with me to have some random gauls as allies because I won't help them and they won't help me as long as I'm on the wrong side of the canal.

Goals for this AAR:

* Own all provinces in Britannia and test the decision to form nation of Britannia
* Own enough provinces in Gallia and Germania to be able to stand against Rome in war which most likely will eventually come

Neither of my neighbors wanted to trade with me but luckily I found some Cantabri and Venetii from the other side of the canal to trade with me.Which is even better, we got all we needed, wood to Cantii which has cloth to make ship building faster and iron to Iceni so we can recruit heavy infantry.

Time to prepare for war before Catuvellauni does it.. Two archers and two heavy infantries and declaration of war. Casus belli for this war is them suffocating free trading in British isles and not trading with me, let's go teach them how it should be done!

15th October 474 AVC an assault to Catuvellauni was mobilized, 27th day Atrebates which was Catuvellauni's ally joins the party. Most excellent! I just need to take Catuvellauni out and go harass those gauls and I'll have a foothold in gallia..

Luckily my high-elder has high martial so I can name him to general, less worries for civil war. When the army finally had besieged Trinovantes at 30th January 475 AVC I Realized that 8 martial allows 'Retreat Is Dishonour' law and so we stormed the in without dishonoring ourselves and Trinovantes was down in 21 days. Gotta admit that I would have been a bit pissed if AI would have done same to me..

At the while I had forgotten Atrebates and they had marched their army to Cantii, my capital, and yeah.. Can't stop loving retreat is dishonour, Cantii fell in 88 days but luckily Atrebateans took some casualties.

5692781585_a826a89866_b.jpg

A few battles were fought, Dumnonii sieged and siege was won. Yay, time to annex my pesky neighbour!

5693350478_3c0f5aa5fd_b.jpg

AAAAARGH! They were leader of the war against me and now I have to wait 5 years to invade Atrebates...

Suddenly Atrebates offers tribute, apparently (and hopefully) they're scared of me. I gladly accept as money is tight and I'm getting deficts about -0.3 every month. The problem for this is mercenary armies because I don't have manpower to keep up normal soldiers.

Quite a long time passed while waiting and nothing special happening, March 476 I hit 0 manpower first time and I have a feeling that we're about to stay on the bottom for a while. At the crossroads event fires and as character loyalties are nice I'll choose adapt or perish to gain +1 civilization to my capital and to get somewhere with research.
Spring 477 wasn't particularily special, preparations for war against Siluri were made but getting casus belli became pain in the ass and I ended up allying them as it was my mission. At the crossroads fires again and this time we honour ancestors, time to find some use for boosted army morale.
Around 479 I got the "We are broke" event and used the money to build two triremes, they'll hopefully prove their usefulness when I need to keep gauls out of my island.

484 was time to test them, truce with Atrebates was over and it's time to take lands instead of money. Atrebates fell in about 100 days and was annexed 15th January 485.
Here a bug note: When enemy army is retreating over a strait and you block it when they're on halfway over you'll get them to fight again but it shows you as attacker and you'll get the -2 crossing penalty. I love pyrrich victories...

Also something interesting that happened during the war, barbarian province Brigantes, which had barbarian power of 10 or 11, summoned 29 barbarian units after Silurians walked there. These guys are may end up being one hell of a problem..

5693352012_86f88c56b4_b.jpg

And sure they were.. they came, saw and conquered, or to be more exact it was like came, raided and burned. There was no way to push them back with my army and none of my allies or neighbors were interested in helping. My plans of colonizing Brigantes took a little hit when I saw Iceni losing 19 civilization, TWICE.. 23rd November 486 they formed a client state of Triboci to Cantii and Iceni. Not good said Buite Duratid, not good at all I said..

5692784059_0656557bff_b.jpg

Something funny and weird or buggy happened too. They were supposed to pay me monthly tribute of 92.14 gold (which sadly happened only once) and I got that amount when they formed the client state and I apparently "defeated them".
So status at 24th November 486: Stability -2, manpower 187, treasury 95, reputation 5,5
Army of 3 mercenary heavy infantries, one militia and one regular heavy infantry and Navy of 2 triremes.

I kept waiting and thinking about the situation for a moment, 24ht September 487 I decided that attack is the only way. Those 3 lovely letters.. DoW! As I expected, NONE of my allies were willing to join the war and I got a couple of nice casus bellies. I admit that the war sure didn't start like planned, Triboci had 12 000 men left of 29 units, can someone clear me why AI doesn't suffer attrition when it's standing 29 units on a province which has supply limit of 7..? Anyway, Triboci came, saw and conquered once again plus they managed to capture the general of the first army who also happened to be my High-Elder.. New guy rose to throne and gave +1 stability. My whole army was destroyed and they occupied Trinovantes and Dumnonii. For a moment I seriously feared being annexed but I remembered Aulerci and my navy. These barbarians will stay where they are while I build an army.

And really, look at that diplomat amount that is running to my borders.. Why don't you ally yourselves damnit?!?
5695696467_7b6647a82f_b.jpg

fearless gallic warrior nations..??
5695696265_80952404b5_b.jpg
As my manpower was under 1000 again (or still..) I needed to recruit mercenaries, unreliable as they reinforce slowly and extremely costy but only way. Thank god that I got that 90 gold from barbies a while back. Attacking over the canal would have been totally idiotic suicide and my rage level was rising as every single gallic nation was spamming me with alliances and none of them honored the call to arms. Bellowaci offers alliance.. Well, it's neighbour, it has 3 unit army and a nice province.. Okayh let's accept. Not a much of a surprise, they dishonour the call to arms and I Declare War on them 2nd January 490. Official annexation happened 6th April. Same happened with Aulerci a month later.
Now something semi-surprising: Siluri Declares war on me while Triboci occupies my both british provinces. That's LOW. And you're going to pay for it. Frustration and annoyance levels are getting pretty high as everyone are spamming alliances, monthly income is something like -2,5 gold. Stability is surprisingly 0 again and luckily no cascading alliances against me yet. I decided to do a little test, offer triboci 10 gold to end the war and those idiotic barbarians accepted it! Hooray.. Or not, I'm unable to get my army to britain if I don't move it in 3 pieces and Siluri is extremely eager to come and rape everything if I send 2 unit armies to face their 6 units and martial 10 general..
I decided to rage against Parisii but as I'm stupid I called Lingones to arms and of-god-damn-course they didn't move a finger before they had a chance to steal another from Parisii's provinces from right under my nose. Can I get a casus belli pl0z?? After forgetting that I've been occupying Parisii for about 16 months I noticed it and annexation called one more alliance spammer.

Around 494 I started collecting cascading alliance force to remove siluri from existence but as nobody else but me had triremes (or were willing to use them) I was in for a one-on-one battle. Luckily I had some overpaid mercenary cavalries and horse archers (what?? Haven't you heard of British horse archers??) who did nice job against Silurian heavy infantry and archers and I was soon ready to annex them. Revolts started rising in gaul, I had something near 18 000 revolting militia rampaging around and I was unable to do anything as I had to remove Siluri from existence..

And guess what, could there be any more appropriate way to end this update than this?? Everything has gone sour and NO I DIDN'T SAVE EVEN ONCE AFTER 487! 8 years lost.. Any suggestions how to continue? Should I play it again and this would be just alternative history?

5696272808_ee9a04cbfb_b.jpg

Also believe or not even if the urge to bang my head trough the screen was absurd I didn't do it for the sake of this AAR.. :wacko:

Last edited:
I would say continue from the latest save, but you also need to get rid of the error, or it strikes again when you expect it least.

I found out that I had saved 491 or something so I only lost a few years. With a little rage mode I played it trough again (surely not a good thing for other nations and my infamy meter) and now everything is in nice order. :) I was two days in Estonia so I haven't played since saturday but I guess it's time for update so if everything goes right it'll be here tomorrow :)

History sure is blur, especially when it's been written by brithish tribe that in bloodlust forgot what they were supposed to be. Trade tribe of Cantii sure did trade as much as they could but gossips and stories about crazy tribe that is conquering everything north of Massilia that were told by friend's-friend-who-you-don't-know moved faster than Cantic (or Cantian?) trade boats and it made any sort of business or diplomacy towards other nations a challenge.

We can be sure about the things that happened between 474 AVC and 487 AVC but everything after that has a lot of variety depending who is telling the story. This is a version I got after looking over and over again the screenies, thinking about dates, checking dates when screenies have been taken (to see are they from first update) and reading the list where I had scribbled down something

Part 2:
iRage
[1]
487 AVC - 503 AVC

War with Triboci had begun in September 487 and main focus had moved to conquer as much Gallia as possible at the same time. Siluri joined the war in August 488 but it seems that peace wasn't made with Triboci during 5 years and Siluri white peaced out as they hadn't even walked into my provinces during the wartime. 10 Ducats were paid to Triboci to end the war, date varies between 2nd January 491 (note I wrote down) and 3rd June 491 (screenie) but neither are totally sure.

Parisii was annexed to part of Cantii 25th November 492, high elder Vertiscus Correid was found dead 9 August 494 and Cottius Duratid rose to throne.

5707574730_303b7eb60a_b.jpg

Next three years are blurred again, very little of any notes have been made (no screenies or notes by me.. Damn rage mood :D) but things should be in order from earliest to latest:

A spoils from shipwreck were found and all 60 ducats were given to state. As manpower had risen to a nice level and now we again had near 80 ducats all Mercenaries (90% of our armies) were disbanded and regular army was trained. Soon after that War was declared against Remi who had allied Eburones and Helvetii. Remi was swiftly annexed, Eburones about half a year later. Sieges were fast as retreat was considered being dishonour and men fought until the sieges were won. Lingones was Cantii's ally but dishonoured the call to arms and was annexed on the way to march towards Helvetii. Helvetian army had occupied Parisii and Carnutes but the provinces were taken back fast and Helvetii annexed 497, possibly 27th May 497 when a note "Rage in gallia end" was made. Probably immediately after this armies marched back to Britain and war against Siluri was declared. 16th July 502 Siluri was annexed.

5707574808_6eeb63d79c_b.jpg

As a side note to war against Siluri, it was the most expensive war of all so far, whole navy of 2 triremes was forgot to Silurian waters and it was lost. Luckily a lot of events that gave money happened and new triremes were ordered to build as soon as possible.

After Siluri was removed from the maps both armies marched (with military access) to Cantii, Triboci's capital and military access was removed. Surprise! I declared war on them and didn't suffer all attack penalties. Barbarian state was quickly under control and annexed 30th June 503.

My empire during the annexation day of Triboci
5707574952_d2001b6609_b.jpg

Status 18th July 503 AVC
Stability -1, Treasury 81 ducats, Manpower 4292, Tyranny 4,2, Reputation 16,7 (Tarnished), war exhaustion 8,16, max revolt risk 17,8 and minimum revolt risk 6,1 (All provinces have at least that 6,1 and just to note, I had omen which gives -3 RR active during this..)

Two armies: 1st Army 16 units and second army 4 units. Armies are combinations of Heavy infantry, Cavalry, Horse archers and footman archers. Navy of 2 triremes, more may be built in the future.

World in July 503:
5707623980_e43435c2a8_b.jpg

Interesting notes when I checked ledger:
Pictii, the scottish tribe which has been sitting alone up there, is richest of all nations with it's 86 ducats, I'm second with my 81 ducats and Carthage third with 64 (or something) ducats.

I'm seventh largest nation YAY!

Against the complaints of republics being slow in research Achaean League (Republic Confederacy (yea yea I know the bonus, shutup)) has all techs over 3, I have construction tech 1, rest 0

Question to readers

What should I do with the money? I have construction tech 1 so I can build Irrigations, Stockades and Forums. Forums most likely will be useless as I have already 2 trade slots in all provinces from a government type bonus.

Romans aren't yet very aggressive, they've had minor conflicts with Carthage but haven't touched gauls yet, it however is very likely that they won't be looking my actions for a very long time anymore as I only have one barbarian province between me and Rome. This might encourage on building more troops and even planning attack to Rome.. Anyway at the moment Roma alone probably can outrun my supply limit so the war could end up having unhappy ending and I've had one alrady against barbarians so I don't look forward to take any chances on that.

What kind of writing style I should use? I'm bit lost right now, I'm not very good with gameplay driven AARs, some narrative novel like could work but I easily overkill it and it changes to über dramatic and heavily character driven like my Armenian AAR

---------------------------------------------

[1] - With a great honour towards my class mate who is leading a Counter Strike: Source team iRage

All screenshots of this AAR will be uploaded to Flickr.com. Alot of screenshots will be not used here but you can check them out if you want in www.flickr.com/photos/aarwave or simply www.flickr.com/aarwave and the site should send you to right place.

Last edited:
Quick update!

Part 2.5
Denying the Inevitable

18th July 503 - 4th August 506

Nothing particular happened after annexations of Triboci and Siluri before summer 504. Quite a lot of revolts rose up around the nation but all were defeated sooner or later.

2nd November 504 war was declared against Aedui, our old ally and only other gallic nation with over 2 provinces. This war wasn't meaned to be major conflict where almost whole druidism world clashed together against same evil foe but it happened. Before I couldn't notice I was at war with Aedui, Dacia, Illyria, Tylis, Rhoxolani, Nervii, Cantabri and Gallaicoi. Rather than this being a bad thing it was most excellent thing I could have ever thought about. Aedui was quickly defeated and they became tributary, Nervii didn't stand against us much longer than two months before they were annexed and at last first army arrived to north Iberia and Cantabri and Gallaicoi realized that they were supposed to match 17 000 men with less than 10 000 divided into several armies. Cantabri was quickly defeated but no provinces was demanded as they weren't connected anyhow to other Cantian lands, instead Cantabri needed to pay monthly tribute of 0.68 ducats. During the war our treasury started looking good and 6 brand new triremes were ordered from dockyards of Cantii and Trinovantes. Only two days after the peace was made with Cantabri the inevintable and expected happened.

5715277527_22d619c2f0_b.jpg

Expectations of this war are everything but good. Rome has 36 units marching to my lands and as we all know you can be braindead and still win in this game as only thing you need to do is spam heavy infantry. And that is what Roman warfare in this game is all about. My expectations of sieges are that they may last something like 3 - 9 days after Romans arrive to the provinces and start assault. Not to say that I'm so deep-ass screwed up at the moment but my main army of 20 units (12 000 men) which might even have some chances against Romans is in Iberia at the moment and I have only 13 units (divided to armies of 4 and 9) to repel the attack. Rome has 69 units, all marching towards me and half of them in one stack (apparently not suffering any sort of attrition) and (the oeber weak (as people often say)) navy of 69 triremes. How friggin' awesome. Also Romans have 120k manpower (maximum is 98k, smells like bloody good events or some sort of cheating, anyway it's 10 times more than my current) and treasury over 50 ducats.

I am sorry to say this but in case I severely hurt my butt in this war I may end up quiting this AAR and do something for the mod which could make more historical correctness and would make playing tribes perhaps a bit easier so they'd have some chances against Rome. Sort of manpower and perhaps forcelimit bonus. (as an example around 200 BC when Cantabrian and Vaccaein troops made Roman army of 20 000 rout in terror and surrender almost without a battle just because of their reputation, how often you heard Roman legion routing and surrender..? huh? Did Carthaginians ever achieve victory like that..? No?)

It may be just my opinion but I think it's quite ridiculous that Rome can train 3 times more troops than I even if I have, more provinces than they do and as another historical example: Helvetii, one province minor in this game, had enough men to send 10 000 best warriors to join the revolt lead by Vercingetorix. Only way to to field 10 units in this game as OPM tribe is to wait first 20 years to collect money and then use all money and manpower (which won't be great enough and you'll need to use mercenaries).

/rant end

During the time of writing this I have actually found a nice little solution for this and I can happily announce BSFA 0.75 released. This version is newer than the one I'm using in this AAR so I won't have any sort of a law boosting my warfare.

Last edited:
So Rome just saved you the -2 stability hit by declaring war 1st:D

Now just consolidate your forces, build up some more heavies and wait till they exhaust themselves in bloody assaults. You already have +50% or even +100% higher troop morale than they have, dont you?

War was fought.. And won :D I forgot that these "civilized nations" and especially republics can't get alot of good generals so I was able to start celebrating very soon when I fought against some martial 5 merchant faction leaders.. :D

I have three updates ready, war, the aftermath and another conflict. The problem is that I don't have internet connection before sunday (typing this with phone) so I can't post the updates.

Part 3
Clash of the Titans
&
Couple of religious nutjobs

18th August 506 - 31st December 520

5718325321_bb08b36b0c.jpg
VS
5718325375_65c3c96606.jpg

Cantii was still at war with majority of existing nations as Rhoxolani was the alliance leader who had joined the war caused by the minor border conflict between Aedui and Cantii and I was yet to realize that peacing out with gauls didn't help. Tylis was totally mobilized against me, 19 Triremes were seen sailing to north on Cantabrian waters (I had my main army there coming back from raid) and this forced me to pay Rhoxolani 10 ducats for peace, even if warscore was near +10 because my success in Iberia and Gallia they didn't accept white peace. Treasury was showing 29 ducats.

Romans arrived to Arverni 2nd September and assaulted the city. Even with full garrison it fell in 4 days. What an awesome beginning for the war, Roman propaganda minister sure was happy and this was about to be around the newspapers[1]. However when another Roman army, 16 units, arrived to Helvetii and faced two armies (4 units + 9 or 10 units, 11 000 men, not merged yet) with both Martial 10 general the propaganda minister sure wasn't as happy.

5718325861_3b9e9d15b6_b.jpg

These two armies were sent to suicide fight, they had to attack the Roman army of 20 units and most likely they'd have some penalty. However, at least once luck was on my side and no penalties were suffered and the Roman general was Merchant faction leader with no tactical knowledge but either very rich and powerful father who had made his son general or just simply some reputation in the senate and had named himself a general. Anyway, this Marcus Fulvius Flaccus was the major reason of the outcome of the war, nothing else could have given me same boost on my own morale and make me believe that we actually can win this war.

5718326123_0d642f7e2a_b.jpg

Revolts had gone ridiculous, not meaning it couldn't get even worse, and I was more worried about revolts than Romans so I called my ally Venetii to the war. They joined and eventually did exactly what I wanted, called their allies who called their allies who called their allies to the war. 3rd March 507 Rome was at war with 6 nations, Cantii, Biturgii, Venetii, Ilegretes, Pictones and Santones. Also my main army had arrived to the scene from Cantabri so Romans really didn't have much time for resting their troops.

Some would say I had quite a lot of traffic in my lands..
5718327415_96e5e47b75_b.jpg

Even with this help next two years were pain, Romans were pressing the attack and the provinces of Arverni, Helvetii and Sequani were under Roman control for almost all the time, luckily the attack was suppressed in these provinces and they didn't advance any longer. At this point I noticed that calling allies which are minors to the war against big nation was probably most stupid thing I did during the war, luckily I was wrong at the end. Romans had easy time picking up my allies' small armies and thus gaining warscore from battles. Anyway now when think about the situation and things my allies did I can't say anything bad about them, they cleared up almost epic amount of revolts as my war exhaustion hit 10.00 at 509 AVC and revolt risks were greater than ever. At 509 I decided to try a bit different way of annoying Romans, I marched one mercenary militia to barbarian province with 18 barbarian power and hoped that the uprising would move towards Roma where they usually aim. Unfortunately I was wrong and 22 barbarian units marched to my lands.

My reinforcements are arriving :D
5718327929_4680a19fe5_b.jpg

My both major armies were crushed in Massilia where they didn't resupply almost at all and Romans were pressing on, rebuilding was slow due to extreme war exhaustion but somehow everything worked out fine. 512 AVC Romans hit 0 manpower, I had 12 000 left and armies were again big enough to take one-on-one with Roman armies. Again thanks to minor allies who cleaned up the mess (roman controlled provinces) while I struggled to keep the Romans in their own lands and at September 512 was time to attack, target was to reach Etruria which was Rome's only iron province to stop their heavy infantry production. Ilegretes, descent sized religious tribe from Iberia brought 8 units which first took severe hits from Romans but managed to take control of Massilia and release some of my provinces from Roman command.
5 March 513 Cottius Duratid died, chief/high elder and the general of my first army. He was succeeded by Bellovesus Divicid.

5718328577_621e116575_b.jpg

12th December 513 last Roman army was destroyed and attack was pressing on. Ilegretes was rampaging around like crazy religious nutjobs usually do and had occupied 3 provinces during the time I had one under control and sieging two.

Status 4th February 514

Stability -1, manpower 787, treasury 49, montly income 0,04, reputation 16,7 (why I never get a picture when it's around 25..?), tyranny 1,9, war exhaustion 10,00, minimum revolt risk 11,4, maximum revolt risk 18,7, 34 rebel units roaming around my lands.
Army 37 units, ~25 000 men, navy 8 triremes.

When I checked warscore at may 511 I noticed that Carthage had joined the party, unfortunately Ptolemy Ptolemy[2] had started invasion to Carthage during the same time so those greenies didn't send any men to Roman lands. 8th August 514 everything north of Roma and Samnium were controlled by Cantii or Ilegretes but I had to make peace with Rome even if it would have been easy to continue and occupy more, revolts were tearing my nation to pieces and I didn't want to start annexing random independent regions.

5718328969_dc69a1c034_b.jpg

I demanded Massilia to Ilegretes because I felt that I have to thank them somehow as they had occupied more provinces than I had and actually failed in my target, Rome still had Etruria and my second objective to cut Rome to two pieces (no land connection to capital-penalties) failed too. Anyway, I survived the first war as a winner now it just seems that I'm about to fight against my own nation for a couple of decades to get the revolts under command..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] or did they use "newsstones" where everything was carved? Sure distributing them could be bit of a problem..
[2] I have to go teach these Egyptians some lessons as they can't even name their children properly, how many gauls were named Cottius Cottius??

Last edited:
Part 4
The Aftermath
&
More religious nutjobs

9th August 514 - 23th October 525

Cantii was screwed up. Even if the war was won there was nothing else but struggle waiting, revolts were striking everywhere and reputation was still, or again, very tarnished and bad in other nations' opinions. British isles alone had over 20 rebel units which slowly advanced towards Cantii, the only province that mainly wasn't occupied by them.

5718329091_fe447400fc_b.jpg

The worst happened, regions wanted to be independent, 6th January 516 Siluri declared independence in Corieltauvi and declared war against me. Luckily my first army, quite ironically lead by general Duratios Elitovid who had been Siluri's chief before the annexation, was in Britain cleaning up the revolts and marched to Corieltauvi immediately and Siluri was annexed again 28th February 516.

5718329231_70cfe94690_b.jpg

It took a year to suffocate all rebellions, last rebel unit was destroyed 18th January 517. War exhaustion was falling down to around 5 and money was used to rise stability which helped alot for rebellions.

Almost exactly year later high elder Bellovesus Divicid died and Chiomara Galbid, wise mature woman, rose to the throne.

5718889604_d4be69d8e1_b.jpg

Her first decision was to complete the mission of annexing Aedui and after that attacking Pictones, however this was again about to be a war where whole gallia clashed against one evil foe..
Aedui was annexed 20th June 518 but Ilegretes (along with Pictones and Santones which were quickly annexed) was now fighting against me, and in case a tribe can cause problems to Rome sure it can cause problems to another tribe, their invasion with 18 heavy infantry units did what they were supposed.
5th June 520 was a day of sorrow. Former chief of Siluri, warhero on both sides and Cantii's greatest general in the died at the age of 70 years.[1] Also other martial 10 and 9 generals were getting old, luckily also women can be generals so I'm not yet running out of them and there is a lot of good generals in jail after annexations.

Rather quickly Ilegretes was totally occupied, Massilia included, but they were still causing trouble in gallia. Allies honoured the call to arms to clean up the mess and Ilegretean army weakened by assaults was destroyed and 24th August 525 warscore hit 100 and it was time to start negotiating about peace. Ilegretes ceded Massilia and started paying tribute to Cantii, I didn't want provinces from Iberia which wouldn't be connected to my main land and I had already enough problems with revolts.

Chiomara Galbid died to old age 23rd November 520 and Carvilius Divicid become high elder.

5718329593_0f83dfa6bc_b.jpg

23th October unexpected happened, I hadn't realized that the war with other tribes had lasted so long and truce with Rome was over. Expectedly they didn't waste alot of time to use the casus belli (in case they even need one) and declared war.

5725498025_8718e63eff_b.jpg

Status 23rd October 525

Stability 0, Manpower 13 556, Treasury 107, Monthly income 4,01, Tyranny 0,0, Reputation 19,4, War exhaustion 6,39 (This is going to hurt in long run...), greatest revolt risk 15,1, smallest revolt risk 5,6
Army 38 units, 36 985 men, main army of 21 units messing with revolts in britain smaller 9 and 8 unit armies in Massilia and Aedui, Navy of 8 triremes in Massilia and it'll be epically screwed up in case it faces Roman doomstack of 78 triremes..

BRING IT ON DECIMUS, I'M READY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Should I write short less or more fictional novel about his life of changes just as a fun project along with this AAR?

DOUBLE UPDATE TO CELEBRATE FINLAND'S ICE HOCKEY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Part 5
Nice try PUNK!

24th October 525 - 28th February 535

This time I was more happy about the war against Rome than scared unlike last time, probably I'd need to stop when warscore hits 50 because achieving that could take serious time as my main army was again marching away from Rome, in Cantii towards Ordovices to once again take down a couple of rebels and war exhaustion was somewhere over 6.

Romans started with the good ol' plan of marching 19 units with martial 4 general against 9 units with martial 9 general and taking some good punishment, however again they brought their doomstack into the battles and ran down a couple of provinces with assaults where bit over 50 units participated. Generally the war was under control even if Romans had three times more troops in Italy than I did.

Rebels were defeated in Britain (but only for a moment as you can see from next picture...) and main army was marching to south, I decided to again call allies to help with revolts. My both allies, Venetii and Biturgii, were at war with Cantabri, my third ally, and as Biturgii dishonoured call they were no longer my allies and Cantabri was able to call me to arms against them.

5726053456_f8c27665d8_b.jpg

Situation was interesting for a while but Biturgii offered white peace almost immediately, 23rd October 525 and I accepted it.
Cantabri joined the war against Rome 12th January 525 but as they had been 100 occupied for a very long time against Biturgii and Venetii, don't know what was bugging again and preventing ending the war, and paying me tribute at the same time their treasury was slowly advancing towards -100 ducats and their help wasn't particularly special as they had not a single unit. Lemovices accepted military alliance and joined the war 8th October 528, all help was appreciated even if not greatly needed.

Romans keep taking hit after hit and my forces are steadily advancing towards Roma. Before it is reached a little incident happens in Treverii.

5725498257_1bb266816a_b.jpg

The revolt is cleaned up quickly and Romans were pushed back to Campania where they were desperately trying to fight against my armies in Roma and Samnium

Two years later war exhaustion was reaching 9 and revolt risks spreading out of hands even if over 200 ducats were used to rise stability in the middle of the war, a thing that makes me rage with tribes is the events how some family doesn't have enough important jobs and drops stability, again probably like month after rising the stability some clan chief complained about this and ended up losing his head, plus dropping the stability back to 0. It was time to sue for peace, warscore was 58. Ceding Liguria, Etruria and Vocontii was demanded and accepted.

5725498327_8335b0c047_b.jpg

The main goal of first war succeeded. Etruria no longer was Roman's and their heavy infantry focused warfare probably will eventually get a bit more difficult.

As usually, after the war I had something near 60 rebel units rising up during the years 531 and 532, all revolts were suffocated and better forts were build to several provinces that were often revolting.

Cantabri was so screwed up with it's own revolts that Astures, one of it's provinces, declared independence and to keep the monthly 0,3 tribute I decided to go help my ally. 2nd March 532 peace was made with Astures, they became tributary to me and paid 50 ducats gold.
This gold was used to build some more triremes as the navy had only 8.

Germans next to me had been at war for decades, they have two cascading alliances, everyone are allied to everyone but at war with everyone and no peace deals are made, apparently some of their armies had wandered into barbarian lands and the uprise had colledted 41 barbarian units which appeared to Gallia Cisalpina.

5726054490_6bc5b9e69e_b.jpg

Barbarians pillaged the province and some civilization value was lost but eventually barbarians were defeated and some gold gained from their loot.

For a quite long time I've had mission to annex Lemovices and I decided to do it to gain core in Lemovices. 25th July 534 after a bit of a struggle as their heavy infantries kept going and occupying my provinces, Lemovices was annexd and core gained.

28th August I again was cursing my ally Cantabri's existence, Epirus had attacked them and they were calling me to arms. Well.... Why not? We join the party and Pyrrhus goes Pyrrich in his first battle.

5725499159_555c279096_b.jpg

5726054716_16d0434846_b.jpg

As always when fighting against greeks you will have to battle cascading alliance force, this time didn't make any difference. Epirus calls Pontus, Pontus calls Bosporan Kingdom, Bosporians call Macedonia, Macedonia calls Illyria and Illyria Rhoxolani.

Exactly month after the battle and 5 years and 15 days after the truce diplomats are approaching again from the south borders...

One more flag to the 'at war' list.

If it really takes half of the Europe to take me down, I'm here. I can't lose anything but a couple of ducats in this war, even a tie could be considered achievement if you check ledgers. I'm probably forced to buy someone off the war as I simply don't have enough armies and manpower to fight in two or three fronts (depending is Pyrrhus as stupid as I think and sends army marching trough barbarian lands)

that was indeed a suitably Phyrric victory ... hats off for historical realism

my only (wee, minor) grumble is the pink ... it is, well its rather too pink.

Way back in the early 80s I very briefly worked in Finland (a secondment from my then employer) & I went to see an ice hocky match end 3-2 against the old USSR ... the celebrations went on for quite a while, so well done ...

What comes to playing ice hockey against USSR, their team had the nickname red machine, and for a reason.. Losing less than 5 - 0 was an achievement.. And finland has won world championship only twice now, first time was 1995. After that sweden has stolen different coloured medals from us 5 times and victory now was something bigger than world peace.. Seriously they were partying so hard that they got the trophy broken :D

Thnk you Loki for your kind comments, it's very important to get feedback because otherwise writing starts to feel useless and I don't get motivation to do it..