• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe this is something I don't understand about DW, but since Japan is an OPM, why couldn't you vassalize them? Is it some special mechanic?
Indeed it's due to special mechanics. First, I have (almost) no diplomatic options with Japan: I can't declare war, ally, vassalize or anything with Japan. Second, for outsiders the peace cost of Japan is increased with the territory owned by Daimyo's: it's not unusual to have an annex cost of 500% for OPM Japan.

That's why this mission is so out of place: while it's fine for normal OPMs, Japan is a special case for which the mission doesn't work.

Good to see that someone has some experience with this approach. I am worried that the AI will screw around with the National focus and that I need to reorganize the armies every time I switch back, leading to frustration. Did you experience that?

I don't have DW so I don't know what changes you can expect but in the earlier vesions of EU3 National focus wasn't a problem. In both EUII and EUIII the AI has a mind of its own and can be rather stubborn to put it mildly, although EU II was by far more of a problem in this regard. One problem I found is that I'd come back and find my fleets all over the world and getting them back to a safe port before they sank was an advenure. :eek: On occasion my armies were screwed up but it usually wasn't too much of a problem. Oh and rebels taking provinces and declaring independence was a serious problem for some countries but strangely enough not for others I played. In other words you can't count on anything, which is what makes it so much fun. ;) I'm going to follow and see if the AI controlled countries in DW have changed any. Good luck.

Whoa, missed your new aar until now. Gotta correct that.*nods*

I think you'd be entirely justified in cancelling Japan's mission. If it's not possible, they shouldn't be stuck with it.

Regarding switching countries: I don't remember where, but I heard inflation can become an issue - that the AI doesn't pay enough attention to it. Keep an eye on that in the long term. Then again, if both countries 'suffer' equally it should balance out.

I don't have DW so I don't know what changes you can expect but in the earlier vesions of EU3 National focus wasn't a problem. In both EUII and EUIII the AI has a mind of its own and can be rather stubborn to put it mildly, although EU II was by far more of a problem in this regard. One problem I found is that I'd come back and find my fleets all over the world and getting them back to a safe port before they sank was an advenure. :eek: On occasion my armies were screwed up but it usually wasn't too much of a problem. Oh and rebels taking provinces and declaring independence was a serious problem for some countries but strangely enough not for others I played. In other words you can't count on anything, which is what makes it so much fun. ;) I'm going to follow and see if the AI controlled countries in DW have changed any. Good luck.
You make me a bit scared! :0 Oh well, if I am going down like the Titanic on a high-grav world, it will be fun for you guys at least.

Whoa, missed your new aar until now. Gotta correct that.*nods*
How could you miss my blatant advertising for this AAR in the Yin, Yang and the Ugly thread?! Guess I'll have to advertise my work even more blatant next time. ;)

I think you'd be entirely justified in cancelling Japan's mission. If it's not possible, they shouldn't be stuck with it.

Regarding switching countries: I don't remember where, but I heard inflation can become an issue - that the AI doesn't pay enough attention to it. Keep an eye on that in the long term. Then again, if both countries 'suffer' equally it should balance out.
I will certainly cancel Taira's mission when I think it's needed. In general I don't pay much attention to missions and frankly, it's not bad to have an impossible mission. As the AI is partly guided by missions and I want my AI to be as inactive as possible, this is not that bad of a situation.

As for the inflation, if the AI doesn't spend all its money on army maintenance, it won't be that much of a problem.

knul, you've been selected as Character Writer of the Week! Congratulations for setting up such an immersive atmosphere.
Thanks, YF-23! And I am only just starting!

How could you fail to like us? We're all so lovable, and our version of the German language is adorable! Unfathomable perhaps, but still adorable!

You're actually more Austrian than German :D

@knul
It would be a bavarian Germany and I would hope for my northern brethren to revolt against the oppressors :D

You're actually more Austrian than German :D

@knul
It would be a bavarian Germany and I would hope for my northern brethren to revolt against the oppressors :D

You might be, but I'm no more Austrian than a...particularly...erm...un-Austrian thing! Besides, don't you want to speak our lovely language and spend a month in every year getting drunk?

Please keep the off-topic posts to a minimum, gentlemen.

I've played ahead a bit and Bavaria's AI again has gone towards Centralization. I am seriously considering modding something in to deal with this problem, as I don't intend to only use Germany's domestic slider moves to play ping-pong with the A.I. I am thinking of a national decision of zero cost that gives a +1 Decentralization, but if someone has a better idea, I love to hear it.

I've played ahead a bit and Bavaria's AI again has gone towards Centralization. I am seriously considering modding something in to deal with this problem, as I don't intend to only use Germany's domestic slider moves to play ping-pong with the A.I. I am thinking of a national decision of zero cost that gives a +1 Decentralization, but if someone has a better idea, I love to hear it.

Would it be against the rules to move the slider at the last day of your game, so the AI does not have time to change it? Sure, you would play about 10 years on Centralisation +1, but if the Referee accepts, Germany could allow Japan some other advantage, such as taking a new mission

Last edited:
Personally I think that not only being locked at full decentralisation, but also unable to move the sliders unless through event might be a fair penalty for team Germany. If anything their opening moves prove they don't need much more help.
Mmm, not an attractive option. I planned for Germany and Japan to have very different slider settings, so that their strategy constrasts with each other.

I am thinking of disallowing Germany to declare ware without a CB, i.e. forbidding to use the "No Casus Belli" CB and to forbid Personal Unions outside of the German culture group. Also, I am considering giving Japan some kind of bonus. Perhaps a +1 Magistrate/year would balance things a bit?

The penalties for Germany will kick in later: being fully Decentralized will provide quite a penalty compared to Japan's full Centralization, plus Japan will have more opportunities for expansion as Germany is more limited in regards to CBs.

I really love this. It'll be cool to see a unified Japan in DW - I've wanted to try but haven't yet.
For a human, unifying Japan isn't hard (compared to forming Italy or Germany, for example). However, it seems that the AI has much more difficulty in forming Japan. Probably because it takes some planning to do so.

Would it be against the rules to move the slider at the last day of your game, so the AI does not have time to change it? Sure, you would play about 10 years on Centralisation +1, but if the Referee accepts, Germany could allow Japan some other advantage, such as taking a new mission
Don't worry, Japan already had a new mission, a nice one. As for your suggestion on slider strategy, that might work.

For a human, unifying Japan isn't hard (compared to forming Italy or Germany, for example). However, it seems that the AI has much more difficulty in forming Japan. Probably because it takes some planning to do so.

It seems like the three AI factions in Japan never do anything but seesaw back in forth in the games I've played. I don't think I've ever seen one of them unify the country or even reach a point of lasting dominance.

Mmm, not an attractive option. I planned for Germany and Japan to have very different slider settings, so that their strategy constrasts with each other.

Mori’s suggestion is probably the best you can hope for but don’t be surprised if the AI moves a slider just before you take over and locks you out of that opportunity. :D You’re not going to be able to micromanage the countries so learn to “roll with the punches” either that or plan on a certain amount of frustration. Besides you might find that the AI does something that presents opportunities that will surprise you. :cool:

Once while playing three countries one was the Mamluks and when playing them I would expand into North Africa only to come back and find that they had rebelled away (or were lost in a war) and meanwhile the AI expanded into the Middle East. I’d move once again into North Africa only to come back and find that the same thing happen. After three turns the AI had added eight provinces in the Middle East and I had added zero provinces. Quite a humbling experience. :p The lesson I learned was that I had to change my strategy if I wanted to achieve my goal. You might have to do the same but then that’s what can be fun about playing the game this way.

Great new posts knul!
Looks like the German team is really kicking butt in these early stages, looking forward to seeing how it goes. BTW, I like your ideas for improving the competition (free decent., no wars of aggression).

I rather little like EU3 AARs because they don't have much other possibilities than game-play driven stuff but this is something great!

You earned your trophy of a character writAAR of the week for a reason :D also cONgratulations about that!