Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If they defeat the Military force, they would attack the colony, yes.

NEWS FLASH

Three Star-class Missile Destroyers have finished construction!

I know there are about forty people waiting for these ships... so who gets them?

My intention was to reward some of our scouts by offering them Fleet commands, and then induct some new scouts to take over their old ships. This actually makes sense, since the scouts have been in action constantly for two and a half years, and have skilled-up quite a bit. Also... eventually, when our tech level and slipway capacity permits it... we will be building a class of multi-role ships capable of both scouting and fighting (reconnaisance in force), and it would be useful to have some Officers with experience in both roles.

Voting on who should get the ships? (I am not bound by the result of the vote, of course, but I would be interested in hearing opinions). Billy Bob nearly got his ass shot off by the Charlies, in an unarmed ship... should we move him to an armed ship?

I support all candidates who are sufficiently aggressive and are willing to put themselves on the line, and countless aliens to the sword, for the advancement of the Imperium of man! Billy Bob might be a right choice, assuming he fills the criterion AND is sufficiently recovered from the encounter with the murderous ravaging alien sensors!

God knows we already have enough people in the liberal long words fancy dress corps, no need to give those spineless wimps any warships! :mad:

For any who missed my edit, here's the complete list so far:

Commander Billy Bob is offered promotion to Captain and command of the Star class Missile Destroyer ESN Chimaera Accepted
Commander Coinneach is offered promotion to Captain and command of the Star class Missile Destroyer ESN Procyon
Commander Schuermann is offered promotion to Captain and command of the Star class Missile Destroyer ESN Centaurus

Captain Arjyla is promoted to Commodore
Commander Edzako is promoted to Captain
Commander Autonomous is promoted to Captain

Lt-Commander Trajan is offered promotion to Commander and command of an Astronomer or Geologist class survey vessel (to be designated).
Commander Avernite is offered command of an Astronomer or Geologist class survey vessel (to be designated).

Remember, people... we also have three Attitude class Guided Missile Cruisers building, so some of our current Missile Destroyer commanders (ie: Edzako and Autonomous) might be moving up to a larger ship, and handing their DD-G over to someone else.

I spent a year digging holes in alien ruins to now get a survey vessel again? :eek:

Fine, fine, gimme an astronomer class. Is the Avernum free?

I'd like to join the personnel of the glorious Terran people in any capacity necessary. Command of a survey ship if any are available would be great.

Otherwise I am willing to take any other useful position for the good of the Federation!

Recognition! The aliens shall tremble in fright, before they shall fall! :mad:

Here's a list of candidates enjoying my support for any open survey vessel positions should they be interested!:
Verenti
Cloneof
Hyme

I also recommend both of my captains for a bigger ship once they become available, particularly Ezdako who has displayed sound judgement and isn't a liberal wimp. :nod:

I'd like to join the personnel of the glorious Terran people in any capacity necessary. Command of a survey ship if any are available would be great.

Sure, I'll set you up in a minute... survey vessels are a career-path to eventual command of a fighting ship.

Here's Billy Bob and his new rank and new ship:

G_068_BillyBob.jpg

Recognition! The aliens shall tremble in fright, before they shall fall! :mad:

Here's a list of candidates enjoying my support for any open survey vessel positions should they be interested!:
Verenti
Edzako
Cloneof
Hyme

Edzako already commands the Star class Missile Destroyer Sirius

I spent a year digging holes in alien ruins to now get a survey vessel again? :eek:

Fine, fine, gimme an astronomer class. Is the Avernum free?

There are three Cruisers due out in not-too-many-months, and Edzako and Autonomous will likely be handing over their Missile Destroyers and moving up to Cruisers. You are in line for one.

We cannot dig it up until we can get Engineers to the site. If we're going to be waiting for Troop Transports (as we must) and transporting Engineers there, we might as well send some Marines to guard the site against a possible attack by Guardian Robots. If we have to wait a couple of years anyway, we might as well wait two years and a couple of months, and be that much safer.

Such a long delay is utterly lamentable but I will take your word for it that nothing more can be done on that front for at least two years.

But what about colonists? While Planetary Governor Nixon and the former staff of xenologists cool their heels waiting for engineers and marines would we at least be able to get some colonies set up on Dravar XV? Since we're leaving the digs alone for the time being the colonists won't be in danger of being overrun by any leftover Guardians.

I could be wrong but I think we only have Earth and Mars as are primarly population centers. If the efforts of our diplomats fail then war would follow in short order. How confident are you that we can hold our home system? If calamity strikes and our military forces are pushed aside all of humanity could be wiped out. We have too many eggs in one basket. If we set up colonies on Dravar XV then at least we have a fallback position.

Edzako already commands the Star class Missile Destroyer Sirius

Yep - wrong list! Changed that to a recommendation for a bigger ship, Sir!

When the new commanders are appointed, I trust we take the rookies for a training run and fleet manouvers? Also, you might appoint Billy Bob for a cruiser transfer directly, and designate Avernite as his replacement for the star-class destroyer. Cruisers shouldn't be given to rookies. :mad:

Last edited:
Lt-Commander Trajan is offered promotion to Commander and command of an Astronomer or Geologist class survey vessel (to be designated).

I accept. All hail Blue Emu!

Yep - wrong list! Changed that to a recommendation for a bigger ship, Sir!

When the new commanders are appointed, I trust we take the rookies for a training run and fleet manouvers? Also, you might appoint Billy Bob for a cruiser transfer directly, and designate Avernite as his replacement for the star-class destroyer. Cruisers shouldn't be given to rookies. :mad:

I think the plan is that the other survey captains will move up to destroyers and new rookies will take over the survey ships. Ill train with the fleet for a while and then move up if the boss and myself think Im ready.

I think the plan is that the other survey captains will move up to destroyers and new rookies will take over the survey ships. Ill train with the fleet for a while and then move up if the boss and myself think Im ready.

Indeed. However, it's better to put someone who's already experienced with a destroyer in charge of a cruiser, rather than transfer people directly from survey ships to cruisers. There are three cruisers coming up, with five officers who have had experience with destroyer class fighting ships at that point. You ain't being recommended for love (ask Stuckenschmidt if you need some :p) but rather to facilitate the efficient training of the fleet and its officers - moving you up also frees one destroyer for another capable captain. The navy is not operating at your convenience, Soldier!

But what about colonists? While Planetary Governor Nixon and the former staff of xenologists cool their heels waiting for engineers and marines would we at least be able to get some colonies set up on Dravar XV? Since we're leaving the digs alone for the time being the colonists won't be in danger of being overrun by any leftover Guardians.

I could be wrong but I think we only have Earth and Mars as are primarly population centers. If the efforts of our diplomats fail then war would follow in short order. How confident are you that we can hold our home system? If calamity strikes and our military forces are pushed aside all of humanity could be wiped out. We have too many eggs in one basket. If we set up colonies on Dravar XV then at least we have a fallback position.

Yeah....feed me.

You ain't being recommended for love (ask Stuckenschmidt if you need some :p) but rather to facilitate the efficient training of the fleet and its officers - moving you up also frees one destroyer for another capable captain. The navy is not operating at your convenience, Soldier!

You`re sending bad vibrations into the Universe and disturb its harmony. That`s not good for your Karma.

Yes, perhaps I should say a few words on my scheme for career-paths.

The typical Naval career path will start in scout ships (commanded by Commanders), and as armed ships become available the Commanders will typically be promoted to Captain and offered command of the smallest available armed ship... a Destroyer or Frigate. I say "typically" because, just as in a real navy, there will be some exceptions... some people might be brought in from another branch, or even given a "head start" over other qualified people. Advancement in real navies operates by a combination of seniority, merit, personal bias, good-old-boy networking, and clerical errors.... and mine likely will as well.

As larger ships become available (Carriers, etc), they will usually be offered to a senior officer, who will hand over his current command to someone not quite as senior, who will hand over his own command to someone in a still smaller ship... and eventually, it trickles down to giving a small warship to someone who was running an unarmed vessel (often, a Scout) and offering that unarmed vessel to someone with a still less valuable command. Commanders of Naval Auxiliaries (Freighters, Tankers, Colony Ships, Tugs, etc) would aim for getting their hands on a Scout, as a stepping-stone to breaking into the "armed warship" club.

There's a lot of sense in using the Scout pilots as a source of our warship pilots... for one thing, Scouts are the most likely characters to end up killed. They accept that risk when signing up for the duty, and risk should offer some reward... in this case, advancement to a warship. They also skill up quickly, since they are constantly in action out at the frontier.

Naturally I will make occasional exceptions to this usual career path... for merit, from favoritism, or simply by mistake... but real navies operate that way, too, and I hope everybody will accept it in the proper spirit.

Yes, perhaps I should say a few words on my scheme for career-paths.

Yessir, but as you can see from my response, the recommendation was made purely to facilitate a more efficient training of the fleet and officers - exactly according to the principles you laid out above. Billy Bob is the most experienced combat pilot of the three new ones, and also the first one to be appointed. Thus, it makes sense to (presuming the training goes well) consider him for the first promotion to the available cruiser.