+ Reply to Thread
Page 234 of 388 FirstFirst ... 134 159 184 209 224 232 233 234 235 236 244 259 284 309 334 ... LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,680 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Keeper of the seven keys Lord Martin's Avatar
    200k clubVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Impressive!
    How many of those can you load upon a carrier?
    They can´t be expensive in terms of minerals either.
    Since the custom avatars are gone, I´m aiming at 1.000.000 posts instead!!!!
    998.333 posts left...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

It won't be twice the firepower, they're one-missile wonders versus the three-missile solutions of previous ships. So at twice the fighters and one-third the firepower per fighter, it would be two/thirds the firepower.

Of course, the upside is that it also provide twice the decoys for the Prix.
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Mushroom Korps Field Marshal OrangeYoshi's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume HJ View Post
    Of course, the upside is that it also provide twice the decoys for the Prix.
    Which, honestly, outweighs fighter firepower by far.
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away...™ ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines
    No Time Limit Mod lll Quick Questions Quick Answers

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Having a cheap, expendable fighter screen is a good idea in order to soak up potential hits. Of course, in order to avoid massive casualties, I'd rather see our PD take care of anything incoming before we send our fighters.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

We can carry twice as many aircraft (20 instead of 10), but they only have 1/3rd the firepower... so it's a trade-off: only 2/3rds as much total firepower, but offering twice as many targets to the enemy, and much harder to hit (9400 kps instead of around 4000 kps). They also have improved FC, and the new Composite Armor instead of the old Duranium Armor. New models of Spitfire and Hurricane are also being produced, to take advantage of the newest Armor, FC and Command Module. Speeds increase by about +1000 kps, with no loss of cruising range and somewhat better firing range.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Will they reload faster? If they do (and assuming better survivability rate), the firepower decrease might be less than the nominal ammount...
    They'll be there (on target) to fire the missiles and back faster.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Cromelex View Post
    Will they reload faster?
    Not until we've developed Box Launchers, which is years away... we don't even have the pre-req tech for it yet.

The 9400 kps speed also offers us some added tactical flexibility, of course. Having Fighters that were actually SLOWER than our Carriers was not what you would call "flexible and efficient"... instead of the Fighters returning to the Carriers, the Carriers had to GO GET THEM.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    52 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

As a carrier commander, having fighters that are actually faster than our carriers is a good step in the right direction.

At 9400 kps they can match the speed of Prix warships as well, can they not?
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    We can carry twice as many aircraft (20 instead of 10), but they only have 1/3rd the firepower... so it's a trade-off: only 2/3rds as much total firepower, but offering twice as many targets to the enemy, and much harder to hit (9400 kps instead of around 4000 kps). They also have improved FC, and the new Composite Armor instead of the old Duranium Armor. New models of Spitfire and Hurricane are also being produced, to take advantage of the newest Armor, FC and Command Module. Speeds increase by about +1000 kps, with no loss of cruising range and somewhat better firing range.
    considering that at this point they are mostly there to absorb missiles it seems like a good trade off. Of course you could always opt for both and have both a "metalshield" fighter wing and a slower wing that packs a bigger punch.
    I resent any "science" which tells me I can't have my cake and eat it. I am however a huge fan of quantum physics.

"So while Libya should have done much better, i think they did quite well with Gaddafi." - Klausewitz

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    At 9400 kps they can match the speed of Prix warships as well, can they not?
    About 200 kps slower still than the Prix, but essentially yes.
    A lie can make it half-way around the world before the truth has time to put its boots on.
    .-- .. -. - . .-. / .. ... / -.-. --- -- .. -. --. .-.-.-

52 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by CptJoker View Post
    About 200 kps slower still than the Prix, but essentially yes.
    That gives us some ability to pursue the bastards though.
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    That gives us some ability to pursue the bastards though.
    We can certainly pursue DAMAGED Prix vessels, and perhaps damage them further... enough for the Fleet to catch them.

So... given six carriers, each of which can either carry twenty of these or twelve heavier fighters with three missiles instead of one... what's the optimum force mix?

Two carriers filled with Gnats and the other four with Spitfires?

Another possibility is to reduce our heavy fighters from three missiles to two, which would add another 1400 kps and allow fifteen instead of twelve to be carried.
    Last edited by blue emu; 31-05-2011 at 22:04.

52 games registered

I'd prefer to stock our carriers with the smaller, faster fighters, and use the heavier fighters to defend our planets and colonies.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Out of interest how large and fast would a compromise fighter, one with two missile launchers rather than the one or three the other fighters have, be?

Quote Originally Posted by BwenGun View Post
    Out of interest how large and fast would a compromise fighter, one with two missile launchers rather than the one or three the other fighters have, be?
    See my above (unmarked) edit.

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    We can certainly pursue DAMAGED Prix vessels, and perhaps damage them further... enough for the Fleet to catch them.

So... given six carriers, each of which can either carry twenty of these or twelve heavier fighters with three missiles instead of one... what's the optimum force mix?

Two carriers filled with Gnats and the other four with Spitfires?

Another possibility is to reduce our heavy fighters from three missiles to two, which would add another 1400 kps and allow fifteen instead of twelve to be carried.
    judging from the previous engagement it's good to have a fast fighter that can get in range and absorb missiles that would otherwise go towards much more expensive and important targets; in the previous engagement you started pulling back the big ships to wage a fighting retreat so if you launch the slower but better armed fighters at this point their speed doesn't matter that much, they simply got carried into battle then deployed as the carriers start pulling back. I think an extra 1.4k speed (from an initial 4k IIRC?) isn't important here except maybe if it (exceeds or at least) closely matches the speed of our carriers. If they are still significantly slower then chances are if you'll have the luxury of slowing down your carriers to pick up the heavy fighters at X+1.4k speed for rearming, you'll also have the luxury at slowing down to X speed to pick them up. If there is a need for these fighters to be rearmed then at this point it takes 36 minutes which is a long time anyway. So basically if these guys aren't expected to race circles around either the enemy's nor the home fleet you may as well prefer the extra missile which can actually hurt the enemy, as opposed to speed which is not always the best strategic option (a faster plane could also simply allow it to fly towards death more quickly, whereas a missile is always promising to bring more death to the enemy).
    I resent any "science" which tells me I can't have my cake and eat it. I am however a huge fan of quantum physics.

"So while Libya should have done much better, i think they did quite well with Gaddafi." - Klausewitz

So if we loaded three Carriers with Gnats (1 missile each, 9424 kps, 20 per Carrier) and the other three with Typhoons (2 missiles each, 6870 kps, 15 per Carrier), that would give us 105 Fighters and an alpha-strike of 150 missiles, divided into 105 separate salvos.

Sound OK?

The alternative is a mix of Gnats and Spitfires (3 missiles each, 5487 kps, 12 per Carrier)... or a mix of all three types.

Keeper of the seven keys Lord Martin's Avatar
    200k clubVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sounds Ok for me.
    When you can afford it you probably should build some Military Academy as well. You gonna need all the characters you can get now.
    Since the custom avatars are gone, I´m aiming at 1.000.000 posts instead!!!!
    998.333 posts left...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Ideally you want whatever complement the decoys to pack the maximal alpha strike possible. On a carrier's capacity, that's the Spitfires (36 missiles from a carrierload of Spits vs 30 from a carrierload of Typhoons).

A 3/3 mix of Gnats (60) and Spitfires (36) sounds good...send the Gnats out ahead between the Rocks and the main fleet so they can serve as decoys (60 Gnats should take a lot of volleys), keep the Spitfires in reserve with their 108-missiles alpha strike capacity, reinforced by whatever Gnats survive.
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jos de trol View Post
    judging from the previous engagement it's good to have a fast fighter that can get in range and absorb missiles that would otherwise go towards much more expensive and important targets; in the previous engagement you started pulling back the big ships to wage a fighting retreat so if you launch the slower but better armed fighters at this point their speed doesn't matter that much, they simply got carried into battle then deployed as the carriers start pulling back. I think an extra 1.4k speed (from an initial 4k IIRC?) isn't important here except maybe if it (exceeds or at least) closely matches the speed of our carriers. If they are still significantly slower then chances are if you'll have the luxury of slowing down your carriers to pick up the heavy fighters at X+1.4k speed for rearming, you'll also have the luxury at slowing down to X speed to pick them up. If there is a need for these fighters to be rearmed then at this point it takes 36 minutes which is a long time anyway. So basically if these guys aren't expected to race circles around either the enemy's nor the home fleet you may as well prefer the extra missile which can actually hurt the enemy, as opposed to speed which is not always the best strategic option (a faster plane could also simply allow it to fly towards death more quickly, whereas a missile is always promising to bring more death to the enemy).
    I agree that speed is not always the best strategic option, but it is a card that has been completely missing from our hand in our last engagement with the Prix, and might greatly increase our tactical flexibility. The trade-off of one missile vs two vs three is not quite as clear-cut as it sounds, because the smaller fighters take up less hangar space, so we can carry somewhat more of them (20 vs 15 vs 12).

+ Reply to Thread