• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's the first Thursday of a new month, and the stars just happen to be exactly right for a new entry in the Crusader Kings II developer diary! God willing, it will be an enlightening one. Yes, my friends, it is time to get serious and talk about religion, and, being a game about medieval times, religion obviously plays a huge part.

There are three groups of religions in CKII: Christian, Muslim and Pagan. Each group encompasses the main religions (e.g. Catholic and Orthodox) and their heresies (Waldensian, Bogomilist, etc.) Now, the specific religions have certain characteristics that set them apart from each other. For example, Catholicism has an independent chief pontiff (the Pope) who can excommunicate people and call for crusades. He can also, on rare occasions, grant a divorce or a special Casus Belli. Rulers can request excommunications, divorce or an invasion casus belli from the Pope, but it will cost them a lot of Piety, and requires that the Pope hold them in high regard.

Perhaps the most central feature of the Catholic Church, however, is the investiture of bishops. As you probably recall, fiefdoms can be held by members of the clergy (the rich and juicy Temple type baronies in particular). The income from these holdings normally goes to the Pope and not the secular liege of the bishops. However, if the Prince-Bishop happens to like his liege more than the Pope, he will instead pay taxes to his liege (and allow his troop levies to be raised.) The problem is just that the clergy naturally tends to favor the Pope, which is why kings can pass a law called Crown Investiture. This allows them to appoint new bishops who are appropriately grateful and loyal. Why not just do this all the time then? Because the Pope will be most displeased with kings who have passed this law, effectively barring them from any special Papal favors. There is a way around this problem too though: antipopes. Kings with Crown Investiture and high enough Prestige can set up a Pope of their own; an Antipope. This will ensure that all of the bishops in the kingdom pay taxes to the Crown, and will allow the king to excommunicate characters within the kingdom (but not outside it), arrange divorce, etc. Moreover, characters within the kingdom are immune to excommunication by the Pope, and foreign bishops who prefer your antipope might actually pay taxes to him (and therefore to you.) Antipopes cannot call for Crusades, however.

Another downside is that the setting up - and existence of - antipopes harms the "Moral Authority" of your religion. This value represents how respected the religion is and its general hold over the faithful. When the value is low, the chief pontiff can no longer call for Crusades, heresies start to run rampant, and characters and provinces will not convert to the religion easily. It is all a trade-off, and trade-offs are the heart and soul of good gameplay.

Crusaderkings2_DevDiary_110505_01.jpg

What about the other religions then? Well, in Orthodox Christianity the chief pontiff is the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, and he is vassal to the Byzantine Emperor. There is no investiture conflict (church taxes go to the secular liege) and the Patriarch cannot call for Crusades. However, he can excommunicate characters and grant CBs and divorces. Pagans have no chief pontiff at all and lack all the special mechanics. The two Muslim religions (Shi'a and Sunni) resemble Orthodoxy, but the Caliph himself is the chief pontiff, and they can call for Jihad.

That's all for now. At some point I will talk more about heresies. :) Until next time!

Crusaderkings2_DevDiary_110505_02.jpg

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

Last edited:
I like what I'm seeing. Will there be ways to up Moral Authority to balance out having an anti-pope? Will other secular kingdoms have options or AI tending to stamp out anti-popes?

Religions gain Moral Authority from things like succeeding with crusades, and also the skills of its chief pontiff.

Last edited:
Hello, there will be another Developer Diary for heresies, ok. Will it be other differents mechanisms for the other religions ?

There might be something more for religions with no official head.

I like what I'm seeing. Will there be ways to up Moral Authority to balance out having an anti-pope? Will other secular kingdoms have options or AI tending to stamp out anti-popes?

I'm looking forward to how heresies work out, too. Will there be an implied "religious stringency" vs. "religious flexibility" slider working in the background as in CK1?

But I am imagining a progression here: Crown Investiture > Antipope > Heretical State Religion.

Really interesting question.

And I'm imagining another scenario : Heresy --> State adopting heresy as State Religion --> Schism !

I insist asking : may our ruler recognize an Antipope as legitimate ? And at what cost ?
That would be interesting if our ruler hasn't a great relationship with the current Pope but has a good one with someone else's Antipope.

And I'm imagining another scenario : Heresy --> State adopting heresy as State Religion --> Schism !

I insist asking : may our ruler recognize an Antipope as legitimate ? And at what cost ?
That would be interesting if our ruler hasn't a great relationship with the current Pope but has a good one with someone else's Antipope.

Currently that is not possible, but it's something we've thought about.

That would be interesting if our ruler hasn't a great relationship with the current Pope but has a good one with his Antipope.

That would fit the situation during the Avignon Papacy, when the recognized Pope was essentially the French King's vassal. Can we do that by the way? Even with no Papal Controller, will secular rulers have influence if their bishops get elected Pope? How will Papal elections work?

Dynasties have their own Coats of Arms in CKII, separate from titles.

I meant the "title" coat of arms. Also, you said that dynastis coat of arms would be random. That's bad :p I would offer myself to research dynastic coats of arms.

But also, my complain was more about the "coat of arms support" that appears in the map. The Imperial support is flashy, but OK, it's Imperial stuff. But the shape of the rest... is just too baroque. I really think it should be changed to permit something more genuinely medieval.

Also, is there a chance to get different degrees of heresy? I mean, Avignon's Papacy was not a heresy, but a schism for political reasons. If France adopted Catharism, things would have changed. I can picture the Cathars turning into some kind of repressive Calvinist-like inquisitors. Purity above all. Things would be different than just changing one pope for another.

Something like:

- Political schism
- Apostolic poverty preachers
- Waldensians
- Cathars
- Free Spirit and Fideles Amicitis
- Dulcinists

There's a huge difference between a schism (like the Anglican Church would be) and the Dulcinists (a violent communalism movement with mobs running across the country sacking churches, killing bishops and "levelling" the people to make everyone equal and destroy private property). Is there a way to represent that?

The more I hear, the more enthusiastic I am about this game.

CK 1 had great concepts but was bogged down by things that often made it annoying as hell to play. This looks like it will be everything that made CK1 fun, and everything that CK1 lacked.

If it's a war over your antipope's claim to the Papacy, you can end the schism, yes.

Would'nt that defeat the point of having an Antipope ? Or would he keep the pork flowing in your direction ?

Also : can you revoke or lose your antipope ?

Sounds cool otherwise.

Would'nt that defeat the point of having an Antipope ? Or would he keep the pork flowing in your direction ?

Making him official would be very prestigious and would restore Moral Authority to Catholicism.

tnx for reply :D

how about regal names and anti-popes? will they follow the same path as popes?

for instance pope Alexander II and there is an anti-pope who's name is also Alexander. Will he be Alexander I or III?
let's say that anti-pope never become the real pope. and than 30 years later another real pope choose the name Alexander. Will he be Alexander III or IV? :)

Religion is looking pretty cool. Got another unrelated question though: How will CK2 be handling the HRE? Will it work like a proper HRE like in EU3, or will it be a German Kingdom again like in CK1?

tnx for reply :D

how about regal names and anti-popes? will they follow the same path as popes?

for instance pope Alexander II and there is an anti-pope who's name is also Alexander. Will he be Alexander I or III?
let's say that anti-pope never become the real pope. and than 30 years later another real pope choose the name Alexander. Will he be Alexander III or IV? :)

He would be Alexander III, but his name would not be recognized by the real Popes.

I'm already imagining the emergence of national churches across medieval Europe. Hopefully there will be a mechanism for religious flexibility and allowing some regional autonomy while staying under the umbrella of the Catholic Church. Heresy should above all be a willful political action.