Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We now have 367 automated mines on Moria, and the planet is producing 37,120 minerals per year. If we can double this over the next couple of years, our resource problems should be solved for a long time to come.

EDIT: Jeeze... I hadn't realized that Moria was such a hell-hole when I set my mining operation up there... the surface temperature is over 2000 degrees, and the pressure is 169 atmospheres, with 97% Carbon Dioxide. What a dump. Looks like I'll be spending my vacation somewhere else.

Solution is simple, plant a bunch of palm trees.

EDIT: Jeeze... I hadn't realized that Moria was such a hell-hole when I set my mining operation up there... the surface temperature is over 2000 degrees, and the pressure is 169 atmospheres, with 97% Carbon Dioxide. What a dump. Looks like I'll be spending my vacation somewhere else.
I'm amused when my ships go to survey such planets and don't have any scratch after that. I'm even more amazed when you can actually put plenty of stuff there, mine them, and nothing ever seems to burn. I mean, shouldn't most of these minerals actually be in a liquid form? :D

A word of caution when designing box launchers:
The chosen tech in the reload rate drop-down has no effect on the speed at which the launchers can be reloaded... but it does have an effect on the cost of the launchers. Pick the "worst" one for cheaper box launchers.

Made of diamond.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to bombard the planet to smithereens and hope the resulting dust cloud would cool the planet down significantly?

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to bombard the planet to smithereens and hope the resulting dust cloud would cool the planet down significantly?

Significant in this case being from 2000 degrees to 1500 degrees :p

Since my Freighters are too busy hauling away loot from El Dorado to spend their time moving terraforming stations from one planet to another, I have continued to terraform Mars even after it has reached class-0 status. The average surface temperature is now nearly +10 C.

Since my Freighters are too busy hauling away loot from El Dorado to spend their time moving terraforming stations from one planet to another, I have continued to terraform Mars even after it has reached class-0 status. The average surface temperature is now nearly +10 C.

Is there a bonus?

Roleplaying bonus that is.

They've already got the same shields as a Heavy Cruiser, a CIWS PD battery (Close In Weapons System), six PD missile launchers under direction of two PD Fire Control systems (for engaging two incoming salvos simultaneously), and one layer of armor. I cannot improve on that without either reducing the hangar space, or cutting back on the magazine space. There is simply not much wasted space in a 20,000-ton design. I cannot reduce the fuel tankage since each air-strike uses 225,000 litres of fuel.

I was more arguing against suggested paper tiger carrier designs that others seemed to be advocating, and what seems implied in your US vs UK carrier doctrine discussion.

I'm amused when my ships go to survey such planets and don't have any scratch after that. I'm even more amazed when you can actually put plenty of stuff there, mine them, and nothing ever seems to burn. I mean, shouldn't most of these minerals actually be in a liquid form? :D

Melting points are affected by extreme pressures..

take a look at this for an example;

Phase_diagram_of_water.svg

(unfortunately, it insists on being shrunk :( )

Now, granted, for water, at 200atm, you don't see much of a difference yet, but for other materials you might (unfortunately, phase diagrams aren't that easy to come by)

Not to mention that, e.g. Tungsten has a melting point at atmospheric pressure of 3422 degree Celsius.

Last edited:
It wouldn't make it easier on our colonists there to warm it up some more?

Roleplaying bonus that is.

Yes, it's just for role-play reasons. I would move them to Dravar XV if I had spare freighters... 38 Freighters to service six planets, and every one is busy; and not only busy, every one has a long list of jobs to do as soon as they get a spare moment.

It wouldn't make it easier on our colonists there to warm it up some more?

An average global temperature of 10 C means that it might be as low as 0 C in some places, or as high as 20 C in others... pretty much like Earth.

EDIT:

By the way... one small change made just as construction was beginning managed to reduce the size of the Streak Fighters by another 5 tons (0.1 Hull Squares), which should allow one additional Fighter to be squeezed into the hangar deck.

EDIT again:

Actually, two more... from 45 per Carrier up to 47. We needed a shoe-horn to squeeze the last one in... it leaves only 0.1 HS unused in the Hangar Deck.

Last edited:
Are we building more freighters? Have these new ones got updated designs?

Are we building more freighters? Have these new ones got updated designs?

The old ones have almost all been updated with new engines. A more complete rebuild would have taken them out of service for too long. I am building more non-stop.

... so if we were operating six Constellations with six Mountains, all loaded with Streaks, our alpha strike would be with 420 Fighters.

EDIT: Found another terraforming station, and another free tech: terraforming rate 0.0025

Last edited: