Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Assuming they'll run from contact, might be worth surrounding them on four sides, lighting them up with active sensors on three sides and preparing to fight them on the fourth.

As long as any one of our forces is able to deal with them, that's a good plan. Hunting probably is a good analogy here, and we want to flush them out of cover into the sights of our fleet. We don't want them running straight through one of our noise-making detachments, though.

What we must avoid at all costs is driving them further away from the planet - we need them in our tracking station's scopes, or we might lose them forever. The biggest risk is probably that in surrounding one target, we alert the other and it flees away from our ships, into the void. You're going to want to take that into account.

I was working on the assumption that they're civilian ships that will run away from contact. We can use three active sensor ships as beaters to flush them out towards the rest of the fleet, which can be pretty much every other ship you have.

Of couse, if that doesn't work it could get a bit dicey for the beaters.

Can you actually use these Genetic Modification Centers you keep finding?

Also, is there any benefit to making Mars more earth-like or is class 0 as good as it gets? It still seems fairly chilly.

Once I reach class-0 the population limits are removed, and Mars can support any number of colonists without using any life-support infrastructure. So yes... at that point, further modifications would only be for role-play purposes.

I can use those genetic modification centers, yes... but at my current tech level, I will probably get more mileage out of terraforming instead. All installations require labor to run them, so any people used for running a genetic modification center will be unavailable to run a terraforming installation.

I was working on the assumption that they're civilian ships that will run away from contact. We can use three active sensor ships as beaters to flush them out towards the rest of the fleet, which can be pretty much every other ship you have.

Of couse, if that doesn't work it could get a bit dicey for the beaters.

Apparently Prix commercial ships have a fondness for ramming manoeuvres. Any detachment would at least need to be able to stop them, even if our assumptions are right.

Naturally, the more groups that I divide into, the better my chances of intercepting them... but the weaker the intercepting group will be.

If the ships are unarmed/out of ammo as they appear to be, weaker groups should be fine. I say use at least 4 groups

Edit: For ramming attacks, they'll run into PD missile/Gauss range if they try to ram, I think that plus the ASM should be plenty even with the fleet in quarters.
We could also use the fighters in separate groups and or/send them ahead for the groups for the initial strikes.

Apparently Prix commercial ships have a fondness for ramming manoeuvres. Any detachment would at least need to be able to stop them, even if our assumptions are right.

I know they like to ram unarmed vessels, but I'm not sure they'd try the same against warships. Fortunately I'm in a scout somewhere far away, so I don't have a problem with risking our sensor-equipped ships like this. :D

One half of our fleet has taken up position in the inner system, without provoking any reaction from the Prix. Now we are just waiting for the other detachment to reach position in the outer system.

The detachment of warships has "turned the corner", outflanking the first Prix ship, and is now headed for its position directly outward of the Prix. Still no indication that we've been spotted.

What sort of distance are we maintaining from the first target? And how far does that leave us from the second one?

Cool... Scientist Bo Mosberg has finished the hardware design for the first of our new series of jump drives (the 15,000-ton model). It's 500 tons lighter than the model it replaces.

Still moving into position in the Wolf 294 system.

What sort of distance are we maintaining from the first target? And how far does that leave us from the second one?

Closest approach so far about 1.5 b-km. Further than that from target #2.

In position.

G051_Hunt.jpg

I think I'll set the outermost fleet in motion first, since they're further away. Still haven't decided whether to split into smaller groups... it may depend on just how long it takes the Prix to spot me.

Hmm... I'd be most worried about Chakar 001 bolting out to the left of screen. If you're going to split, it should probably be the Red Orchestra task force to head Chakar 001 off if it does that.

Hmm... I'd be most worried about Chakar 001 bolting out to the left of screen. If you're going to split, it should probably be the Red Orchestra task force to head Chakar 001 off if it does that.

I think Red Orchestra is just a scout. We're looking for the Combined Fleet #1 & #2 and the Decoy fleets. Not sure I can make them out in that screenie.

I think Red Orchestra is just a scout. We're looking for the Combined Fleet #1 & #2 and the Decoy fleets. Not sure I can make them out in that screenie.

That's alright then. As long as we're never closer to Chakar 001 than 003, it shouldn't bolt.

Both fleet detachments are now in motion. Range to target about 1 b-km. Still no reaction.

G052_Hunt.jpg

We'we going to kill the Pwix!

We'll need to get a hell of a lot closer than this... still, we're creeping up on him. 600 m-km away, now.

Yeah, we're still six times too far for even the bombardment rounds to get him. Which is an interesting idea - are we going to try hitting him with them? Or have we not got any with us?

If it's signifigantly faster than the Prix, it can explore the system with near-impunity, since it would take about three Prix Cruisers, converging on it from different directions, to bring it into engagement range.

I used to think that my 12500km/s recon FACs were pretty much invulnerable, since they would be able to outrun anything...

...until one ran into a patrol of Precursor FACs. :)

Yeah, we're still six times too far for even the bombardment rounds to get him. Which is an interesting idea - are we going to try hitting him with them? Or have we not got any with us?

We brought a couple of salvos... but I'd much rather try to get close enough for more than one ship to fire, and if he spots us and runs, THEN use the bombardment ammo to try and cripple an engine so we can catch him.

So far, so good...

G053_Hunt.jpg