+ Reply to Thread
Page 229 of 388 FirstFirst ... 129 154 179 204 219 227 228 229 230 231 239 254 279 304 329 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Pride of Nations500k club

Re-thinking about upgrading only your FCs for anti ship missiles this shouldn't take long time, I guess...
    Yet you need free slipways of course and if you're going to mount salvage-operation soon then better to wait.

What's your thoughts about researches after the brainstorming you asked for yesterday, I mean what you're going to focus your researches on in the light of last evenements ?

EDIT: my 2 cents about diplomacy,

1) that's true

2) mmmh I call it dubious this one, don't think they are that much advanced

3) good politician speech
    there is plenty of time to crush them if needed, otherwise just let them enjoy becoming citizen of the Blue Empire and paying taxes...
    Last edited by Amadeus; 30-05-2011 at 22:31.
    Proud ouwner of: EU EU2 HOI VIC HOI2 HOI2DD FTG ROME AOD CKDV EUIII Chronicles and also: GALCIV2 NCP PON

Sensors and Fire Control Scientist in "The Final Frontier" an Aurora OT Forum game

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
    Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
    Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2Semper Fi
    Victoria 2

A galactic federation... with Humans in the dominant position, of course... might suit our future plans for defense and expansion better than a rebellious conquered empire.
    This sounds like the better option to me. We already have a powerful enemy to deal with. It might take quite some time to exploit the treasures we steal from the wrecks of our enemies. And I assume we're still exploring the galaxy. Who know when and if we'll run into another advanced and hostile race? Charlies, Chix, and the Seals seem pretty friendly or at least not hostile. I think it would be a waste of resources to try to conquer them when we could simply trade.

And another point is that we've encountered a lot of empty and habitable planets that would either make good colonies or forward operating bases. Instead of spending lots of resources on large armies to subjugate friendly neighbors I think we would be better off exploiting the discoveries of our intrepid explorers.
    "People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook. I've earned everything I've got." -Richard M. Nixon

“The player is armed with a gun-most fortunately, because he is being assailed by a seemingly unending succession of hideous axe-wielding zombies… [T]he zombies have already knocked down and wounded several people, who are pleading pitiably for help; and one of the player's duties is to protect those unfortunates from renewed assaults by the zombies. His main task, however, is self-defense. Zombies are supernatural beings, therefore difficult to kill. Repeated shots are necessary to stop them as they rush headlong toward the player. He must not only be alert to the appearance of zombies from any quarter; he must be assiduous about reloading his gun periodically, lest he be overwhelmed by the rush of the zombies when his gun is empty.” American Amusement Machine Ass'n v. Kendrick, 244 F.3d 572 C.A.7 (Ind.),2001.

I dont think initiating hostilities with Charlies would be prudent for now, as they seem as advanced as us, but Space Seals and Chix are not advanced thus neither probable tech traders (even if willing) nor much of an obstacle (need more intel on this one). Incorporating a few million citizens in our ''Federation'' would be more profitable. Think of raw materials, money, tech labs and all that we could ''liberate'' from their current obviously corrupt and inefficient regime!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

My stand on the seals are the same, they're a threat to earthian security!

However, I has nothing against the Chix's, and the charlies are already on good terms with us
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Re-thinking about upgrading only your FCs for anti ship missiles this shouldn't take long time, I guess...
    Yet you need free slipways of course and if you're going to mount salvage-operation soon then better to wait.
    The main problem is that I can't just rip out the existing fire controls and replace them with larger ones... that would put me over the tonnage limit. I would need to make other alterations to the ships as well (less fuel tankage, fewer Engineering sections, smaller magazine, whatever), to keep them within the limits of my dry-dock capacity and jump-drive efficiency. That would increase the length of the refit, by creating more disparity between the old and new versions. Only if I wait for higher-tech FCs can I make a direct swap without any other alterations.

What's your thoughts about researches after the brainstorming you asked for yesterday, I mean what you're going to focus your researches on in the light of last evenements ?
    Haven't decided yet. The matter is not urgent... it can wait until the next Tech finishes.

2) We might obtain more Tech advance by making friends with the Charlies, Seal and Chix than by blowing up their ships and examining the bits.
    2) mmmh I call it dubious this one, don't think they are that much advanced
    Well.... you can't have it both ways.

If they are too primitive for us to gain much tech by diplomacy, then they are also too primative for us to gain much tech by fighting a war and examining the wreckage of their ships.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is RED. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use Black for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India Company CollectionDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    3) A galactic federation... with Humans in the dominant position, of course... might suit our future plans for defense and expansion better than a rebellious conquered empire.

Discuss.
    Aliens don't rebell
    My first AAR- Germany, the power in the center of Europe more or less dead

Sole Survivor of Squadron #6, 'Night Owls', destroyed a Prix Cruiser to end the battle in Blue Emu's forum game 'Ad Astra'
    Best AAR ever: Golden Horde-Scourge from the East

The Seals are weakling, so we won't gain much by having them as allies - on the other hand, they won't ever threaten us.

Whatever, the point of attacking any of these 3 species wouldn't be to gain techs but to gain minerals, and to an extent a sizable equipment already built on their homeworlds.
    Still, I'm not particularly a warmonger in this regard.

200k clubA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILead and GoldMagicka
    Majesty 2Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    2) We might obtain more Tech advance by making friends with the Charlies, Seal and Chix than by blowing up their ships and examining the bits.

3) A galactic federation... with Humans in the dominant position, of course... might suit our future plans for defense and expansion better than a rebellious conquered empire.
    Personally I think the Charlies are the only viable candidates who have technology beyond ours. Correct me if I'm wrong but neither the Seals or Chix have there own ships?

Also I agree with the idea of a Galactic Federation sounds much more profitable in the long run potentially and allow us to easier deal with actual aggressors to the Empire as opposed to splitting our military up to conquer and hold down rebellion.

Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Pride of Nations500k club

Well like GaiusC pointed out the main reason for attacking them is for sizing their homeworlds, minerals stocks and buildings
    but as long as you don't need these, then I say concentrate yourself on colonizing peacefully as fast as you can !

As colonies have much higher Annual Growth Rate in the long term expanding fast and spreading your population among many colonies will grant larger population, income and industrial output to the Blue Avian Empire
    Proud ouwner of: EU EU2 HOI VIC HOI2 HOI2DD FTG ROME AOD CKDV EUIII Chronicles and also: GALCIV2 NCP PON

Sensors and Fire Control Scientist in "The Final Frontier" an Aurora OT Forum game

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
    Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
    Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Yeah, leave the charlies, but I really think we'll gain more from invading & enslaving the seals, than we'll get from trading s:
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Will Lucky View Post
    Personally I think the Charlies are the only viable candidates who have technology beyond ours. Correct me if I'm wrong but neither the Seals or Chix have there own ships?
    We didn't see any... but we just popped in and popped out again, and haven't been back since.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Lucky View Post
    Also I agree with the idea of a Galactic Federation sounds much more profitable in the long run potentially and allow us to easier deal with actual aggressors to the Empire as opposed to splitting our military up to conquer and hold down rebellion.
    Yeah... they may some day be useful to us if we tech them up first. Or we could leave them as primitives and conquer them later. In either case, I would like to focus on cleaning the Prix out of Wolf 294... and then later, perhaps out of 82 Eridani as well. There should be another Prix outpost there.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is RED. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use Black for that.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Well like GaiusC pointed out the main reason for attacking them is for sizing their homeworlds, minerals stocks and buildings
    but as long as you don't need these, then I say concentrate yourself on colonizing peacefully as fast as you can !

As colonies have much higher Annual Growth Rate in the long term expanding fast and spreading your population among many colonies will grant larger population, income and industrial output to the Blue Avian Empire
    I agree, as long as there is lots of free uncolonized lebensraum to get there is little point in splitting the military for invasion and above all occupation..
    Btw oh, great Avian, now that the excitement has died down a bit could you give a little run-down on the state of the planets in the empire? Population, industries and the like? To bask in the glory of your achievements of course
    I alone have the right to use my avatar!

See the proof

Retooling for the Spy class Surveillance Vessels has been completed, and the ESNE Mata Hari and ESNE James Bond have been laid down. Because they are so much smaller than the shipyard capacity (2,000 ton ships built in a 15,000 ton yard) they will finish in less than a year... in plenty of time to join our second Wolf 294 expedition.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

I forgot, do we know who the non-prix wrecks that were in the wolf system belong to? There might be another technologically advanced race out there as well.

I think that story wise it would be interesting to attack at least one other species and stay friends with one other one. I'd like to see some ground combat and if there are any kinks with occupation, but it would also be interesting to have diplomatic story options.
    I resent any "science" which tells me I can't have my cake and eat it. I am however a huge fan of quantum physics.

"So while Libya should have done much better, i think they did quite well with Gaddafi." - Klausewitz

Keeper of the seven keys Lord Martin's Avatar
    200k clubVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hey Emu, was my character transfered to a geo. vessel, or am I still in the HQ?
    Since the custom avatars are gone, I´m aiming at 1.000.000 posts instead!!!!
    998.334 posts left...

Quote Originally Posted by Meanmanturbo View Post
    I agree, as long as there is lots of free uncolonized lebensraum to get there is little point in splitting the military for invasion and above all occupation..
    Btw oh, great Avian, now that the excitement has died down a bit could you give a little run-down on the state of the planets in the empire? Population, industries and the like? To bask in the glory of your achievements of course
    Earth : 975,000,000 pop, Sector HQ level-2, 8 shipyards (3 civ/5 mil), 17 slipways, 750 constr factories, 230 missile factories, 115 fighter factories, 384 refineries (shut down), 677 mines, 131 automated mines (awaiting shipment out), 5 mass drivers (ditto), 5 terraforming stations (ditto), 45.8 research labs (the other 0.2 lab is in transit to Earth), 125 financial centers.

Mars : 26,540,000 pop, 70 factories, 108 mines, 8 automated mines (awaiting shipment out), 1 mass driver, 5 terraforming stations.

Dravar XV : 2,160,000 pop, 20 factories, 1 fighter factory (inactive), 6 automated mines, fuel stockpile for scout-ships.

The Nexus : 1,400,000 pop, 17 factories, 2 automated mines, fuel stockpile for scout-ships.

Sigma Draconis A-II : 1,320,000 pop, fuel stockpile for scout-ships.

Titania : 111 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Titan : 76 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Comet of the Platypus : 72 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Lindgren Asteroid : 25 automated mines, 1 mass driver

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martin
    Hey Emu, was my character transfered to a geo. vessel, or am I still in the HQ?
    You are commanding ESN Agassiz, currently exploring near (not in) Wolf 294, and now headed for Sigma Draconis A-II to refuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Seli
    I forgot, do we know who the non-prix wrecks that were in the wolf system belong to?
    No, there is no ownership indicated, which means that we've never seen that class of ship before. It might belong to anyone, including (but not necessarily) to known aliens.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

Since you can not have it all on a ship, I recommend to expand the tonnage of militaries shipyards.

Maybe in the long run you can build a few factories of fighters in Dravar XV.
    - La esperanza es como el azúcar en el té. Aunque es muy poca, todo lo endulza.
    Proverbio chino

... so all of our colonies have passed 1 million population, but only Mars is really "developed". The others have barely begun developing.

Since you can not have it all on a ship, I recommend to expand the tonnage of military shipyards.
    I would prefer to settle the resource shortage before increasing the ways in which we can SPEND minerals.

Maybe in the long run you can build a few factories of fighters in Dravar XV.
    Not sure why we would need them there... our Carriers get built on Earth.

I was planning to ship that single Fighter factory back to Earth.

Commander SteveW in ESN Chandrasekhar has completed his Grav-survey of the Tau Ceti system. It has a total of six jump points. Proceeding to P Eridani to explore for new jump points.

+ Reply to Thread