For the Motherland Developer Diary 6 - Neutrality & Government in Exile Updates

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Probably not. You have to have a low enough neutrality level compared to the threat level of Brazil.

If you can't, this game will be dead. It went from completely a-historical to being completely railroaded.
One of the few things that HOI3 currently has over HOI2, and all its derivatives, is the fact that it has a somewhat working diplomacy system. Pushing and pulling nations to different factions is great because it allows for very interesting strategic choices. Just look at the recent trend in the AAR forums of the "peaceful Germany" or "Russia first" strategies.

After a serious investment in home politics, diplomacy and propaganda, you should be able to declare war on anybody.

If you can't, this game will be dead. It went from completely a-historical to being completely railroaded.
One of the few things that HOI3 currently has over HOI2, and all its derivatives, is the fact that it has a somewhat working diplomacy system. Pushing and pulling nations to different factions is great because it allows for very interesting strategic choices. Just look at the recent trend in the AAR forums of the "peaceful Germany" or "Russia first" strategies.

After a serious investment in home politics, diplomacy and propaganda, you should be able to declare war on anybody.

you can always cheat.

In what way does not being able to make random DoWs being railroaded? :confused:

Anyway, only one half of the equation will be removed, you can still increase threat of others. The point is that you can't make your population want to go to war with everybody, you need to give them a target to hate. Also note that you can DoW someone if you have high threat against them. (Unless this will be changed, too, of course...)

you can always cheat.

That kind of spoils the game you know.

I to mainly play minor countries and like having the ability to declare war on other minor countries. I'd like to know if and how this will still be possible without modding the game. Like playing Greece and declaring war on Turkey or Denmark on Sweden. That's where I have the most fun. I'll be seriously disappointed if the only way I can play that way any more is through modding. I'd also be very surprised if PI truly means to limit the minors to that degree and a better explanation might help.

Let me modify my answer. In 1936 you most likely won't be able to DOW Brazil. But if you work the diplo stuff you probably will be able to at sometime in the future. You just have to spend the resources in spies to raise the threat level of Brazil to a point where you citizens think war is a good thing.

Let me modify my answer. In 1936 you most likely won't be able to DOW Brazil. But if you work the diplo stuff you probably will be able to at sometime in the future. You just have to spend the resources in spies to raise the threat level of Brazil to a point where you citizens think war is a good thing.

This is how it is, and this is how it should remain.
What Slan said about you only being able to raise the threat level of other countries, and not lowering your neutrality, is a fair point as well.

I'd also be very surprised if PI truly means to limit the minors to that degree...

Here's a list of minors starting wars in that time period:
  1. Peru-Ecuador. Lasted for three weeks, involved about 20000 soldiers and resulted in some territory changing hands, but both nations remained mostly intact.

To be honest, I see no reason why it should be possible for minors to start completely random wars with no actual reason in a World War II game, and if you have a reason (say they hold your cores), then it is much easier to start a war anyway.

How about Chinese Civil War? ComChi is a minor country ATM... ;)

Just because there were no/few wars between minors in the period doesn't mean that they couldn't happen (more often). Especially in case of dictatorships. I agree that they shouldn't be completely random, so "Increase threat" mission should be the key here, just as it is now.

I think dictatorships will have a much lower neutrality level so can get into war faster. And the way I see some of it my guess is a coup will lower the netrality level even further. So you have the chance to change some things if you really want to. But for the most part I doubt very many countries will have low enough neutrality to get into wars for 2, 3 or more years.

Here's a list of minors starting wars in that time period:
  1. Peru-Ecuador. Lasted for three weeks, involved about 20000 soldiers and resulted in some territory changing hands, but both nations remained mostly intact.

To be honest, I see no reason why it should be possible for minors to start completely random wars with no actual reason in a World War II game, and if you have a reason (say they hold your cores), then it is much easier to start a war anyway.

For the simple reason that a player controlled minor may simply have different motives... "Nukes for Nepal"; "Battleships for Bhutan".

I don't think it should be easy. Under the current system it takes Denmark about 2 - 3 years to lower it's neutrality and raise the threat of Sweden to DOW. That's a tad too long in my opinion but it's liveable. If the new system still allows that then I'll be happy. The same goes for say Greece vs Turkey. It takes about 2 years there and that's liveable.

Also, please remember, I'm only talking about player controlled minors. Not ones controlled by the AI.

yeah its basically an upgrade from GiE to puppet. the old GiE government isnt recognized anymore and you get a new government of the "right type" :) Historically when Soviet did this to Poland they later talked with the allies to make the whole thing more legit, but that was after and they wouldnt really be in a position to oppose the change.

Initially UK wanted to help their old ally back from exile. I heard Churchill went to Yalta with a piece of paper containing countries to negotiate about. On it he had written Poland, but he stoke a line through the word Poland. I think it was because he knew Stalin had already taken control over it and it was no use to demand any influence on it. I guess he wanted to get on with other stuff at the time.

Anyways this looks very nice from the diary and it might be a better game of HOI3 afte rall. Maybe it will be fun even without modding, after this expansion.

Last edited:
Will there be some sort of minor leadership boost / manpower / IC boost for joining a faction? Some countries really don't have much manpower in game compared to the size of their armed forces during WWII. I'd imagine larger nations of any faction would also help arm smaller nations with captured equipment so is there any chance of 'subsidising' minors with IC efficiency benefits?

TL:DR > Minors need leadership boost for joining factions. A sort of faction co-operation boost.

For the simple reason that a player controlled minor may simply have different motives... "Nukes for Nepal"; "Battleships for Bhutan".

I don't think it should be easy. Under the current system it takes Denmark about 2 - 3 years to lower it's neutrality and raise the threat of Sweden to DOW. That's a tad too long in my opinion but it's liveable. If the new system still allows that then I'll be happy. The same goes for say Greece vs Turkey. It takes about 2 years there and that's liveable.

Also, please remember, I'm only talking about player controlled minors. Not ones controlled by the AI.

The only thing I don't remember here is why do you want the rules to be changed in a way that they would make less sense from a realistic point of view instead of simply bending them? I mean you would still break the principle if not the rule...

The only thing I don't remember here is why do you want the rules to be changed in a way that they would make less sense from a realistic point of view instead of simply bending them? I mean you would still break the principle if not the rule...

I'm not asking for the rules to be changed. The game currently allows minors to declare war on other minors after expending effort to change threat and neutrality. It's not perfect, I'd like to see more diplomatic tools for player run countries, but the current status quot is at least livable. I'd at least like it to stay the way it is as opposed to making it even more difficult to play minors, which is what I fear is happening from the description that was given in the Dev Log. I'd like to get a better explanation as to what is happening to alleviate those fears.

I may have missed it, but can ANY country be subjected to a coup? And can coups occur at any time, provided the conditions are right?

An example:

Let's say the war breaks out, the USA has not joined the allies, and the British are doing poorly. The Axis can't invade the home islands because they failed to do what good German players of HOI3 do and plan ahead for an Operation Sealion from one. So, while the Germans, Italians, and Japanese are attacking Britain's allies and holdings across the world, the Axis powers start eroding ruling party support. Eventually, the government fractures, and Churchill faces a cabinet that simply won't behave itself. Can the Germans initiate something like Operation Willi and coup the government of the the British Empire in an attempt to end the war by installing a fascist puppet state in Britain? If possible, would it remove GB from the Allies? Or would it result in a fascist Britain continuing the war as a dictatorship, fascists against fascists, thus making the world safe for British fascism rather than liberty and democracy?

Alternate example:

Let's say the war is winding down, and the Soviets are damn close to achieving all of their war goals. They've occupied most of Germany ahead of Operation Overlord because the German Wermacht collapsed completely after Stalingrad. The Allies, including the Free French, the USA, and GB, decide that their only hope to prevent a completely communist continental Europe is to launch Operation Unthinkable, DOWing the Soviet Union and her newly formed puppets like Communist Poland (thanks to the mechanic outlined in today's diary). The Soviets can easily fight back on land, but their navy is sitting at the bottom of the Baltic, so forcing peace against the Allies will prove difficult, so long as the Allies can fly bombing missions from England in support of a new Operation Overlord directed against the Soviets. Short of developing nuclear weapons, the war looks like it might end in a stalemate. If the British have already sustained heavy casualties, and the country's unity is not where it should be, could the Soviets use spies to fracture the government, forcing a communist coup in Westminster?

Yet another example:

Let's say I am the USA. I decide that I want FDR to rule a fascist US and that I want to own Canada (by far the most ridiculous premise of any of my examples). Can I use my own spies in my own country to fracture my own government, inviting a coup from the Axis powers, making me a dictatorship, with all of the attendant consequences? And can I do this before 1940? And will I still be a puppet of the Axis powers in this case?

I'm not asking for the rules to be changed. The game currently allows minors to declare war on other minors after expending effort to change threat and neutrality. It's not perfect, I'd like to see more diplomatic tools for player run countries, but the current status quot is at least livable.

This exactly. My sense is that the few of us that have asked about minors in this thread are not dredging up the old sandbox vs. WWII simulator debate. We understand the design philosophy, and that HoI3 is not EU3 or Vic2. And we understand that the majors will continue to be the focus, but maintaining the playabilty of minors (in general) offers some breadth to the game. Now all of this is probably hand-wringing because I doubt the devs would curtail the limited role of minors through the new/modified spy system, but it does not hurt to ask the question.

I have for one, never playing minors, and certainly not fantasy ones like the South American ones, welcome a more historical DOW situation and I can tell you that the MP community will be glad to see a more delayed USA entry into the war. Of course Japan needs to be delayed in China longer to not make this totally unbalanced but its step in the right direction definately.

I have for one, never playing minors, and certainly not fantasy ones like the South American ones, welcome a more historical DOW situation and I can tell you that the MP community will be glad to see a more delayed USA entry into the war. Of course Japan needs to be delayed in China longer to not make this totally unbalanced but its step in the right direction definately.

If the minors were not meant to ever be played then the game shouldn't have allowed them to be selected and played in the first place.