• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kiahoga

Major
81 Badges
May 22, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
I was Originally posting these in the thread about the possiblity of someone making a DH skiff set, and it was suggested that I break this off into its own Thread.

Credit to Krystoff, Scyth, and Bebro who excellent work is the basis for all skiffs. Also credit to Namonahan from the Cold War Extension project who had a couple skiffs as well mainly for the late models. If they're is anyopne im forgetting its not a slight but as I get older my memory gets worse.

This is Some of what ive made so far, and these pictures here are news skiffs ofmy making

NewSkiffs.jpg

moergoodies.jpg

Newday.jpg

hereyougo.jpg

NewStuff.jpg

And here are the Two sets Ive converted for DH full

As I get more made and converted i'll place them here. Im currently planning on doing France, England,Russia, Austria-Hungry, Italy, Japan,Ottoman Empire, and a Generic Set.

Attachments

• Germany.7z
    1,5 MB · Views: 528
  • DH Skiff Set USA.7z
    1,5 MB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Here some of what made it into the Germany Converted set

GermanStuff.jpg

I can try brightening them up but it can be hard for example on some of the ships your dealing with 105 year old post cards as the base picture, and over time as I get better ill make changes

I did not like 1914 german HQ icon, nor 1916 german militia. I think its not appropriate to represent those units.

Now i can see why some might have a problem with the 1916 Militia, never mind it was the only colorized picture i could find of the Bavarian Army. But why pray tell is a Picture of Paul Von Hindenburg and Eric Luhtendorff hunched over a map not approriate. I mean they were essentailly THE GERMAN HIGH command for half the war. The HQ models go 1870/1914/1928 What would you say about the 1870 German HQ which has Otto Von Bismarck in it. As far as I know a picture of Adolf Hitler as corprol is not Illegal otherwise you wouldnt see his picture as German head of state in Vanilla Hoi2. But for those who feel weird about when i make some more skiffs ill put an optional you can use instead.

Now i can see why some might have a problem with the 1916 Militia, never mind it was the only colorized picture i could find of the Bavarian Army. But why pray tell is a Picture of Paul Von Hindenburg and Eric Luhtendorff hunched over a map not approriate. I mean they were essentailly THE GERMAN HIGH command for half the war. The HQ models go 1870/1914/1928 What would you say about the 1870 German HQ which has Otto Von Bismarck in it. As far as I know a picture of Adolf Hitler as corprol is not Illegal otherwise you wouldnt see his picture as German head of state in Vanilla Hoi2. But for those who feel weird about when i make some more skiffs ill put an optional you can use instead.

I know the roles of Hindenburg and Lunderdorff in WWI, but if I have 2 or 3 HQ's, those 3 will be represented by the same Hindenburg and Lunderdorff image, but, of course, Hindenburg and Lunderdorff were only one. My point is that unit icons can't be made with known people images, only with generic ones because of this unique person rule.

About the militia icon, you said part of it: it contains army people, includind a corporal, this mean trained army people, not untrained militia people.
For me, militia are untrained population people, poorly armed and stuff.

I don't have issues with Hitler or whathever.

I know the roles of Hindenburg and Lunderdorff in WWI, but if I have 2 or 3 HQ's, those 3 will be represented by the same Hindenburg and Lunderdorff image, but, of course, Hindenburg and Lunderdorff were only one. My point is that unit icons can't be made with known people images, only with generic ones because of this unique person rule.

About the militia icon, you said part of it: it contains army people, includind a corporal, this mean trained army people, not untrained militia people.
For me, militia are untrained population people, poorly armed and stuff.

I don't have issues with Hitler or whathever.

Actually The Volksturm, Germanies late WW2 Militia, who's only official part of there uniform was their arm band and their rank insignia becasue they did have an orginational structure. Also pictures of them and there are alot run the whole gambit from a unit entirely in Cvilian clothes to a unit entirely in military uniform. Now when i started this i firstly didnt want to use black and white pictures which vastly contracted what is available. So for the 1914 HQ icon in all the pictures i looked at I had two, one of which didnt work when shrunk down to 67x44 pixels, and the other is the one, which i used. So if I dont use Von Hindenburg-luhtendorff picture I must buiild one from scratch which im still learning to do. Admittedly my best work is in the aircaft and Ship icons, and this is only version 1.0 as i get better you'll see me do more and differently. Sadly as far as I know Krystoff and company are not making skiffs anymore, but they made a rich amount of them that we still use. The caveat is they dont really work for anything pre 1920s or after 1950 so we have to come up with something.

Actually The Volksturm, Germanies late WW2 Militia, who's only official part of there uniform was their arm band and their rank insignia becasue they did have an orginational structure. Also pictures of them and there are alot run the whole gambit from a unit entirely in Cvilian clothes to a unit entirely in military uniform. Now when i started this i firstly didnt want to use black and white pictures which vastly contracted what is available. So for the 1914 HQ icon in all the pictures i looked at I had two, one of which didnt work when shrunk down to 67x44 pixels, and the other is the one, which i used. So if I dont use Von Hindenburg-luhtendorff picture I must buiild one from scratch which im still learning to do. Admittedly my best work is in the aircaft and Ship icons, and this is only version 1.0 as i get better you'll see me do more and differently. Sadly as far as I know Krystoff and company are not making skiffs anymore, but they made a rich amount of them that we still use. The caveat is they dont really work for anything pre 1920s or after 1950 so we have to come up with something.

I'm just giving my opinion.
Ok, I understand the HQ issue because you're learning.

And I understand your view about the german militia icon, but you can't compare WWI and WWII militias. I know the Volkssturm, and I know that they had ranks, but look at this picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B...arsch_des_Volkssturms_an_Goebbels,_Berlin.jpg
Ie: they had normal ranks, and uniforms, but most Volkssturm soldiers didn't actually used the uniform given the limitations that war brought to Germany at that time.

I don't know about germand militia at WWI, but I don't think they were organized like that in WWII, I don't even know if militia was used by the germans. Further, I dont think that Hitler an the other guys in that picture were militians, as they were part of the Austro-Hungarian Army for sure.

Anyway, keep the good work.

I'm just giving my opinion.
Ok, I understand the HQ issue because you're learning.

And I understand your view about the german militia icon, but you can't compare WWI and WWII militias. I know the Volkssturm, and I know that they had ranks, but look at this picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B...arsch_des_Volkssturms_an_Goebbels,_Berlin.jpg
Ie: they had normal ranks, and uniforms, but most Volkssturm soldiers didn't actually used the uniform given the limitations that war brought to Germany at that time.

I don't know about germand militia at WWI, but I don't think they were organized like that in WWII, I don't even know if militia was used by the germans. Further, I dont think that Hitler an the other guys in that picture were militians, as they were part of the Austro-Hungarian Army for sure.

Anyway, keep the good work.

I looked it up and Germany didnt have a Militia from the time of Frederick the Great who disbanded the freikorps, till the Freikorps reemergted as the Nationalist paramilitary organizations in Germany in the 1920s. And Miltia has several very different meanings for most Nations who used them extensively there were two types the Semi-professional week end warrior like thoose who made up the Core of the Initial Confederate Army. The other type was for example were going on campaign and need 1000 extra people who wants to come.

I'm kinda underwhelmed. The pictures are a bit blurry.

Sadly Alot of that is the source material especially the ones that are real photographs that have been colorized, period postcards, and in case of some of the british ships period watercolors.
No matter how good your software is there is only so much you can do working with a 90 year old photograph.

Sadly Alot of that is the source material especially the ones that are real photographs that have been colorized, period postcards, and in case of some of the british ships period watercolors.
No matter how good your software is there is only so much you can do working with a 90 year old photograph.

Most of them are quite good, the only ones that really need work imo are the ones like 1918 US infantry. It is very difficult to tell what is going on there. I have no problems at all with any of the ships or planes there though. On the whole very good. Keep it up! :)

Looks very good. I miss the fading effect at the right though.

well see about it comming back as i get better. But sorry about there being no updates in a bit my butt had been getting kicked at work. Which is great for the pocket book but lousy for my free time.