• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

knul

General
17 Badges
Jan 15, 2006
  • Magicka
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
Table of Contents

Introduction

Turn 1: an explosive start
Turn 2: the Bavarian Beast
Turn 3: Emperor and near Emperor
Turn 4: French fury
Some announcements

Turn 5, first half: seii taishōgun
Turn 5, second half: recovery

Game patched to version 5.1 in 1500

Turn 6, first half: first step outside
Turn 6, second half: Protestants and a Pole

Turn 7, first half: no army, no navy
Turn 7, second half: a bad time for France

Turn 8, first half: Japan looks westward
Turn 8, second half: The German civil war

Turn 9, first half: never fight a land war in Asia
Turn 9, second half: the second wave of German wars

Turn 10, first half: don't listen to Sicilians
Turn 10, second half: Stubborn spanish

Turn 11, first half: revenge of the Japanese
Turn 11, second half: Japan Reloaded

Turn 12, first half: Japan: ascendancy
Turn 12, second half: Doppelkönig

Turn 13, first half: Cutthroat diplomacy
Turn 13, second half: the tragedy of the Zaymoyskis

Turn 14, first half: Master of Ming
Turn 14, second half: bashing the British

Turn 15, first half: universities everywhere
Turn 15, second half: Spain

Turn 16, first half: imperialism
Turn 16, second half: Sicily

Turn 17, first half: Persia, exhaustion and a surprise
Turn 17, second half: Furor Teutonicus

Turn 18, first half: towards Poland
Turn 18, second half: the last effort.

Japan´s Battle preparation.
Pre-Battle analysis.

The Final Battle, part 1: First Blood.
The Final Battle, part 2: the Great Retreat.
The Final Battle, part 3: doomstacks.
The Final Battle, part 4: Poland.
The Final Battle, part 5: fall of the two kingdoms.
The Final Battle, part 6: finale.

After-match interview.

Last edited:
1399-01welcome.png

Jim: Welcome, dear viewers, to an exciting match of "Double Domination"! The two teams are warming up and the audience is full of excitement and anticipation for what promises to be an interesting match. Bob and I will be the commentators for tonight. Good evening, Bob.

Bob: Good evening Jim.

Jim: While we wait for the teams to get ready, could you explain the game for those in the audience that are new to it?

Bob: Certainly Jim. In "Double Domination", two opposing teams will be send to the past in an alternative timeline with the state-of-the-art time travel machine the Chronodyne XS-35. Each team is assigned a country with which they have to try to dominate the world. Although none of the participants may take direct control over the country, they are allowed to do almost anything else, from infiltrating the government to manipulating major events. Essentially, both teams become the "Éminence Grise" behind the thrones of their respective countries.

While the XS-35 is the most advanced time travel machine on the market, it still can only maintain the space-time continuum protection shield for a few persons at a time. So the teams have to go back in time in turns. Each team gets ten years to steer their country, while the nation of the opposing team goes on without any influence from that team. After this ten year period, the teams switch.

Jim: So basically team A gets ten years to control its nation, while team B sits on the bench, then team B controls its nations for ten years while team A fiddles its thumbs, ad infinitum?

Bob: You're correct Jim, except that there is a time limit. In the year 1770 of the alternative timeline our teams compete in, the Final Battle commences.

Jim: Oh yes, the climatic Final Battle between the nations of both teams!

Bob: The Final Battle is the first and last war between the two controlled nations that starts at 1770 and ends in 1820. The attacking team controls its nation during the whole period: the teams no longer switch every ten years. The defending team remains here to watch how its nation fares. The attacking team must immediately declare war on the other nation and cannot sign any peace.
The goal for the attacking team is to control all the provinces of the defending team's nation and its vassals, in which case the attacker wins. If the attacker fails to do so before time runs out, the defending team wins.

Jim: You said the Final Battle is the first war, can you explain that?

Bob: Certainly. The "No rushing" rule states that the two controlled nations may not start wars against each other, each other's allies, each other's vassals or nations guaranteed by the other controlled nation until the Final Battle. To prevent the teams from exploiting this rule, both teams are forbidden to vassalize or guarantee nations that do not border their nations.

Jim: But Bob, while I'm certain that our teams have the sportmanship to adhere to these rules, the rulers of the controlled nations know nothing of this rule or indeed even of this game! So I can imagine it's possible for the nation whose team is not in play to declare war on the other controlled nation!

Bob: Good question, Jim. Yes, it is quite improbable to completely avoid war between the two nations, as any time one of the two controlled nations' team is out of play. The rules state that in such situation, the team in play must make peace as quickly as possible. Only a white peace or a peace in which the team in play pays money are allowed. The team in play is of course allowed to defend its own lands but may not invade the other nation or its allies and vassals.

Jim: Any other major rules we need to remember?

Bob: Well, there is the "No Turtling Rule", which states that the defending team is forbidden to build level 5 and 6 fortresses, as otherwise the Final Battle would become quite boring.

Jim: Thank you Bob, for this concise explanation of the rules. Well, I think this covers the most important rules of the game. We will take a look at the teams for tonight's match after the commercial break!

<BREAK>

1399-01chronodynexs-35.png

</BREAK>

Jim: Welcome back, to the pre-match analysis. With me is fellow commentator Bob.

Bob: Hi everyone. As the last preparations take place, we will take a look at the teams, team Germany and team Japan. Jim, can you tell about these teams?

Jim: Certainly, Bob. Team Germany will be the attacking team, controlling Bavaria and defending Team Japan will start with Daiymo Taira. We have sent a couple of satellites to the alternative timelines, so we can show you this satellite image of their starting territory:

1399-01startingposition.png

Both starting positions are within larger political entities, Bavaria being a non-Elector state within the Holy Roman Empire and Taira a Daimyo within the Japanese Empire. The first hurdle both teams have to take is to gain control over their states.

Bob: I can already hear the protests of viewers that the German team has a much better nation than the Japanese. Bavaria starts in the superior Western tech group, while Taira is within the Chinese tech group, one of the worst. Also, Bavaria can form Germany, an extremely powerful state. Isn't this lack of balance a problem?

Jim: Well Bob, you have some good arguments there, but do not worry, the IDDA (International Double Domination Association) has an answer to this: handicaps. Team Germany must adhere to two handicaps that limit the power of its controlled nation.

The first handicap is that the German team must have the Decentralisation slider maxed. If the slider is not fully towards Decentralisation, the only slider move allowed is a move towards Decentralisation.The German team is allowed to choose options in events or decisions that move the slider toward Centralization or Free Subject, but afterwards can only use its slider moves towards Decentralisation.

Bob: a good thing that the German team can enact decision that move toward Centralisation, otherwise they could never form the German nation!

Jim: Yes, that is one of the reasons for that part of the handicap. The second handicap is that the German team cannot use the "Imperialism" or "Holy War" Casus Belli.

Bob: Sounds like the German team has some serious handicaps to overcome! I hope this will make for an interesting match.

Jim: So do I, Bob, the audience deserves no less! Dear viewers, see you next time!

Summary

Nations: Bavaria, Taira.
Version: Divine Wind with beta patch of 30 March. (Patched to 5.1 in A.D. 1500)
Settings: Normal difficulty, Low Agressiveness, all other settings standard.

I play Bavaria and Taira in turns of ten years each. I will not declare war on the other nation until 1770. Any war declared by the other nation's AI will be resolved as quickly as possible and with a return to status quo. In 1770 Bavaria (probably Germany by then) will declare war on Japan, which will last for the rest of the game. During 1770-1820 I will continously play as Bavaria/Germany If I can manage to control every japanese province (and those of their eventual vassals) before the end of the game, Germany wins. Otherwise Japan wins.

To counterbalance Germany a bit, Bavaria/Germany must go fully Decentralized and I cannot use the Imperialism and Holy War Casus Belli while playing Bavaria/Germany.

Last edited:
Interesting idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I wonder if you'll end up spending most of your time trying to fix the messes that the AI gets you into. Although, that will probably serve as a natural brake on expansion. If you expand too fast, the AI will probably collapse your country to rebels while you're away. Banning Bavaria from forming the HRE would probably also be a good idea, for balance.

I can also think of a few gamey tactics that could be used in this sort of scenario. For instance, if the defenders owned one province in the middle of the territory of a major power, that would be a tricky one to capture. I'm sure you're not going to try anything like that though.

I like

This is delightfully bizzare.
I like this, a lot.
Thanks. :)

if you are up against AI , that will be very easy :D
I've no idea what you mean.

Interesting idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I wonder if you'll end up spending most of your time trying to fix the messes that the AI gets you into. Although, that will probably serve as a natural brake on expansion. If you expand too fast, the AI will probably collapse your country to rebels while you're away. Banning Bavaria from forming the HRE would probably also be a good idea, for balance.

I can also think of a few gamey tactics that could be used in this sort of scenario. For instance, if the defenders owned one province in the middle of the territory of a major power, that would be a tricky one to capture. I'm sure you're not going to try anything like that though.
It will certainly be interesting how it's like to only be in charge of a country half of the time. This is the first time for me, so I have no idea. One thing I am worried is that I have to restructure armies every time I switch countries: in my test game the AI does bizarre things with fleets and armies. For the rest, I just hope the AI will sit on its hands while I govern the other country.

I did not ban Bavaria from forming the HRE as I of course will unite Germany. I do not think that forming the HRE is that much more powerful than forming Germany.

In general, I will not use overly gamey tactics. Your example, Rho, isn't that gamey as I don't think that by 1770 there are any major nations besides Germany and Japan :) But in other cases were I find out some loophole or exploit, the referee will step in and rules it out. I will add or change rules during the campaign whenever I think it improves the game and/or the AAR: screw the rules, I make them!

Not so bizarre actually. Storey's done something similar a few times. His most famous effort is Three Countries One Goal. Good luck knul!

Interesting...
You'll probably haver to spend a coupe years cleaning up the AI's mess but...nice Chronodyne
Probably. On the other hand, I will play Normal difficulty, which I find much easier than the Very Hard setting I normally play at. The fact that I only play a nation half the time should counterbalance the low difficulty setting.

Does the winning team get a state of the art VCR and a 7 seater family car? :p

This has made me want to dig up Super Smash TV, even though its a totally different genre.
Even better: they get an entire planet of unwitting humans to play with!

A really interesting idea; count me in!
This looks interesting. I'll be watching. :)
Looking forward to it.
I'll try not to disappoint you guys :)

Not so bizarre actually. Storey's done something similar a few times. His most famous effort is Three Countries One Goal. Good luck knul!
I have never read any of Storey's AARs. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Although I never seen an AAR where the player plays two countries in competition with each other and this idea was original to me, it doesn't surprise me that much that I am not the first to think of it. No matter, I was not aiming to win a price for most original AAR.

You weren't kidding when you said your next AAR would be completely different. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

I did not ban Bavaria from forming the HRE as I of course will unite Germany. I do not think that forming the HRE is that much more powerful than forming Germany.

It depends on how the game you're playing turns out. If some Emperor before you gets very expansive and adds a lot of provinces to the Empire, then it can get vaguely ridiculous. The best/worst example I've ever had went something like this:

1. Burgundy managed to beat back France and expanded through all the French territory.
2. At some point, Burgundy was Emperor, so added many of their French provinces to the Empire.
3. There were no suitable candidates for Emperor within the Empire, so Castille became Emperor.
4. Since Castille bordered with Burgundy, they had adjacent Imperial territory, and could join their provinces into the Empire as well.
5. Castille inherited the throne of Portugal.
6. I became Emperor and united it.

I ended up getting not just all the normal Imperial territory plus France and Iberia, but also all Burgundian, Castillian and Portuguese colonies, which amounted to most of the Americas and a fair chunk of Africa. I think it's safe to say that was a little more powerful than forming Germany.

Of course, that sort of thing happens only once in a blue moon, but that's where my instinctive "Don't allow HRE unification! It's overpowered!" reaction comes from.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 1: an explosive start

Jim: Welcome back, everyone! The match has started with the insertion of the Japanese team.

Bob: And they are off for a flying start. They've already infiltrated the army and have ordered to expand Taira's army.

Jim: Not only the military, Bob. The participants have already strengthened the reign of the Daimyo, increasing the Centralisation. They are also already active diplomatically, securing a royal marriage with the Minamoto clan and influencing the Daimyo to hire ninjas.

Bob: An expensive move, as the National Decision to hire ninjas costs 100 ducats.

Jim: Still, it seems worth it, as the participants are making claims on the northern neighbour Fujiwara.

Bob: Within the Japanese empire, the way for the Daimyo's to expand is to lay claims on provinces, which creates a core when successful but also raising infamy by five.

Jim: Okay, I see that they have succesfully claimed Totomi...and they now also have claimed Musashi...and they go for broke and even claim Echigo!

Bob: Wow! Their ninjas are shredding the opposition to ribbons! Taira's claim missions have an astonishing 99% success chance and only a 55% chance of being detected! No wonder they claimed three provinces in one year.

Jim: The ninjas are not only useful for claiming provinces: they can also bring prestige to Taira by killing the Kanrei.

1401-02Kanreishead.png

Bob: Always good to have prestige, Jim. The Japanese team will surely be glad with this.

Jim: The Japanese team keeps up the pace and declares a War of Reconquest on Fujiwara in December 1401, who is joined by its ally Minamoto. Seems the Japanese team favours a high-risk high-reward approach.

Bob: Evidently, as they have convinced the Taira Daimyo to become a field general, even when the Daimyo has no heir yet. Not a bad move, as the Daimyo is a great general, our military analyst considers him to be a Shock 3 general.

Jim: the campaign is focussed on the north, where after two battles the Taira army has annihilated the Fujiwara army. Four Fujiwara provinces are besieged.

Bob: Meanwhile the Minamoto army is laying sieging in south Taira.

Jim: Indeed, Bob. Also, the bureaucracy is expanded. Probably this is because with a better bureaucracy the participants have a tighter grip on the Taira society.

Bob: Besides, it's not like the political agents of our participants have much to do right now.

Jim: All too true. I see on the monitor that Fujiwara has surrendered. They agree to give the three claimed provinces to Taira. Well, our participants have now conquered three provinces in as many years. Let's take a look at this false-colour satellite image:

1403-07Afterthefirstwar.png

Bob: Don't count on them keeping up that pace, Jim. The infamy of Taira is already quite high and inflation has risen with a couple of percent to pay for the ninjas, spies and soldiers.

Jim: Still, so far they go from strength to strength. The Taira army has now moved south and attacked the Minamoto army after a failed assault. The Taira army pursues the enemy... and annihilates it!

Bob: Ouch! The Japanese team shows us how to properly execure "divide and conquer". At the start of the war, Taira forces were outnumbered two to one, but they have negated this numerical superiority by dealing with both enemy armies one bye one. Strangely, the security branch of the Japanese team has used its spies to make two claims on Minamoto provinces, Tauba and Hiairma. As Taira has no Casus Belli on Minamoto, they can't enforce these claims without a heavy infamy penalty.

Jim: Probably they save those claims for a future war. I see that the southernmost Daimyo, Tachibana, has declared war on Minamoto and is now sieging all its provinces.

Bob: In 1406 Tachibana and Minamoto sign a peace in which Minamoto gives a province to Tachibana. The peace enable Taira to siege Minamoto provinces. Within a couple of months Minamoto concedes defeat to Taira.

Jim: With Taira's infamy now close to its limit, our participants can do little but wait for their turn to end. The only notable achievement during the last four years is that the team completed its first mission.

1408-05bushidocode.png

Bob: The referee will assign missions to both teams. If a team completes the mission, it is rewared in some way. What's more is that Minamoto is no longer the Shogun: Taira is now the Taikun, the first step to becoming Shogun.

Jim: With that the first turn for Japan has ended. The Japanese team is teleported back and I see a lot of content faces. And with good reason: their opening turn was quite good.

1409-12tairasituation.png

Bob: Certainly Jim. As you can see in the satellite image, the team has expanded Taira's territory with three provinces. With two cores on Minamoto, the team is well on the way to unite Japan under their supervision.

Jim: The German team is now teleported to Bavaria, anno domini 1410. What has happened in the ten years that Bavaria was autonomous, Bob?

Bob: Well, it seems that Bavaria has allied with Hungary, that will please the German team. Even better, Bavaria has gained four cores on Sudety, Franken, Konstanze and Linz, as this image shows.

1410-1Bavariancores.png

Bob: Furthermore, they have adapted the Idea of having a Grand Army, have recruited an army organizer who increase forcelimits and still have an army larger than the force limit!

Jim: Well, if the Japanese start is representative, I would say that this is an ideal situation for the German team to start some wars?

Bob: It would be, Jim, if only Bavaria wasn't ruled by a regency.

Jim: Ouuhhh. The German team will not be happy with that! Nonetheless, they start with much vigour, convincing the regency council that with the Emperor watching over us and Hungary as ally, we don't need such a large army and instead should praise the Lord by forcing the Serf to compulsory Church Attendance.

Bob: The participants are also backing up major cities and local nobles, increasing the Decentralisation of Bavaria as the rules dictate. With this the Decentralisation of Bavaria as measured on the Brockenheim scale is now maximum.

Jim: With the church enriched by the donations of all the compulsory church attendants and with a little nudge from a participant, the church institutes Gilded Iconography, enriching Bavaria's cultural tradition. Soon after that the political brach of the German team convinces the regency council that compulsory Church Attendency is a violation of the freedom and rights of the serfs and that a proud military nation like Bavaria should have top notch Military Drill instead.

Bob: The German team can be very convincing.

Jim: The serfs are emboldened by this council speech, however, and demand even more freedom. Our participants make many deals behind closed doors to convince the nobles to agree with the demands of the serfs.

1414-04petitionforredress.png

Bob: As I said, very convincing.

Jim: I think this is a bit of a ruse of the German team, to distract the population from the fact that Constables are now installed everywhere, to increase taxes.

Bob: That big army needs a lot of ducats. Inflation is rising at an alarming rate.

Jim: But what do I see there? I zoom in...yes, I saw correctly, Karl I has risen to the throne! The German team is now able to start wars. And they do so by declaring war on The Palatinate, Franken's owner.

Bob: Smart move. The German team has also a mission to get Franken, for which they lose two infamy when succesful. The Palatinate is also at war with Burgundy and has only two weak allies.

Jim: After one battle and some sieges the Palatinate and Bavaria sign a peace in 1418. Bavaria gets Franken and the Palatinate becomes Bavaria's vassal. The referee modifies the timeline so that Bavaria loses two infamy and gives the German team another mission: Conquer Ansbach.

Bob: A very nice mission. A bordering province and Ansbach is only allied with Mainz, Luneburg and the Teutonic order, the first two are weak OPMs and the latter one too far away to be dangerous.

Jim It seems the German team agrees with you, Bob. They declare war on Ansbach immediately and the three allies join. In 1419 Bavaria vassalizes Mainz and annexes Ansbach.

Bob: With two Electors as vassals, Bavaria is well on its way to become Emperor! Let me show a satellite image to the audience.

1420-01bavaria.png

Jim: Yes, the German team has had an opening turn as succesful as the Japanese. Two conquered provinces and two vassals, the German team has nothing to be ashamed of. They end their turn still at war with the Teutonic order and a couple of OPM nations, confident that even without their guidance Bavaria will come out ahead. With that this episode of Double Domination: Germany vs Japan is at an end and I say to our viewers: adieau and until next time!

Last edited:
I loved your Ming AAR and this looks like such an original and fun idea! I'm really looking forward to how it turns out, good luck knul!
:)

Edit: While I typed that the first post came up, probably another edit coming shortly to comment on that!

Edit 2: Not much to add, loving the sports commentator style and both teams are looking very promising!

Last edited: