• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An excellent AAR overall! I really like the concept and you definitely make it work really well. :D

I loved your Ming AAR, and I love this one even more, I think! The Ming AAR was extremely educational, but this one is pure fun. I've always liked country-switching AARs, and this one has a nice twist. And the sports commentators are pure comedy gold! :)

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 3: Emperor and near Emperor

Jim: Welcome back, dear viewers, to the third round of Double Domination: Germany versus Japan. My fellow commentator, Bob, is here as well. Good evening, Bob.

Bob: Good evening, Jim.

Jim: So how was your vacation?

Bob: Great. I spent most of it blitzballing and sunbathing.

Jim: I can see that, Bob, you've tanned quite nicely. I too had a wonderful time, spending time on my hobby, pruning my bonsai coral reefs. But enough about our vacations, let's get back to Double Domination!

Bob: Right! Well, the Japanese team has been send to the year 1440. The Taira government has adapted the military doctrine of Glorious Arms during their absence. Perhaps this change in military doctrine was triggered by the recent war with Minamoto and Fujiwara. A brutal war apparently, as Taira's mission is to recover from the war by reducing the war exhaustion to at most one.

Jim: As measured by the Lafoire scale, as I might add.

Bob: Yes, of course, you're right. Well, it seems the Japanese team isn't happy with Glorious Arms and start lobbying. Their political puppets argue to the Daimyo that true glory comes from the arts, not from weapons. The Daimyo complies and he becomes an avid Patron of the Arts instead.

Jim: In contrast to the previous rounds, the Japanese teams takes it easy at the start. Only in 1442 they start acting.

Bob: Indeed. War exhaustion has now dropped enough for the Referee to call the assigned mission successful. The new mission: conquest of Fujiwara-controlled Mutsu!

1442-09missionsmissions.png

Jim: Seems the Referee is finally cutting the Japanese some slack.

Bob: The Japanese team declares war on Fujiwara, with Minamoto and Tachibana as alliance leader joining on Fujiwara's side. It's Taira against the rest of Japan!

Jim: Once again, Taira's army marches north to bring down its might on the Fujiwaran armies. In just two months, all of the Fujiwaran armies have been annihilated and all its cities besieged.

Bob: While in the south Minamoto and Tachibana take over some cities, in December 1443 Taira has enough control over Fujiwara territory to force it into a vassal!

Jim: Seems like the Japanese team just used the mission as an excuse. They've already cancelled it.

Bob: The new mission is simple, get 100 ducats, indeed they succeed doing so quickly. And the new mission is....vassalize Japan.

Jim: <Grunt>
Bob: Cheer up, Jim. The year 1444 is a good one for our contestants. Their Master of the Mint gets into the zone and further decreases inflation by 0.10% per year for the next six years. The court diplomat doesn't want to be left behind and redoubles his efforts to improve the Daimyo's reputation.

1444greatadvisors.png

Also, the machinations of the contestants lead to an increase in Centralization.

Jim: However, the war with Minamoto and Tachibana continues. While Minamoto's meagre forces are swept away quickly, Tachibana makes it difficult for the Taira army. After losing some battles, the main Taira army has to retreat to escape annihilation, giving the initiative to Taira's enemies for most of 1445.

Bob: Yet vengeance is quick. In 1446 a fourteen regiment strong Tachibana army is annihilated, which opens the way to the Minamoto cities. A successful claim is forged on Awa, no doubt for future dreams of expansion. And in August Minamoto is so thoroughly beaten that they have no choice but to accept vassalage!

1446-08Minamotovassalized.png

Jim: A fruitful war, Bob. With Fujiwara and Minamoto vassalized, Taira's grip on Japan is all but total.

Bob: Indeed. With the claim on Awa, Taira has a permanent Casus Belli on Tachibana, so its subjugation will be a matter of time. The Japanese turn ends with another stroke of luck, a large tax payment.

1448-021000kokutax.png

Jim: A nice round for our Japanese contestants. With two other Daimyo's as vassals, the near future looks bright. But now it's the German's turn! Let's take a look at the Bavarian situation.

1450-01HRE.png

Bob: Bavaria's king has become the Emperor!

Jim: Indeed, Bob. Karl I has been succeeded by Joseph Clemens I, unfortunately for the German team neither Lüneburg nor Saxony has been inherited. Other setbacks are the loss of Dresden to Bohemia and a step towards Centralization.

Bob: Looks like the 1440's were a mixed decade for Bavaria.

Jim: But the German contestants are determined to make the 1450's a more positive decade. In January 1450 they start a Reconquest war against Bohemia, presumably to get Dresden back.

Bob: Bohemia is joined by some smaller South German allies, but its alliance is outnumbered and outmatched by the Bavarian alliance.

Jim: Meanwhile, a Bavarian scientist claims that no perfect circle exists. This does not sit well with the clergy and they violently oppose it, making Bavaria more Narrowminded.

1450-05clergycondemnsphilospher.png

Bob: Are you sure the German contestants haven't anything to do with that?

Jim: Pretty sure. Anyway, in September Bohemia is defeated and turns over Dresden and Sudety to Bavaria. Bavarian infamy is now very high, a score of 26 out of a maximum 31.

1450-09bohemiadefeated.png

Bob: That will limit their expansion for some time, especially because of owning two illegal HRE provinces. Yearly loss of infamy is only 0.20.

Jim: Luckily, Bavaria gets the opportunity to support the Florentine School in 1452, which gives another -.10 infamy reduction, along with extra cultural tradition and prestige.

Bob: Nice.

Jim: Wait, what do I see there?

1453-01castilleinheritshungary.png

Jim: Wow! Castille inherits Hungary!

Bob: That will very likely become a problem for Bavaria.

Jim: Wait, there is more! Joseph Clemens' heir dies in a hunting accident. Soon after that, Albrecht is born as the new heir.

Bob: Looks like Albrecht will be a slightly above average ruler in the future.

Jim: How do you know that? He's just a baby!

Bob: Our generous sponsor, GeneTech Inc., has given us a genetic analyser so we can accurately predict any ruler's or future ruler's skills.

Jim: That sound very impressive! They must make a killing selling those!

Bob: Not really, it only works with blue blood.

Jim: Ahh. Anyway, in 1454 another opportunity arises for the German team to influence Bavarian long-term policy. They choose to help the serfs again, increasing their rights as Free Subjects. The new gentleman farmers thank their benefactors by acquitting some loans, thereby reducing inflation by 2%. Also, in the same year, the king introduces a new currency, reducing inflation by another 3%!

1454-12inflationloss.png

Bob: A nice streak of luck and a well needed one, too. Bavarian inflation is now at 5%.

Jim: Sadly, this is the last act of the first Bavarian Emperor. Joseph Clemens I dies in 1456, leaving a three year old Albrecht as the new Holy Roman Emperor, albeit under a regency. On the bright side, the good news is that both Lüneburg and Saxony has been inherited!

Bob: As Saxony was an Elector, a new Elector is chosen. They choose Bavaria. The German's grip on the title of Emperor has only become stronger.

Jim: Not that they needed it. However, the increase in Imperial authority is lost immediately as two princes of the Empire, Hainaut and Parma, are annexed by outsiders, respectively France and England.

Bob: Not good. Bavaria is rapidly becoming surrounded by strong countries.

1460-01Europeanmap.png

Jim: Bavaria's position is indeed precarious. France's and Castille's income are around 1200, while Bavaria's is only 350.

Bob: It's not even the highest in the Empire. Venice with 560 and Mecklenburg with 430 are much richer than Bavaria, mainly due to the Bavarian lack of trade.

1460-1NATIONSTATS.png

Jim: Tough times ahead it seems. Sadly, we have no time left, so goodbye and until next time!

Last edited:
It seems like the three AI factions in Japan never do anything but seesaw back in forth in the games I've played. I don't think I've ever seen one of them unify the country or even reach a point of lasting dominance.

In my experience thus far, it takes most of the game, but by the end there are usually just two standing.
A shame one never then proceeds to eat the other.

My experience as well. Luckily I play as a Daimyo so this won't be an issue in this AAR :)

Mori’s suggestion is probably the best you can hope for but don’t be surprised if the AI moves a slider just before you take over and locks you out of that opportunity. :D You’re not going to be able to micromanage the countries so learn to “roll with the punches” either that or plan on a certain amount of frustration. Besides you might find that the AI does something that presents opportunities that will surprise you. :cool:

Once while playing three countries one was the Mamluks and when playing them I would expand into North Africa only to come back and find that they had rebelled away (or were lost in a war) and meanwhile the AI expanded into the Middle East. I’d move once again into North Africa only to come back and find that the same thing happen. After three turns the AI had added eight provinces in the Middle East and I had added zero provinces. Quite a humbling experience. :p The lesson I learned was that I had to change my strategy if I wanted to achieve my goal. You might have to do the same but then that’s what can be fun about playing the game this way.
I agree that rolling with the punches and tearing my hairs out because of the AI stupidty in ruling my countries is a big part of the fun. However, I've decided to make a repeatable national decision with which I can increase Decentralization, because I do not want to spend all my slider moves on that.

I can only hope the AI makes some surprising moves to liven up the game.

Excellent to see that the competition is going hard. I look forward to seeing what happens with the
crazy Germans the next time...oh and the Japanese.
I try to play both nations as interesting and competitive as possible.

Great new posts knul!
Looks like the German team is really kicking butt in these early stages, looking forward to seeing how it goes. BTW, I like your ideas for improving the competition (free decent., no wars of aggression).

I'm think of a couple of other rules to make Germany weaker, as I fear it will become a one-sides match if Germany is not reined in.

I rather little like EU3 AARs because they don't have much other possibilities than game-play driven stuff but this is something great!

You earned your trophy of a character writAAR of the week for a reason :D also cONgratulations about that!

Thank you kindly, Wave. I'm a bit surprised that people find Jim and Bob so appealing, as in my mind I have hardly characterised them! Still, nice to see that you like them!

So, who's leading right now?
Difficult to say. Both nations have comparable economies, Bavaria has much higher infamy and lower infamy loss. I think Bavaria controls a bit more territory but if so it's close. Bavaria does have the advantage of being HRE but also has some nasty powers in the neighbourhood.

The only big disadvantage Taira has now is its ruinous tech group, but Bavaria hasn't got a tech lead yet. A good turn for either nation can make either nation the leading one.

An excellent AAR overall! I really like the concept and you definitely make it work really well. :D

Thanks, Dinofs, I'm flattered.

I loved your Ming AAR, and I love this one even more, I think! The Ming AAR was extremely educational, but this one is pure fun. I've always liked country-switching AARs, and this one has a nice twist. And the sports commentators are pure comedy gold! :)
If you guys continue praising me like this, I'm going to blush! I really appreciate your praise, Safferli.

Hmm, Castillan Hungary wouldn't bother me at all, it's very likely to be lost to either rebels or Poland or such, at least that's my prediction(might be something to take advantage of, perhaps?) England also can't really compete on the mainland.
I'd be much more worried about France. If it were a normal game, I'd probably guarantee Burgundy, lest France swallow them unopposed, however with the AI at the reins 50% of the time, well that would very likely end none too pretty.

Taira is looking pretty solid there, but it looks like a waiting game for awhile now.

Oddly, this period of uncertain expansion is usually the most exciting part of an AAR for me to read, but here I'm more looking forward to after both powers have established themselves above all else in their region, and the world begins to polarize between the two sides.
Good luck to both teams, and looking forward to more.

Yay! Great game for the German team, and a really crappy Ref call for Japan. Lots happened, but I think the Germans have this one in the bag.
Germany was lucky in this turn to the extent that bribery might be suspected. :eek: An inflation reduction of -5%, two inheritances and a nice heir just after the current one died? Japan at least earned all that it gained. Oh well, Germany might get unlucky the next turn.

Yay! Update!

At last... :)

Yeaah, real life can be a bitch. At least there is always the Paradox forums to return to :)

I am excited to see this next update.

Always glad to please a veteran fan.

Hmm, Castillan Hungary wouldn't bother me at all, it's very likely to be lost to either rebels or Poland or such, at least that's my prediction(might be something to take advantage of, perhaps?) England also can't really compete on the mainland.
I'd be much more worried about France. If it were a normal game, I'd probably guarantee Burgundy, lest France swallow them unopposed, however with the AI at the reins 50% of the time, well that would very likely end none too pretty.

Taira is looking pretty solid there, but it looks like a waiting game for awhile now.

Oddly, this period of uncertain expansion is usually the most exciting part of an AAR for me to read, but here I'm more looking forward to after both powers have established themselves above all else in their region, and the world begins to polarize between the two sides.
Good luck to both teams, and looking forward to more.

True, true, England and Castille aren't worrying me that much, but can you blame the commentators from making the situation more dramatic? :D

As for the future development of both nations, I'm also curious on how the AI will throw a spanner in my strategies (or aid me in ways unforeseen). Playing countries only half of the time is certainly a fresh way of playing EU3.

*EDIT* On second though, Castille is doing very well, gobbling up Portugal and Aragon. Will it form Spain? We can only hope!

Last edited:
Castille are tearing her neighbours apart! The Bavarians should hope that France and Castille get into a war with each other, as that would most likely weaken both countries.

Also, craziness in Eastern Europe :D

You gonna try to get some of that Burgundian pie before the BBB munches it all?

An update filled with action, Castille inheriting Hungary...now that's a turn on the Hapsburgs. Nice to get the Gene Tech scanner out, I'm sure that will come in handy in years to come

One nice thing about switching nations is that you spend less time waiting. So even with the high Infamy both nations have, I anticipate that the next turns will still see some action.

The GeneTech BlueBlood™ scanner will of course see heavy action, it's such a nice gadget!

Castille are tearing her neighbours apart! The Bavarians should hope that France and Castille get into a war with each other, as that would most likely weaken both countries.

Also, craziness in Eastern Europe :D
A Castille-France war is too good to be true, so it won't happen.

East Europe is indeed a crazy mess, but in my experience since DW East Europe is always a bit untidy.

Pumped that this is back!
Thanks, I'll try to update more frequently in the future.

You gonna try to get some of that Burgundian pie before the BBB munches it all?
Perhaps. That might be difficult with the extra rules I will introduce. Also, I already have two illegal HRE provinces and I really can't get more illegal HRE provinces.

Nice gains for both sides, although it looks like Taira's position will be a bit more secure, since at least they don't have any big enemies left to threaten them.

Nice gains for both sides, although it looks like Taira's position will be a bit more secure, since at least they don't have any big enemies left to threaten them.
Well, Ming is still strong, as long as Taira/Japan does not Westernise. Of course, as an island nation Japan is always quite secure compared to a central European nation :)

So what happened to Ming? :rolleyes:
To be honest, with Taira I focus on the Japanese isles and I don't pay that much attention outside of it. The mainland will only be a concern once I become Shogun, and even then I will concentrate on uniting Japan.

I'm enjoying the AAR so far :) Keep it up, it's always nice to see alternative AAR's.
Good to hear :) One of the reasons I started an AAR with switching between nations is that it is an uncommon approach, so that it is indeed a fresh read. Also, it's a nice way to spice up the game for myself. I'm really looking forward to all kinds of weird situations caused by the AI ruling my nations.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 4: French fury

Jim: The fourth round of Double Domination: Germany versus Japan is about to start, dear viewers. With me is the always dependable Bob. Hi.

Bob: Hello Jim, glad to be here.

Jim: So am I. Can you tell our viewers how our Japanese contestants are doing?

Bob: Certainly. Nothing important has happened during their absence. On their return to Taira, the team immediately sent out spies to get more claims on the rival Daimyo's territories. Izamo and Iwami, both in control of Tachibana.

1460-06moreclaims.png

Jim: Oooh, looks like Taira will get into trouble with Tachibana soon! But wait, Taira has a weak navy compared to Tachibana's.

Bob: Not for too long, Jim. In 1461 Taire starts building 3 big ships.

Jim: Will that be enough?

Bob: The Japanese team thinks it is. Taira declares war on Tachibana in August 1462. On Tachibana's side, 4 big ships and 11 regiments defend their homeland, while on Taira's side, 7 big ships and 36 regiments fight for their Daimyo.

Jim: Three Daimyo's versus one is really one-sided, isn't it? The war can't be difficult for Taira.

Bob: It isn't. In december 1462 a lot of territory has been captured already.

1462-12.png

And in 1463, another claim is forged, on Chikuzen this time. After some more fighting, Taira and Tachibana sign a peace treaty in October 1464, in which Taira gains Chikuzen, Izum and Awa. Minamoto gains Iwami.

Jim: This leaves Tachibana with only six provinces. Taira is now de factor master of Japan and it is only a matter of time for Taira to become Shogun and eventually Emperor.

1464-10Japan.png

Jim: So now it's the German's turn. How are they doing, Bob?

Bob: ...well, Jim, not too well.

Jim: What do you mean?

Bob: See for yourself, Jim.

1470-01Frenchinvasion.png

Jim: Oh dear....oh dear...

Bob: Apparently Bavaria has become involved in a big war with France and has been smacked around quite badly. Only one regiment remains in the Bavarian army, the balance of the war is greatly in favour of France.

1470-01overviewofforces.png

Jim: What a disaster. There is no chance Bavaria can win this war. <Brings hand to earpiece> Indeed, Bavaria has signed a peace with France in 1472. Luckily the German diplomats managed to make the peace a rather mild one, considering the circumstances.

1472-04peacewithFrance.png

Bob: While the loss of Alsace and Cologne hurts, at least these vassals are not necessary for uniting Germany. Besides, giving up an Imperial reform is not that bad, seeing that the German team intents to form, surprise surprise, Germany and will not go for Imperial unification.

Jim: Now all that remains is rebuilding the Bavarian army. What a setback!

Bob: Hold on, Jim, I'm getting some news on German spy operations.

Jim: Are they planning something?

Bob: Something devious. The German spies have managed to get a claim on Brandenburg,

Jim: But....but Brandenburg is a vassal and ally of Bavaria!

Bob: It seems that the German team really wants the province of Brandenburg. According to our political analysts, German unification will only be possible if Bavaria has Berlin under its control. I think the German team wants to get Berlin early in order to secure their unification of the German people.

Jim: Still, it's very devious and other nation's trust in Bavaria will erode.

1476-05unionwithBrandenburg.png

Bob: In 1476, Bavaria is defeated and agrees to a union under the Bavarian king. A year later the German political experts manage to force the Bavarian aristocracy to grant their serfs more freedom.

Jim: The German team still aims for Free Subjects, I see. It pays off already, as inflation has fallen with 2% after the new laws have been instituted. Inflation is now a comfortable 6.8%.

Bob: The Bavarian army has been rebuild a bit, counting 27 regiments at the moment. Still, that will not be enough if France decides to invade again.

Jim: Tough times ahead it seems. Sadly, we have no time left, so goodbye and until next time!

1479-09Europe.png

Last edited: