Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Re-thinking about upgrading only your FCs for anti ship missiles this shouldn't take long time, I guess...
Yet you need free slipways of course and if you're going to mount salvage-operation soon then better to wait.

What's your thoughts about researches after the brainstorming you asked for yesterday, I mean what you're going to focus your researches on in the light of last evenements ?

EDIT: my 2 cents about diplomacy,

1) that's true

2) mmmh I call it dubious this one, don't think they are that much advanced

3) good politician speech ;)
there is plenty of time to crush them if needed, otherwise just let them enjoy becoming citizen of the Blue Empire and paying taxes...

Last edited:
A galactic federation... with Humans in the dominant position, of course... might suit our future plans for defense and expansion better than a rebellious conquered empire.

This sounds like the better option to me. We already have a powerful enemy to deal with. It might take quite some time to exploit the treasures we steal from the wrecks of our enemies. And I assume we're still exploring the galaxy. Who know when and if we'll run into another advanced and hostile race? Charlies, Chix, and the Seals seem pretty friendly or at least not hostile. I think it would be a waste of resources to try to conquer them when we could simply trade.

And another point is that we've encountered a lot of empty and habitable planets that would either make good colonies or forward operating bases. Instead of spending lots of resources on large armies to subjugate friendly neighbors I think we would be better off exploiting the discoveries of our intrepid explorers.

I dont think initiating hostilities with Charlies would be prudent for now, as they seem as advanced as us, but Space Seals and Chix are not advanced thus neither probable tech traders (even if willing) nor much of an obstacle (need more intel on this one). Incorporating a few million citizens in our ''Federation'' would be more profitable. Think of raw materials, money, tech labs and all that we could ''liberate'' from their current obviously corrupt and inefficient regime!

My stand on the seals are the same, they're a threat to earthian security!

However, I has nothing against the Chix's, and the charlies are already on good terms with us ;)

Re-thinking about upgrading only your FCs for anti ship missiles this shouldn't take long time, I guess...
Yet you need free slipways of course and if you're going to mount salvage-operation soon then better to wait.

The main problem is that I can't just rip out the existing fire controls and replace them with larger ones... that would put me over the tonnage limit. I would need to make other alterations to the ships as well (less fuel tankage, fewer Engineering sections, smaller magazine, whatever), to keep them within the limits of my dry-dock capacity and jump-drive efficiency. That would increase the length of the refit, by creating more disparity between the old and new versions. Only if I wait for higher-tech FCs can I make a direct swap without any other alterations.

What's your thoughts about researches after the brainstorming you asked for yesterday, I mean what you're going to focus your researches on in the light of last evenements ?

Haven't decided yet. The matter is not urgent... it can wait until the next Tech finishes.

2) We might obtain more Tech advance by making friends with the Charlies, Seal and Chix than by blowing up their ships and examining the bits.

2) mmmh I call it dubious this one, don't think they are that much advanced

Well.... you can't have it both ways.

If they are too primitive for us to gain much tech by diplomacy, then they are also too primative for us to gain much tech by fighting a war and examining the wreckage of their ships.

3) A galactic federation... with Humans in the dominant position, of course... might suit our future plans for defense and expansion better than a rebellious conquered empire.

Discuss.

Aliens don't rebell :D

The Seals are weakling, so we won't gain much by having them as allies - on the other hand, they won't ever threaten us.

Whatever, the point of attacking any of these 3 species wouldn't be to gain techs but to gain minerals, and to an extent a sizable equipment already built on their homeworlds.
Still, I'm not particularly a warmonger in this regard.

2) We might obtain more Tech advance by making friends with the Charlies, Seal and Chix than by blowing up their ships and examining the bits.

3) A galactic federation... with Humans in the dominant position, of course... might suit our future plans for defense and expansion better than a rebellious conquered empire.

Personally I think the Charlies are the only viable candidates who have technology beyond ours. Correct me if I'm wrong but neither the Seals or Chix have there own ships?

Also I agree with the idea of a Galactic Federation sounds much more profitable in the long run potentially and allow us to easier deal with actual aggressors to the Empire as opposed to splitting our military up to conquer and hold down rebellion.

Well like GaiusC pointed out the main reason for attacking them is for sizing their homeworlds, minerals stocks and buildings ;)
but as long as you don't need these, then I say concentrate yourself on colonizing peacefully as fast as you can !

As colonies have much higher Annual Growth Rate in the long term expanding fast and spreading your population among many colonies will grant larger population, income and industrial output to the Blue Avian Empire

Personally I think the Charlies are the only viable candidates who have technology beyond ours. Correct me if I'm wrong but neither the Seals or Chix have there own ships?

We didn't see any... but we just popped in and popped out again, and haven't been back since.

Also I agree with the idea of a Galactic Federation sounds much more profitable in the long run potentially and allow us to easier deal with actual aggressors to the Empire as opposed to splitting our military up to conquer and hold down rebellion.

Yeah... they may some day be useful to us if we tech them up first. Or we could leave them as primitives and conquer them later. In either case, I would like to focus on cleaning the Prix out of Wolf 294... and then later, perhaps out of 82 Eridani as well. There should be another Prix outpost there.

Well like GaiusC pointed out the main reason for attacking them is for sizing their homeworlds, minerals stocks and buildings ;)
but as long as you don't need these, then I say concentrate yourself on colonizing peacefully as fast as you can !

As colonies have much higher Annual Growth Rate in the long term expanding fast and spreading your population among many colonies will grant larger population, income and industrial output to the Blue Avian Empire

I agree, as long as there is lots of free uncolonized lebensraum to get there is little point in splitting the military for invasion and above all occupation..
Btw oh, great Avian, now that the excitement has died down a bit could you give a little run-down on the state of the planets in the empire? Population, industries and the like? To bask in the glory of your achievements of course:D

Retooling for the Spy class Surveillance Vessels has been completed, and the ESNE Mata Hari and ESNE James Bond have been laid down. Because they are so much smaller than the shipyard capacity (2,000 ton ships built in a 15,000 ton yard) they will finish in less than a year... in plenty of time to join our second Wolf 294 expedition.

I forgot, do we know who the non-prix wrecks that were in the wolf system belong to? There might be another technologically advanced race out there as well.

I think that story wise it would be interesting to attack at least one other species and stay friends with one other one. I'd like to see some ground combat and if there are any kinks with occupation, but it would also be interesting to have diplomatic story options.

I agree, as long as there is lots of free uncolonized lebensraum to get there is little point in splitting the military for invasion and above all occupation..
Btw oh, great Avian, now that the excitement has died down a bit could you give a little run-down on the state of the planets in the empire? Population, industries and the like? To bask in the glory of your achievements of course:D

Earth : 975,000,000 pop, Sector HQ level-2, 8 shipyards (3 civ/5 mil), 17 slipways, 750 constr factories, 230 missile factories, 115 fighter factories, 384 refineries (shut down), 677 mines, 131 automated mines (awaiting shipment out), 5 mass drivers (ditto), 5 terraforming stations (ditto), 45.8 research labs (the other 0.2 lab is in transit to Earth), 125 financial centers.

Mars : 26,540,000 pop, 70 factories, 108 mines, 8 automated mines (awaiting shipment out), 1 mass driver, 5 terraforming stations.

Dravar XV : 2,160,000 pop, 20 factories, 1 fighter factory (inactive), 6 automated mines, fuel stockpile for scout-ships.

The Nexus : 1,400,000 pop, 17 factories, 2 automated mines, fuel stockpile for scout-ships.

Sigma Draconis A-II : 1,320,000 pop, fuel stockpile for scout-ships.

Titania : 111 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Titan : 76 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Comet of the Platypus : 72 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Lindgren Asteroid : 25 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Lord Martin said:
Hey Emu, was my character transfered to a geo. vessel, or am I still in the HQ?

You are commanding ESN Agassiz, currently exploring near (not in) Wolf 294, and now headed for Sigma Draconis A-II to refuel.

Seli said:
I forgot, do we know who the non-prix wrecks that were in the wolf system belong to?

No, there is no ownership indicated, which means that we've never seen that class of ship before. It might belong to anyone, including (but not necessarily) to known aliens.

Since you can not have it all on a ship, I recommend to expand the tonnage of militaries shipyards.

Maybe in the long run you can build a few factories of fighters in Dravar XV.

... so all of our colonies have passed 1 million population, but only Mars is really "developed". The others have barely begun developing.

Since you can not have it all on a ship, I recommend to expand the tonnage of military shipyards.

I would prefer to settle the resource shortage before increasing the ways in which we can SPEND minerals.

Maybe in the long run you can build a few factories of fighters in Dravar XV.

Not sure why we would need them there... our Carriers get built on Earth.

I was planning to ship that single Fighter factory back to Earth.

Commander SteveW in ESN Chandrasekhar has completed his Grav-survey of the Tau Ceti system. It has a total of six jump points. Proceeding to P Eridani to explore for new jump points.