Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've just realized that there's a mouse-over tool-tip that tells me what we need for treaties. A trade treaty (the easiest type) requires +200. "Friendly" status requires +800. "Allied" status requires +4000. Currently +93

Screw that. Lets blow up some aliens.

I've just realized that there's a mouse-over tool-tip that tells me what we need for treaties. A trade treaty (the easiest type) requires +200. "Friendly" status requires +800. "Allied" status requires +4000. Currently +93

Wow, this game is going for the long haul. But we`re half way to a trade treaty. Say, do active treaties accelerate the speed with which our relations improve?

Wow, this game is going for the long haul. But we`re half way to a trade treaty. Say, do active treaties accelerate the speed with which our relations improve?

They either speed up the monthly gain, or give us a lump-sum bonus. Not sure which. I'm a noob, remember.

There's a very real risk that the more we explore the more enemies spawn.
That's OK... I fully expect to get us all killed at some point. This game is the Dwarf Fortress of 4x Space Games.

Dwarves in Space!

That's OK... I fully expect to get us all killed at some point. This game is the Dwarf Fortress of 4x Space Games.

Dwarves in Space!

Speaking of which, this game has brought to my attention how incredibly horrendous the interface for DF is.

I like this game so far. It develops considerably fast when it comes to stellar exploration and considerably slow when it comes to colonization / research / shipbuilding. As I said, I´m in it next winter. Maybe there are more patches until then.

Lt-Commander Nabobalis is pilot of the eighth Fighter in Squadron #2 (Cossacks) under CO Konstantin Shepardovsky

Fleet Init 119, FTR bonus 25%, Espionage 30%, Athiest, Cold Manner.

Thank you :D

I like this game so far. It develops considerably fast when it comes to stellar exploration and considerably slow when it comes to colonization / research / shipbuilding. As I said, I´m in it next winter. Maybe there are more patches until then.

Probably no new patches for a while yet.

They either speed up the monthly gain, or give us a lump-sum bonus. Not sure which. I'm a noob, remember.

And, if I understand the wiki correctly, if you have a trade treaty, commercial vessels inside alien systems do not lead to a relation degradation: "If they have a population in the system, they don't want you there. If you have a trade agreement with them they make an exception for all commercial classed ships."

Which means that if we can enter a trade treaty, our brave scouts can continue exploration.

EDIT: or not:
This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes.

Dwarves in Space!
Sounds like a goblin's crazy idea.

What I'm expecting quite soon is us finding a new alien race. Or a bunch of pissed off Precursor ships many techs ahead of us :D

So, basically, the Charlies are blockading a system that we have first claim to (as far as we know) - I say we blast them to smithereens as soon as possible - just don't let the diplomats know we're essentially just stalling for time.

It's not formally aggression what they're doing, but it isn't exactly friendly either.

What IS curious, however, is that they appear to not have made any attempt to jump through to Ross-bignumber.

So, basically, the Charlies are blockading a system that we have first claim to (as far as we know) - I say we blast them to smithereens as soon as possible - just don't let the diplomats know we're essentially just stalling for time.

It's not formally aggression what they're doing, but it isn't exactly friendly either.

What IS curious, however, is that they appear to not have made any attempt to jump through to Ross-bignumber.

It might have to come to this, I've always found diplomacy rather slow.

Trade, trade, trade, trade with mighty corporation!

This moment was brought to you by Sing-alongs with Elan.

Known Space:
G_085_KnownSpace.jpg
Any idea what the dark blue ring around Gliese 687 means?
I take it the light blue rings means moderately habitable planets being colonised by us. Red ring means "not-entirely-surveyed for jump points".
Green ring probably means we have a fully-developed settelement in a fully habitable world.

Arnold "Kiwi" Rimmer, commissioned on ESNA Red Dwarf freighter.
ESNA Schnitzel renamed as ESNA Hansa due to officer begging.

Lurkenius should be in contact with our personel department.

You'd get health issues too, with all those pinko liberal alien lovers flying around in uniform. :mad: High blood pressure, most likely.

What we should do is: As soon as ships are tanked & repaired, issue a permanent scout to Ross248 and another one on stuve 2998. Second, if we can expedite the matter, we will start researching mines. As soon as our new cruisers are trained, we take them out for a long walk. We deploy mines at the same time (preferably in massive quantity) around the sole known exit of Groombridge 1618. We then move our entire fleet to groombridge 34 and blast everything in the system. As soon as that is done, tuggers bring the alien ship remains to earth for research, Int Ops interviews all possible captives and the fleet will take positions in Ross System. We immediately ship all the necessary elements for a colony to Groombridge 34 and claim the system. The mines should hopefully give any charlies ships who jump a whole lotta things to worry about - we might even park our fleet in Stuve 2998 if possible. In the worst case scenario where the aliens come in force, we then mine the ross 248 jump point too and park our fleet to shoot from behind the mines.

Alternative plan: We colonize stuve 2998 first, and pack it with planetary defense & fighter bases. We can use the colony and its factories for producing mines in situ -> then we move for Groombridge 34.

Last edited:
Let's be honest:

we have no clue AT ALL what these aliens are capable off. Well, militarily at least. We only know they can build massive ships. Planning a war on such flimsy information seems a horrible idea. We should keep up our diplomatic efforts so we can safely send scouts deep into their space, while simply assuming they pose no threat as they have not struck so far. If they strike us, then we respond. Until then, we try to avoid hostilities.

For all we know one ship of theirs can blast our entire to-be-completed fleet out of the sky.

Blue tells that it´s an uncolonized world with a colony cost less than 2 in the system.
The blue spot indeed signals a planet easy to colonise. But the dark blue ring around the system? Is it there just to confirm the blue dot, or does it have another meaning? Like, habitable planet being colonised (in which case, it's settled by someone else).

About the Charlies, we shouldn't forget that they might have another way to come into our own space. We haven't explored all the jump points and don't have any indication about Groombridge 34's other jump points.

But I'd rather wait until we have a trade treaty, and can scout a bit their space without losing much diplo relationship. After that, we can decide if they're hostile or a roadblock too big to leave on our path.

star-trek-KHAN.jpg

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT​

Since I am no longer on the diplomatic corp, just plunk me down whereever you want. I am not picky.

What we should do is: As soon as ships are tanked & repaired, issue a permanent scout to Ross248 and another one on stuve 2998. Second, if we can expedite the matter, we will start researching mines. As soon as our new cruisers are trained, we take them out for a long walk. We deploy mines at the same time (preferably in massive quantity) around the sole known exit of Groombridge 1618. We then move our entire fleet to groombridge 34 and blast everything in the system. As soon as that is done, tuggers bring the alien ship remains to earth for research, Int Ops interviews all possible captives and the fleet will take positions in Ross System. We immediately ship all the necessary elements for a colony to Groombridge 34 and claim the system. The mines should hopefully give any charlies ships who jump a whole lotta things to worry about - we might even park our fleet in Stuve 2998 if possible. In the worst case scenario where the aliens come in force, we then mine the ross 248 jump point too and park our fleet to shoot from behind the mines.

Reminds me of an old joke:

A: Do you suffer from megalomania?
B: No. I enjoy it.