For the Motherland Developer Diary 6 - Neutrality & Government in Exile Updates

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to a new development diary! This weeks focus is on making Hearts of Iron 3 act a bit closer to historical events. One of the things that affects the war a lot is neutrality - for example controlling when US can enter the war is very important and the limiting factor is neutrality. The battle over neutrality is fought with spies which makes having all your spies on boosting or lowering neutrality very important. We didn’t like how key these spy actions were and how hard it was to balance when a country couldn’t enter the war, so we decided to change the way neutrality and threat is used.

We are changing neutrality to be a fixed value and represent how isolationist a country is. It is only ever changed through events and decisions. When deciding if an action like joining a faction is available this fixed neutrality will be compared to perceived outside threat. How you see a threat is now a bit more clever too and is modified by the following: distance in the world (as Sweden I'm going to feel less worried about a war in china than in Europe), the strength of factions and alignment (if I'm pretty closely aligned to Germany and about to join the axis the fact that they invade Poland isn’t really going to be very scary for me). So to affect when a country like US can join the allies you will now be using your spies to increase how threatening Germany appears to them instead, an action which is susceptible to counter espionage.

A bonus point of this is that it frees up some spies for doing other things, like affecting foreign party support which King touched on in his video diary about coups last week.

The other thing we have been working on is better modeling of Poland’s situation during WWII. As the soviet forces break the German occupation late in the war the soviets will install their own puppet government controlling Poland (ignoring the existing government in exile in Britain). This is a new general game mechanic so it will work for other situations and the requirements is that your faction controls their capital and 50% of the territory of a government in exile.

Here is two pictures, the first one showing Poland as Soviet is able to install their puppet government and the second showing a few polish underground resistance cells active earlier in the war.

View attachment 35388View attachment 35389

Next week we'll talk about historical elections and some new interface updates some of you have been asking for. Stay tuned!

Good news,
I'm looking forward to it! :)

If hope progress is going well and that you have also some time to look at the different other wishes here for FTM.

Kind regards,
Chromos

Well, maybe a better solution is to assign a number of spies for every mission you what to do. For Example, I have 10 spies in my country, 5 for counter, 3 for NU and 2 for ruling party. THAT would be awesome : )

I second, third and fourth this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate that my spies and my diplomacy are so single missioned.

Will there be a possibility to tell my domestic spies whom to hunt down while counterspying? Assume I'm the USA and want to join the Allies, can I tell my own spies to leave eg the British spies alone and go out for Axis spies only? If we can't change neutrality with domestic spies any more, will there be other domestic spy missions? Can I split up my domestic spies to have them do different things at the same time? If yes, does this also apply to spies abroad?

as a neutral country, no. if another country is tampering with your internal politics spies will try to stop this. if you dont want it dont use counter espionage. We are sticking with a single spy mission at a time for now

its a combination of capital and borders
Good news! Will this apply to the alignment 'drift' as well? Sometimes the "proximity of faction members" seems really odd, because it seems to be based only (or almost only) on capitals.

then you are the puppeted Poland, Comrade Romtos.
This is a bit of a shame; would it be feasible to mod so that USSR releases a new country, "Communist Poland", and the GiE remains active?

Has the support our party spy missions been fixed?
After 1.4d I had a hard time keeping my party in power. Counterespionage with ministers and all could not stem the tide and support own party was way to weak.
I am concerned about this, too. At the moment, resisting "Support Our Party" spamming by authoritarian regimes is far too hard for democracies. I made some suggestions earlier, but here's another, simpler one: have discovery of spies doing this mission open up a decision to "suppress the XXX party, using the recent foreign interference as a pretext". This decision would decrease the supported party's organisation (or popularity) in exchange for a little dissent (or reduction in ruling party popularity). Best might even be a choice - supported party organisation for ruling party popularity, or supported party popularity for dissent?

HHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm!! I wonder what that "THEATRES" button does or leads to???????????? me sooo excited!!!!

p.s. to those who bitch about the price or paying for a "patch" go play WOW or EQ2 for a year and compare the amounts to HOI! I have been playing this game and modding is my fav hobby for so long that I can't think of anything else that has given me so much fun at such a low low price, even paying for cable to watch TV is more money!! So really your whining doesn't hold water or gain sympathy one bit from me. P.I. is a company and needs to pay its employees (who make such wonderful stuff) and make some kind of profit, otherwise no more ...ooohh i can't imagine a world with out my favorite games....SO take it elsewhere!:wacko:

as a neutral country, no. if another country is tampering with your internal politics spies will try to stop this. if you dont want it dont use counter espionage. We are sticking with a single spy mission at a time for now

Thanks for the reply.

"for now" you say!!:D

HHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm!! I wonder what that "THEATRES" button does or leads to???????????? me sooo excited!!!!

p.s. to those who bitch about the price or paying for a "patch" go play WOW or EQ2 for a year and compare the amounts to HOI! I have been playing this game and modding is my fav hobby for so long that I can't think of anything else that has given me so much fun at such a low low price, even paying for cable to watch TV is more money!! So really your whining doesn't hold water or gain sympathy one bit from me. P.I. is a company and needs to pay its employees (who make such wonderful stuff) and make some kind of profit, otherwise no more ...ooohh i can't imagine a world with out my favorite games....SO take it elsewhere!:wacko:

I also would like to know for what that one is. :D
And it would be very nice to be able to mod in such things..
I gave it a short try and was able to get the button but wasn't able to add other existing stuff to it. :eek:o
[URL=http://img194.imageshack.us/i/newmainbutton.jpg/] [/URL]

Is it possible already or will it be possible with FTM? :)

Kind regards,
Chromos

"for now" you say!!:D

well I sort of like the idea actually, so not writing it off, but its not planned for FTM.

Is it possible already or will it be possible with FTM? :)

sadly no, the engine doesnt support that extensive modding unfortunatly. cant create new interfaces from lua scripts which would be required to do this.

Last edited:
It would be good if espionage was actually useful. I mean, who used "Support Partisans" or "Political Espionage"?

Also, I'm wondering if interface improvements mentioned in this DD include Espionage Tab, too, because ATM it's hard to get any useful info out of it (especially when it comes to military intelligence).

well I sort of like the idea actually, so not writing it off, but its not planned for FTM.

glad you guys keep an open mind to ideas!!!
but i can wait for this to be added in one of the next expansions say in the "Tora! Tora! Tora!" expansion. or even the the expansion "Overlord" (...hee hee hee) just keep the good stuff coming!!!

I agree with Danmark Rising. I feel like in HOI2 there was a very clear opportunity for minors to fool around and be semi-imperialistic and I kinda liked that. I had fun playing Czechoslovakia and expanding into hungary and the area after the Germans attacked me, or having a Mexican empire. I think the easiest way to allow that in HOI3 would be to make neutrality decrease much faster. using noneutrality feels dirty and unnecessary. I definitely think minors have potential to be fun as well and from this DD it looks like theyre on to something. :rolleyes:

They mentioned that events or decisions will be added which let you influence your own neutrality. It would make sense to make these mostly for authoritarian or totalitarian governments... something like

"Present trumped-up evidence of foreign meddling" --> decision for all authoritarian governments that raises threat of your least favorite neighbour

"Proclaim national destiny" --> decision for fascists and nazis which lowers neutrality, raises threat among your neighbour countries

"Call for a more revolutionary foreign policy outlook" --> decision for radical left wingers, leninists and stalinists which lowers neutrality and raises threat against non-commies

"Announce the impending doom of capitalism" --> decision for leninists and stalinists that lowers neutrality, raises threat against Allied countries

Also maybe events could be added that happen randomly, if you are running certain spy missions? Like, if you are using spies raising threat against one specific country, this could enable random propaganda events like "Denounce their malicious intentions", "Forge compromising documents" where you can choose whether to seize an opportunity to escalate tensions with this country. Depending on your ministers and the number of spies, the MTTH could be lowered. This would make it a bit more exciting and less predictable?

In general such events and decisions should mostly be for extremist and totalitarian forms of government. If you want to plunge your country into war, you should try hard to establish an extremist government first. Although democratic countries could get some decisions / events too, to intervene in wars or even start wars of their own should an extremist neighbour country of theirs start too much aggressive warmongering.

Maybe, for democratic governments you could make it highly dependant on your head of state / prime minister / foreign minister personality? Ideological crusader personalities should give you advantages there, regardless of your political orientation.

When will FTM be released?

I know, it's done when it's done, but perhaps a time frame like "this fall", "end of year" or "next year"

When will FTM be released?

I know, it's done when it's done, but perhaps a time frame like "this fall", "end of year" or "next year"

Back in Feb, release date was June 6th 2011, at least one German language site mentions this date.

I don't like the "historical elections" this give a too static game.

Instead it should move more in a HPP direction.

historical elections is about date, not results. This is not more static than currently with the 48 months starting the start of the campaign.

sadly no, the engine doesnt support that extensive modding unfortunatly. cant create new interfaces from lua scripts which would be required to do this.

Yes, too sad.
It is maybe the same reason as for the division build templates in the division builder?
(I asked some time ago If we could have more than 12 Div-Templates modded in..)

I don't want to add totally new stuff. Just shuffle some screens content around.
F.e. all the trading regarding stuff in one screen (Trade routes, Convoy and trading options. Just have all info in one screen. The old screens still could maybe remain unaffected) and for the other part give the player more div-templates to choose from.

Well, maybe some of that will still change/be modable in the future.

Kind regards,
Chromos

So, if neutrality and national unity can't be influenced via spies, how to change laws now (I mean, once I buy FTM :) )?