+ Reply to Thread
Page 209 of 388 FirstFirst ... 109 134 159 184 199 207 208 209 210 211 219 234 259 284 309 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Sergeant
    A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    When I say "in range", I mean "in our missile FC range, modified by ECM". They are many millions of miles beyond their own Beam range, assuming them to be Beam Cruisers.
    I know. And when I say "quickly" I mean "before they get us in their range".

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Running down to the corner store for a pack of smokes. Back soon.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Sergeant
    A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations

Careful with those smokes. They'll kill you faster than a meson shot.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

I'm back. The battle continues.

Unfortunately, the two Prix squadrons are still more than 15 m-km beyond the (modified) range of our Mine-layers. There is a real chance that they won't be able to come up in time to cooperate with the fleet, despite the fact that we've been attempting to draw each Prix squadron into their range ever since the enemy was first spotted.

If we manage to inflict enough damage to slow the Prix ships down below our own top speed, and then run out of missiles, the three Mine-layers can then come up and finish them off with those MIRV-ed boomers of theirs.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Bandit-2 and Bandit-3 have now crossed into the "nominal" range of my Mine-layers... by which I mean, the range at which I could open fire if the Prix were NOT equipped with ECM. I suppose I could set up a shot just to SEE if these particular classes (Temujin and Genghis) have ECM equipment, but I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't.

Bandit-2 and Bandit-3 have now crossed into the "nominal" range of my Mine-layers... by which I mean, the range at which I could open fire if the Prix were NOT equipped with ECM. I suppose I could set up a shot just to SEE if these particular classes (Temujin and Genghis) have ECM equipment, but I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't.
    Take a shot! Are minelayers outranging our main battlegroup now?

Bandit-2 (two Temujin class) is holding course for our Battle Fleet. Bandit-3 (one Genghis class) has turned off to chase the Rocks.

Still waiting for the Reptiles to determine whether or not they have a firing solution.

Are minelayers outranging our main battlegroup now?
    No. The Bandits have been within nominal range of our Battle Fleet for some time... they are just not within effective range, modified by ECM.

Yeah, as expected, the Temujins have ECM-40. Can't lock on them until I get within 18.9 m-km

I might as well try to lock on the Genghis, but I'm sure it's the same story there, too.

EDIT: Yup... same story: ECM-40, no lock until I reach 18.9 m-km. I'm at 31 m-km now. It's gonna be a LONG 12 million kilometers...

Keep the good fight up!

You think it will be able to get the fleet out of the system in one piece for rearm and resupply?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabobalis View Post
    Keep the good fight up!

You think it will be able to get the fleet out of the system in one piece for rearm and resupply?
    Depends on how much PD they've got.

We've got about seven or eight full fleet salvos left, plus change, plus the Mine-Layers, plus our PD armament

In theory, that's enough to kill these three clowns a couple of times over. But not if they've got effective PD defense.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

We've got about seven or eight full fleet salvos left, plus change, plus the Mine-Layers, plus our PD armament

In theory, that's enough to kill these three clowns a couple of times over. But not if they've got effective PD defense.
    Three alien clowns

- La esperanza es como el azúcar en el té. Aunque es muy poca, todo lo endulza.
    Proverbio chino

Well fingers crossed for no PD defences :P

Ill Growl of Talking Polar Mongoose's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

At what range did bandit 1 begin launching their PD missiles at us?
    ¡Viva ArgentinAAR! - My Vicky 2 AAR (1836-1880)

Yeah, as expected, the Temujins have ECM-40. Can't lock on them until I get within 18.9 m-km

I might as well try to lock on the Genghis, but I'm sure it's the same story there, too.

EDIT: Yup... same story: ECM-40, no lock until I reach 18.9 m-km. I'm at 31 m-km now. It's gonna be a LONG 12 million kilometers...
    I see, well both ECM/anti-ECM technology does seems to worth it to look upon if we have spare labs somehow, but cant we offset it cheaper just by installing some excess range fire controls on our future designs? (and maybe we will salvage something of use from Prix warships if all goes smoothly)

Also I would say fighters performed admirably, even if not what exactly we were planning them to do, but superior firepower design is the way to go and they will get only better as the next propulsion tech comes online increasing range and speed of both fighters and their armament.

"I have not yet begun to fight!"

Rear Admiral Edzako out.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

It's gonna be a LONG 12 million kilometers...
    only situation you would ever say that sarcastically.
    ###Goldmattress###

Use Dogecoin - The currency for doges

In Europa Universalis, Ulm vasalizes you

Bandit-2 and Bandit-3 now 7 m-km from the Rocks, 14 m-km from the Battle-Fleet, 29 m-km from the Mine-Sweepers. We may lose the Rocks to their Beam weapons before the Prix come into our firing range. It's going to be tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Mongoose View Post
    At what range did bandit 1 begin launching their PD missiles at us?
    About twice this distance.

Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Edzako View Post
    but cant we offset it cheaper just by installing some excess range fire controls on our future designs?
    Yeah, missile fire control's are relatively cheap. I'm quite sure Emu could easily pull 50m km fire control with size 2. Even after the research costs (was it 15000 for first level ECCM?) the actual component for ECCM still takes 1.5 hull space, so extended range FC would still be cheaper/more space efficient.

I habitually have about 40% extra on my FC, both to counter ECM a bit and give room for growth.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'm back. The battle continues.

Unfortunately, the two Prix squadrons are still more than 15 m-km beyond the (modified) range of our Mine-layers. There is a real chance that they won't be able to come up in time to cooperate with the fleet, despite the fact that we've been attempting to draw each Prix squadron into their range ever since the enemy was first spotted.

If we manage to inflict enough damage to slow the Prix ships down below our own top speed, and then run out of missiles, the three Mine-layers can then come up and finish them off with those MIRV-ed boomers of theirs.
    May I ask why we gave our mine-layers such awing weaponry?

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Chaos View Post
    May I ask why we gave our mine-layers such awing weaponry?
    It's somewhere back around page 70.

(basically so we can launch sentry buoys)

In my own game, size-20 missiles are a standard weapon on several types of ships. Packing a WH25 punch.

+ Reply to Thread