+ Reply to Thread
Page 195 of 388 FirstFirst ... 95 120 145 170 185 193 194 195 196 197 205 220 245 270 295 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    I remind my Captains that we are still playing to WIN!
    We certainly are. I merely meant that once we've shot off all our ordnance, it's better to have the option to turn around and go get more than to have to build another ship!
    Oh, yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark, they shoot bees at you?

--Homer Simpson

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Mongoose View Post
    How many ASMs do we have left? Obviously we don't want to waste all our ammo on a few targets, but on the other hand I doubt we are much of a match for them at close range (do we even have beam weapons?).
    IIRC we have one beam-equipped cruiser? We're going to be shredded into tiny fragments of various alloys if we ever get to beam range.

Edit: Oh. Reverse emu'd. No beam cruisers.
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Mongoose View Post
    How many ASMs do we have left? Obviously we don't want to waste all our ammo on a few targets, but on the other hand I doubt we are much of a match for them at close range (do we even have beam weapons?).
    We have no Beam weapons at all. Still teching up in that area. We have crap-loads of ASMs, because the six Carriers were carrying enough ordinance to reload sixty Fighters multiple times with three ASMs each... and we only have eleven Fighters left. That means that our Cruisers and Destroyers can share out the ordinance originally intended for the forty-nine destroyed Fighters, each of which has almost as many missile tubes (3) as a Destroyer (4) or Light Cruiser (4).
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Launch more missiles! It's just like that time with the killbots! We fire so many missiles we clog up their systems! On these suicide missions, everyone is a suicide!

And remember men, you're lucky men. Soon, you'll all be fighting for your planet. many of you will be dying for your planet. A few of you will be put through a fine mesh screen for your planet. They will be the luckiest of all.
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India Company CollectionDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

kill the retreaing ship before it can get out of range!
    My first AAR- Germany, the power in the center of Europe more or less dead

Sole Survivor of Squadron #6, 'Night Owls', destroyed a Prix Cruiser to end the battle in Blue Emu's forum game 'Ad Astra'
    Best AAR ever: Golden Horde-Scourge from the East

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Iche_Bins View Post
    kill the retreaing ship before it can get out of range!
    Bandits 3 and 4 are over 25 million km away. Our firing range (considering the Prix's 40 ECM rating) is about 9 m-km. The retreating ship has never been within 15 m-km of our firing range. Also, it moves more than twice as fast as us... there's little point in trying to chase it.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Keeper of the seven keys Lord Martin's Avatar
    200k clubVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

How far away are our missiles from the target now?
    Since the custom avatars are gone, I´m aiming at 1.000.000 posts instead!!!!
    998.334 posts left...

200k clubA Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2Majesty II Collection
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Khan was in Bandit-3, over 25 million km away. If he has enough tech advantage to see my 450-ton Fighters and target them from that distance with freakin' PD weaponry, why aren't we dead already?
    In my current game I am way behind precursors (of my game) in sensor tech, tho its 2051. Still I only need a FC of size 2 HS to target a HS 8 ship on 28m km. Given it doesnt need to ping us, it's not completely unthinkable.
    "Einen solchen imaginären Reif, aus Dreck und Letten gebacken, soll ein legitimer König von Gottes Gnaden und nun gar der König von Preußen sich geben lassen?...
    Soll die tausendjährige Krone deutscher Nation, die 42 Jahre lang geruht hat, wieder einmal vergeben werden, so bin ich es und meinesgleichen, die sie vergeben werden, und wehe dem, der sich anmaßt, was ihm nicht zukommt!"

Friedrich Wilhelm IV.

This tactical map might help you stay abreast of what's going on:

Bandit-1 is closing in on us with five ships... a bit less than eight m-km away. They seem to be steering for our Rocks, which are heading off at a tangent towards the bottom right part of the screen, in an attempt to draw them away from our battle-fleet.

All the other enemy groups are much further away... 25 m-km or so. Our own firing range is barely 9 m-km. We cannot shoot at anyone but Bandit-1.

Out Battle-Fleet (Cruisers and Destroyers) has merged with the Carrier group in order to replenish missiles from the stocks that were originally intended for our destroyed Fighters. The Fighters will be landing on the Carriers within a few seconds.

The whole fleet (Cruisers, Destroyers, Carriers, Fighters... but not the Rocks) will be withdrawing towards the Mine-Layers, in order to prolong the period when we can fire at him but he cannot fire back (because we are out of range of his beam weapons, and he has already expended his missiles). This withdrawal will also move the scene of battle closer to our Mine-Layers, eventually allowing them to open fire with their long-range size-36 missile tubes.

Is the Khan retreating towards a planet, apparently?

Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2500k club

Hmm, wait, where about are our poor pilots floating now? Some of them survived right? How about we split either rock off to go pick them up, I'm sure they'd love to be shot at some more...
    Why are you dodging like this, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist(ance*) -John Sedgwick, moments before being shot through the eye
    *whether the sentence was actually cut or finished is disputed

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martin View Post
    How far away are our missiles from the target now?
    Less than 2 m-km. Even WE would have spotted them by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgiven View Post
    Hmm, wait, where about are our poor pilots floating now? Some of them survived right? How about we split either rock off to go pick them up, I'm sure they'd love to be shot at some more...
    Every time we issue new movement orders to a fleet while engaged with the enemy, it takes up to a minute for them to acknowledge and act on the order. There are several life-pods, and considering the order delay it would take perhaps 15 minutes to pick them all up during the battle. We simply cannot afford the time, not with the enemy fleet already about 7.5 m-km away and closing on us at 9600 km/s. We will rescue any survivors AFTER the battle.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lead and GoldMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

We will rescue any survivors AFTER the battle.
    Until then, I'm quite happy playing Parcheesi with the other crewmembers that got out in my lifepod.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Agreed. We will rescue them when we win the battle.

If we don't, then I doubt they particularly care which ship's escape pod they're on when they die in the cold waste of space.
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Every time we issue new movement orders to a fleet while engaged with the enemy, it takes up to a minute for them to acknowledge and act on the order. There are several life-pods, and considering the order delay it would take perhaps 15 minutes to pick them all up during the battle. We simply cannot afford the time, not with the enemy fleet already about 7.5 m-km away and closing on us at 9600 km/s. We will rescue any survivors AFTER the battle.
    After our glorious Victory!

Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Do I recall correctly that your carriers had 4-5 spare salvos for each fighter? If so I don't need to see any reason to hold back our fire. It will take quite a while for our fleet to launch all of those and we need to deal with bandit-1 as quickly as possible, before their buddies in the back can join them.
    Last edited by Väinö I; 27-05-2011 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusC View Post
    Is the Khan retreating towards a planet, apparently?
    If we assume he is taking a straight path to rearm we could identity a potential location of their base.

The crazy little mushroom billy bob's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k club

Blog Entries
    Sir,

Despite only minimal damage to the ship there were several casualties. Request to fulfill their last wish and strap them to the next wave of missiles so we can blow these Prix back to hell?
    Golden Horde-Scourge from the East A Duke of Wellington Production
    My special Red Cookie. P-dox fantasy football champion!
    Brandenburg-Prussia in the 1650 RPG

#1 Die Hard Fan of-Green Bay Packers, Louisville Cardinals, etc.
    "Everyone has the potential, Not everyone has the will" Billy Bob
    "Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."-Stalin
    "Men who use libraries instead of building their own are like men who prefer whores to wives."-Llywelyn

doesnt fighters have some 500~ men crew?
    If so this have to be one of the bloodiest battles of mankind when you look at deaths/hour
    Devoured by Aliens in Blue Emu's forum game 'Ad Astra'

+ Reply to Thread