+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hearts of Iron 3 DLC 'Dies Irae: Götterdämmerung' Developer Diary #4

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I know you can't fix things so I was sort of asking to see if there was a parameter or anything that PI opened up to allow for any of these changes. I know you guys are very smart and try to think about all the possibilities. I was just seeing if maybe something might have been missed. If not I hope for FTM they do something. What good is a resistance movement if England is speaking German.

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The biggest problem the Germans would have faced in Sealion historically wasn't landing the troops: it was keeping them supplied afterwards. The initial landing would have the benefit of surprise; but after that, British torpedo boats and destroyers and submarines and aircraft would have been patrolling the seas off the beachhead sinking every transport that tried to get through. After a couple of weeks the starving German troops would probably have been forced to surrender. Trouble is, it doesn't work that way in HoI3 because disrupting a supply convoy is really hard. The game tries to use the same mechanics to represent U-boats hunting convoys in the vastness of the entire Atlantic Ocean, and MTBs sinking transport barges that are heading to a specific, known place in coastal waters at fixed times.

How to fix it? Well, a couple of suggestions, based on the idea that this DLC doesn't need to be balanced for all nations :

1. You're already using modifiers to the AI's convoy defence chances. Why not give Britain a specific triggered modifer that gives them a huge bonus to their convoy attack efficiency, triggered only if Axis units occupy at least one but less than all provinces in the British Isles?

2. Alternatively, how about creating a special AI-only "coastal defence" unit to represent MTBs, coastal defence ships, and even minefields? It would be similar to a submarine in that it would be very good against convoys, low visibility against enemy detection, but not especially effective against surface ships - and give it a very short range, basically only into the sea zone adjacent to the port it was based in. Give the UK and perhaps a few other countries a bunch of them at the start of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosddd View Post
    ETA for release?
    ^

I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Devildread View Post
    We can't change the way the combat are working but this is the point of the whole "the allies get bonus" system you can see in the screenshots. Along those bonuses for your ennemies, you have several new tech (check the tech screen) such as decoys and coating that makes the submarine more efficient on defense and attack. Abstractly representing all those things you are talking about.

The way the system is designed:
    - 1939-1940 (late): happy time (even a few submarines sink hundreds of convoys)
    - 1941: escalation of defense from the Allies, you start to lose subs
    - 1942-1944 (depending on how many leadership points you invest into submarines): some sort of balance, the war is decided on how many subs you can throw to the ennemy
    Of course you can rush the late techs and wreak havoc from day one, like you can already do with planes or land units.
    Just adding in, IIRC, that the zinc coating painted on U Boats was a German response to a British deception operation (e.g., the Brits convinced the Germans that if they painted their subs with zinc-based paint (zinc was the rarest resource for Germany) that it would be nearly impossible for sonar to work on them). I think that story came out sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s when all the docs were declassifed
    Firm Believer in the Persuasive Power of Collective Violence

Winner of TWO vaunted and extremely rare "curtis Snagglepuss Award for making a classy exit from a thread"

Darkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIMagicka
    Semper FiVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aragos View Post
    Just adding in, IIRC, that the zinc coating painted on U Boats was a German response to a British deception operation (e.g., the Brits convinced the Germans that if they painted their subs with zinc-based paint (zinc was the rarest resource for Germany) that it would be nearly impossible for sonar to work on them). I think that story came out sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s when all the docs were declassifed
    I believe you are refering to the coating thing? It came from here: http://www.uboataces.com/sonar-coating.shtml

---

No release ETA.

I believe you are refering to the coating thing? It came from here: http://www.uboataces.com/sonar-coating.shtml

---

No release ETA.

Actually no. The story the British planted was that they were finding uboats with an infrared search method. It was actually a feedback on suspicions send by Donitz through Enigma, which were then read in Bletchley Park. So the British acted on this by supporting the story via double agents and so on.
    The Germans then developed a paint that absorbed optimally in the infrared spectrum. However, some sources say it actually made it an even stronger RADAR reflector though, thus more visible for the actual detection methods of the ASW fleets.

Some random links found through Google:
    http://www.ijnhonline.org/volume1_nu...lantic.doc.htm
    http://www.deceptology.com/2010/03/t...oking-its.html

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Never heard of paint that increases radar reflection. Heard of the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pier View Post
    Actually no. The story the British planted was that they were finding uboats with an infrared search method. It was actually a feedback on suspicions send by Donitz through Enigma, which were then read in Bletchley Park. So the British acted on this by supporting the story via double agents and so on.
    The Germans then developed a paint that absorbed optimally in the infrared spectrum. However, some sources say it actually made it an even stronger RADAR reflector though, thus more visible for the actual detection methods of the ASW fleets.

Some random links found through Google:
    http://www.ijnhonline.org/volume1_nu...lantic.doc.htm
    http://www.deceptology.com/2010/03/t...oking-its.html
    i don't know the sources do sound a little dubious and i can't find any german source for that and i have seen anything in that direction.
    all devices i know of are the alberich and similar things (sort of still used today in the new 212A class).

Quote Originally Posted by comsubpac View Post
    i don't know the sources do sound a little dubious and i can't find any german source for that and i have seen anything in that direction.
    all devices i know of are the alberich and similar things (sort of still used today in the new 212A class).
    A better source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-submarine_warfare

To prevent the Germans from guessing that Enigma had been cracked, the British planted a false story about a special infrared camera being used to locate U-boats. The British were subsequently delighted to learn that the Germans responded by developing a special paint for submarines that exactly duplicated the optical properties of seawater.
    And no, I didn't just add that in wikipedia .

Quote Originally Posted by Pier View Post
    A better source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-submarine_warfare

And no, I didn't just add that in wikipedia .
    since wikipedia does not give any source and i still find nothing in that direction in german i am still not convinced.

Semper FiVictoria 2

Please find another thread to talk about this.

We are talking about Dies Irae DLC here.

We are talking about Dies Irae DLC here.
    Then spill more beans and let us know other little secrets. OH by the way I see costal subs are listed. Are these really necessary? Not sure who would build them.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

---

No release ETA.
    In Gamersgate is scheduled for next week 10th of May (I've preordered indeed).
    Why do you sound surprised? I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America - Liz Lemon

Semper FiVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by jju_57 View Post
    Then spill more beans and let us know other little secrets. OH by the way I see costal subs are listed. Are these really necessary? Not sure who would build them.
    I can answer questions.
    About Coastal Subs I build them as cheap low range units for the english channel and surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by ashandresash View Post
    In Gamersgate is scheduled for next week 10th of May (I've preordered indeed).
    Haha you tell me, I didn't know.

HoI AnthologyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Devildread, is the 10th of May a realistic date for the release? Or are you just as much in the dark as us?
    “The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.”
    =Winston Churchill=

“Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.”
    =Martin Luther King Jr.=

“The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage.”
    =Thucydides=

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Haha you tell me, I didn't know.
    You'd rather hurry releasing the Reich Ministers Dev Diary

I'm very pleased to have this dlc available a little earlier than expected.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CELANO/...otterdammerung

@Oof I've preordered successfully (4.99 €), so I expect it's not Gamersgate cheating us... they've made even a cover, and I've been rewarded with 250 bonus blue-coins
    Last edited by ashandresash; 05-05-2011 at 21:18. Reason: Answering Oof
    Why do you sound surprised? I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America - Liz Lemon

What's the US dollar cost?

HoI AnthologyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by ashandresash View Post
    @Oof I've preordered successfully (4.99 €), so I expect it's not Gamersgate cheating us... they've made even a cover, and I've been rewarded with 250 bonus blue-coins
    Only 5 more nights
    “The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.”
    =Winston Churchill=

=Martin Luther King Jr.=

=Thucydides=

Devildread, since it looks like the 10th is the date will you move up the DD's? Did you plan for the next one to be the last or are there more?

And looking closely at the decisions are those hits to army organization real? I mean if I pick the subs does my land army organization suffer? Can I ever get that organization back say after UK is defeated or the sub war is won/lost?

BTW Gamersgate doesnt mention if it is compatible with Common Weapons. It does state it being compatible with SF and FTM. Is CW included in Götterdämmerung or is it not compatible?
    =Winston Churchill=

=Martin Luther King Jr.=

=Thucydides=

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast