• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enjoying the AAR very much. Must say I'm rooting for Japan though.

A thought about the vanishing army thing... I haven't played as Japan yet myself, but if the game processes the OPM taking over the Taira as an annexation, it would make sense that Dai Viet is released and the army and navy vanishes, since the armies and vassals were technically Taira's. Might work differently for a human forming Japan vs the AI doing it as well.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 8, first half: Japan looks westward

Jim: It's a beautiful day for watching a nice turn of Double Domination. Don't you agree, Bob?

Bob: Certainly Jim. We're at turn eight, in the year 1540, with our contestants entering a serene and peaceful..wait, make that a war-torn and bloodied Japan.

1540-01warwithBrunei.png

Jim: Well, looks like Japan is doing all right.

Bob: True, but at a price: after four years the losses in the Japanese-Bruneian Religious War are higher than all of Taira's and Japan's wars combined.

Jim: Damn. By the way, I see a lot of ships.

Bob: Indeed, Jim. Apparently after losing their entire navy twice, the Japanese have decided to change things and build a grand navy. Now the Imperial Navy has 5 Big Ships, 44 galleys and 22 transports.

Jim: Good to see that the Emperor has some initiative even without our contestants controlling him. However, their influence is still important. At their arrival they use their control over the Shinto priest to make the intellectuals more powerful, making Japan yet more Innovative. Also, the construction of workshops all over Japan is ordered.

Bob: Japan is now Innovative enough, I might add, to be able to Westernise!

Jim: Correct. But for that they need contact with superior cultures.

Bob: Anyway, in 1541 a peace is signed with Brunei, in which Japan gains Binh Tri Thien, a very mild peace.

Jim: Seems to me that Japan rather wants to focus on domestic issues. In 1542, the top diplomat is replaced by a Master of the Mint. Furthermore, the Emperor retracts his support of artists and give his attention to colonists. So he changed the idea of being Patron of the Arts to the concept of Colonial Ventures. Why would he want colonists?

Bob: I have an inkling. Still, it's a very destabilising move.

Jim: Good thing then that the Imperial Natural Scientist intervenes in 1545.

1544-02greatnaturalscientist.png

Jim: I can imagine the smiles on the Japanese team.

Bob: Me too, Jim! But the team does not sit on its laurels. In that year, a currency revaluation is proposed by the new Master of the Mint, which is accepted by our contestants.

1544-12currencyrevaluation.png

Jim: Japanese inflation is now at 9.3%. And there is more. After two years already, Colonial Ventures is abandoned for a Quest for the New World.

Bob: More like Quest for the Western Part of the Old World.

Jim: What do you mean?

Bob: To Westernise, a country needs to border a superior culture. To fully Westernise, only a Western European country will do. It's clear that our contestants have convinced the Emperor to look for Europe, rather than wait for the Europeans to come to Asia.

Jim: Hmmm, clever. The contestants use their knowledge of the world map to steer Japan properly, as Japan on its own would never have done this.

Bob: An explorer is hired and given a ship. By gaining military access to Rajputana and then Swahili, the lone ship is able to circumvent Cape Hope. In August 1545 the explorer encounters the British, who have established a colony in Benin.

Jim: That's quick!

Bob: Certainly. Japanese diplomats are already trying to convince the British to accept a Japanese province. The British, however, are not enthusiastic.

Jim: Luckily, a great party increases Japanese stability to 3, making it ready for Westernisation.

1547-01cherryblossomfestival.png

Bob: More good news. After only three years of negotiation, the British accept the province of Binh Tri Thien for free.

1548-04provincesold.png

Jim: And immediately the contestants push for Westernisation! Guess you were right, Bob.

1548-11westernisetomuslim.png

Bob: I've seen more Asian nations compete in DD, Jim, it's a common strategy. Too bad that Japan can't perform the second step in Westernisation, as stability is now -2 and it takes almost two years to regain stability.

Jim: <brings hand to earpiece> I'm getting some strange news, Bob. Can you change the viewscreen to Europe?

Bob: Of course, but why? Ohh, I see...

1548-12Germanyisunified.png

Jim: What's with those people?! Don't they realize how anticlimactic and undramatic it is to have these grand unification events take place off-screen?!

Bob: Jim, they have no clue they are in the show...

Jim: That's no excuse! Well, okay, I guess you are right...

Bob: But why is Germany suddenly dishonourable scum? They haven't conquered anything new.

Jim: I wanted to save that until the second half, but we are forced to do it know. You see, this alternative timeline is a bit different from your average alternative timeline. The German unification in this timeline is a bit harsher.

Bob: In what regards?

Jim: Well, first, there is an additional requirement that the nation must be at maximum stability. Second, the consequences of unification are a bit different. Take a look:

germanunification.png

Jim: As Germany is basically a nationalistic alternative to the Holy Roman Empire, forming it leads to the dismantling of the Empire. As you can imagine, such a drastic change in European politics is extremely destabilising for the country. Furthermore, by upsetting the status quo so vehemently, Germany's reputation will crash, as the upstart nation will be seen as a threat to the balance of power. Lastly, the European nations will always see Germany as a threat, which makes it difficult for Germany to keep its reputation clean.

Bob: Harsh. In this timeline Germany doesn't even get improved taxes.

Jim: Still, Germany will become a powerhouse even with such an uphill start. I look forward to the second half and see how the German team deals with that. In the meantime, here's a satellite picture from Japanese exploration in Asia. See you later!

1548-12asia.png

Last edited:
Crafty. A great move by the Japanese team. It looks like the German team will have an uphill battle when their turn starts. Can't wait to see what they do.

Nice for Japan. I have a feeling they won't be a walkover when the Germans finally reach them.

As for Germany, it's always cool to see the AI take advantage of these game mechanics that seem to usually see use only by the human player. It's going to be a fun decade for Germany.

Enjoying the AAR very much. Must say I'm rooting for Japan though.

A thought about the vanishing army thing... I haven't played as Japan yet myself, but if the game processes the OPM taking over the Taira as an annexation, it would make sense that Dai Viet is released and the army and navy vanishes, since the armies and vassals were technically Taira's. Might work differently for a human forming Japan vs the AI doing it as well.
Always good to hear that a reader is enjoyed my writing. As for the vanished army and navy, I agree with your idea that it is probably another quirck with the Daimyo system and Japan inheriting Taira. There has so far been no more problems with Japan inexplicably losing armies or navies and Bavaria has had no problems. Doesn't explain the first loss of the Taira navy. Oh well.

Crafty. A great move by the Japanese team. It looks like the German team will have an uphill battle when their turn starts. Can't wait to see what they do.
If you had read my previous AAR, this move would not have come as a surprise. The German team will be action-packed indeed.

Nice for Japan. I have a feeling they won't be a walkover when the Germans finally reach them.

As for Germany, it's always cool to see the AI take advantage of these game mechanics that seem to usually see use only by the human player. It's going to be a fun decade for Germany.
I hope that Japan will eventually become a great challenge for Germany. At the moment they are way weaker. Luckily Japan will not face as formidable enemies as Germany will.

As for the AI taking advantage of mechanics, remember that the unification decision is coded so that the AI will always choose it. As soon as Mecklenburg was inherited, the AI automatically took the decision. The same thing happens with say Westernisation; the AI will always take it. Problem is, the AI, unlike human players like me, will not actively create the circumstances for these decisions to be available.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 8, second half: The German civil war

Jim: Welcome back, people. An exciting second half is in store for us, with a newly formed Germany beset with opportunities and challenges.

Bob: The Referee wishes to make an announcement.

Jim: Good day, Referee, welcome to our studio.

Referee: Good day Jim and Bob, thank you for your hospitality. Well, let me get to the point. As arbiter in this match, it's my job to make the competition fair. As Germany is a very powerful country, I must handicap the German team with another rule.

Jim: For the audience, I would like to remind that the German team has already two handicaps: it must stay at full Decentralisation and cannot use the Holy War and Imperialism Casus Belli.

Referee: That is indeed correct, Jim. To prevent Germany from explosive expansion, a third handicap is introduced: Germany may only start wars with a Casus Belli. In addition, peace deals with nations with no Casus Belli, only Concede Defeat may be asked. In practice, Germany will not have a Casus Belli against alliance members of enemy nations and thus cannot vassalize, annex or take land from those allies. Germany is allowed to give anything it wants in a peace.

Jim: Interesting choice, Referee. Hopefully this will lead to an even more interesting match.

Referee: If I think that further along the match Germany is still too strong, I might introduce more handicaps. Also, I would like to announce a addendum to a rule applicable for both Germany and Japan. Previously there was a rule that said that both nation can only annex or vassalise nations that border them, in order to prevent the contestants to get into conflict early.

This rule is too strict and has been loosened: both nations can only annex or vassalise neighbouring nations on other continents: on their own continent they can do whatever they want if they stay within the other rules.

I will now go to the X-35. Goodbye, gentlemen.

Jim: Goodbye, Referee, thank you for coming.

Audience: Get on with it!

Jim: Right, right, back to the game! Bob, can you give an overview of the current situation?

Bob: My pleasure, Jim. With an Infamy of 29 out of 25, Germany is still considered Dishonourable Scum for claiming rulership over all German people. Still, Germany managed to become Defender of the Catholic Faith. While Maximilian I Joseph, the first German king, did expand the army to 107 regiments, he failed to anticipate that with the Holy Roman Empire gone, Germany can only support 90 regiments. Due to this, 400 ducats out of the yearly income of 770 ducats goes to pay the soldiers. In foreign news, Norway is no longer in a Personal Union with France.

Jim: Thank you, Bob. Looks like the German situation is quite positive overall. The contestants take decisive action once they arrive in Germany. First they disband 20 regiments to greatly lower maintenance. Second, they once again hire a Master of the Mint, which is fired consistently when the contestants are absent. Apparently the downtimers know nothing about inflation!

Bob: Well, they don't actually.

Jim: Well, yeah, still, at least they can have the courtesy not to dismiss the Masters of the Mint! Anyway, in May Military developments take place, forging the German army into a well-oiled machine.

1550-05mildevelopment.png

Bob: Looks like this has emboldened our contestants.

Jim: Indeed. A War of Reunification is declared on Würtemburg in August 1550, starting the German Civil War.

Bob: Isn't that a bit overdramatic, Jim?

Jim: Certainly not. In the same month, Brunswick, Salzburg, Baden, Switzerland, Bohemia, Holstein and Saxe-Lauenburg declare Punitive Wars on Germany, with the Hansa joining on Baden's side and Denmark on Holstein's. In September Frankfurt also declares a Punitive War on Germany. This means that basically all of the German princes are at war with Germany. Look at this: in red are Germany's enemies.

1550-09germanwars.png

Jim: And here's a list of all the wars.

1550-09currentwars.png

Bob: Hey, Japan has again declared a Religious War on Brunei.

Jim: Focus, Bob. As there are so many wars going on at the same time, it's difficult to say what's exactly happening. Battles are fought all over Germany, with most of the battles won by the excellently drilled German Heer.

Bob: With swift results. In September Würtemburg is already annexed after only two months fighting. Also, Salzburg is forced to Concede Defeat.

Jim: Fighting remains grim. In January 1551 the Swiss Army is destroyed by an German army led by Maximilian I Joseph.

Bob: Also, Great Britain proudly reports to have discovered Japan. Ambassadors all over Europe were surprised by the yawns of the German diplomats.

Jim: Can you please pay attention to the history-changing war? Anyway, in February the Hansa army is annihilated by the Northern German army.

Bob: Sadly, a month later the eastern German army is itself annihilated by the Bohemian army, who is as well drilled as the Germans. A big setback, as 20 regiments are lost, almost a quarter of the entire German forces.

Jim: Damn! That's got to hurt. Luckily, the armies in the north and west have more success. In May Brunswick Concedes Defeat, while in November Frankfurt does the same.

Bob: Good progress.

Jim: In 1552 more successes are gained. After a failed assault on Berlin, the weakened Bohemian army is wiped out by the northern army. Intimidated by this, in June Baden signs a white peace and Switzerland concedes defeat, as half of Switzerland was conquered by Maximilian I. Here's an overview of the current war situation.

1552-06thewarsofar.png

Bob: I see Styria has joined the war on the enemies' side as well. Still, the war is all but over.

Jim: You're right, Bob. In September Saxe-Lauenburg concedes defeat and Bohemia signs a white peace. Only in April 1553 does Holstein concede defeat, ending this brutal war.

Bob: While the German princes thought they could bring down Germany while it was on an offensive war, the German army has shown its might. While its losses were significant, it was able to dish out considerable damage and managed to achieve overall victory.

Jim: What's more, as none of the signed peace treaties damaged Germany's reputation, in 1554 Germany is no longer considered Dishonourable Scum by the international community! Safe at last.

Bob: Maybe that's why Germany declares another Reconquest War in May 1555, this time on Tirol.

Jim: Probably. Also, Tirol is one of the few German principalities that has no truce with Germany or borders a great power. However, it is allied with Poland, which has a significant army

Bob: But not too impressive in quality. In August 22 Polish regiments are wiped out and in September 20 more are destroyed.

Jim: This leads to an interesting battle:

1555-12battleofthezamoyskis.png

Jim: The Polish army is led by the Polish king of the Zamoyski dynasty. The Hessian-German army is led by the Hessian duke Wilhelm III, also a Zamoyski. This duke, of course, is both a vassal and a cousin of Maximilian I Joseph Zamoyski. It's basically a large-scale family feud.

Bob: Nice. It's a bloody family feud, as in July 1556 yet another 10 Polish regiments are annihilated and in October yet another 22 regiments. The siding of Novgorod on Polish side does not slow down the German steamrolling Poland, especially as Novgorod has not even reached Land tech level 18.

Jim: This is not a war, it's a slaughter. In January 1557 the German king finally shows mercy and signs a peace with Tirol, getting Lienz and 350 ducats. After that Poland as alliance leader concedes defeat.

Bob: So finally some peace.

Jim: Which is not to last for long, as in June a Reconquest War is declared on Salzburg. Austria, Switzerland and Trier comes to Salzburg's aid, with Trier taking leadership.

Bob: Trier?

Jim: It's a south German principality, but that's not important right now. In August Salzburg is annexed. While the war continues, the German citizens, fed up with the constant warring, demand more freedom, which is given to them. It's clear now that the contestants wants to have very Free Subjects.

Bob: In the same month, Trier and its alliance concedes defeat. Somehow this angers the German liberals. The conservative German nation becomes less conservative.

1558-07liberalsangry.png

Jim: Alas, even though all social layers in German oppose the many wars, another Reconquest war is declared, Meissen this time. A feeble alliance lead by Styria opposes this aggression but to no avail. Meissen is annexed the next month. At the end of 1558 the Hansa is attacked, whose allies Norway and Baden abandon her and Defender of the Reformed Faith Great Britain refrains from interfering in this war against its religious brother.

Bob: Let me guess, the Hansa is annexed?

Jim: Of course. In January 1559 the great trade centre of Lübeck is in German hands. And yet another war is declared, now against Bremen. In June this former Free Imperial city is part of the German kingdom. In August Styria and its allies concede defeat, ending a decade of Germans fighting against Germans.

Bob: This half was certainly action packed. As it would take too long to list all German conquests, this up-to-date political map of Central Europe shows how Germany has grown.

1559-10mapofeurope.png

Jim: I hope all this action has entertained our fine audience. Hopefully I see you all next time on Double Domination!

Last edited:
@Knul: Good to see you have a history of sneaky tactics. (Although I was partly pretending to be a viewer of the DD show)

Even the referee realizes the German team is the better team, as shown by the new handicaps. Still, despite the handcuffs Germany is growing impressively!

Is the new unification decision for Germany one of your own devising or one that was introduced in the last beta of DW? I've not played a German nation in a long time.

@Knul: Good to see you have a history of sneaky tactics. (Although I was partly pretending to be a viewer of the DD show)

Even the referee realizes the German team is the better team, as shown by the new handicaps. Still, despite the handcuffs Germany is growing impressively!

Hahaha, that's too much honour. Selling a province to gain a Western neighbour IMO is more a standard tactic than something clever I invented. I'm quite sure it's part of the toolbox of any veteran player.

Even with these handicaps, I fear that Germany will still be too powerful for the Final Battle to be interesting. Still, I don't want to handicap Germany to such a degree that its turns are uninteresting. A difficult balancing act.

Is the new unification decision for Germany one of your own devising or one that was introduced in the last beta of DW? I've not played a German nation in a long time.

Good question. Let me make it very clear here: the unification decision presented here is modded by me. The Divine Wind German Unification Decision is as follows:

Code:
country_decisions = {

german_nation = {
		potential = {
			NOT = { exists = GER }
			NOT = { tag = HRE }
			OR = { 
				primary_culture = hannoverian
				primary_culture = pommeranian
				primary_culture = hessian
				primary_culture = saxon
				primary_culture = bavarian
				primary_culture = prussian
				primary_culture = rheinlaender
			}
		}
		allow = 
		{
			owns = 46	# Mecklenburg
			owns = 50	# Brandenburg
			owns = 52	# Altmark
			owns = 53	# Lüneburg
			owns = 57	# Hannover
			owns = 58	# Anhalt
			owns = 61	# Dresden
			owns = 62	# Leipzig
			owns = 63	# Erfurt
			owns = 67	# Franken

is_core = 46	# Mecklenburg
			is_core = 50	# Brandenburg
			is_core = 52	# Altmark
			is_core = 53	# Lüneburg
			is_core = 57	# Hannover
			is_core = 58	# Anhalt
			is_core = 61	# Dresden
			is_core = 62	# Leipzig
			is_core = 63	# Erfurt
			is_core = 67	# Franken

war = no
		}
	  effect = {
			GER = {	
				german_region = {
					add_core = GER
					base_tax = 1
				}
			}
			centralization_decentralization = -2
			merchants = 1
			prestige = 0.20
			change_tag = GER
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
}

Basically, I have stripped all positive consequences from the decisions save the cores and tag change. Added are a massive stab hit, a big infamy hit, the decomposition of the HRE and the addition of the Deutsche Drohung modifier. Here's the code for my modded German Unification Decision:

Code:
country_decisions = {

german_nation = {
		potential = {
			NOT = { exists = GER }
			NOT = { tag = HRE }
			OR = { 
				primary_culture = hannoverian
				primary_culture = pommeranian
				primary_culture = hessian
				primary_culture = saxon
				primary_culture = bavarian
				primary_culture = prussian
				primary_culture = rheinlaender
			}
		}
		allow = 
		{
			owns = 46	# Mecklenburg
			owns = 50	# Brandenburg
			owns = 52	# Altmark
			owns = 53	# Lüneburg
			owns = 57	# Hannover
			owns = 58	# Anhalt
			owns = 61	# Dresden
			owns = 62	# Leipzig
			owns = 63	# Erfurt
			owns = 67	# Franken

is_core = 46	# Mecklenburg
			is_core = 50	# Brandenburg
			is_core = 52	# Altmark
			is_core = 53	# Lüneburg
			is_core = 57	# Hannover
			is_core = 58	# Anhalt
			is_core = 61	# Dresden
			is_core = 62	# Leipzig
			is_core = 63	# Erfurt
			is_core = 67	# Franken

stability = 3

war = no
		}
	  effect = {
			GER = {	
				german_region = {
					add_core = GER
				}
			}

dismantle_hre = yes

badboy = 30

stability = -6

change_tag = GER

add_country_modifier = {

name = "deutsche_drohung"

duration = -1
			}

}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
}

With the new rules, Germany's border in the east is going to be horrible for a long time unless you get lucky with border disputes or something >.<

Oh boy. Japan has an uphill battle against it. Especially since any fight against Ming is going to be time consuming and difficult...

The AI ruined the fun by forming Germany off screen. :( Good job in handling half of Europe trying to wipe you out. Now Germany can go about eating up each nation that it has cores on.
It is good to see that Japan has started westernising. Maybe it will give them a much needed advantage over Ming. :)

Yes! Go Germany!
When i saw that they were over infamy limit i expected them to suffer, but it seems that they managed to recover with ease!

It's sad that had the Japanese team converted to catholicism they could befriend the europeans and use Holy war against the other asians... :p

Another excellent round for both the Japanese and German teams :) Too bad Germany formed off screen, but still very nicely done, and seems like Germany have the advantage as of right now :) But i have a feeling that might change in a few short years!

With the new rules, Germany's border in the east is going to be horrible for a long time unless you get lucky with border disputes or something >.<
Oh ye of little faith :)

Oh boy. Japan has an uphill battle against it. Especially since any fight against Ming is going to be time consuming and difficult...
Time consuming, probably, difficult, probably not.

The AI ruined the fun by forming Germany off screen. :( Good job in handling half of Europe trying to wipe you out. Now Germany can go about eating up each nation that it has cores on.
It is good to see that Japan has started westernising. Maybe it will give them a much needed advantage over Ming. :)
Well, three quarters of Germany ain't exactly half of Europe :) In particular, none of the really big boys (GB, France, Spain) were involved.

And forget about "maybe", make that "100% certain". Land tech 18 is just that powerful.

Yes! Go Germany!
When i saw that they were over infamy limit i expected them to suffer, but it seems that they managed to recover with ease!

It's sad that had the Japanese team converted to catholicism they could befriend the europeans and use Holy war against the other asians... :p
I've been quite lucky here. I've had almost no bad events (two nationalism events, but that's manageable) and I didn't border really dangerous countries. Also, if Poland would have joined the war at its height then things would be quite a bit more difficult.

Still, better to be lucky than to be good!

Another excellent round for both the Japanese and German teams :) Too bad Germany formed off screen, but still very nicely done, and seems like Germany have the advantage as of right now :) But i have a feeling that might change in a few short years!
We can only hope so. Germany formed earlier than I expected (I expected German unification at best at around 1550 and probably quite a bit later) and Japan later than expected (I hoped to have some Japanese conquests under the belt at the time Germany formed).

So Japan has some catching up to do.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 9, first half: never fight a land war in Asia

Jim: Welcome, dear viewers. We're watching turn nine of the match between Germany and Japan. With me is fellow commentator Bob.

Bob: Hello everyone.

Jim: So Bob, how's the Japanese team doing?

Bob: Could be better. In their absence the Japanese government has failed to further Westernise, while at this moment it makes the most sense to push for Westernisation. And they need it, too. The sum of all the tech levels of Japan is now 41, while for Germany it's 93. Without Western tech and its enormous neighbourhood bonuses, Japan cannot catch up.

Jim: That's too bad. But are there any positive things?

Bob: Well, Japan has conquered two provinces from Aceh and Brunei's empire has fallen apart a bit. Also, Wu has seceded from Ming, so many rivals of Japan has been weakened.

Jim: Good for our contestants. Looks like this will be a peaceful turn, with Japan busy Westernising and building up its power...

Bob: Uhm, looks like you're wrong, Jim.

1560-01jap-mingunificationwarstarted.png

Jim: Woah! Does Japan really tries to get Ming into a Personal Union? I mean, they both have Land Tech level 8...

Bob: Seems so. Last week they got the Casus Belli through espionage. Ming's legitimacy is very low due to all the rebellions they faced the last decades and I think our contestants wants to take advantage of that.

Jim: They are not the only ones to exploit weakness in their rivals. As with Germany the previous turn, other nations see the contestants as weak and distracted by their own war and take their chance. In this case, Brunei and its allies, one of which is Persia, declare Holy War on Japan in April.

1560-04aloneisland.png

Bob: Hmmm, could be a problem. They even land troops on the Japanese mainland, the first foreign troops ever to do so!

Jim: In October already Japan gives up and signs over one of the two provinces conquered in the 1550's.

Bob: Japan clearly focusses on the war with Ming. An invasion in central Ming is successful, as the Ming navy is many times smaller than the Imperial Navy and is brushed aside easily. A third of the Ming army is annihilated in the first couple of battles. So far so good.

1562-01landwarinasia.png

Jim: A lot of Chinese rebels, I see.

Bob: All the better for our contestants, a full-strength Ming would be more difficult to take on. And 1562 is an even better year for Japan. In the many battles with Ming, 27 Ming regiments are wiped out, leaving only three regiments at the end of the year.

Jim: Still...I see that....

Bob: In December, a further Westernisation takes place.

1562-12westernise.png

Bob: Japan is now the technological neighbour of countries like Poland and Novgorod. While some rebels rise in the Japanese mainland due to low stability and high war exhaustion, the Imperial Army still manages to make considerable gains in China.

1563-01landwarinasiapart2.png

Jim: Very impressive, but I see a problem, Bob.

Bob: What problem?

Jim: Rebels, lots of them.

1563-08somanyrebels.png

Bob: Hot damn! That's more than the whole Japanese army!

Jim: That's not all. In the north and south-east of the Japanese conquests are more regiments. In total about 80 rebel regiments are spotted, with an unknown number hidden in the fog of war. They start invading the Japanese conquests.

Bob: That's bad, very bad. Still, Japan manages to continue conquering Ming territory.

Jim: But at a price. Japan's manpower begins to drain battle after battle with the rebel masses. In early 1564 manpower has run dry and the armies exhausted. Here's a picture at the height of Japanese conquest.

1564-01landwarinasiapart3.png

Bob: Too many rebels...

Jim: The Japanese have to pull out. They sign a peace with Ming, forcing Ming to convert to Shinto. The armies barely manage to escape the Chinese mainland without losing regiments.

Bob: At least something has been gained by this war. With Ming converted, it will hopefully convert provinces to Shintoism, so that they are easier to govern when Japan takes over. Also, Ming will have more internal problems, weakening it and making it an easier target later on. All with all, things could have gone much worse.

Jim: I think the heir disagrees with you.

1564-02palacecoup.png

Bob: Painful! The heir had to be killed, otherwise stability would have suffered, something Japan cannot use. Stability recovery is slow and with the stability hit caused by hunting down corrupt officials.

Jim: Luckily, a new heir is quickly introduced, Kunitada. Uh oh.

Bob: Don't tell me his administration skill is lower than six!

Jim: Wow, how could you tell that without a BlueBlood analyser? His administrative skill is indeed only three.

Bob: Because you wouldn't have said “uh oh” otherwise, it's the worst thing that could have happened! Now the final and most important Westernisation decision cannot be enforced for quite some time. Is there any good news?

Jim: Well, Japan has declared another Unification War, against Wu this time.

Bob: But Japan's armies are still understrength and almost no manpower is available for reinforcement. And Wu has Military Drill, making its 20 regiment army quite dangerous.

Jim: And the second southern province is lost: it defected to Aceh, so Japan has lost all its gains in the far south.

Bob: Yet another setback. The war with Wu goes slowly, with most battles lost by the Japanese. Strange, while professional drill is a good thing, it....doh!

Jim: What?

Bob: The Japanese government forgot to improve army maintenance after the war with Ming ended. No wonder that the army performs so poorly against Wu!

Jim: Strange, even after a year of fighting no one mentioned this to the Emperor?

Bob: Perhaps the failed coup has made the court a bit more cautious with bad news? Anyway, after the salaries are paid in full, the war goes well.

1567-09wu.png

Jim: Encouraged by the new salaries, the Japanese military becomes more Land focussed, at the cost of the effectiveness of the Navy.

Bob: As the capital of Wu is surrounded by rebel-invested Ming territory, it takes almost two years to take it. Only in October 1569, months before the team has to return home, is the war ended, with Wu as a junior partner in the Union.

Jim: So it took four years to take Wu down. Has to be the worst war performance in this match yet.

Bob: Sadly, I have to agree. Still, Japan had almost no manpower left after the war with Ming, had to fight against a tactically superior army and most importantly, had to fight both Wu rebels (about ten regiments) and Ming rebels.

Jim: And not to forget, Japanese rebels. The Japanese isles are slowly overrun with them.

1569-11japaneserebels.png

Bob: <sigh> Hopefully they will be dealt with effectively while the Japanese team is absent. Also, it would be really really nice if they manage to Westernise while Masahito is still alive. Well people, don't go away, we're back after the break.

Last edited:
Whenever I read this I always picture Jim McKay and Joe Garagiola as the commentators (in their 70's prime, of course). I guess Joe would have to be Bob, though.

Jim-McKay.jpg

Jim McKay

joe-garagiola-001349985.jpg

Joe Garagiola

Looking at the war with Ming which ended without much success and the multitude of revolts which plagued Japan later, the heir was right to try to dispose the ruler. I guess the old man thought that if he can unite Japan (if I am not mistaken it was the same emperor) he can also unite China with Japan. On the other hand, if they don't deal with Ming fast enough, Germany might just colonise the Hordes and get there first. Well, a shame on the contestants for making a 4 military emperor go to war with the biggest country on Earth.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 9, second half: the second wave of German wars

Jim: Welcome back everyone. The German team has just entered the XS-35.

Bob: They find Germany in a war with the Zapotec and Aztec empires.

Jim: Curious decision. Well, Germany has a new king, Leopold II, since two years. This war shows his inexperience in ruling. Another sign of this youthful incompetence is the overly large army.

1570-01germanforces.png

Bob: Indeed. While Germany's yearly income has grown to 1737 ducats, the army alone costs 744 ducats per year.

Jim: The acquisition of Lübeck has been a great boon to the German economy. Still, budget cuts are necessary and almost half of the cavalry forces is disbanded. Still, I have this feeling that war is on the menu, don't you Bob?

Bob: As long as there are cores in foreign hands I wouldn't expect anything else. And indeed, after only three months Aquileia is attacked by the German army, whose might is so terryfing that none of Aquilea's allies come to its aid.

Jim: The war does not prevent the Germans from improving their economy. Our contestants once again convince more and more traders to adopt Free Trade practices.

Bob: The war also doesn't prevent the Germans from declaring other wars. Austria is the next target for conquest. This time Baden and Switzerland attempt to stop the German juggernaut.

Jim: Ha! Fat chance.

Bob: In December 1571, the Austrians capture 12 German regiments in Ragusa.

Jim: What?!

Bob: Probably due to the Austrian king, one of the best generals in recent history.

1571-12maxiethegeneral.png

Jim: Well, that's a sobering experience.

Bob: Not to the German generals. A month later they declare the German army invincible and blame the recent losses on underhanded and despicable methods, like tactics.

1572-01invincible.png

Jim: Well, at least this cuts back on expenses. Anyway, Switzerland and Pommeria, Austria's allies, concede defeat. And to prove that the German army is indeed invincible, 16 Austrian regiments are wiped out.

Bob: Nice comeback. Soon Aquilea and Austria give up, ceding respectively 3 and 5 provinces to Germany.

Jim: Hang on, on two of Austria's provinces Germany has no claim, damaging its reputation with 8 points!

Bob: That's probably why Leopold II releases Bosnia as a vassal.

Jim: I see. He implements even more far-reaching reforms. In November 1572 he abolishes the Feudal rule and Germany becomes an administrative monarchy.

1572-11adminmonarchy.png

Bob: The first change in government for our contestants.

Jim: Indeed Bob. Still, it doesn't stop Germany's many wars to unite all the German people. In December a Reconquest War is declared on Styria. Bohemia, Hungary and Tirol come to Styria's aid. When will they learn?

Bob: Yet again Germany steamrolls the opposition. Styria is annexed in a month. In six months Tirol and its allies concede defeat. In the meantime, Saxe-Lauenburg is invaded and annexed. The German team likes to keep up the speed.

Jim: The blitzkrieg comes at a price: high war exhaustion. The veterans demand pensions and get them.

1574-03semperfi.png

Bob: I can imagine the jealous looks of the Japanese team. Reforms like this will comes in handy in the Final Battle.

Jim: In 1576 one of the largest German nations left, Switzerland, is invaded. Although the Swiss manage to get a decent alliance together, consisting of Genua, who now controls most of North Italy, and Burgundy, Trier and Brabant. While the Swiss fight valiantly, after a year the largest Protestant nation is annexed. Catholic missionaries are send immediately to the Swiss cantons. Alliance leader Genua soon after concedes defeat.

Bob: Looks like Greater Germany is soon a reality.

Jim: With little serious opposition, it's mostly a matter of waiting for truces with German princes to end. Until 1578, that is.

Bob: Oh?

Jim: In March that year, Germany goes for the throat of Pommerania. However, its allies are Poland, Novgorod and Austria, forming an alliance that at least can match the size of the German forces.

Bob: Seeing how Poland fared against Germany beforehand, I don't expect that much.

Jim: <sigh> You're right, Bob. After the destruction of a staggering 24 Polish regiments in a single battle, Poland and Pommerania are soon occupied.

1578-10conquestinpoland.png

Bob: Pommeriania is not annexed, as not all of its territory is claimed by Germany. It loses two provinces to Germany. The centre of trade in Vonpommeren, a rival of Lübeck's, is immediately shut down.

Jim: Brutal. Yet another war, the last of the decade, is launched in 1579, this time against long time rival Bohemia. But the once respected Holy Roman Emperor state is a mere shadow of these times and even the aid of Poland, Prussia and Byzantium cannot prevent it from losing its three German provinces.

Bob: So all the larger nations within the German culture group have now been pruned.

Jim: Correct. Only about a dozen German princes remain independent, so the complete German unification is just a matter of time.

1579-12mapofeurope.png

Bob: On the other hand, Germany now borders France and Spain. This can lead to some costly wars in the near future.

Jim: We can only hope, Bob. Would teach the Germans a lesson about unifying off-screen. Well people, see you next time!

Last edited: