Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Check my edit.

Does it need to be faster than the Prix? Unless it gets ambushed near the jump point, it should have a long enough warning time to get away. How far are your jump points from possible Prix planets? I estimate you can scan an area up to 10 AU from them and get away.

Alternatively, you could just make the investment and scout with near impunity. We really don't want another ambush, however well the first one ended up.

About the fighters and the FAC. I really like the new fighters BTW. You should be able to churn them out really quickly. But I fail to see the difference, and the point, of the FAC as they currently are. Aren't the fighers our FAC (and damn, thats fast)? Maybe the FAC:s should instead be designed to be used as interceptors? I fail to see the point of something with barely any ammo, and yet big and slow enough to be hit, without defenses, that is just a firing platform. Gnats/streakers should fill that role aswell.

One Carrier-load of FAC can carry 160% of the alpha-strike load-out of a Carrier-load of Fighters, and has the same reload time. I intended this model mainly for Colony defense... once your colonies reach a certain size (and ours are indeed reaching that size now) the people get upset if there are no warships guarding their star system, and FAC are far cheaper and quicker to produce than regular warships. They also have a much higher first-strike capability than a regular warship. One 1000-ton FAC can put as many first-strike missiles on-target as 48,000 tons of Light Cruisers... and when I fit the next model with Box Launchers, the ratio will be closer to 1000-tons vs 60,000-tons.

Does it need to be faster than the Prix? Unless it gets ambushed near the jump point, it should have a long enough warning time to get away. How far are your jump points from possible Prix planets? I estimate you can go up to 10 AU from them.

Alternatively, you could just make the investment and scout with near impunity. We really don't want another ambush, however well the first one ended up.

If it's signifigantly faster than the Prix, it can explore the system with near-impunity, since it would take about three Prix Cruisers, converging on it from different directions, to bring it into engagement range.

There's a role available for both designs... a 6500 kps version to operate as part of the fleet, and a 9600 kps version for independant deep-penetration scouting.

If we have the slips for it, by all means build both. If it's a choice, I'd go with the high speed version - the extra capability should make it more useful, and we have the Spy class for fleet roles.

If we have the slips for it, by all means build both. If it's a choice, I'd go with the high speed version - the extra capability should make it more useful, and we have the Spy class for fleet roles.

I'm retooling a yard now for the faster version.

If only real governments were as effective and decisive as emuocracies.

Would I be correct in saying this is our first class of full ship to match the Prix for speed? Quite a milestone, given that first battle we were crawling at 4000 kps.

Would I be correct in saying this is our first class of full ship to match the Prix for speed? Quite a milestone, given that first battle we were crawling at 4000 kps.

Except for Fighters, yes. Of course, this class of ship carries no weapons, armor, shields or jump-drive. All it carries is a sensor, plus the minimum infrastructure (engines, life support, fuel tanks, etc) needed to operate.

I like the fact that over 1% light speed is "crawling".

Except for Fighters, yes. Of course, this class of ship carries no weapons, armor, shields or jump-drive. All it carries is a sensor, plus the minimum infrastructure (engines, life support, fuel tanks, etc) needed to operate.

True, but it does have 2500 tonnes of sensors. You could fit a basic weapon system and some armour in that space if proving the point were at all important.

Edit:

I like the fact that over 1% light speed is "crawling".

I did too :D Isn't semi-realistic space travel wonderful in the way it makes terran scales seem insignificant?

Ok, the use of them as Planetary defence seems nice. Real cowardice though on the pilots who have volounteered to fly them. At least the engineers see plenty of action, fighting mecha warriors and all that. What are my bonuses by the way?

The advantage of the really fast streakers is that they can send the alpha strike quite quickly, and away from the fleet, then return, re-arm and re-Alpha under the cover of the fleet protection. Not to mention that they might be able to deliver their salvo from a quite short distance due to their size and speed (making them difficult to hit).

The 28 Streakers would have say 24 missiles carriers, and 3 spotters, deliver a load of 24 really fast size 6 missiles (since we can save on fuel in the missiles if we intend to send them much closer), wich we can assume might get through PD to a higher degree than slower missiles fired from further out. In comparison the FAC would deliver 160% larger salvoe, but from further away, and they have a larger risk of getting picked off during the engagement, prior to delivering their weapons. So both the weapons carrier, as well as the weapon itself would have a lower penetration toward the target. On top of that this is a more expensive weapons system, which takes longer to build, and cannot be built in normal factories.

Our allies have given us two techs on the same turn... Particle Beam Strength 3 from the Seals, and Particle Beam Strength 6 from the Charlies.
So, the Seals might not be as retarded as we first thought? Interesting...

Ok, the use of them as Planetary defence seems nice. Real cowardice though on the pilots who have volounteered to fly them. At least the engineers see plenty of action, fighting mecha warriors and all that.

The advantage of the really fast streakers is that they can send the alpha strike quite quickly, and away from the fleet, then return, re-arm and re-Alpha under the cover of the fleet protection. Not to mention that they might be able to deliver their salvo from a quite short distance due to their size and speed (making them difficult to hit).

The 28 Streakers would have say 24 missiles carriers, and 3 spotters, deliver a load of 24 really fast size 6 missiles (since we can save on fuel in the missiles if we intend to send them much closer), wich we can assume might get through PD to a higher degree than slower missiles fired from further out. In comparison the FAC would deliver 160% larger salvoe, but from further away, and they have a larger risk of getting picked off during the engagement, prior to delivering their weapons. So both the weapons carrier, as well as the weapon itself would have a lower penetration toward the target. On top of that this is a more expensive weapons system, which takes longer to build, and cannot be built in normal factories.

FAC that operate with the Fleet (ie: from Carriers) wouldn't have much chance of being picked off, since they only launch in order to fire their missile load, then immediately land aboard again. In that short time interval, the enemy missiles couldn't TRAVEL the distance from the enemy formation to our fleet. How could they hit the FACs, if the FACs are back inside the hangars before the salvo arrives?

Another point to bear in mind is that you are comparing first-generation FACs with third-generation Fighters. Wait until we get Box Launchers on those FACs, and use the tonnage saved to either speed them up, or carry even more weapons (or armor).

What are my bonuses by the way?

Ground Forces Training 50, Ground Combat +23%, Xenology +3%, Delegates easily, Flexible and Pragmatic, Organized, No outside interests.

The Combined Fleet has arrived in the Wolf 294 system, split into two balanced groups, and will now attempt to sneak up on those annoying Prix vessels.

G049_Hunt.jpg

Shhhhh... be vewy, vewy qwiet... we'we hunting Pwix!

Pwix twacks!

Kill the pwix, kill the pwix, kill the pwix!

Assuming that I can reach my jump-off positions on both sides of them, without alarming them prematurely... should I then just charge straight at them?... or try something like this:

G050_Hunt.jpg

Assuming they'll run from contact, might be worth surrounding them on four sides, lighting them up with active sensors on three sides and preparing to fight them on the fourth.

I'd say go for the 'single split' 2 force approach first, if they manage to evade, you can then split the group up futher, but just in case they actually shoot back, I'd hate to make it possible to fight just 1/4th of the fleet at a time...
...though I suppose you have better force appriciation at this point, if you feel confortable with the quarters, why not.

Assuming they'll run from contact, might be worth surrounding them on four sides, lighting them up with active sensors on three sides and preparing to fight them on the fourth.

Naturally, the more groups that I divide into, the better my chances of intercepting them... but the weaker the intercepting group will be.

For combat vessels, I have four Heavy Cruisers, six Light Cruisers, six Destroyers, and six Carriers. The Monitor hardly counts (although it might surprise us all), and the Command Cruisers and Ammo Tenders carry nothing but short-range PD missiles. The Gauss PD vessels have a range of only 20,000 km or so, while the Spy vessels are entirely unarmed.

... so basically, I have 22 armed vessels, not counting the Monitor, Command Cruisers or Ammo Tenders. That`s only five or six per group, if we split into four groups. Plus the Fighters.

We have recovered another Genetic Modification Center, and another free tech... this one is a genetic modification that will allow colonists to withstand a greater degree of heat or cold (+/- 1 degree C).

EDIT: And speaking of Colonists... the terraforming project on Mars has raised the average global temperature up to PLUS two-and-three-quarters degrees Centigrade, more than fifty degrees higher than it was in 2025. Now all we need to do is to finish adjusting the Oxygen balance, and Mars will be a class-0 world.

Can you actually use these Genetic Modification Centers you keep finding?

Also, is there any benefit to making Mars more earth-like or is class 0 as good as it gets? It still seems fairly chilly.