• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Banzai dai nippon! Korose!
Indeed. Nippon kawaii sushi!

Nice clean-up of Japan. New NIs and the army reorganisation are well-needed. Good thing you inherited China! Pity it didn't come earlier...

The Engineer NI is particularly nice, the extra 50% defensiveness will probably be needed once the Great War starts!

The inheritance of Manchu and Wu was amazing. I was literally cheering, something that does not happen often.

Engineer Corps only gives +25% Defensiveness, but as Japan has a standard fort Defensiveness of 75% due to being very Offensive, it´s still nice to have enemy sieges lasting 33% longer.

A fantastic resurgence for Japan! The final battle will be that much more epic now.
Indeed. It will be the most epic war I´ve ever fought in EU3 and I hope you guys will also enjoy it!

It will certainly be interesting, if nothing else! :)
It will indeed be hard to make the rest of the game boring :)

I can't wait for the final battle to start.

Me too. However, I have problems with starting the war. I´ve started a thread on that: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?570964-Problem-with-editing-a-war-in.

If any of you know something about editing EU3 savegames or otherwise solve the problem, please answer in that thread. Until I have found a solution, the AAR can´t continue!

*EDIT* Malurous has found a solution for my problem. The war has started!

Last edited:
1399-01welcome.png

Pre-Battle analysis

Jim: Welcome, dear audience, to a very special episode of Double Domination: Germany versus Japan!

Bob: Indeed Jim, this episode is special as we analyse the situation Germany and Japan find themselves in.

Jim: And what better way to start with a nice world map?

1770world_map.png

Bob: As you can see, both the German and the Japanese empires have expanded quite nicely during the game.

Jim: Germany's expansion has been quite close to home, with unifying Germany, getting the lowlands and North Italy and taking over most of the British isles. Its union partners, though, have expanded all over the world, with Spain controlling most of South America and France having colonies in Asia, Africa and North America.

Bob: With the inheritance of China, Japan directly administers its empire to a much larger degree than Germany, whose empire is mainly under the control of its union partners.

Jim: Let's take a look on how the expansion of both empires proceeded over time.

1770number_of_provinces.png

Bob: You can clearly see the inheritance of Manchu in 1671 and the inheritances of the other Manchu and Wu in 1761 as jumps in Japan's size.

Jim: It's also interesting to see that without the inheritances, Germany's and Japan expansion speed until the 1700's wasn't that different. After that, Japan's imperialism gave it a speed advantage. Another nice thing to notice is that Germany's ascent and Great Britain's decline after 1660 is almost symmetrical, showing that GB's losses were Germany's gains.

Bob: But what about the internal characteristics of both empires?

1770charts.png

Jim: A striking difference is in the religions. Germany is utterly and completely Catholic, making the nations very coherent and robust to rebellion. In contrast, in Japan the state religion Shinto is only a minority religion.

Bob: Both nations have only a few non-core provinces, a lot of which will become core provinces quite soon.

Jim: It's quite surprising to see that in the Japanese empire, almost half of the nation is Japanese, while controlling China, large parts of India and Persia. While Germany looks culturally divided, more than half the German kingdom is part of the German culture group. Anyway, on to governmental policy!

1770governments.png

Jim: In many ways, both nations run the same policies and ideas. They share five National Ideas and four domestic policies are more or less the same.

Bob: On the other hand, some significant differences exist. The two nations greatly differ in policy on Centralisation, Freedom of Subjects, the type of elite and trade policy. Also, Germany focusses more on a large navy while Japan is more into quality.

Jim: Indeed. Also, a slightly different approach in army matters. Germany has an advantage in leadership while Japan will have the edge in sieges. Why the German natives have chosen Glorious Arms will always be a mystery to us.

Bob: But how do all these policies and ideas impact the economy?

Jim: An important question, as money is the sinews of war.

1770nationcomparison.png

Bob: Wow! Japan's economy almost matches Germany's!

Jim: Indeed, quite an accomplishment. It shows how important the inheritance of China was. However, with Japan having 20% inflation and Germany only 3%, Germany still has much more purchase power. All in all, the German alliance has about twice the income the Japanese alliance has.

Bob: Here's the history of national incomes:

1770incomegraph.png

Jim: Funny to see that the war for Pressburg was apparently the moment Germany became the #1 economy and stayed that way. Also interesting to see that Japan became the world´s second economy sometime after its three consecutive turns.

Bob: Any explanation for the big surges and spikes in Germany´s income later in the match?

Jim: I'm not sure. The most likely reason is falling and rising trade income, as that income can be quite variable.

Bob: Perhaps it's interesting to see how many buildings Germany and Japan have?

1770buildings.png

Jim: It looks like the -2 magistrate per year penalty worked out quite well, as Japan has slightly more buildings than Germany.

Bob: Of course, without inheriting China, Japan would have much less buildings than Germany.

Jim: True, true. Also, an interesting pattern is that Japan has more low level buildings than Germany, showing that for Japan money remained a limit on construction throughout the game. Let's see how manufactories were doing.

1770manufactories.png

Bob: Here, Germany is clearly the leader, but only due to one turn, 17, in which all of its weapon manufactories were build. However, keep in mind that at the time this census was taken, five Japanese Fine Art Academies were still under construction.

Jim: Even with the natives' incompetence, the many manufactories will keep German Land tech up to date. Shall we now take a look at the military power of the contestants?

Bob: Certainly, the best for last.

1770armycomparison.png

Jim: Japan has now the largest army and manpower pool of all nations, with the addition of China. The doubling of Japan's army size in the last ten years have paid off!

Bob: Only 15% larger than Germany's army. Anyway, the whole German alliance combined easily has twice the army Japan has.

Jim: Some interesting points are that Spain has a small army compared to its economy, probably due to the fact that its large colonial empire provide lots of money but little manpower. Also, Poland has an army comparable to France and Spain, despite having an economy twice as small as France and three times smaller than Spain!

Bob: On to the comparison of navies.

1770navycomparison.png

Jim: Japan's navy has exploded the last ten years. In 1760, it had only four outdated Big Ships which were scrapped, along with all the galleys that weren't needed for anti-pirate patrol.

Bob: While having the most Big Ships of any nation, Japan's navy is still much smaller than the combined forces of the United Kingdoms of Europe. Also, Japan only has twodeckers, while Germany has the much stronger threedeckers.

Jim: In general, German forces are much better in quality than Japan's. A quick look at the technology levels of the major powers confirms this.

1770techtable.png

Bob: Ouch! Germany outright dominates in technology! It's almost 90 levels ahead of Japan!

Jim: Still, Japan has done quite well, with its bad starting tech group, its painful Westernisation process, its Serfdom policy and the inheritance of many low-quality Manchu provinces (the first Manchu, not Ming-Manchu). I mean, technologically Japan is on par with France and even ahead of Poland! Quite an achievement, the Japanese contestants deserve a pat on the back for this.

Bob: Another surprise, to me at least, is that Spain has done so well in technology, even with their large colonial empire.

Jim: Germany is way ahead Japan in military tech. How does this impact their armies and navies?

1770technology.png

Bob: Just as I feared. While Japan might have the numbers on its side in naval matters, the fact remains that German ships have almost double the firepower the Japanese has.

Jim: On Land the difference is a bit smaller, but still significant. German infantry has about 20% more firepower and cavalry about 10%, not counting the superior unit types Germany has access to.

Bob: And look at those artillery...very lethal...

Jim: So to conclude, while Japan has become Germany 's equal in terms of economy and even has gained a lead in troop and ship numbers, Germany has much better technology and military quality and with its allies included, almost double the army size. All in all, Japan still has an uphill battle even with China incorporated. Soon we will air the first part of the Final Battle! See you then!

Last edited:
And kawaii sushi to you too.

I still think after you're done, you should play as Germany against Japan.

I'm hoping that the AI screws up badly and makes this much easier. :p
Good luck taking down Germany as Japan; you'll need it.

Germany has quite a large tech lead, and also the much better NIs. Especially the +army tradition one (the name eludes me currently) will result in much better generals, and thus armies with a much higher punch... Japan is still easily the weaker of the two nations if this were a MP session, I'd say.

Japan is weaker but it will depend on what the German's buddies bring to the party. If its just a couple of beers for them to hang out and ogle the girls, Japan will do alright; but if they bring the whole keg...Then this party is going to be going megabad for Nippon. Time to break out the Bushido willpower!

I think you will lose this war. :p
Heartwarming, such confidence :)

But I must admit, it's a though fight ahead. I was so glad to inherit China as otherwise I would have 3-4 times less troops and manpower as the United Kingdoms, which would made it even harder.

And kawaii sushi to you too.

I still think after you're done, you should play as Germany against Japan.

Don't count on it. I have an exciting new AAR in the queue, which I will start after the Final Battle. Besides, I will probably be tired of fighting after the Final Battle and will need a breather anyway. I might return to this AAR on a later date and fight on the other side, but I guarantee nothing.

I'm hoping that the AI screws up badly and makes this much easier. :p
Good luck taking down Germany as Japan; you'll need it.
Thanks, Michaelangelo. I wouldn't be able to win if the AI didn't screw up :)

Germany has quite a large tech lead, and also the much better NIs. Especially the +army tradition one (the name eludes me currently) will result in much better generals, and thus armies with a much higher punch... Japan is still easily the weaker of the two nations if this were a MP session, I'd say.
Funny, I personally think the Battlefield Commissions NI (the +army tradition one) is not the strongest military NI in this scenario, as 1) with so many armies, generals have less of an impact and 2) in a war like this, I predict most of my tradition will come from battles anyway. The Grand Armee and National Conscripts are much more important, perhap's that's why every major nation has those two :)

I agree that Japan would have little chance in a MP game.

Japan is weaker but it will depend on what the German's buddies bring to the party. If its just a couple of beers for them to hang out and ogle the girls, Japan will do alright; but if they bring the whole keg...Then this party is going to be going megabad for Nippon. Time to break out the Bushido willpower!
Well, I've played the Final Battle for a bit now and so far most of Germany's buddies are bringing a big part of the keg. The war has been quite brutal, so far.

Last edited:
This will be great to watch - can't wait.

Any hints on what that next AAR will be?

I rather keep it a surprise :)

just a thank you for a great aar! Looking forward to your next one.
Thank you for reading, quicksabre! It's so encouraging to have people reading and commenting the AAR.

Great AAR so far. It would be cool at the end if you uploaded the pre-war save so we could try and fight the endgame war ourselves!

Great AAR so far. It would be cool at the end if you uploaded the pre-war save so we could try and fight the endgame war ourselves!

Of course, I had forgotten about that! I´ve attached it to this post.

Gotta agree with that one... also, it would make an excellent mp-scenario, if you first buff Japanese a bit. Ahh, also, this is one excellent aar!

If you want to buff the Japanese, be my guest. Besides giving the Japanese improved tech, I´m not sure how you could balance both sides in an adquate way.

Attachments

• DD 1770_01_02 Final Battle.rar
    2,3 MB · Views: 82
I rather keep it a surprise :)

I kind of hope that its something in a similar vein. Or if its not, that you and/or others take up a similar style of AARs and this becomes a trend. The idea of controlling two nations in alternation, trying to keep them even as possible, not letting them fight, and then doing a titanic clash at the end is quite appealing. Other possibilities...

HRE OPM -> Germany vs Muscowy -> Russia
Hindu Nation -> Hindustan vs Muslim Minor
Native American Tribe vs Pacific Islander Tribe
Denmark vs Italian minor
England vs France
Byzantines vs Papal States

Would you be mad if someone copied your style of AAR and wrote something similar (with credit given, of course ;) )

If you want to buff the Japanese, be my guest. Besides giving the Japanese improved tech, I´m not sure how you could balance both sides in an adquate way.

Like if being played by a human wasn't enough... :p

disbanding the artillery was a bad idea, you would need the support fire in such a situation, if the AI Germany uses lots of artillery...poor you, your armies will be bombed into Oblivion :happy: