• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize it's been a few weeks since I last posted and hopefully I will be able to get one up this upcoming weekend. I've been very swamped with work and other personal issues. This weekend is one of my brother's weddings so I'll have a little free time to work on the next chapter. Also I'm glad to see that you are enjoying the story so far Iain.

I realize it's been a few weeks since I last posted and hopefully I will be able to get one up this upcoming weekend. I've been very swamped with work and other personal issues. This weekend is one of my brother's weddings so I'll have a little free time to work on the next chapter. Also I'm glad to see that you are enjoying the story so far Iain.

Totally understand. I'm just glad that the AAR isn't dead. Looking forward to more when you get the chance.

Currently nobody. I have Derby and Lancaster. Richard de Normandie(King William's second son) has Chester(I believe it's chester) and Westmorland is held by the King.

Chapter 4: The de Warenne family grows

With an heir to take over his position should anything happen to him William de Warenne felt greatly relieved. No longer did he have to worry about the de Warenne line ending with his death. Since his brother had died a few years back with no heir of his own and those lands were given to the King instead of William.

Even though he had an heir Williams duties began to slacken as he was to busy spending time with his children. His normal trips to London began to lessen as well and so when word came that Maredudd Cynfyn the Duke of Gwynedd, Cadwgan Cynfyn the Duke's son and Cadwgan Meriadoc the Count of southern Wales released their bondage to King William and decided instead to serve Olaf Haraldsson Yngling, King of Norway, came to be a great surprise to him. This man's father had failed to claim any part of England through skill of arms but it appears that his son had succeeded where he had failed through intrigue.

Crusaders2011-06-0920-27-09-71.jpg

Maredudd Cynfyn, Duke of Gwynedd and leader of the separatists

Crusaders2011-05-0914-10-27-67.jpg

Cadwgan Cynfyn, son of Duke Maredudd and Count of Powys

Crusaders2011-05-0914-10-44-48.jpg

Cadwgan Meriadoc, Count of Glamorgan and Gwent, friend and follower of Duke Cynfyn

Crusaders2011-05-0914-11-01-43.jpg

Olaf Haraldsson Yngling, King of Norway and son of the late Harald Sigurdarson Yngling

Crusaders2011-05-0914-11-26-40.jpg

Harald Sigurdarson Yngling, Former King of Norway and one of the three attempted Kings of England

However, still William failed to make himself known in the King’s court for he was finally for once enjoying his life. It was towards the end of February in the year 1177 that Anna became pregnant again. With yet another child on the way William began to concentrating more on his lands. His people were all good with the bow but they still lacked any great skill in arms. In an attempt to make them a stronger fighting force he had a large number of shortswords forged. These blade which were nearly a foot shorter then his soldiers common weapon made them learn precision over force.

As the training continued on into the fall William decided that his son would be raised by Gerard of Kent the Bishop of Surrey. This came as a great shock to many people chief among them was William’s Spy Master Aethelric, he was under the assumption that Sigeric would be raised by him. Before this issue was resolved Anna gave birth to another young boy which they named Roger.

Crusaders2011-05-0914-24-18-80.jpg

Sigeric is sent to be raised by the monks

Crusaders2011-05-0914-24-28-45.jpg

Bishop Gerard of Kent takes special interest in the raising of the future Count of Surrey

Crusaders2011-05-0914-26-01-42.jpg

Roger de Warenne, second son of Count William of Surrey

With the winter over Aethelric came before the Count and requested that Roger when he gets older should be raised by him. He was after all the reason why the boy was alive. This angered the Count greatly and before he could have him executed for his ‘request’ the Spy Master fled to Robert de Conteville’s court in Cornwall. Shortly after this man left Anna began showing signs once more that she was pregnant. Happy with the how the state of things were going in Surrey, William decided to return to his lands in the north. There was still minor attacks by bandits in Derby but the land was overall peaceful thanks to the efforts of Marshall Thored who was in charge of his northern estates while he was in the south.

Crusaders2011-05-0914-28-24-19.jpg

Aethelric flees to the County of Cornwall fearing Count Williams wrath.

At the beginning of July Grateria de Fauconberg, his new Steward who took over following his late wife’s death, came before him with news that she had been successful in paying off the last of the revolters in Derby. This annoyed Count William a little but in the end he decided that this was probably best for his land overall. It would also allow Derby to bring in more money if they were not being attacked by his own people anymore.

Crusaders2011-05-0914-31-19-60.jpg

The land of Derby has returned to peace.

With peace now in the north William decided to return to his home in Surrey to be there when his wife gave birth to his next child. Upon his return to Surrey he was quickly summoned by King William who wished to thank him for all of his years of loyalty. Since the days of the Battle of Hastings it was William de Warenne who had always stood by him and he was the reason he held the throne today. This time of happiness was short lived though because a messenger had arrived from Marshall Thored in Lancaster. Marie de Warenne, daughter and eldest child of Count William had passed away when an influx of the Smallpox rose up.

Crusaders2011-05-0914-35-49-36.jpg

Eldest of William’s children dies at the age of four.

Greatly saddened by his daughters death Count William returned to his home in Surrey. Where William and Anna spent the winter mourning their daughters loss.

The new year though brought them another child, a son. This boy they decided to name Jordan after the youngest son of their King. Though the King’s son was only eight years old Count William believed that the boy had a chance to be a great person in the years to come. This also was another attempt to show his loyalty to his King by naming one of his children after his King’s child.

Crusaders2011-05-0914-37-54-86.jpg

Jordan de Warenne, third son of William de Warenne

Crusaders2011-05-0914-38-00-82.jpg

Jorden de Normandie, youngest son of King William de Normandie, and namesake of Jordan de Warenne

Last edited:
I'm sorry it took so long but with school, family, and surgery it's been hard to find time to do my posts. Hopefully my next post wont take as long as this last one did.

Very good update! Looking forward to more. :) Jordan de Warenne is starting to sound like he will do wonders for the family.

He just may. He just may. ;)

I got bored the other day and I played to my new ruler. If you want a teaser about this AAR just let me know and I'll send you a PM. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.