For the Motherland Developer Diary 6 - Neutrality & Government in Exile Updates

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
you can play them but it is not intended that you try to conquer the world with them.

When did I ever state the intention to conquer the world with them? A couple of neighbors maybe; but minors shouldn't be limited to only doing what the majors want us to do. There is no fun in that. Part of the fun of playing a minor is testing what you can get away with. There is no reason why someone playing Romania shouldn't be allowed to come knocking on Hungary's door step, or Greece looking at Turkey with hungry eyes.

Besides, if I really wanted to conquer the world it would make far more sense to play as one of the majors.

Last edited:
When did I ever state the intention to conquer the world with them? A couple of neighbors maybe; but minors shouldn't be limited to only doing what the majors want us to do. There is no fun in that. Part of the fun of playing a minor is testing what you can get away with. There is no reason why someone playing Romania shouldn't be allowed to come knocking on Hungary's door step, or Greece looking at Turkey with hungry eyes.

even though i think it will still be possible i have to repeat that hoi3 is not meant to be played that way.
you can try holding off germany playing belgium or interfere in the war as hungary but once you leave the historical path too far (again, nobody will stop you doing it) you should not be surprised when the game falls apart.

i have to repeat that hoi3 is not meant to be played that way.

If that's really true then they would have never made minors playable, and frankly it means wasting most of the potential of the game and it's engine. Some of the best AAR's come out of attempts by people playing minors to shake things up.

If that's really true then they would have never made minors playable, and frankly it means wasting most of the potential of the game and it's engine. Some of the best AAR's come out of attempts by people playing minors to shake things up.

you can play minors. sorry, i don't understand your problem. again, nobody is stopping you playing them but you simply can't expect that you can do with them whatever you want without breaking the game. (but you can still try and you will ne able to in ftm). hoi3 is a WW2 game and not a "lets take hungary and conquer europe game".
if you want more freedom play something with a different setting like Vic2 or EU3.

in Vic2 you can play bremen or hamburg and guess what you can't conquer europe with them--- surprising isn't it?

you can play minors. sorry, i don't understand your problem. again, nobody is stopping you playing them but you simply can't expect that you can do with them whatever you want without breaking the game. (but you can still try and you will ne able to in ftm). hoi3 is a WW2 game and not a "lets take hungary and conquer europe game".
if you want more freedom play something with a different setting like Vic2 or EU3.

Your not understanding.

For one thing I do occasionally play Vic2 and EU3 but neither of them cover the time period that I'm really interested in. Only HOI3 does that. If Vic2 covered all the way up through say the 1950's then you'd probably never see me in the HOI forums ever again. Until then, your stuck with me. And yes, I completely expect the game to go a little funky if I go on an annexation rampage as Luxembourg. I don't have a problem with that. And frankly I rarely want to go on an annexation rampage, but I generally like taking out a neighbor or two before getting thrust into the rest of the war and I would like for that to remain an option.

In fact I'm working on an AAR right now where I'm playing as Denmark. I have three goals. 1) Annex Norway, Sweden, and Finland. 2) remain unaligned as long as possible. 3) Defend myself from Germany (or anyone else) that plans to attack me.

To try and clarify what I'm asking for right now, is that I want the current situation where, when I play a minor, I have the ability to declare war on other minors after I expend the resources to hit what ever threshold is set to do so, to continue with the new expansion. Sure, I'd love to have some tools to make the game a little more flexible for folks like me but I'm willing to live with what we have now if I have to but if the changes to the game make it more difficult to do that then I'm not going to be a satisfied customer, thus why I expressed my concern. And having you, comsubpac, state that it won't change doesn't alleviate my concern.

i bet the interface changes have to do with the new map mode buttons I see in the teaser pics.

I agree with Danmark Rising. I feel like in HOI2 there was a very clear opportunity for minors to fool around and be semi-imperialistic and I kinda liked that. I had fun playing Czechoslovakia and expanding into hungary and the area after the Germans attacked me, or having a Mexican empire. I think the easiest way to allow that in HOI3 would be to make neutrality decrease much faster. using noneutrality feels dirty and unnecessary. I definitely think minors have potential to be fun as well and from this DD it looks like theyre on to something. :rolleyes:

Whay happen wen wargoals achived?

as far as i understand it you can end the war then but not if you are in a faction and not the faction leader. at least that is how i interpret the system this far because i believe being able to leave a faction undefeated would not be a good idea.

I think you misunderstood my post. These are great features which could be brought to SF via patch.

but where would be the point of the expansion then? ftm will do exactly what you ask for: it will add the new features to semper fi.

Last edited:
but where would be the point of the expansion then? ftm will do exactly what you ask for: it will add the new features to semper fi.

Is there actually a point in the expansion? How many of the things they're talking about are really completely new, how many are mere fixes for things which aren't broken but still don't work in a way to be enjoyable?

Is there actually a point in the expansion? How many of the things they're talking about are really completely new, how many are mere fixes for things which aren't broken but still don't work in a way to be enjoyable?

pay them and they will make the expansion free for the rest of us! would you prefer "new" features screwing up the entire game?
and i see already several new features in the DDs so far... the base game is still the same so you can't expect a new game.
it is an expansion nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:
pay them and they will make the expansion free for the rest of us! would you prefer "new" features screwing up the entire game?
I'd prefer them to get the original game going before trying to sell yet another half-done game / expansion.
and i see already several new features in the DDs so far...
Which would be what exactly? Currently it boils down to battle scenarios, partisan building for GiEs, some sorts of decisions and possibly strategic resources. The first does not have inpact on the rest of the game and the latter two are there already to a degree. Whether or not the partisan changes will be worthwile remains to be seen.

From what we know currently, the expansion would not hold enough content for me to be worth buying, especailly not at the expected price of 20 €. Might change, but currently... no.

Last edited:
as far as i understand it you can end the war then but not if you are in a faction and not the faction leader. at least that is how i interpret the system this far because i believe being able to leave a faction undefeated would not be a good idea.
That is your interpritation and fait. Since users do not know for sure there is a point in asking about stuff people don`t know for sure, right?
;)

From what we know currently, the expansion would not hold enough content for me to be worth buying, especailly not at the expected price of 20 €. Might change, but currently... no.

Please don't start this again. If you don't want to buy FTM, don't, but don't post about it in every DD thread.

Please don't start this again. If you don't want to buy FTM, don't, but don't post about it in every DD thread.

I'm not even posting in every DD, so I hardly do complain. Besides, the particular topic was not raised by me.

I'd be much more interested in answers to the questions I asked earlier in this very thread. That would actually further the intended discussion at hand, I assume.