+ Reply to Thread
Page 309 of 388 FirstFirst ... 209 234 259 284 299 307 308 309 310 311 319 334 359 384 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Feldmarschall von Toiletkrieg hebelecan's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPirates of Black CoveSemper Fi
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    We now have 367 automated mines on Moria, and the planet is producing 37,120 minerals per year. If we can double this over the next couple of years, our resource problems should be solved for a long time to come.

EDIT: Jeeze... I hadn't realized that Moria was such a hell-hole when I set my mining operation up there... the surface temperature is over 2000 degrees, and the pressure is 169 atmospheres, with 97% Carbon Dioxide. What a dump. Looks like I'll be spending my vacation somewhere else.
    Solution is simple, plant a bunch of palm trees.

EDIT: Jeeze... I hadn't realized that Moria was such a hell-hole when I set my mining operation up there... the surface temperature is over 2000 degrees, and the pressure is 169 atmospheres, with 97% Carbon Dioxide. What a dump. Looks like I'll be spending my vacation somewhere else.
    I'm amused when my ships go to survey such planets and don't have any scratch after that. I'm even more amazed when you can actually put plenty of stuff there, mine them, and nothing ever seems to burn. I mean, shouldn't most of these minerals actually be in a liquid form?

A word of caution when designing box launchers:
    The chosen tech in the reload rate drop-down has no effect on the speed at which the launchers can be reloaded... but it does have an effect on the cost of the launchers. Pick the "worst" one for cheaper box launchers.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.
    It ended abruptly in the middle of nowhere; would not pick again.
    A traveler

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Boris ze Spider View Post
    2000 degree resistant palm trees?
    Made of diamond.
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    Made of diamond.
    Wouldn't it just be cheaper to bombard the planet to smithereens and hope the resulting dust cloud would cool the planet down significantly?
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.

Practitioner of "Calm Rage" joebthegreat's Avatar
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by von Sachsen View Post
    Wouldn't it just be cheaper to bombard the planet to smithereens and hope the resulting dust cloud would cool the planet down significantly?
    Significant in this case being from 2000 degrees to 1500 degrees
    Come play our most recent game of werewolf, or diplomacy
    Werewolf MICRO: Wolf: 1(1 wins) TOTAL: 1(1 wins) || GMed: 0(0 goodie wins/0 baddie wins)
    Werewolf LITE: Villager: 20(40 wins) Wolf: 11(33 wins) Seer: 2(4 wins) TOTAL: 33(66 wins) || GMed: 11100101(0 goodie wins/0 baddie wins)
    Werewolf BIG: Villager: 1(600 wins) Wolf: 600(1 wins) Cultist: 2(2 wins) Priest: 1(1 wins) Lover: 1*(1 wins) Thief: 1(1 wins) TOTAL: 20(1 wins) || GMed: 1(200 goodie wins/0 baddie wins)
    GRAND TOTAL: 2(0 wins) || GM TOTAL: 0(42 goodie wins/42 baddie wins)
    ----------
    Diplomacy: Great Britain: 0(0 wins) France: 0(0 wins) Germany: 0(0 wins) Austria: 0(0 wins) Italy: 1(0 wins) Russia: 0(0 wins) Turkey: 0(0 wins) TOTAL: 0(0 wins) || GMed: 1(0 wins/0 wins/0 wins/0 wins/0 wins/0 wins/0 wins)

"Quote" -Author

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

To lower the temperature that much we would all have to build space-prius:es!

BTW, I do hope our terraforming installations that increase the carbon-dioxide of the athmosphere are called the SUV-Class.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Since my Freighters are too busy hauling away loot from El Dorado to spend their time moving terraforming stations from one planet to another, I have continued to terraform Mars even after it has reached class-0 status. The average surface temperature is now nearly +10 C.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

Since my Freighters are too busy hauling away loot from El Dorado to spend their time moving terraforming stations from one planet to another, I have continued to terraform Mars even after it has reached class-0 status. The average surface temperature is now nearly +10 C.
    Is there a bonus?
    - La esperanza es como el azúcar en el té. Aunque es muy poca, todo lo endulza.
    Proverbio chino

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards
    Roleplaying bonus that is.
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

Paradox QA Paradox Dev Team ForzaA's Avatar
    200k club500k club

Blog Entries
    They've already got the same shields as a Heavy Cruiser, a CIWS PD battery (Close In Weapons System), six PD missile launchers under direction of two PD Fire Control systems (for engaging two incoming salvos simultaneously), and one layer of armor. I cannot improve on that without either reducing the hangar space, or cutting back on the magazine space. There is simply not much wasted space in a 20,000-ton design. I cannot reduce the fuel tankage since each air-strike uses 225,000 litres of fuel.
    I was more arguing against suggested paper tiger carrier designs that others seemed to be advocating, and what seems implied in your US vs UK carrier doctrine discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusC View Post
    I'm amused when my ships go to survey such planets and don't have any scratch after that. I'm even more amazed when you can actually put plenty of stuff there, mine them, and nothing ever seems to burn. I mean, shouldn't most of these minerals actually be in a liquid form?
    Melting points are affected by extreme pressures..

take a look at this for an example;

(unfortunately, it insists on being shrunk )

Now, granted, for water, at 200atm, you don't see much of a difference yet, but for other materials you might (unfortunately, phase diagrams aren't that easy to come by)

Not to mention that, e.g. Tungsten has a melting point at atmospheric pressure of 3422 degree Celsius.
    Last edited by ForzaA; 16-06-2011 at 14:13.
    Error in war on error on line 1.

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

It wouldn't make it easier on our colonists there to warm it up some more?
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Lurken View Post
    Roleplaying bonus that is.
    Yes, it's just for role-play reasons. I would move them to Dravar XV if I had spare freighters... 38 Freighters to service six planets, and every one is busy; and not only busy, every one has a long list of jobs to do as soon as they get a spare moment.

It wouldn't make it easier on our colonists there to warm it up some more?
    An average global temperature of 10 C means that it might be as low as 0 C in some places, or as high as 20 C in others... pretty much like Earth.

EDIT:

By the way... one small change made just as construction was beginning managed to reduce the size of the Streak Fighters by another 5 tons (0.1 Hull Squares), which should allow one additional Fighter to be squeezed into the hangar deck.

EDIT again:

Actually, two more... from 45 per Carrier up to 47. We needed a shoe-horn to squeeze the last one in... it leaves only 0.1 HS unused in the Hangar Deck.
    Last edited by blue emu; 16-06-2011 at 14:14.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Are we building more freighters? Have these new ones got updated designs?
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    When the new CVs roll off the lines, the CVLs will open up for commands.
    I need to at least shoot down some missiles first. Plus I love my shipname
    Relentless madman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Strange View Post
    Are we building more freighters? Have these new ones got updated designs?
    The old ones have almost all been updated with new engines. A more complete rebuild would have taken them out of service for too long. I am building more non-stop.

... so if we were operating six Constellations with six Mountains, all loaded with Streaks, our alpha strike would be with 420 Fighters.

EDIT: Found another terraforming station, and another free tech: terraforming rate 0.0025
    Last edited by blue emu; 16-06-2011 at 14:29.

+ Reply to Thread