Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do the Precursors respawn?

Not sure... I'm a noob.

Well... given the continuing thunderstorm and the time (it's 3:00 in the morning, here), I guess I should call it a night and go to bed. We'll pick this up again tomorrow. The general situation is certainly looking better now than it has since we sighted that first squadron of five Prix Cruisers. What an epic battle, so far!

Praise be to blue emu, commander of both our fleet and our hearts! I have the utmost confidence in your tactical assessment and hope that the sacrifices we have made and will continue to make in this battle will be fully justified after a very intense scavenging of the star system.

Glroy to earth, glory to Emu, we shall destroy those precursor prix, and show them that no culture, no matter how advanced, will ever survive the terran onslaught!

Withdraw and restock is the only prudent choice really, if it is possible now.

The hard working colonists of the Nexus break have prepared a celebratory song in case of victory, based on a battle from ancient Terra . It has prematurely leaked out.

[video=youtube;3AV11XaOdfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AV11XaOdfg&feature=related[/video]

Fight on! :D

Earth earns its spurs in space!
No one can stop our eventual domination of the Galaxy!

Earth earns its spurs in space!
No one can stop our eventual domination of the Galaxy!

Hush! You might attract the one force that can stop us.

The Pink Rabbit.
So Shush!

They're currently showing Starship Troopers on TV here. I have to say that our intel screw up could have gone a lot worse than it did :D

Still, we're going to need a rethink before we think about taking on the Eridani Prix, or even the Seals. I wouldn't want a nasty surprise that the world of theirs we discovered was just an outpost, or that they had friends. Our ships have held out better than expected, and it's very valuable knowing that, but we need multi-AU scale sensors or next time luck could go the other way.

A tip :)

On the bottom of the Contacts tab of the system map window, there is a checkbox called "SM: Spacetime-bubble in this system". If you click this, time will stop everywhere else in the universe apart from this system :)

This means the game will calculate the battle and increment the turns far more quickly because it only has to worry about one system. This is ideal for large, complex battles restricted to a single system that will only take a few hours of game time to resolve. Don't forget to switch it off again afterwards :)

The tooltip for the checkbox is incorrect

A tip :)

On the bottom of the Contacts tab of the system map window, there is a checkbox called "SM: Spacetime-bubble in this system". If you click this, time will stop everywhere else in the universe apart from this system :)

mhh i couldn´t find this option there, tried in SM too just in case.

a question about the contact list. is there a way to save the information given there ? found a couple of small precursor outposts located on asteroids and im quite allergic to pen and paper :D

mhh i couldn´t find this option there, tried in SM too just in case.

a question about the contact list. is there a way to save the information given there ? found a couple of small precursor outposts located on asteroids and im quite allergic to pen and paper :D

You could either mark them with a waypoint or turn on lost contacts, which will show you old contact information

You could either mark them with a waypoint or turn on lost contacts, which will show you old contact information

tried with lost contacts already but it doesn´t show the data. i already cleaned out the two populated asteroids i encountered, i´ll try again next time. there is however a populated planet, and there too it doesn´t show me the contact data. but waypoints would do just fine i guess. thank you.

EDIT: Holy Crap! a size TWENTY-NINE secondary explosion tears Beki 002 apart! Scratch one Prix Cruiser!
So, either they had a full and insanely big magazine, or Beki is a beam ship with a massive reactor. Considering they weren't firing missiles at us, I think we can fairly assume Beki is a beam weapon ship.

Revenge is sweet, take that, Prix :p

Do the Precursors respawn?
Not sure. They're meant to be automated defense, leftover of ancient civilizations that disappeared or were destroyed - in fact when you dig into ruins, you can find robots guarding them.
On the other hand, I've recently scoured a system of Precursos warships, sent my fleet to orbit the habitable planets with active sensors, seen nothing there, yet when a geo-scout came to survey the system, weirdly, there were 2 PCDs active on that planet, and it got shot down :eek:

I agree with Blue Emu's plan. If we have low missiles stocks, we should repair and reload ordnance, then come back.

AOn the bottom of the Contacts tab of the system map window, there is a checkbox called "SM: Spacetime-bubble in this system". If you click this, time will stop everywhere else in the universe apart from this system :)
This means the game will calculate the battle and increment the turns far more quickly because it only has to worry about one system. This is ideal for large, complex battles restricted to a single system that will only take a few hours of game time to resolve.
Oh, excellent!

Precursors don't respawn. They are generated when the system is generated and when you kill them, they stay dead :) Bear in mind though that all the precursors in a system may not be in the same place, so you may think you killed them all but some may still be lurking.

@SteveW

What defines the required rank of a naval vessel commander ? let´s say i have built a 9000t warship and it says R3 required, yet when i design a bigger version (~ 16000t) of that ship with even more armor, weapons etc. it says R1 ?

Precursors don't respawn. They are generated when the system is generated and when you kill them, they stay dead :) Bear in mind though that all the precursors in a system may not be in the same place, so you may think you killed them all but some may still be lurking.

Very good to know, thanks. I assume that it is indeed possible for there to be more of them than the nine that we've spotted.

@SteveW

What defines the required rank of a naval vessel commander ? let´s say i have built a 9000t warship and it says R3 required, yet when i design a bigger version (~ 16000t) of that ship with even more armor, weapons etc. it says R1 ?

You set it yourself. The R3 etc. is only a guide. Go to the DAC / Rank / Information tab on the F5 class window, choose a suitable rank and class priority for the design and press Set. The class priority means within a given rank, classes with higher priorities will be assigned officers first. A ship will not be automatically assigned an officer with a rank more than 2 above the set rank, so if you set R1 as the preferred rank, the automated assignments will never assign anyone higher than R3.

You set it yourself. The R3 etc. is only a guide. Go to the DAC / Rank / Information tab on the F5 class window, choose a suitable rank and class priority for the design and press Set. The class priority means within a given rank, classes with higher priorities will be assigned officers first. A ship will not be automatically assigned an officer with a rank more than 2 above the set rank, so if you set R1 as the preferred rank, the automated assignments will never assign anyone higher than R3.

D'OH !. i noticed that some time ago, but must have forgotten about it. there is alot of stuff you need to get used to. take that as a compliment, as soon as i found out about Aurora in Blue Emu´s threads, i haven´t touched anything else on my computer.

Back to the battle!

We have one 46-missile spread running out to target, divided into one salvo of six missiles against the most seriously damaged ship, and two spreads of twenty (five four-missile salvos each) against the two strongest opponents. Further spreads are on hold pending a damage assessment.

The spreads should impact over the next thirty seconds or so... range-to-target now down to 0.8 m-km for the closes ship, 1.35 m-km for the furthest. The Prix Cruisers are about 3.5 m-km from our Rocks, and about 5 m-km from our battle fleet.