+ Reply to Thread
Page 263 of 388 FirstFirst ... 163 188 213 238 253 261 262 263 264 265 273 288 313 338 363 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,260 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Can't we try the overload their PD first and if we can hit them that way we could finish the fight faster. Try a single salvo of every missile launcher that can fire a homing missile perhaps.

On the note of other Prix systems, if we can get a good idea of what is left in Wolf 294 we could then see if the fleet could be spilt.

I am also willing to volunteer the ESN Hastings for any close combat if needed!

Edit: Bad news

We'll have an easier time finishing off this system than going against unknown number of opponents in other systems, in my opinion.

Outrunning Prix would only be possible in the hyperdrive part of the system - assuming the scout has hyperdrive engine. Prix would be left behind fairly quickly then. Otherwise, it basically means our ship is lost :/

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Nabobalis View Post
    Can't we try the overload their PD first and if we can hit them that way we could finish the fight faster. Try a single salvo of every missile launcher that can fire a homing missile perhaps.
    If we try the overload trick first and it doesn't work, that would leave us rather short of missiles... what's our back-up plan? Trying the single-shot-decoy trick first takes longer, but doesn't use much ammo, so it leaves us lots of options if it doesn't work.

... as you may already have noticed, I'm a rather conservative strategist.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Can we refit the scouts with some very long range spy-class-like sensors?

EDIT: lots of posts coming up at once. Answered above.
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    If we try the overload trick first and it doesn't work, that would leave us rather short of missiles... what's our back-up plan? Trying the single-shot-decoy trick first takes longer, but doesn't use much ammo, so it leaves us lots of options if it doesn't work.
    In my head they are the same thing. If we shoot one missile at a time or if we shoot many and they get shot down. Then we are ridding them of their missile stock regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume HJ View Post
    Can we refit the scouts with some very long range spy-class-like sensors?
    Sensors would be massive at current tech.

... as you may already have noticed, I'm a rather conservative strategist.
    Sometimes a conservative needs to be kicked up the arse :P

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Yeah, Blue Emu largely addressed that possibility in-between when I started replying and when I finally pressed "post reply"
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume HJ View Post
    Yeah, Blue Emu largely addressed that possibility in-between when I started replying and when I finally pressed "post reply"
    He is the lord of edits!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

In my head they are the same thing. If we shoot one missile at a time or if we shoot many and they get shot down. Then we are ridding them of their missile stock regardless.
    ... but our decoy missiles are largely useless for bombardment. They only have a strength-1 warhead. Their best use is to get shot down, which means that each individual decoy missile uses up three Prix PD missiles. For that purpose, we don't WANT to overload their PD and slip some of the decoys through... they accomplish almost nothing if they get through without being shot down! I'm not interested in scoring strength-1 hits on these Prix ships. I want to break their PD defenses so that our Monitor can start scoring strength-9 hits in salvos of 40.

Naturally, I will save half of our decoys to provide "chaff" distractions for our overload salvos, if it looks like we can't run the Prix out of PD missiles.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

... but our decoy missiles are largely useless for bombardment. They only have a strength-1 warhead. Their best use is to get shot down, which means that each individual decoy missile uses up three Prix PD missiles. For that purpose, we don't WANT to overload their PD and slip some of the decoys through... they accomplish almost nothing if they get through without being shot down! I'm not interested in scoring strength-1 hits on these Prix ships. I want to break their PD defenses so that our Monitor can start scoring strength-9 hits in salvos of 40.

Naturally, I will save half of our decoys to provide "chaff" distractions for our overload salvos, if it looks like we can't run the Prix out of PD missiles.
    Fine :P You and your good English win this round.

IT would be pointless to overload PD with decoy missiles but if we can figure out how many tubes and their reload time we could intersperse the two salvos of missile types. (Probably a lot of work)

It would be pointless to overload PD with decoy missiles but if we can figure out how many tubes and their reload time we could intersperse the two salvos of missile types. (Probably a lot of work)
    That's the phase 2 plan, yes, if phase 1 doesn't work. I will save half of our decoys for that.

EDIT: with our Freighter force expanded to two dozen ships, I have called a halt to new Freighter construction and have started refitting our old, slow Mule class Freighters up to Mule-II standards. The first five Mules are in refit now.

I am bringing the Combined Fleet in for overhaul, preparatory to launching the third De-Prixification Operation scheduled for about three months from now.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I've been reading some of Steve's AARs on the Aurora forums and a couple of times he's used a trick where he fires missiles at a waypoint and has them hold there, then reloads and fires more and before the first missiles are out of fuel sends them all off against the target. If you've got sufficient range on your missiles (and if this trick still works), you could use it to send one massive salvo against the Prix rather than several waves.

It's probably better explained here:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1323.0.html

Therefore she decided to launch several waves of Kaga-3s and two hundred Rapiers at a waypoint just outside the orbit of the Moon, and also outside the range at which the Asian sensors could detect missiles. Once the later waves had caught up, the entire missile wave would be released to attack the Asian Federation.
    Also a cracking good read.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Keeper of the seven keys Lord Martin's Avatar
    200k clubVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Its a bit disturbing that the common link for those system (from our knowledge) are the Nexus.
    Since the custom avatars are gone, Im aiming at 1.000.000 posts instead!!!!
    998.333 posts left...

A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India Company CollectionDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Our fourth Battle class Heavy Cruiser, ESN Hastings, has been launched. Commodore Nabobalis has been assigned to command it. Captain Iche Bins has been transferred from his Fighter squadron to command of the Mountain-II class Light Carrier ESN Etna.
    Yay, Safety
    My first AAR- Germany, the power in the center of Europe more or less dead

Sole Survivor of Squadron #6, 'Night Owls', destroyed a Prix Cruiser to end the battle in Blue Emu's forum game 'Ad Astra'
    Best AAR ever: Golden Horde-Scourge from the East

Quote Originally Posted by Dewirix View Post
    I've been reading some of Steve's AARs on the Aurora forums and a couple of times he's used a trick where he fires missiles at a waypoint and has them hold there, then reloads and fires more and before the first missiles are out of fuel sends them all off against the target.
    He doesn't say how that trick is done, though... by using homing missiles and removing the waypoint to release them?

Chix detected in the Nexus system. Looks (and behaves) like a Gate Constructor.

The slower vessels have been dispatched ahead to the Sigma Draconis system, to prepare for the operation. We are now only waiting for the Monitor, which is 98% complete.

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    52 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

The slower vessels have been dispatched ahead to the Sigma Draconis system, to prepare for the operation. We are now only waiting for the Monitor, which is 98% complete.
    Sounds good!

Can't wait for the action to kick off!
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

+ Reply to Thread