+ Reply to Thread
Page 337 of 388 FirstFirst ... 237 262 287 312 327 335 336 337 338 339 347 362 387 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Kiwi View Post
    They can travel in drop ships, but they don't like it. The plan will be to send a troop ship alongside the assault carrier, and load them when ready for the strike.
    And you can transfer ground units from ship to ship in the middle of nowhere? Sounds a bit strange.

And it makes my "assault transport" design of a 20k jump capable military ship able to carry three battalions and having hangar space for three 1000 ton assault shuttles, each with a battalion drop ship, a bit of a waste of displacement. Maybe I'll scrap the transport spaces and add hangar space for some gunboats or more assault shuttles.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.
    It ended abruptly in the middle of nowhere; would not pick again.
    A traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Gwalcmai View Post
    And you can transfer ground units from ship to ship in the middle of nowhere? Sounds a bit strange.

And it makes my "assault transport" design of a 20k jump capable military ship able to carry three battalions and having hangar space for three 1000 ton assault shuttles, each with a battalion drop ship, a bit of a waste of displacement. Maybe I'll scrap the transport spaces and add hangar space for some gunboats or more assault shuttles.
    Well you can randomly shuffle missiles between ships during a battle, so... Although I'm not sure if anyone has tested it with troops yet.

If you want to justify it, then the drop shuttles are docking with the troop transport to embark the men.

No no no no no
    No no no no no no no
    No no no no ...yes?

Transferring troops takes time, you'd better do it before the battle, or you'll drop your Marines into wrecks, not enemy ships.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Cargo Handling Systems speed up the loading/unloading of troops just as much as they speed up cargo handling. Miniature tractor beams, used to scoop up the Marines and stuff them into the holds.

As for the FAC design, is there any way to cut the range?
    Only by increasing the mass, which has its own drawbacks. 10,000 L is the smallest fuel tank.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    Miniature tractor beams, used to scoop up the Marines and stuff them into the holds.
    Like cow abducting UFO's ?

Only by increasing the mass, which has its own drawbacks. 10,000 L is the smallest fuel tank.
    You need to research fighter fuel tanks (5kL).
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.
    It ended abruptly in the middle of nowhere; would not pick again.
    A traveler

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Gwalcmai View Post
    You need to research fighter fuel tanks (5kL).
    OK, now I remember... ... I'm using 10,000 L tanks because the extra capacity comes "free".

With 10,000 L tanks, the Bayonet Assault Shuttle has 2.7 b-km range, 11,000 kps speed and a TCS of 16.

With 5,000 L tanks instead... the Bayonet Assault Shuttle has 1.35 b-km range, 11,000 kps speed and a TCS of 16.

No gain at all from using the smaller tanks. Might as well use the big ones.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Commodore TheLoneGunman is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Andromeda, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Commodore Konstantin Shepardovski is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Cassiopeia, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Commodore PolarMongoose II is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Perseus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Commodore Cromelex is assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Pegasus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters.

Captain Iche Bins is promoted to Commodore and assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Cephus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters. It is currently filling out its Air Group from new construction.

Captain Alice Bryant is promoted to Commodore and assigned to command the Constellation class Fleet Carrier ESN Cetus, with an Air Group of 47 Streak Fighters. It is currently awaiting Fighters for its Air Group.

Does anyone who is currently running a Cruiser or Destroyer want one of the Mountain class Assault Carriers? It will be a few years before they see any action, since they need to be refitted for their new role, and the Assault Shuttles need to be built.
    Last edited by blue emu; 21-06-2011 at 18:40.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

nah, I wanna move up to Hero class, not move to a wimpy carrier.
    ICQ #331727773
    canonized on 11/08/2007

Overall Best WW player is Avernite with 7 wins overall (Dec 2006-sometime 2007)

jonti-h:No-one's perfect
    General Jac: Except Avernite , that's why I kill him every game

Jopi: I'll vote Avernite. He's a hard player to read, and therefore always dangerous.
    Avernite: Avernite is a very mean person because he always comes up with great ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Avernite View Post
    nah, I wanna move up to Hero class, not move to a wimpy carrier.
    They will be launched later this year.

Feldmarschall von Toiletkrieg hebelecan's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPirates of Black CoveSemper Fi
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I'd like a carrier, I think I'm in command of one of the new beam PD ships.

Quote Originally Posted by hebelecan View Post
    I'd like a carrier, I think I'm in command of one of the new beam PD ships.
    Sure.

Captain Hebelcan has been assigned to command the Mountain-II class Assault Carrier ESN Etna.

Lt-Commander Demonson has been promoted to Captain and assigned to command the Storm class Gauss Point Defense Frigate ESN Storm.

Like I said, the Mountains won't be taking part in combat ops for a few years, since they need to wait for a free slipway, get refitted to Mountain-III standard, and then take their Assault Shuttles (which aren't even built yet) aboard.

I have sent the jump-capable Troop Transport ESNX Fort Sumner to El Dorado in the Wolf 294 system, to fetch the 820th Marines... Colonel Hearth mentioned that he would like to see his unit take part in the combat drop on the three Prix-held worlds in the 82 Eridani system, and since we have to overhaul the Fleet and build up for the assault anyway, there's time to send someone to fetch his unit.
    Last edited by blue emu; 21-06-2011 at 17:30.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

Sure.

Like I said, the Mountains won't be taking part in combat ops for a few years, since they need to wait for a free slipway, get refitted to Mountain-III standard, and then take their Assault Shuttles (which aren't even built yet) aboard.

I have sent the jump-capable Troop Transport ESNX Fort Sumner to El Dorado in the Wolf 294 system, to fetch the 820th Marines... Colonel Hearth mentioned that he would like to see his unit take part in the combat drop on the three Prix-held worlds in the 82 Eridani system, and since we have to overhaul the Fleet and build up for the assault anyway, there's time to send someone to fetch his unit.
    I still think we should build some cruiseships instead of wimpy Troop transports...
    I like to travel in style, like a true pimp... or is it a Marine I am?

Quote Originally Posted by Hearth View Post
    I still think we should build some cruiseships instead of wimpy Troop transports...
    I like to travel in style, like a true pimp... or is it a Marine I am?
    The last time I saw any Cruise Ships, they were ferrying tourists out to El Dorado to buy souveneirs from the homicidal Prix Robots. Not sure where they went after that. Touring the inside of a Black Hole, possibly.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

What is my current status? Am I still on a light cruiser? What is the next step in the career ladder after a light cruiser?
    Oh, yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark, they shoot bees at you?

--Homer Simpson

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

The last time I saw any Cruise Ships, they were ferrying tourists out to El Dorado to buy souveneirs from the homicidal Prix Robots. Not sure where they went after that. Touring the inside of a Black Hole, possibly.
    you see, thats why you should give the ship to me instead, so I can relax in style between massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by trajan View Post
    What is my current status? Am I still on a light cruiser? What is the next step in the career ladder after a light cruiser?
    You are a Captain, in command of the Attitude-II class Light Cruiser ESN Paranoid. The next step is a Heavy Cruiser (with three of them due to launch within a year), then eventually a Battlecruiser. Unless you wanted to transfer to one of the Assault Carriers, which won't be seeing any action for a few years.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

You are a Captain, in command of the Attitude-II class Light Cruiser ESN Paranoid. The next step is a Heavy Cruiser (with three of them due to launch within a year), then eventually a Battlecruiser. Unless you wanted to transfer to one of the Assault Carriers, which won't be seeing any action for a few years.
    Nah, I'll let the flyboys have their glory and stay in the real Navy Put me in line for a heavy cruiser when one becomes available please!
    Oh, yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark, they shoot bees at you?

--Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by trajan View Post
    Nah, I'll let the flyboys have their glory and stay in the real Navy Put me in line for a heavy cruiser when one becomes available please!
    Sure. You may even get one early, since when the Heros come out of the yards, some of the Heavy Cruiser Captains will be moving up to them, which frees up the Heavy Cruisers for a Light Cruiser Captain to take over.

Belizard ship in the Gliese 320 system, approaching our new colony of Remagen. I'm turning on our active sensors. Judging from the thermal signature and TCS (Target Cross Section), it's just a scout ship. No sense taking chances, though... Remagen PDC is launching Fighters now.

+ Reply to Thread