• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Manuel I Komnen

Sergeant
10 Badges
Oct 29, 2010
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
This mod aims to portray Greece better in the 1914 campaign.
Due to lack of other Balkan nations Improvement projects, Bulgaria, Serbia and Montenegro will probably be also enhanced through this mod.

What we'll do:

1)Provide accurate images for Greece's naval and land units.

2)Enhance events concerning Greece and add more. This means that Bulgaria's, Serbia's and the Ottoman Empire's events which are closely related with those of Greece will be enhanced as well and more will be added.

3)Correct names, maybe add some provinces and generally look up the economic situation of Greece. IC will be added or removed accordingly.

Here you can see the images changed:

Pisa Class Heavy Cruiser. Italian made, this was the most technologically advanced unit of the RHN. Thanks to this ship, Greece enjoyed complete naval dominance over the Ottoman Navy during the 1st Balkan War. Its name is taken from a rich and respected Greek from Alexandria who payed most of the ship's cost and gifted it to the Hellenic Navy. Respect to the man.
illdivgre232.png

Mississippi Class Pre-Dreadnought. Ships of the class include: Limnos and Kilkis. Bought from the USA in 1914.
illdivgre211.png

Hydra Class Coastal Battleship. Ships of the class include: Hydra, Psara and Spetsai. Ordered from France in 1885.
illdivgre210.png

Helle class Light Cruiser. Originally built for the Chinese Navy, it was never delivered and therefore was bought by Greece.
illdivgre222.png

Wild Beast Class Destroyers. Ships of the class include: Panthir, Aetos, Ierax and Leon. Ordered from Britain in 1911, they were some of the most advanced ships of the RHN.
illdivgre252.png

1914 Infantry Division. Basically armed with Mannlicher-Shonauer rifles in addition to many captured Ottoman Mauser ones.
Though in the tactical level, the Greek army is not known for its maneuverability and encirclements but rather for its costly frontal assaults, the Greek infantry is determined and well trained, with supervision of French officers. The Greek infantry divisions were amongst the first in the world to be reorganized in the triangular scheme (3 regiments/division) before even the German ones did so.
illdivgre03.png

1907-1914 Cavalry Division A rare image of the Greek cavalry during the era of the Balkan Wars. Greek cavalry was not widely used, therefore it's somewhat different to find images of it.
illdivgre13.png

1911 Artillery It's the Schneider-Creusot 75mm Model. Bought from France in 1906-1907, they are good quality and rather modern considering that they continued to be used by the Greek army in the WW2.
illbrigre10.png

How to install it:
Download the rar from the bottom of the post. Unrar it with Winrar. You will see 3 files.
greece.inc contains the scenario changes and should be pasted in C:program Files\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\scenarios\1914 and rewrite the old file.

The "models" folder should be pasted in C:\Program Files\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\gfx\interface and be merged with the already existing models folder.

The "models" excel file should be pasted in C:\Program Files\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\config and rewrite the old file.

Changelog:
Scenario changes:
Greece's name changed to Kingdom of Greece

New images added for:
1914 Infantry Division
1907 Cavalry Division
1914 Cavalry Division
Hydra class Turret Battleships
Mississippi class Predreadnought
Pisa/Averoff class Heavy Cruiser
Helle class Light Cruiser
Wild Beast class Destroyers

Unit changes:
Hydra, Spetsai and Psara ships changed to Turret Battleships/Hydra class instead of heavy cruisers
A new class of predreadnought, (Mississippi class) added, including 2 ships, Kilkis and Limnos
A new class of early heavy cruisers, (Pisa class) already added for Italy but also added for Greece
A new class of turbine destroyers, (Wild Beast class) added, including 4 ships, Ierax, Leon, Panthir and Aetos
A new class of fleet destroyers (Thyella class) added, including 4 ships, Thyella, Sfendoni, Nafkratousa and Lonchi

Attachments

• Kingdom of Greece IP New Unit Images.rar
    260,2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Definitely. Every help is welcomed.
I'm primarily looking for good quality images for the Serbian army.

I'm kinda confused though. Should I grant Greece the techs to be able to build any of these ships? Almost all ships were built or refitted in English, French or German naval yards. :S

Greece didn't not buy any major ship units after 1914 so the only problem is what will happen if a player loses some ships and wants to build new ones in their place.

Last edited:
Well, did the Greeks rebuild any of them after they were destroyed IRL? Or did they simply order more from the respective countries, cause you could probably make an event where if they have fewer than X of any ship type, they can buy another one from France, Britain, the US, etc.

During WW1 the losses of the Hellenic Navy were minimal. During Interwar many of them were refitted in foreign naval yards.
Most of the ships retired normally or were destroyed in the WW2 by German bombings. Greece received British ships as military help during WW2 and Italian ships as compensation after its end. Afterwards, the Greek fleet was armed with mostly American ships.

A not much known fact is that Greece had ordered two dreadnoughts from France and Britain but she didn't receive them due to WW1 which stopped their production. The Ottomans had also ordered 1 or 2 dreadnoughts from Great Britain which were finished but were confiscated by the British Navy.

An important event I consider to add was the confiscation of almost the whole Hellenic Navy by France during WW1 because of Greece decline to enter the WW1. The ships were returned to Greece after she finally entered the war on the side of the Entente.

Another important event was the capture of a whole Greek Army Corps in Thrace by Germany and Bulgaria without war having been declared.

Having played as Greece in the WWI scenario a couple times, one thing that would be nice to see changed is the Treaty of Sevres events. In reality Greece was essentially at the mercy of the Triple Entente to grant them terms from the Ottomans, but prosecuting a successful war in Asia minor is a possibility that would have allowed for more aggressive demands, and likely have sparked an even more aggressive response from the young Turkish Republic.

Agreed on the Sévres treaty. I occupied Istanbul as Greece and that automatically gave Lebanon and Syria to France despite them not being in the war.

Don't you mean France and Germany?

Sounds like a good idea, there's nothing wrong with a historically correct Balkans :D

Yeah, my bad, thanks for the correction!;)

Having played as Greece in the WWI scenario a couple times, one thing that would be nice to see changed is the Treaty of Sevres events. In reality Greece was essentially at the mercy of the Triple Entente to grant them terms from the Ottomans, but prosecuting a successful war in Asia minor is a possibility that would have allowed for more aggressive demands, and likely have sparked an even more aggressive response from the young Turkish Republic.
Agreed on the Sévres treaty. I occupied Istanbul as Greece and that automatically gave Lebanon and Syria to France despite them not being in the war.

The Treaty of Sevres and the Greco-Turkish war is something that should definitely be revised. Basically, there should be events about the political situation in the Ottoman Empire after the WW1 which made things chaotic. If the Young Turks manage to stay in power then there will not be a Greco-Turkish War but if Kemal rises to power, it will happen, as it did in reality, due to his rejection to accept the Treaty of Sevres.

However, for the war to be portrayed properly, I believe that the map of Asia Minor should be reworked and that more provinces should be added. I'm aware some mods are creating more provinces for the map but I don't know what they are doing especially for the Turkey/Greece area. With so few provinces in Western Asia Minor the campaign wouldn't be of much fun. As for me, well I'm not a "modder", I'm just a guy that wants to make Greece more playable. I heard that editing the map is kinda hard.

The first version is out. It contains mostly images for the 1914 scenario and some scenario changes that will be shortly listed.
Feel free to offer better images or ideas.

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread. I've been lobying too for proper Greece army OOB, naval OOB, cabinet ministries, tech etc. Sadly i lack any moding abilities to implement them myself, so i just sent e-mails to the people in charge. Gladly the army OOB has been implemented(with just a tiny error-a misplaced artillery brigade), and the forts too(removed from Ioannina and metsovo, added to Kavala and thessalonique). Most of the naval OOB has been implemented too although taffy said he has made yet more changes. No news about the cabinet ministries or techs though. Ideally if one(thinking of you) could make all the necessary changes in the files and simply present it to them it would be best.

A Corps(Athens) Lt.General Kallaris Konstantinos
B Corps(Patras) Lt.General Manousogiannakis Emanouel
C Corps(Thessalonika) Lt.General Moschopoulos Konstantinos
D Corps(Kavala) Lt.General.Gennadis Stefanos
E Corps(Ioannina) Lt.General Sotilis Napoleon.
Frourion Thessalonikis(Thessalonika) Colonel(Do you have this rank in DH btw?)
Messalas Evlampios
Frourion Kavalas (Kavala) Colonel Karakalos Polichronis. There is currently a militia unit named "Ioannina Frourio" at Ioannina of course. Deguillame told me he placed the unit there because of the mention of Fortress artillery units in the OOB i sent him. He is right, but there was no such formation command in the Greek army. There was a Frourion Kavalas unit though and i suggest it should be relocated and named accordingly.

Vassilikos Ellinikos Stratos(Athens) Maj.General Dousmanis Viktor. The formation should be called "Stratigeion" and the HQ unit should be properly renamed to "Epiteliki Ipiresia Stratou". Or both as "Epiteliki Ipiresia Stratou".

Pics
1. Kallaris Konstantinos, he is the dude on the front cover of that book.
http://www.plus4u.gr/showitem.php?I...C7%20%C5%D0%CF%D7%C7%20%D4%CF%D5%20(1858-1940)

2. Manousogiannakis Emanouel
http://www.e-sfakia.gr/index.php?op...id=264:2010-04-18-15-45-37&catid=48&Itemid=86

3. Moschopoulos Konstantinos
http://leonidas33x.blogspot.com/2010/03/1350-1916.html

4.Gennadis Stefanos, no pic

5.Sotilis Napoleon, no pic

6.Messalas Evlampios, no pic

7.Karakalos Polichronis, no pic

8.Dousmanis Viktor
http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/Αρχείο:Viktor_Dousmanis.jpg
and
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WRnjT3uFlIg/So__bg_cojI/AAAAAAAAAno/8DyjqLaG1To/s1600-h/βίκτωρ+δούσμανης.jpg

Btw you have some wrong pics for current Greek commanders, many wrong Greek commanders and some double ones. Where is this info stored so i can correct it?

And btw any new Greek formations should not be named "Eliniki lochos"-which means "Greek(female) company(male)", but rather "(numeral) Merarchia" meaning (numeral) Division.

P.S i don't want to look overwhelming, i know i have sent the same info to other member of the DH as well, but i fear it has been overlooked.

Last edited:
is this mod dead? if it is is there any other mod where i can find a more playable greece?