• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
France is a monster for the German team, but with Japan now able to take action outside of the island they might find a worthy foe on the continent. I'm still rooting for Germany though!
Remember that until 1770, Japan and Germany cannot have wars against each other or each other's allies.

Go BAVARIA! Awesome AAR.
Thanks.

Great work, this is a fun read. I hope Bavaria can hold on to it all and form Germany soon.
Me too. Taira is very close to forming Japan and of course the Germans cannot lag behind too much!

Well you are succeding very nicely so far :)
Thank you Tallfellow :)

Awesome!
Loving that AAR, keep up with that!

Now now, i hope Germany unifies soon to kick some froggies :p
Thanks, I will do my best.

Now for a small announcement.

I have patched the game with patch 5.1 in 1500. So from the next update on I will play with version 5.1.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 6, first half: first step outside

Jim: Turn six is on the menu, dear viewers, and it looks very tasty. Don't you agree, fellow connoisseur Bob?

Bob: Ehh, how can a game of Double Domination taste like anything?

Jim: Right, right, just trying to liven things up...

Bob: I mean, if you think about it, a game is an abstract concept, rather a process than an tangible object...

Jim: Moving on, let's take a look at how the Japanese team is doing:

1500-01mapofeastasia.png

Bob: Manchu is doing well, as do Brunei and Malacca.

Jim: But according to this rapport, the whole Taira navy has disappeared!

Bob: A setback, certainly. However, as Koretada orders a couple of barges to be build, it won't be too long before Taira has a navy again. Besides that, Koretada has become more involved with the military, leading armies himself. He also institutes the Militia Act, increasing the power of the central government and making the army more numerous.

Jim: Looks like our contestants have Koretada firmly in their grip.

Bob: Indeed. Also, our contestants seem a bit bored, as they initiate Japan's first foreign adventure. Through a military access pact with Ming, Koretada and a dozen regiments invade Dai Viet in 1501. After a battle or two, Dai Viet is vassalized.

Jim: Good move. What's more, the team's economic manipulators have pushed a koku reform.

1501-07kokureform.png

Bob: Very good. Inflation has now been reduced to 6.7%, quite low.

Jim: It's a busy year, at the end of the year the Japanese temple infiltrators have made the priesthood more open to Innovation and new ideas. Let's take a look at the report of our political advisers on Taira's domestic policies:

1501-12sliders.png

Bob: A bit more Innovative thinking is required to modernize Taira. Besides that, it all looks good.

Jim: Aaaand it's already outdated. In 1502, the Tairan military decide to make the army's doctrine more Defensive.

Bob: Interesting, they're moving away from a very aggressive style of warfare.

Jim: Hey, something is happening.

Bob: You're right. Fujiwara is annexed in 1503!

Jim: Wow, how could we have missed the dozen or so diplomatic missions that have preceded it?

Bob: Never mind that, this means that only one Daimyo stands in the way of the Taira clan seizing the Chrysanthemum Throne! Infamy is now rated at 19.3, quite high but not problematic so.

Jim: well, that was exciting.

Bob: ...

Jim: ...

Jim: Not a lot is happening, is there?

Bob: Well, some markets and constables are being build, but yeah, not a lot of action.

Jim: Looks like Koretada agrees, as out of sheer boredom he does a silly dance, embarrassing the court for the second time in his reign. Stability suffers.

Bob: The next month, December 1508, he angrily tells a popular travelling monk to buzz off, which also creates quite a backlash in Taira.

Jim: Which ends the first half. Well Bob, we've seen more action-packed halves, don't we?

Bob: Certainly, but to be fair, it's not a bad idea for Taira to wait and let its Infamy fade away.

Jim: True, but for our viewers' sake, I hope the next half sees a bit more excitement. See you all after this break!

1510-01mapoffareast.png

Last edited:
Omg those timurids :O

Last edited:
A necessary resting point before the next rush of action. Interesting that with the vassalization Dai Viet changes to Japan, while on the islands the name remains as Taira.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 6, second half: Protestants and a Pole.

Jim: Good to see you all back. We're now watching the German team entering the Chronodyne X-35, heading for the year 1510. As long-time watchers undoubtedly know, this is the tumultuous time of Reformation.

Bob: I have the political satellite map on display.

1510-01mapofeurope.png

Bob: Mmm, France has been busy. English continental territory has been captured, as is English gains in North Italy. The Ottoman Empire has disintegrated, probably because of their wars with the English.

Jim: If only the English had had so much success against the French...

Bob: Austria once again has lost most of its territory. No changes to Bavaria, though.

Jim: I see that Albrecht III is still alive, so no inheriting Mecklenburg or Brandenburg. Mmmh, inflation has risen to 13%, not good, definitely not good.

Bob: Cheer up, as Dresden has become a core province of Bavaria, only three Bavarian provinces are considered illegal by the German princes, so diplomatically Bavaria is doing much better.

Jim: I guess you are right. Hey, according to our military expert's rapports, Bavaria has adopted National Conscription. Odd, as if there is one thing Bavaria doesn't lack is manpower.

Bob: I think our contestants agree, as their political infiltrators retract the conscription law. In the meantime, their undercover priests convince the population that in these times of schisms and heretics, Bavaria should remain united with the One Church: “Unam Sanctum” is on everyone's lips.

Jim: Is the Reformation that well-spread?

Bob: Take a look:

1510-01religionsineurope.png

Jim: Well, there are not that many Protestants.

Bob: Still, seems that our contestants want to keep Bavaria Catholic nonetheless.

Jim: Interesting. Another apparent goal of the German team is to improve the Bavarian economy.

Bob: Why do you think so, Jim?

Jim: Well, they have hired a Master of a Mint, undoubtedly to reduce the high inflation. Also, Bavaria has joined the Hanseatic League.

Bob: But the Hansa is a political enemy of Bavaria.

Jim: Bavaria needs the trade money. Its yearly income is low compared to other large nations, its tech is lagging and none of its income comes from trade. As Bavaria's infamy prevents it from competing abroad (and there is no domestic trade centre).

Bob: Still, it seems Bavaria equally focusses on diplomacy. Here, the diplomat Chlingensperg has done some Excellent Diplomacy, decreasing infamy by three.

Jim: A good first year. In 1511 the political branch of the German team once again encourages the Bavarian merchants to adopt a more Free Trade.

Bob: This just in! Spain has formed!

1511-06spainhasformed.png

Jim: Yet another strong rival to Bavaria.

Bob: Spain is not a rival to Bavaria.

Jim: What do you mean?

Bob: According to the latest poll administered to the German team, they see Sweden, Portugal, England and Bohemia as natural rivals.

Jim: Portugal? Why...? Okay, according to the poll, what countries are a threat to Bavaria?

Bob: France, Timurids and Switzerland.

1511-09threathening.png

Jim: Switzerland?! In the last war Switzerland was taken care off by Ulm! How can they feel threatened by Switzerland? And I find it a bit premature to feel frightened of a country, however big it is, that is half a continent away.

Bob: Well, it's their opinion.

Jim: Those crazy Germans. Well, in more sane news, Bavaria has formalized its scales, weights and measures in 1512. This will greatly help production, trade, taxation and will even make the population more content.

Bob: Didn't know that standards made people so happy.

Jim: Sush. I see that another big political change is taking place: England has embraced the Reformation!

Bob: Looks like the Reformation is taking roots. In response, Bavaria enacts the Conventicle Act, decreasing Bavarian tolerance towards heretics.

Jim: They even go further. In 1515 the Pope starts the Counter-Reformation, which Bavaria immediately adopts.

1515-12counter-ref.png

Bob: Doesn't look like Bavaria goes for the tolerant route.

Jim: Indeed, Bob.

Bob: Uh oh.

Jim: What? What?

Bob: Wilhelm has died in a hunting accident.

Jim: Oh dear, Albrecht's heir! And at his age it will be difficult to get another. Still, some good news, too, as Chlingensperg excellent diplomacy once again greatly improves Bavarian reputation.

1517-07greatdiplomat.png

Bob: Uh oh.

Jim: Oh no, what now?

Bob: Chlingensperg's party wasn't a good idea for Albrecht. He died during the festivities.

Jim: What a disaster! The last of the Von Wittelsbachs has died!

Bob: The Bavarian dukes have invited a cousin of the Polish king to take the throne.

1517-11anewdynasty.png

Jim: Why would they do that?

Bob: I don't know, perhaps to secure Polish support for inheriting Brandenburg? We will never now.

Jim: Anyway, the hiring of a Grand Marshall is the first official act of Leopold Ferdinand I, which he desperately needs, as his claim on the throne is still unsupported by many people: only 22% of the nobility supports him currently.

Bob: That's quick: he already has an heir, Maximilian Joseph, in 1519. Well, as the German half of the turn comes to an end...

Jim: Wait. A call to arms from Aquilleia. Venice and Austria are trying to conquer Aquilleia! And our new Emperor answers the call!

Bob: A big contrast with the Wittelsbach approach of ignoring call to arms from Imperial princes.

Jim: Yes. Well, Bavaria is now at war with Venice and Austria.

1519-073rdvenetianconquest.png

Bob: Looks like a cakewalk.

Jim: Indeed. In November, after five months of fighting, Austria signs a harsh peace: it has to give up all its claims on foreign territory.

1519-11austriarevokescores.png

Bob: A well-thought peace, as this will prevent Austria from regaining its former territory easily.

Jim: Once again, the German team plays it sharp: on 28 December 1519, only days before they have to leave, they sign a peace with Venice, forcing them to give up their foreign cores as well, two Italian and three Greek.

Bob: An eventful turn, Jim.

Jim: Certainly, Bob. We even didn't have time enough to keep up to date to all the religious changes in Europe. A lot of Imperial Princes have abandoned the Catholic faith, Norway and England have become Reformed and in France a lot of provinces have converted.

1520-01religionineurope.png

Jim: Sadly, our time is up, so I bid you all adieu!

Last edited:
Nice to see some "peaceful" expansion, and building up nations for a change :) I thought that you were being very aggresive :)

But keep on trucking... As they say...

Omg those timurids :O
They are indeed uncharacteristically large. It's funny how it looms over both the European and Far Eastern maps!

A necessary resting point before the next rush of action. Interesting that with the vassalization Dai Viet changes to Japan, while on the islands the name remains as Taira.
When I vassalized Dai Viet, it became a vassal of Japan instead of Taira, that's why it says Japan. It's not my vassal. Yeah, I don't understand it either, it's another quirk of the Daimyo system.

Nice to see some "peaceful" expansion, and building up nations for a change :) I thought that you were being very aggresive :)

But keep on trucking... As they say...
True, I have been very agressive as I want quick unifications. Although in hindsight, I think a slower Japanese unification would probably be better. For Bavaria, though, I still think the sooner it can form Germany the better.

I do pay the price, though, as both nations are begining to lag in tech relative to their neighbours. High infamy means no foreign trade means bad economy.

Last edited:
Yeah high infamy is generally a killer for the economy. But an early formation of Germany should bring you back on the right track.

With a very high production score you should be able to catch up to the rest of Europe within a few years.

Well my hopes of England keeping France at bay didn't pay out. Maybe, if you're lucky, France and Spain will get into an epic battle that leads to the collapse of them both. :)

France will walk all over Spain. I've seen it happen time and again. They have easily twice the manpower.

Nice, at least the new bavarian king is good...i'm rooting for Bavaria!
LoL to Japan in Dai Viet...
It's a bit strange to me that I now have a Polish king. Was there ever a Polish king ruling a German nation in real life?

Yeah high infamy is generally a killer for the economy. But an early formation of Germany should bring you back on the right track.

With a very high production score you should be able to catch up to the rest of Europe within a few years.
Remember, though, that Bavaria is fully Decentralized: compared to fully Centralized, that means a -30% production modifier and a -40% tax modifier. Germany's tax and production will always be relatively low.

Well my hopes of England keeping France at bay didn't pay out. Maybe, if you're lucky, France and Spain will get into an epic battle that leads to the collapse of them both. :)

France will walk all over Spain. I've seen it happen time and again. They have easily twice the manpower.

With France having a much bigger army than Spain or England and having Military Drill, I have little hope that those two can contain France in any significant way.

That's true... But if you get the right NI's, you should be able to earn enough to keep up tech wise atleast... Also Free people and Innovation might be good idea as well :)