+ Reply to Thread
Page 203 of 388 FirstFirst ... 103 128 153 178 193 201 202 203 204 205 213 228 253 278 303 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,060 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Do the Precursors respawn?
    Not sure... I'm a noob.

Well... given the continuing thunderstorm and the time (it's 3:00 in the morning, here), I guess I should call it a night and go to bed. We'll pick this up again tomorrow. The general situation is certainly looking better now than it has since we sighted that first squadron of five Prix Cruisers. What an epic battle, so far!
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is RED. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use Black for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lead and GoldMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Praise be to blue emu, commander of both our fleet and our hearts! I have the utmost confidence in your tactical assessment and hope that the sacrifices we have made and will continue to make in this battle will be fully justified after a very intense scavenging of the star system.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Glroy to earth, glory to Emu, we shall destroy those precursor prix, and show them that no culture, no matter how advanced, will ever survive the terran onslaught!
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Pride of Nations500k club

Thumbs up Revenge !

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    What an epic battle, so far!
    Second that !!!!
    ( I was holding breath while waiting for missiles to hit)

and Great Leadership too

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
    Last edited by Amadeus; 28-05-2011 at 09:33.
    Proud ouwner of: EU EU2 HOI VIC HOI2 HOI2DD FTG ROME AOD CKDV EUIII Chronicles and also: GALCIV2 NCP PON

Sensors and Fire Control Scientist in "The Final Frontier" an Aurora OT Forum game

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
    Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
    Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards
    Withdraw and restock is the only prudent choice really, if it is possible now.
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The hard working colonists of the Nexus break have prepared a celebratory song in case of victory, based on a battle from ancient Terra . It has prematurely leaked out.

Fight on!
    I alone have the right to use my avatar!

See the proof

Man Of Many Wiles Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

The most dangerous place to which a young man can be sent
    Earth earns its spurs in space!
    No one can stop our eventual domination of the Galaxy!
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Pride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Strange View Post
    Earth earns its spurs in space!
    No one can stop our eventual domination of the Galaxy!
    Hush! You might attract the one force that can stop us.

The Pink Rabbit.
    So Shush!
    "Einen solchen imaginären Reif, aus Dreck und Lettern gebacken, soll ein legitimer König von Gottes Gnaden und nun gar der König von Preußen sich geben lassen?
    Soll die tausendjährige Krone deutscher Nation, die 42 Jahre lang geruht hat, wieder einmal vergeben werden, so bin ich es und meinesgleichen, die sie vergeben werden, und wehe dem, der sich anmaßt, was ihm nicht zukommt!"

Friedrich Wilhelm IV.

They're currently showing Starship Troopers on TV here. I have to say that our intel screw up could have gone a lot worse than it did

Still, we're going to need a rethink before we think about taking on the Eridani Prix, or even the Seals. I wouldn't want a nasty surprise that the world of theirs we discovered was just an outpost, or that they had friends. Our ships have held out better than expected, and it's very valuable knowing that, but we need multi-AU scale sensors or next time luck could go the other way.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine an episode of Mr. Bean—forever.

A tip

On the bottom of the Contacts tab of the system map window, there is a checkbox called "SM: Spacetime-bubble in this system". If you click this, time will stop everywhere else in the universe apart from this system

This means the game will calculate the battle and increment the turns far more quickly because it only has to worry about one system. This is ideal for large, complex battles restricted to a single system that will only take a few hours of game time to resolve. Don't forget to switch it off again afterwards

The tooltip for the checkbox is incorrect

Deus VultHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    A tip

On the bottom of the Contacts tab of the system map window, there is a checkbox called "SM: Spacetime-bubble in this system". If you click this, time will stop everywhere else in the universe apart from this system

mhh i couldn´t find this option there, tried in SM too just in case.

a question about the contact list. is there a way to save the information given there ? found a couple of small precursor outposts located on asteroids and im quite allergic to pen and paper

Quote Originally Posted by Hraban View Post
    mhh i couldn´t find this option there, tried in SM too just in case.

a question about the contact list. is there a way to save the information given there ? found a couple of small precursor outposts located on asteroids and im quite allergic to pen and paper
    You could either mark them with a waypoint or turn on lost contacts, which will show you old contact information

You could either mark them with a waypoint or turn on lost contacts, which will show you old contact information
    tried with lost contacts already but it doesn´t show the data. i already cleaned out the two populated asteroids i encountered, i´ll try again next time. there is however a populated planet, and there too it doesn´t show me the contact data. but waypoints would do just fine i guess. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    EDIT: Holy Crap! a size TWENTY-NINE secondary explosion tears Beki 002 apart! Scratch one Prix Cruiser!
    So, either they had a full and insanely big magazine, or Beki is a beam ship with a massive reactor. Considering they weren't firing missiles at us, I think we can fairly assume Beki is a beam weapon ship.

Revenge is sweet, take that, Prix

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Do the Precursors respawn?
    Not sure. They're meant to be automated defense, leftover of ancient civilizations that disappeared or were destroyed - in fact when you dig into ruins, you can find robots guarding them.
    On the other hand, I've recently scoured a system of Precursos warships, sent my fleet to orbit the habitable planets with active sensors, seen nothing there, yet when a geo-scout came to survey the system, weirdly, there were 2 PCDs active on that planet, and it got shot down

I agree with Blue Emu's plan. If we have low missiles stocks, we should repair and reload ordnance, then come back.

AOn the bottom of the Contacts tab of the system map window, there is a checkbox called "SM: Spacetime-bubble in this system". If you click this, time will stop everywhere else in the universe apart from this system
    This means the game will calculate the battle and increment the turns far more quickly because it only has to worry about one system. This is ideal for large, complex battles restricted to a single system that will only take a few hours of game time to resolve.
    Oh, excellent!

Precursors don't respawn. They are generated when the system is generated and when you kill them, they stay dead Bear in mind though that all the precursors in a system may not be in the same place, so you may think you killed them all but some may still be lurking.

@SteveW

What defines the required rank of a naval vessel commander ? let´s say i have built a 9000t warship and it says R3 required, yet when i design a bigger version (~ 16000t) of that ship with even more armor, weapons etc. it says R1 ?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Precursors don't respawn. They are generated when the system is generated and when you kill them, they stay dead Bear in mind though that all the precursors in a system may not be in the same place, so you may think you killed them all but some may still be lurking.
    Very good to know, thanks. I assume that it is indeed possible for there to be more of them than the nine that we've spotted.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is RED. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use Black for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraban View Post
    @SteveW

What defines the required rank of a naval vessel commander ? let´s say i have built a 9000t warship and it says R3 required, yet when i design a bigger version (~ 16000t) of that ship with even more armor, weapons etc. it says R1 ?
    You set it yourself. The R3 etc. is only a guide. Go to the DAC / Rank / Information tab on the F5 class window, choose a suitable rank and class priority for the design and press Set. The class priority means within a given rank, classes with higher priorities will be assigned officers first. A ship will not be automatically assigned an officer with a rank more than 2 above the set rank, so if you set R1 as the preferred rank, the automated assignments will never assign anyone higher than R3.

You set it yourself. The R3 etc. is only a guide. Go to the DAC / Rank / Information tab on the F5 class window, choose a suitable rank and class priority for the design and press Set. The class priority means within a given rank, classes with higher priorities will be assigned officers first. A ship will not be automatically assigned an officer with a rank more than 2 above the set rank, so if you set R1 as the preferred rank, the automated assignments will never assign anyone higher than R3.
    D'OH !. i noticed that some time ago, but must have forgotten about it. there is alot of stuff you need to get used to. take that as a compliment, as soon as i found out about Aurora in Blue Emu´s threads, i haven´t touched anything else on my computer.

Back to the battle!

We have one 46-missile spread running out to target, divided into one salvo of six missiles against the most seriously damaged ship, and two spreads of twenty (five four-missile salvos each) against the two strongest opponents. Further spreads are on hold pending a damage assessment.

The spreads should impact over the next thirty seconds or so... range-to-target now down to 0.8 m-km for the closes ship, 1.35 m-km for the furthest. The Prix Cruisers are about 3.5 m-km from our Rocks, and about 5 m-km from our battle fleet.

+ Reply to Thread