+ Reply to Thread
Page 205 of 388 FirstFirst ... 105 130 155 180 195 203 204 205 206 207 215 230 255 280 305 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,100 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Were there any crew casualties on the Agincourt? (Didn't realize until Alice what's her name that the game tracked crew past the officers.)
    Alice is an officer, just an unclaimed one. She should now become an honorary character, given her efforts. As far as I know, below the officer ranks the crew just tracks total numbers of crew, normally about a thousand per ship (8 or so for a fighter). I don't know if you can take casualties to this unless the whole ship blows up.

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusC View Post
    What kind of ships are Bandit 2 and 3?

Right now, I think we can assume Beki is beam ship, with massively powerful power plant for the beam weapons - explains the huge explosion.
    Mughal explosion fits more with engine explosion.
    Retrating khan is probably a missile-launchers who gets out of the way, or goes to reload.
    I should check back to see if Khan retreated after or before the suspected launch of size-1 missile. Because Khan and Mughal are missile-launchers, one class for anti-missile, the other for long-range anti-ship missiles.

I also suspect either Bandits 2 and 3 don't have missiles, or have already launched them and they will hit soon. At 25m km, they're way beyond Prix firing range, from what I can tell of the right against Bandits 1.
    That matches my assessment. I believe the retreating ship turned away after all enemy missiles were expended. Assuming that means it was the one to fire them, it's very good news for us.

No no no no no
    No no no no no no no
    No no no no ...yes?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by stamasd View Post
    So after bandit-1 is disposed of, we'll have 3 ships chasing after us, and another one running away. And the 3 are coming after the main fleet, not the rocks. Correct?
    It's impossible to say who they are headed for. They are too far away for the angles to be distinguishable. Bandit-1 was close enough that it was easy to tell the difference between a heading aimed at the Rocks and a heading aimed at the Battle Fleet. Not so for the other two Bandits, the two possible headings more-or-less overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Kiwi View Post
    What I meant was that since the Prix can't build new ships, only repair them, their replacement build time is infinite. If that's our measure then any amount of losses would be justified by one Prix ship killed. Personally, while willing to lay my life down for the emucrat, I'd hope I was valued a little higher than that

I take it the Agincourt gets to make the killing blow? That should cheer up the crew, given that they have parts of their armour completely blown away.
    Yes, any six-missile salvos that you see must be from the Agincourt, since all the Destroyers and Light Cruisers have four tubes and the Mine-layers and Fighters have three.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Were there any crew casualties on the Agincourt? (Didn't realize until Alice what's her name that the game tracked crew past the officers.)
    No casualties. They have lost a LOT of armor and are open to vacuum along the port side, but have sustained no casualties and no internal damage.

What kind of ships are Bandit 2 and 3?
    Genghis and Temujin. we haven't fought either of those types yet, so capabilities unknown.

I don't know if you can take casualties to this unless the whole ship blows up.
    Internals usually cause crew casualties.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I started a (learning) game with no Precursors nor Swarm as set up, but I'm thinking of "checking the boxes" later on when I will feel more confident.
    How does it work then ?
    Will they be created in any system, even the ones I would eventually already discovered and explored ?
    They will only appear in any future systems you generate, although it is possible they could travel into the older systems at some point.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Agincourt has fired another six-missile salvo at the last surviving cripple from Bandit-1. Time-to-target about four minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    They will only appear in any future systems you generate, although it is possible they could travel into the older systems at some point.
    Do Precursors jump, then? I have never seen that happen.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

The dead scout and the dead fighters have been avenged, take that you damn prixian bastards!

So, you gonna try and take the rest of the prix out in one go?
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    51 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Do we have an estimate on when the next group of ships will be in our firing range?
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    Yes they can. They do not as I understand it survey their systems so they might not be aware of jump points, but they can pinpoint them with their rather good sensors when you (or someone else) jump in or out of their systems.

Had a jumpgate constructor (JGC) killed by the precursors. When I sent the Battle Fleet to retaliate I actually encountered them in the neighboring system close to the jumpgate through which my JGC had entered the Precursor system. The actual battle played out a bit like what you describe here.
    Quoting out of context: "during WW2 for example Denmark had a casualty ratio of 1 to 20 000"
    "I'm a born again (tech)tree-hugger!"

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    The dead scout and the dead fighters have been avenged, take that you damn prixian bastards!

So, you gonna try and take the rest of the prix out in one go?
    I don't have any choice. They are more than twice as fast as our Battle-Fleet, and more than four times faster than our Mine-Layers. We cannot reach the jump-point out before they catch us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    Do we have an estimate on when the next group of ships will be in our firing range?
    Impossible to say. We are retreating towards the Mine-Layers to 4000 kps, but once we rendezvous we will have to slow the fleet to Mine-Layer speed if we don't want to abandon them to the Prix. They are chasing us at 9715 kps. It looks like they will catch us around the same time that the Mine-Layers are in firing range. That's very good, because they still have full magazines.

51 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Impossible to say. We are retreating towards the Mine-Layers to 4000 kps, but once we rendezvous we will have to slow the fleet to Mine-Layer speed if we don't want to abandon them to the Prix. They are chasing us at 9715 kps. It looks like they will catch us around the same time that the Mine-Layers are in firing range. That's very good, because they still have full magazines.
    The minelayers also have a supply of PD missiles we can reload with! So all is not lost!
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Would be even better if we had some time to transfer those PD missiles resupplies...
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

The retreating vessel, the 14,300-ton Khan 001, is making directly for the habitable planet Wolf 294 A-II. I think we've figured out where their base is.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

The retreating vessel, the 14,300-ton Khan 001, is making directly for the habitable planet Wolf 294 A-II. I think we've figured out where their base is.
    Be careful, maybe their base have rockets. If that's posible destroy Khan 001.
    - La esperanza es como el azúcar en el té. Aunque es muy poca, todo lo endulza.
    Proverbio chino

51 games registered

Quote Originally Posted by calestos View Post
    Be careful, maybe their base have rockets. If that's posible destroy Khan 001.
    I don't think we plan on attacking it yet. Considering we don't even have the means of occupying the planet by force yet.

Tactical:

TheLoneGunman is correct... we aren't planning to take on their ground-based defenses until we have repaired, re-munitioned, resupplied with Fighters, and organized a Marine Combat Force. We may want to wait for the Drop Ships, too.

Sergeant
    A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Khan-1 should be dealt with, but only after we get rid of the remaining 3 cruisers.

Are the minelayers moving towards the fleet or away?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

My view on Khan 1 is thus:

Let's cautiously ignore it for now. Running after it, or approaching the planet to destroy it, would be unwise.

On the other hand, if it is a missile ship as we suspect, it's likely it will come back to haunt us as we withdraw. In that case we'll need to figure a way to deal with it.

Also, keep in mind that if they give chase close to the jump point, they may be able to pursue us beyond it. In which case setting up an ambush with any relatively intact ships on the other side of the jump point is imperative. (This also means we should get any non-fighting vessel away from that jump point at once)
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Quote Originally Posted by stamasd View Post
    Khan-1 should be dealt with, but only after we get rid of the remaining 3 cruisers.

Are the minelayers moving towards the fleet or away?
    Towards it.

I cannot force Khan to battle if they don't want to fight... not without directly attacking their planet, which we are not currently equipped to do. They are more than twice as fast as us, and they are the only ship that seems willing to run away if we get too close.

Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Pride of Nations500k club

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Thanks, good to know it !

My understanding is that he was talking about Swarm in this specific case.
    Proud ouwner of: EU EU2 HOI VIC HOI2 HOI2DD FTG ROME AOD CKDV EUIII Chronicles and also: GALCIV2 NCP PON

Sensors and Fire Control Scientist in "The Final Frontier" an Aurora OT Forum game

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
    Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
    Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

Topped up our Cruisers and Destroyers magazines again from the Carriers surplus stocks. We've been firing half-fleet salvos or even single-ship salvos lately, so not many missiles had been used. We just might have enough left to kill those three Bandits. Depends largely on the effectiveness of their Point Defense. The Mine-Layers, of course, still have full magazines, and the Fighters have enough for two or three more strikes... probably more than their reloading-time will allow.

The six-missile salvo from Agincourt is now less than 3 m-km from the last crippled survivor of Bandit-1. Should be arriving on-target in less than a minute.

+ Reply to Thread