Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was away for 2 days and this thread moves at light-speed. How the hell did we win that?

I was away for 2 days and this thread moves at light-speed. How the hell did we win that?

I haven't a clue. Unshakable nerve played a role. Unbelievable luck probably played a larger role, though. Those Prix should have totally kicked our asses.

I concur on the ECCM / ECM / sensor / fire control upgrades. Next: Missiles, and running out of them. We need a missile carrier; had our carriers not lost its fighter force, we would have been dry really early. And it ought to be a fighting vessel, with decent armour to fly with the main battle group and restock on the go.

It takes the fighters so long to rearm that I don't think that would have mattered a whole lot, it is hard to tell without knowing exactly how close we cut it on ammo. With a 36 minute reload time the fighters are not likely to ever load a third savlo before one side or the other is gone.

Please Emu,

Give a look at this idea of mine,
Mini Rocks, ie FAC which are transported by one of your Carriers (10 of them in 6000 ton hangar) and launched in battle to soack up enemy fire:

Mini Rock class Fast Decoy Craft 600 tons 33 Crew 130 BP TCS 12 TH 42 EM 0
10000 km/s Armour 8-6 Shields 0-0 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 0 PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 120% IFR: 1.7% Maint Capacity 0 MSP Max Repair 52 MSP Est Time: 0 Years

GB Ion Engine E70 (1) Power 120 Fuel Use 700% Signature 42 Armour 0 Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres Range 8.6 billion km (9 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR28-R500 (1) GPS 8000 Range 28.6m km Resolution 500

They are very fast, well armoured and very cheap to build.
The active sensor is there just to attract enemy, greatest resolution possible in size 1 to have big EM emission.

How do you like them ?

My best reading of the situation is that the enemy chronically underestimate how many missiles they need to take out the Rocks, thus fire what they deem sufficient for a "first strike", then switch target (since they think enough missiles have been fired). By the time Rock-A gets hit, they have run out of missiles already firing on other targets.

Well, fix would be
3. on Agincourt (the initial bigger missiles did not target fighters, I think?) IE. they targeted 'biggest' ship in the fleet
7. on fighters (who were between rocks and the fleet?)
I grant you, I can't explain why they changed rock midway, yet hmm, should count if we got equal number of salvos, I'm sure granite got hit more from the first missiles than basalt, but that might have been PD support...
But you might be right even so, insufficient data to conclude either theory as certain...

Imagine a medieval combat. We had some archers and a lot of unwashed flea-ridden peasants throwing stones, the other guys had some really well trained and well armed longbowmen. What happened was that the other guy concentrated on killing our peasants, so that our archers could pick his guys off. Oh, and he wasted like one thousand arrows on our two Tiger-II tanks. Read it, it's worth it :)

Please Emu,

Give a look at this idea of mine,
Mini Rocks, ie FAC which are transported by one of your Carriers (10 of them in 6000 ton hangar) and launched in battle to soack up enemy fire:

I was going to propose something similar, except that my propulsion tech is a bit more advanced so I was able to squeeze 10000km/s out of 800t thus was also able to put a bigger sensor there - range 80M for size 130. They are not meant to attract the enemy but give a quick looksee and get out before it gets too hot. I also designed a small 3000t FAC mothership with jump drive and fuel stores - drops the scout in and gets the hell out, then comes back in to retrieve it.

... it is hard to tell without knowing exactly how close we cut it on ammo.

We entered the system with nearly 1000 ASM. We left with 179. A full salvo requires 46... so that's less than four salvos left.

Please Emu,

Give a look at this idea of mine

These look very useful. It will take time, though, since we are only now researching an earlier (Nuclear Pulse) GB engine.

EDIT: actually, now that I've checked... we are only now researching "Fast Attack Engine", the base-level tech.

Last edited:
These look very useful. It will take time, though, since we are only now researching an earlier (Nuclear Pulse) GB engine.

Ah I didn't think you have not GB engine ! :(

Sorry but once you reseached Fast Attack Engine (4000 RP)
you could directly research the application for your Engine Technology ie GB Ion Engine, which is quite cheap, don't you ? :confused:

EDIT: Emu'ed again, I'm too slow typing

this thread has moved to the game forum. Sign up thread and Aurora general questions threads remain in OT.

If you need some ancillary threads here, to keep track of data or something, you may make them. :)

Thanks, Blade!

Shouldn't the other 2 threads be moved to the same place though? It will be weird to navigate back and forth through several lebvels on this bulletin board just to see if someone posted something in the other threads. Especially with the slightly unusual layout of these forums.

Shouldn't the other 2 threads be moved to the same place though? It will be weird to navigate back and forth through several lebvels on this bulletin board just to see if someone posted something in the other threads. Especially with the slightly unusual layout of these forums.

If Blue Emu wants, I will put them here; otherwise it is good for cross-traffic to have your sign up thread in the other forum- it is linked in the first post. And if you subscribe to it, you should be notified in your settings whenever someone posts there.

BTW what are you exactly researching right now ?

And what are you planning to research in the next round ( as soon as you finish the on-going ones) ?

What I meant with my comment was if we have a dedicated jump tender, we can free up space on the Agincourt for more armour and weapons.

Yes a dedicated jump tender/collier with nothing more then Jump Engine, a lot of magazines and as much as possible of armour could be usefull, imho.

Last edited:
Since the Prix sensors manage to detect the main fleet so early the Rocks "only" draws away some part of the enemies missiles.
In future battles against the Prix, is it a better tactic to send them in earlier to draw even more missiles upon them, with a huge risk of losing them?
Or is the Tactic we used in the previous battle better where the fire are spread out against (probably the whole) fleet?

Nabobalis said:
What I meant with my comment was if we have a dedicated jump tender, we can free up space on the Agincourt for more armour and weapons.

I'm planning to expand our Military in a balanced way, with about 1/3rd of the ships of each weight-class equipped with jump engines, and the other 2/3rds with extra weapons and armor instead. This will have to wait until we expand our resource-base though. We need more mines and more minerals more urgently than we need more warships.

BTW what are you exactly researching right now ?
And what are you planning to research in the next round ( as soon as you finish the on-going ones) ?

Current research is limited by our total of only 45 Labs. We are researching Far Ultraviolet Laser at 100% speed (25 labs), Nuclear Pulse Drone Engine at slow speed (5 labs), and one lab each for every remaining scientist, to keep them all fully employed so that they continue to gain skill... Terraforming Rate 0.0015, Genome Sequence Research, Command Module, Meson Focal Size 120 mm, Meson Focusing tech level 2, Delta Shields, Shield Regen Rate 2.5, Turret Tracking 5000 kps, Capacitor Recharge Rate 3, Ceramic Composite Armor, Active Grav Sensor 16, Fast Attack Craft Engine, Cloaking Theory, Microwave Focusing Tech 2, Damage Control... all 1 lab.

Note that we only have enough labs to research one tech at a time at full speed. Hopefully, cleaning up those Prix wrecks will give us several new Techs.

I'm open to suggestions as to what to research next.