• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wonder what is the revolt risk in Germany? I am somewhat worried that a few years after the battle starts with the massive amount of war exhaustion the empire will just disintegrate. Perhaps after all it was a good thing that you didn't inherit the PU's after all ;)

I completely understand why you want to play with Japan... but after you show Kaiser who's the real emperor, can there be a re-match, played with Germany this time? 2 final battles would mean double the epicness and I'd love to see German armies making their way though the heavily fortified Japanese corridor, right from the borders of Poland to the depths of China, before re-attempting what the Mongols failed in 1281!

*faints at seeing the diplomatic map of Germany/Europe*

Oh. My. God! Poor Japan...

Wow, this is awesome. Keep it coming, I'm thinking you need to play as Japan in the final battle.
Thanks, matt12th. I agree with you: I declared in turn 17, first half that I would play as Japan because Germany was just too far ahead.

Yes, the final battle is almost here. I'm excited to see the two gigantic empires go to war with one another.
Me too. Actually, I'm a bit scared. You'll see why in the pre-Battle analysis.

Soon we will see what's bigger : the German might or AI dumbness
The only chance of winning I have lies in the ineptness of the AI. If Germany, France, Spain and Poland were played by somewhat competent human players, I wouldn't stand a chance.

We so excited!
Good to hear!

I wonder what is the revolt risk in Germany? I am somewhat worried that a few years after the battle starts with the massive amount of war exhaustion the empire will just disintegrate. Perhaps after all it was a good thing that you didn't inherit the PU's after all ;)

I completely understand why you want to play with Japan... but after you show Kaiser who's the real emperor, can there be a re-match, played with Germany this time? 2 final battles would mean double the epicness and I'd love to see German armies making their way though the heavily fortified Japanese corridor, right from the borders of Poland to the depths of China!

I don't know all the revolt risk modifiers for Germany, but it's not a bad situation. At least much better than Japan's. You see, Germany is completely catholic: even Modena was converted at the last moment. In contrast. Shintoism is a minority religion in the Japanese empire and with the recent conquests, Japan has a lot of heathen provinces with a low, low tolerance. Also, due to Germany's complete Decentralisation, its maximum exhaustion is quite a bit lower than Japan's.

I might play the Final Battle a second time, but this depends on how much fun I have with it. I also plan to do another AAR after this, so I might give that AAR precendence over a second Final Battle.

*EDIT*

*faints at seeing the diplomatic map of Germany/Europe*

Oh. My. God! Poor Japan...
I do indeed have quite a challenge waiting for me. :)

Last edited:
This looks like its going to be a very exciting finale. I can't wait!
Me too. It's difficult to describe the feeling when you're thinking "damn, I only have 350.000 frontline troops, I hope it will be enough".

By the way, something amazing happened in the game (I am at June 1761) and before people claim I cheated, I want to preemptively deny all accusations. I have not cheated, used modded events or decisions or anything to obtain this outcome. I swear it's what the game itself let happen!

And no, I won't tell what it is, but you can probably guess ;)

Me too. It's difficult to describe the feeling when you're thinking "damn, I only have 350.000 frontline troops, I hope it will be enough".

By the way, something amazing happened in the game (I am at June 1761) and before people claim I cheated, I want to preemptively deny all accusations. I have not cheated, used modded events or decisions or anything to obtain this outcome. I swear it's what the game itself let happen!

One of the countries inherited all of their unions?

By telling us what it was not, you're already breaking your rule not to tell what it was. :)

By telling us what it was not, you're already breaking your rule not to tell what it was. :)
I know, I'm just too damn excited! :)

But you're right, from now on I will shut my mouth, you'll have to wait until the next update!

Last edited:

Japan inherited Germany?

What did I win?

A PU with Novgorod AND Persia? : )
Seeing as Persia is now a two-province minor (see last picture of turn 18 first half), a PU with Persia would be less exciting than, say, a PU with Rajputana.

Japan inherited Germany?

What did I win?
The award for most silly suggestion of the thread :)

Also, I wouldn't be that excited, as it would ruin the game. Japan and Germany combined can take on the rest of the world with both hands tied behind their back.

Aren't you missing the point that, with the established parameters, it would literally be "game over"? :laugh:

Aren't you missing the point that, with the established parameters, it would literally be "game over"? :laugh:

Hmm, you got a point there. Damn, it's always a bad thing if your audience is smarter than yourself. :)

Still, to salvage some of my dignity, it would still not be exciting as it would mean the match was over.

1399-01welcome.png

Japan's Battle preparation

Jim: Good evening, dear viewers. The German team is here in the studio, sitting on the front row with a beer. They look with anticipation, as undoubtedly we all do, how the Japanese team will prepare for the brutal Final Battle.

Bob: Indeed, Jim. With Japan way behind Germany in technology and economy, it needs all the preparation it can get. The team starts with a massive reorganisation of the army, as from now on the natives won't get control anymore.

Jim: What you call massive. No less than 90 regiments are disbanded! Can you tell us why this was necessary, Bob?

Bob: Of course, Jim. Twelve of those regiments were artillery. While powerful, the Japanese artillery is extremely expensive, costing six and a half time more than infantry.

1760-01militarycostsandmodifiers.png

Bob: With a fully Offensive and Land-focussed doctrine and a rigidly enforced Serfdom, infantry is very cheap while artillery is very expensive.

Jim: And what about the other...78 regiments?

Bob: All non-core troops, Muslim musketeer cavalry and such. As they won't get further upgrades and are weaker than core troops, it's best to let them go. Also, this purge enables the contestants to standardise the whole army. All troops are assigned to ten-regiment corps, each having four cavalry regiments and six infantry regiments.

Jim: Smart move. With the enormous quantity of forces at the team's disposal, it's more important to be able to easily control large amounts of troops at once than it is to have armies optimized for a specific terrain or enemy. With standardized corps, high command can focus more on the big picture.

Bob: In the middle of 1760, Land tech 34 is reached, increasing the level of Japanese tactics to 3. Now full investments is made into Land tech so to reach land 36 for Arme Blanche cavalry. The navy is strengthened by the construction of an Admiralty.

Jim: While diplomacy isn't that important anymore, some effort is still put into it. Relations with Novgorod are improved and at the end of 1760, Japan gains Military access to Novgorod.

Bob: In June 1761, Emperor Ogawa dies. Hold on, I get messages that...

1761-06yeeeeehaaaaaa.png

Jim: YESSSSS!!!

Bob: YIIIIIHHAAAAA!

Jim: Wow, we have waited for this for many, many decades and then it happens, just at the right time! Finally, Japan has inherited China!

Bob: This is fantastic! Japan has now become much stronger, making the Final Battle even more epic! Wow, about five to eight buildings in each Chinese province, not counting forts...

Jim: Bob, do you have some statistics on how much this wonderful events helps Japan's situation?

Bob: Certainly! Land supply limits increase from 400 regiments to 528. The manpower pool increases from 612.000 to 1.018.000, making Japan the only nation to cross the million manpower line. Yearly income has risen from 11.000 to 16.000, almost reaching Germany's.

Jim: Fantastic! I can't wait until the pre-Battle analysis to see how this holds up to the German alliance.

Bob: With the new and improved supply limits, even more troops are recruited in the conscription centres. Mints, stock exchanges, arsenals and conscription centres are build all over China. In 1762, Land tech 36 is reached and Japan switches its cavalry type to Arme Blanche cavalry.

1762-05armeblanche.png

Jim: Too bad the assassination of a high-ranking noble destabilises the country.

Bob: Don't worry too much. Without high infamy or war exhaustion to drive up the cost of stability, Japan can regain stability every four months, a bit like Germany. Japan only needs Church Attendance to match Germany's rate.

Jim: It;s no wonder then that the Quest for the New World National Idea is exchanged for Grand Armée, as although this switch in governmental philosophy is very destabilising, full stability can be regained in just a year.

Bob: With the supply limit now risen to 650 regiments, even more regiments are recruited. The Japanese army is fast becoming a juggernaut of epic proportions!

Jim: Some more good news: in 1763, Japan becomes more narrowminded as people sample new religions. For the first time in centuries, Japan's missionary gain is positive at 0.20 per year. A start is made in converting Islamic provinces. Also, as in December 1763 full stability is regained, another National Idea switch takes place: the Cabinet has to go and Engineer Corps is adopted.

1763-12newidea.png

Bob: Interesting. Japan goes for a siege approach. This will also help with dealing with the inevitable rebels.

Jim: Would have helped the German alliance as well. The natives are not doing too well, as the German alliance has been at war with Sweden for some time, racking up quite some war exhaustion.

1764-12scandinavia.png

Referee: I will remove any war exhaustion from the German alliance at the start of the Final Battle, as it would be unfair otherwise.

Bob: It still mystifies me why such a powerful alliance can get war exhaustion in the teens against such an easy target. Anyway, in 1765, full stability is once again reached and a third National Idea switch takes place: while Patron of the Arts served Japan for many decades, it is thrown out in favour of Bill of Rights, no doubt another measure against a probably widespread rebellion during the Battle. But instead of full investment into stability, the government chooses to invest into Naval tech instead.

1765-03nis.png

Jim: Germany and co remain dedicated to the idea of racking up war exhaustion as they get into another war, with revolter state Quebec this time.

1765-04quebec.png

Bob: In 1766, Naval tech 32 is reached, enabling Japan to build twodeckers. Which is immediately taken advantage of, as 80 twodeckers are ordered. Now full investment in stability is started.

Jim: With all the inheriting and recruitment and other excitement, the team's diplomats work in silence. With little fanfare a treaty for Military Access to the Mamluks is ratified. Recruitment of land troops is finally ended as the supply limit is hit.

Bob: In 1767, five Fine Arts academies build, to compensate the loss of Patron of the Arts. In 1768, full stability is regained. All investments are poured into Land technology.

Jim: The rest of the sixties sees little exciting happening, thereby ending this turn.

Referee: Wait a minute, please. As I promised, I will remove war exhaustion from Japan's opponents. Let me push this button....<beep> done. Germany has lost 13 points of war exhaustion, Poland 10 points, France 16 points, Spain 13 points and Hungary 4. Byzantium and Prussia has zero war exhaustion thus needed no help. I hope they will manage their war exhaustion better in the Final Battle....

Jim: Thanks, Referee. Well, people, that was the build-up to the Final Battle. Next time, Bob and I will do an in-depth analysis of both alliances. And then, the Final Battle! See you soon!

Nice clean-up of Japan. New NIs and the army reorganisation are well-needed. Good thing you inherited China! Pity it didn't come earlier...

The Engineer NI is particularly nice, the extra 50% defensiveness will probably be needed once the Great War starts!