• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A PU with France will certainly help the German team and also keep one pest at way. Now the Japanese team needs to form a PU with Ming to one up Germany. :)

Subscribed. I just read through this thread with great enjoyment. I came hefe after devouring your earlier AAR, and look forward to your continuing this one. I learned something new pretty much on every page.

If you manage to gain Northern Italy and inherit France, you will put any HRE Emperor to a shame. After only 50% of playing!

On the other hand, the Post EU3 timeframe empire of Japan is already surpassed ;)

Well, you know... a game lasts for 400 years and at the end the Germans always win :D
I don´t know about your games, but in most of mine, Germany isn´t even formed. So that´s not quite true ;)

Ah, so it's like in the football world cup series. The game has 90 minutes, and in the end the Germans win...

Oh, poor you! ;)
I know, the agony! :happy:

A PU with France will certainly help the German team and also keep one pest at way. Now the Japanese team needs to form a PU with Ming to one up Germany. :)
That would indeed help Japan a lot. Not so much to lose a threat, but to get those yummy trade goods. :wub:

Subscribed. I just read through this thread with great enjoyment. I came hefe after devouring your earlier AAR, and look forward to your continuing this one. I learned something new pretty much on every page.

Welcome Jack LEagle, good to hear you enjoy yourself. I´m pleasantly surprised that you learn so much from this AAR, as it´s really not intended to.

If you manage to gain Northern Italy and inherit France, you will put any HRE Emperor to a shame. After only 50% of playing!

On the other hand, the Post EU3 timeframe empire of Japan is already surpassed ;)
Funny you say that. Compared to other veteran players I consider myself quite weak in conquering. From what I´ve seen, most veteran players by this date have conquered more than double that I´ve done.

Still, this AAR is sort of a personal record regarding conquest, as until now I pretty much ignored PUs. What this AAR shows is that PUs are indeed extremely useful for expansion.

I think that after all the trouble you went to for Germany not to be overpowering, forcing a Personal Union on France was rather cheap. :(

I think that after all the trouble you went to for Germany not to be overpowering, forcing a Personal Union on France was rather cheap. :(

He's tried to hold back Germany with extra rules, not by passing up opportunities. The point of the exercise is to play his best when he's doing either country.

He's tried to hold back Germany with extra rules, not by passing up opportunities. The point of the exercise is to play his best when he's doing either country.
You´re quite right there, Fronzel. I´m not holding back as either nation just to help the other out. It´s a competition, after all.

I´m sorry you do not like what I´m doing. However, I do not see why this move is cheap. It´s perfectly legal and in the spirit of the game. If you mean that Germany will get further ahead, well, it gives Japan a run for its money.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 13, first half:cutthroat diplomacy

Jim: Hello, fellow fans of Double Domination! Turn 13 is about to commence, keep your fingers crossed it won't be unlucky! With me is the always dependable Bob.

Bob: Hi, everyone!

Jim: While we wait for the Japanese team to get to the field, let's take a look at the current statistics, for the year 1640.

1640-01nationalcomp.png

Bob: Japan has now the second largest economy in the world. While only the half of Germany's, if Japan inherits all its subjects at Saiin I's death, the difference won't be that large. Also, Japan has so far managed to close the technological gap quite nicely. Germany has a combined tech level of 129, one of the highest in the world, while Japan's combined tech level is a respectable 100, reducing the difference from 45 levels to 29 levels during the last turn.

Jim: Plus, with tech import from European nations worth an estimated 1800 ducats per year, Japan's technology will improve even more the coming years. Also, very surprisingly, the natives have managed to have a supermonopoly in Kyoto, leaving only one foreign merchant!

1640-01kyotosupermonopoly.png

Bob: Sadly, Saiin I dies in februari 1640 with none of the subjects inherited. Japan could have used some luck here! The capable Momozono becomes Emperor.

1640-02momozono.png

Jim: He doesn't kid around. In March he makes a claim on his rivals already.

1640-03claimsonrivals.png

Bob: I see that Momozono's high diplomacy skill is used to good effect. In October war is declared on Ming, to get Jiangmen. With a quick invasion of Nanjing and the destruction of a couple of armies, in August 1641, Ming surrenders, ceding Jiangmen and 1200 ducats.

Jim: Very nice. It seems the team doesn't want to let their cores rest in foreign hands. In January 1642, Persia is attacked for its Indian province Ahmadabad. Khmer joins them.

Bob: Persia has been in wars with Poland and the Mamluks before and its population is weary. While technologically not that far behind Japan, it has much less troops or ships.

1642-05reconquestofahmadabad.png

Jim: Meanwhile, I might add, Japanese trade tech has improved and numerous canals are being build in Japanese India.

Bob: Even better, Momozono continues his aggressive diplomacy. A boundary dispute in 1642 gains Japan a claim on Guanxi, a province of Xia.

1642-05borderdispute.png

Jim: Wow! He's getting cores like candy from a baby!

Bob: Ehm, yes, quite. In any cases, in July 1642 Khmer becomes Japan's vassal. In addition, Persia gives Ahmadabad and Kathiawar, plus 200 ducats.

Jim: Leaving a Hindu province in Persian hands, no doubt to get it later with a religious liberation.

Bob: Indeed, planning is a good thing. But there's no rest for the weary, as in november 1642, Reconquest war is declared on Xia, Tibet and Korea rush to Xia's defence.

Jim: Japan's pace is relentless! The audience goes wild!

Audience: kill, kill, kill, kill

Bob: March 1643: Tibet is forced to give Lucknow to Japan's subject Malwa. Two months later, Xia is defeated thoroughly and is forced to cede Guanxi and convert to Shintoism.

Jim: With so much successes, Japan 's military becomes more Land oriented in 1644. Now Japanese victories will only become more one-sided.

Bob: While one foreign core remains, Japan broadens its horizon and declares another kind of war for a change. A war of unification is declared on Manipur after some suspect documents are brought up. After a token war, Manipur becomes subject.

Jim: Which makes the following move so stupid. In August 1644, Maharastra agrees to marry a Taira. However, Maharastra has no heir so this enable the Japanese emperor to claim its throne.

Bob: Although it shakes Japanese stability a bit, war is declared in October, in which Rajputana joins on the enemy's side. While the war rages on, the emperor instates the Dissolution Act in 1655, significantly reducing revolt risk.

1645--03dissolutionact.png

Bob: In September, Rajputana converts to Shinto, while Maharastra becomes Japan's subject.

Jim: With so many territorial gains, it's hard to keep up. Let's take a look at the Japanese empire:

1645-09empire.png

Bob: India is almost completely conquered, save for Rajputana. In 1646, Maharastra is given many gifts to placate the nobility. However, the Japanese nobility is giving money instead.

1646-03gifttostate.png

Jim: A good thing, as Japan's inflation is 20%, a bit high and more important, higher than Germany's 15%. Another boost to Japan's economy is that production tech 23 is reached, enabling the construction of mints. With great enthusiasm, many mints are constructed in mainland Japan.

Bob: In military matters, thinks have calmed down a bit, in order to strengthen the relations with Manipur and Maharastra and to focus in the economy. The only noetworthy thing is the annexation of the vassal state Vijayanagar in July 1647.

Jim: More action is to come, however, as the following month Buddhist Ratchaburi defects to Sunni Pegu. This give Japan an excuse for a war of religious liberation, which is gladly taken. War is declared. A month later Pegu cedes the province to Japan.

Bob: While territorial expansion is good and all, the contestants understand that technological development is key in winning this match. It's no surprise then that in 1648 the University of Kyoto is build, the first university in Japan. To spread education all over the Japanese empire, the emperor passes the School Establishment Act.

1648-06schoolact.png

Jim: Very nice. However, the team wants to end the turn with some more action. Remember that one Persian Hindu province that was left? Well, in November 1648 Japan declares a war of religious liberation to get that province.

Bob: Good timing. Persia is being beaten by Poland and Novgorod the last year or so and is in no shape to resist the Japanese forces. Soon its capital Fars is taken. In May 1649, Persia cedes Baroda to Malwa and retracts its claims on 4 foreign cores.

1649-12natcomp.png

Bob: In the last ten years, the Japanese economy has grown almost 30% in size, a good accomplishment. Due to Momozono's excellent diplomacy, Japan has gained many cores and two subject nations.

Jim: A very lucky turn for Japan, although I think hardly anyone would disagree that they deserved one. Don't go away, see you after the break!

Last edited:
Cool! Japan is only one province shy from owning (sometimes indirectly) all of India. I hope you manage to annex/inherit everything you have + China, Indochina, Korea, Tibet, The-Country-West-from-Tibet, and Rajputana. That will give the Germans a tough fight, plus would make your borders look nice ;)

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 13, second half: the tragedy of the Zaymoyskis

Jim: Welcome back, good fans! So how's the situation in Europe?

Bob: Hektor I still rules the dual kingdom of Germany-France, enlarged by the annexation of Bosnia. Spain and Great Britain are still fighting the War of Spanish Reconquest of Grao Para. After 24 year, still there is no end in sight for this pointless and devastating war. Due to the war, Ireland has declared independence.

Jim: Why Great Britain instead does not go for the Indian nations is anyone's guess. Also, somehow, the province of Metz has been wrestled from Lotharingen, however without Germany having a core on it.

Bob: In further domestic news, Germany's army has grown even more, counting 311 regiments. Luckily, only 87 cavalry regiments this time. Still, Germany is 'only' able to support 287 regiments, making army maintenance quite high, 1200 ducats per year at full spending.

1650-01germanforces.png

Jim: I see the contestants do not reduce the army this time, probably to keep the French throne secure. As their first move, they introduce Hektor's heir, Albrecht, to the public. As their second move, Aachen is invaded to unite it with Germany.

Bob: Brabant and Luxemburg have the funny idea that they can help Aachen against Germany. In two months the level 3 fort of Aachen is conquered and Aachen annexed. Its pitiful trade centre, in which for 182 ducats per year is traded, is demolished. Soon after Aachen's allies concede defeat, thereby regaining Germany's lost prestige due to removing the trade centre.

Jim: I see trouble is brewsing in the east.

Bob: What's the matter?

Jim: Poland's royal family, which is from the same dynasty as Germany's, has an astounding low legitimacy of 0%. Add to that its inflation of 49%, the highest in the world, and Hektor has an easy case convincing the European monarch that he is much more suited to lead Poland than its incompetent nephews.

Bob: You're right! In April 1650, a unification war is declared on Poland. Its allies, Spain, Hungary, Bohemia and Novgorod all dishonour the call to arms. France however, does not.

Jim: Ironically, as one great war begins, another ends. The war between Spain and Great Britain finally ends, with Spain paying 500 ducats to Great Britain.

1650-05polishunificationwar.png

Bob: While Poland's economy is about six times smaller than Germany's, it can still raise an impressive 100 regiments.

Jim: Indeed quite an achievement. However, it helps them little. As Poland's armies are in the east for the latest Persian war, German forces can assault Polish fortresses without encountering enemy forces. Only in September do the first battles take place.

1651-04polandconquests.png

Bob: After a year, a lot of Poland has been conquered and half the Polish army demolished. However, this comes at a price, as Germany's war exhaustion has risen by 8 points. This quick exhaustion is probably due to the many assaults and considerable attrition the German army faces.

Jim: In the end, it does not save the Polish king. In October 1651, Poland has been beaten raw and surrenders, agreeing to become a subject of Germany.

1651-10polandbecomessubject.png

Jim: Hektor is now king of Germany, France and Poland, ruling most of continental Europe.

Bob: To commemorate this, a Glorious Monument is build in Berlin.

Jim: Mmm. It seems Hektor wants another throne for himself. A claim has been forged on Montenegro, although after some failed attempts that increases Germany's infamy.

1651-12montenegro.png

Bob: Let me guess, a declaration of war and Montenegro becomes Germany's subject?

Jim: Ding ding ding, we have a winner. In April 1652, Montenegro becomes the third Union partner of Germany. To help clean up his international reputation, he orders the construction of an Embassy is build in Hum, next to Milan's capital. With only 0.60 magistrates per year, construction in the German kingdom is very limited.

Bob: An interesting little newsflash: in October 1652, Japan lays claim on Xia's throne. Hopefully that will lead to good things for Japan!

Jim: Sadly, things go badly for Hektor.

1653-04huntingaccident.png

Jim: This shows that even a king of four kingdoms, mightiest monarch of Europe, can fall prey to the tragedies of life. Albrecht's younger brother Albrecht becomes the next heir.

Bob: Poor Hektor. However, you have to admit he isn't good with name, do you?

Jim: Ssh. Wait, what? Oh no, not this...

1655-12albrechttheseconddies.png

Jim: Eight years old Albrecht also dies, leaving Hektor now without heir.

Bob: Well, perhaps this will cheer him up. In 1656 Government tech 30 reached, which means two things. A new Idea can be adopted and due to a new national consciousness fostered by this new technology, a new Casus Belli type is now available: nationalism.

1656-08nationalism.png

Bob: Also, the king appoints a Cabinet, greatly helping with international diplomacy.

Jim: Looks like Hektor is going to drown his sorrows in war. The contestants urge him to declare a war of Nationalism on Brabant, which the grief-strucken king does.

Bob: The contestants really want to speed things up, as they use the current instable state of mind of Hektor to convince him to declare another war of Nationalism a month later, on Pommerania.

Jim: This does not go well with the merchant elite. They complain and they get their wishes, making Germany become more Plutocratic.

Bob: Meanwhile, Warmia is taken from Pommerania in the name of German cultural unification.

Jim: Tragically, Hektor can't enjoy the fruits of victory, as in January 1657, Hektor I dies.

Bob: A great king, to say the least. The contestants will not be happy with this.

Jim: There are enough reasons for them to not be, Bob. The king died without any heirs left.The Zamoyski dynasty finds it end here, after ruling Bavaria and then Germany for 140 years. The highly influential German duke, Friedrich IV von Zweibrücken is chosen to be the new king.

1657-01zweibruckendynasty.png

Bob: Adding insult to injury, neither France, Poland nor Montenegro were inherited.

Jim: Guess Japan got lucky once again. To get back to the action, in July 1657 Brabant cedes Brabant and Breda to Germany. Breda's tiny trade centre is dismantled as per procedure.

Bob: To finish the wave of nationalism wars, a war of Nationalism is declared on Friesland. A month later it's annexed. Only Brabant and Pommerania remain in the German culture group.

Jim: I've seen the contestants eyeing Great Britain for a while now.

Bob: Can't blame them. They have Slesvig, a Danish province on which Germany has somehow gotten a core. Also, while the British have ended the foolish war with Spain, they are now in an equally pointless war with Napels for most of the decade now. British war weariness is at its max of 18 points.

Jim: I see. Perhaps that's explains why the contestants declared war on them.

Bob: Bold move.

Jim: Well, the British have no allies, are exhausted, have only around 100 regiments...

Bob: That's incorrect, the Iroquois are their allies.

Jim: Right, so they have one ally, who dishonours their call to arms, happy now?

Bob: Okay, okay.

1658-09waronGB.png

Jim: Moving on, Germany had its entire fleet with 38 regiments stationed before the English coast when war was declared. Quickly, the invasion force is landed in Kent before the Royal Navy can intercept it.

Bob: Lucky bastards.

Jim: With such a large force on the British isles, the conclusion of the war is foreclosed. In just three months most of England is conquered and about 40 British regiments destroyed. In February 1659, Great Britain surrenders, ceding Norfolk, Wessex and Slesvig and releasing Norway.

Bob: A poweful blow to an important rival of Germany. Its Infamy is now 22 out of 25, a bit dangerous. Luckily, infamy reduction is about 2 points per year.

Jim: With that, the end ends peacefully. An exciting turn to say the least.

Bob: Indeed. Both Japan and Germany expanded quite a lot, Japan gaining four provinces and Germany a whopping seven. Both nations also gained two subject nations into a Personal Union.

Jim: Indeed. The map of Europe has been quite redrawn by Germany, take a look:

1660-01mapofeurope.png

Bob: Can't say it's a pretty map. The only nation with decent borders is Ireland.

Jim: Function over form, Bob. Well people, hope you enjoyed this, until next time!

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when the two sides inherit all of their lands. I assume, as has been the case before, it will happen off camera though! Each of the sides are really shaping up to be world powers. The finale, when it comes, will be great!

With some lucky inheritances by Germany -- I honestly don't see how Germany can possibly lose at this point. Still, this remains entertaining, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

In the German map, I think the worst eyesore has to be that blob of Venice in Asia Minor. *shiver*
I think the fact all the majors have almost all of their territory but just not quite, makes the map unapealing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when the two sides inherit all of their lands. I assume, as has been the case before, it will happen off camera though! Each of the sides are really shaping up to be world powers. The finale, when it comes, will be great!
I hope so. The idea is to get an epic final battle and for that, both Germany and Japan must grow strong.

With some lucky inheritances by Germany -- I honestly don't see how Germany can possibly lose at this point. Still, this remains entertaining, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Well, if all goes to plan, Japan will be a mighty and large nation at the end, far surpassing any nation I´ve battled in Eu3. Even if Germany is slightly stronger, it will be a challenge to subdue Japan. Unless Germany is way stronger than Japan, the outcome is not foregone.

Well, Japan is expanding a lot and if they PU Ming, India + China is quite something...I think it will be interesting unless we all have some bad luck...
My planning is that Japan will have the whole of Asia before the Final Battle starts. Conquering all of it in fifty years will be interesting.

Can you even inherit with a new dynasty coming to the throne? Also, I know the AI likes to diploannex like crazy, perhaps giving Japan over to the AI will also help in inheriting -- provided the Japanese emperor dies.

Germany has a very nice selection of NI there, very powerful.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 14, first half: master of Ming

Jim: A very good day to all of you, loyal viewers. Good to see you, Bob.

Bob: Likewise, Jim. A nice day for a nice round of Double Domination!

Jim: So how's Japan doing?

Bob: Could be better. Inflation has risen to 22%, the government has adopted a new Idea, Excellent Shipwrights, something Japan doesn't need at all. Momozono is still alive, so no inheritances. The vassal Madurai has been annexed. The tech difference between Japan and Germany remains 29 levels. Nothing much else, really. Oh, yes, they still have their fleet.

Jim: That's always quite good news. However, you seemed to have missed a detail.

Bob: Oh?

Jim: During Germany's turn, I noticed in Ming lots of pretender rebels. A pretender has taken Ming's throne only a year before the Japanese team returned to the field.

Bob: Aaahh... a nice opportunity for Japan! With the low legitimacy of the pretender emperor, Japan has all the excuse for meddling in Ming. Indeed, in June 1660 the Second Japan-Ming Unification War starts!

1660-062ndmingunificationwar.png

Jim: Let's hope rebels don't spoil the party this time.

Bob: Don't worry, Japan has now superior numbers plus superior tech and rips through Ming forces like wet paper. They are greatly aided by Manchu armies, which take most of northern Ming. In just nine months, the war is over and Ming's crown is yet another addition to Momozono's collection.

1661-04mingpu.png

Jim: Wow! That's excellent! We have waited for this for a long, long time.

Bob: It's marvellous indeed. Ming's resources will greatly help the Japanese economy. And inheriting Ming will empower Japan immensely. However, Ming has another war to deal with. An alliance is quickly forged with Ming and immediately war is declared on the Tibetian alliance who has also invaded Ming at the same time Japan did. Korea, Xia and Lan Na feel the might of the Japanese alliance and soon all of them have extreme high war exhaustion.

Jim: Bad time for a monetary reform! A great loss of stability is the best of two bad options,

1662-04monetaryreform.png

Bob: Lady Luck does not smile upon the Japanese contestants. Still, the war goes well, as usual. In May 1662, Tiber surrenders, giving up 5 foreign claims, most of them on Japanese subject nations.

Jim: The next couple of years are quiet, spend on building up relations with Ming and building treasuries.

Bob: Until another of Momozono's diplomatic tour-de-forces. This time he convinces the courts of Europe that Madras belongs to Japan, rather than Great Britain.

1663-06boundarydisputemadras.png

Jim: Impressive move, even with Great Britain being the outcast of Europe.

Bob: Japan has now claims on two of Britain's Asian colonies. It seems the Japanese team takes the risk and declares its first war against an European power. In the war of reconquest against Great Britain, the numerous allies of Japan come to its aid, while Great Britain stands alone.

Jim: Not even the Iroquois?

Bob: No. The Japanese forces quickly overrun the small British Expeditionary forces. However, the death of Momozono's heir in January 1664 puts a damper on this,

Jim: Hopefully the emperor gets a new heir soon. Luckily, due to the devastation of the war with Japan, Xia has been rife with rebels and now some provinces have gone to Wu.

1664-08wuexpanded.png

Bob: Very nice. If only Wu would be inherited soon...Anyway, the British, tired of previous wars, agree to hand over the two contested colonies.

1664-09victoryoverGB.png

Jim: A nice little victory and proof that Japan can stand up to the big boys. And to add to the festivities, a new heir is born in December.

Bob: Again, a period of peace. This time the peace is not broken by Momozono's diplomacy but by Islamic conquest of Hindu people. In June 1666, Brunei conquers the Hindu province of Palembang. Japan intervenes and declares a religious war. Malacca joins its religious brethren in the fight.

Jim: In November, Brunei already submits and cedes Palembang. An embassy is build there to improve the Japanese international reputation.

Bob: Soon, Malacca surrenders as well. Koch goes to Orissa, Bhutan to Assam and Naga to Japan. Who says Japan can't be generous to its subjects?

Jim: I don't.

Bob: Yes, well, you know what I mean. Another religious conflict is already looming, though. Persia now also meddles in Indonesia, conquering Mataram. Japan once again jumps into the breach for its religious brothers and declares war on Persia.

Jim: Seems that Japan considers itself not only Defender of the Shinto Faith, but of all Eastern religions. But not only heathens are the target of Japan's armies, political enemies are dealt with as well. In Ming, many pretenders rise in the inland provinces to challenge the rule of the foreign emperor. The many Ming pretenders are destroyed by the Japanese support forces and the Ming indigenous armies.

1667-12mingpretenders.png

Bob: Japan can't afford to lose its control over Ming. Fighting continues in Indonesia, Persia and Ming for the next two years.

Jim: The conflict escalates as the emperor's spies produce Obscure documents that confirm the emperor's right on Xia's throne. The emperor has now claimed all of China and backs up his words with a declaration of war.

Bob: The weakened and friendless Xia is an easy prey. In April 1668 Xia becomes the last Chinese kingdom to submit to Japan.

Jim: Fantastic! Even better, in May Persia agrees to give Mataram to Japan, as well as 500 ducats. The many wars in this decade has greatly helped Japan so far.

Bob: Indeed. The economy is also strengthened by internal development. Many roads and markets are build in Japanese India.

Jim: As the turn ends, let's take a look at the Japanese achievements, shall we?

Bob: The numerous wars have brought Xia and Ming under Japanese co-rule.

1669-12japaneseempire.png

Bob: The religious conflicts secured Japan's influence in south-east Asia.

Jim: A bit of the advantage of Germany has been reduced in this turn.

1669-12natcomparison.png

Jim: Germany's economy is now only 50% larger than Japan's, with Japan still reaping the benefits of its neighbourhood bonuses. While Japan still lags behind, there is still plenty of fight left in the Japanese contestants. See you after the break!