Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rush, sir! Fortune favours the bold, and the god helps those who help themselves! :mad: Colonize the nexus.

Commander Stonewall of ESNA Agora is now departing Earth, along with the Freighters ESNA Amalthea, ESNA Hansa and ESNA Red Dwarf plus the Tanker ESNA Chinook, en-route to The Nexus to establish the Earth's second interstellar colony... and the first one that we've attempted to set up beyond the disputed Ross 248 system.

May it be possible to have on the first post an always up to date galaxy map, fleet list/location? Just to make it easier for people to follow.

A galaxy map, possibly. A fleet list would take quite a bit of time to maintain properly. There's one in the other thread already, and I have a difficult time keeping it maintained.

Time to write my will...

The Nexus is, thankfully, right beyond Ross 248. With the Charlie jumpgate leading there, it's basically 1 jump away, so no more than our Procyon/Dravar XV colony.

Having a not-too-outdated galaxy map on 1st post would indeed be nice :) Though no need to update it every time you find a new jump point; it would be too tiresome, I think. Asking for more info would be asking a bit too much.

Galaxy Map on post #1 updated as of September 30th, 2028.

When I come to think about it, would it actually be possible to colonize a comet? Like a population of 1k persons :p

When I come to think about it, would it actually be possible to colonize a comet? Like a population of 1k persons :p

Nope... they list as "N/A" (not applicable, ie: can't be done) under "Colonization cost". It might be possible to park an Orbital Habitat on one, though.

I think all comets and asteroids have a too low gravity to even have a colony cost. Of course if you fiddled with your races gravity range in game setup, you might be able to get colonies on them.

I think all comets and asteroids have a too low gravity to even have a colony cost. Of course if you fiddled with your races gravity range in game setup, you might be able to get colonies on them.

Studying Biology techs will allow you to create mutant sub-races which have different atmospheric, temperature or gravity tolerances.

Commander Stonewall of ESNA Agora is now departing Earth, along with the Freighters ESNA Amalthea, ESNA Hansa and ESNA Red Dwarf plus the Tanker ESNA Chinook, en-route to The Nexus to establish the Earth's second interstellar colony... and the first one that we've attempted to set up beyond the disputed Ross 248 system.

Boldly go, where no man (besides the Scout) has gone before. *nods*

Do we have a scout in Ross 248? I mean, is the route clear?

Wel lets hope the don't stumble over charly warships...

Stuckenschmidt said:
is the route clear?

We've sent scouts through there relatively recently, and there were no Charlies in sight.

... if they detect your ships your relations will go down depending on the tonnage of the ships.

Only if they have a colony in the system. They might. We haven't seen one.

Ah my bad.

How come we you in the red? Is it the ship building or the research?

Everything added together. Research, upgrading drydocks, building PDCs, missiles and fighters, building automated mines, building ships and maintaining them, maintaining our colonies, converting Sorium to fuel... we're just expanding faster than our budget really allows. It seems like a good idea to me, though. Get the jump on the competition.

... and speaking of getting the Jump on the competition... a team of researchers on Earth led by Professor Morozov has made a breakthough which promises to give us more efficient Jump drives, 25% smaller than existing models. Considering that a Jump drive for a 15,000-ton warship occupies 100 hull-squares, a 25% reduction will allow us to carry more engines and/or weapons... perhaps a CIWS.

It will be a couple of years longer before Professor Morozov's theoretical breakthough can be translated into designs for ship components, though. Perhaps two and a half years.

Some news from our xeno-archeological digs on Dravar XV: the 32nd Engineer Brigade under Brigadier Quift has uncovered an alien Fighter Factory which can be adapted to produce our own design of Fighters. Work continues on the remaining eight ruined sites.

Some news from our xeno-archeological digs on Dravar XV: the 32nd Engineer Brigade under Brigadier Quift has uncovered an alien Fighter Factory which can be adapted to produce our own design of Fighters. Work continues on the remaining eight ruined sites.

Good news for the planetary defense. Too bad, we`re close to bankrupt.

I want to state my reservations on setting up a new colony so soon when Dravar XV has yet to be fully exploited. My preference is still for dividing all resources, both civilian and military, between Earth and Dravar XV. Dravar XV could elevate us to the status of Galactic superpower. It seems foolhardy to disperse our strength in such a haphazard manner.

I am alarmed by these new jump gates the Charlies have constructed. It is the height of presumption to enter our systems and build these contraptions when we have no formal treaties. And the newest of these gates will be heading towards my colony in the Procyon system. That the Charlies have the riches and resources to construct such vast installations speaks volumes. There grasp is almost certainly equal to their reach.

We are starting a new colony without any firm understanding of the Charlies' intentions. The Charlies are also building a galactic superhighway straight to our treasure world of Dravar XV. As Governor-General of Dravar XV I must state that our current defenses are manifestly inadequate to defending the Secrets of the Precursors. We apparently have some marines and a lone missile base. And yet here we are setting up a new colony which will doubtless require that even more resources be siphoned from Dravar XV.